• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Reminisce About Great NBA Basketball Moments from the 90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsidane

Scottie-Pippen.jpg

Love this guy!

Starks' dunk over Jordan and Horace Grant was called "The Dunk" - it's the gold standard of poster dunks in the 90s. To this day, you could even search for "the dunk" on Google and get the image as the first result. It used to be listed as the first entry under "dunk" or "basketball" in the Encarta encyclopedia too. lol.

Anyway, it's too hard to pick my favorite 90s NBA moment, but I'll just go with The Dunk because it's such a seminal thing. Second would be defeating the Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals in 1994; Scottie Pippen storming off salty with seconds left in the last game will live in my heart forever. <3

TheNatural

My Member!
Starks' dunk over Jordan and Horace Grant was called "The Dunk" - it's the gold standard of poster dunks in the 90s. To this day, you could even search for "the dunk" on Google and get the image as the first result. It used to be listed as the first entry under "dunk" or "basketball" in the Encarta encyclopedia too. lol.

Anyway, it's too hard to pick my favorite 90s NBA moment, but I'll just go with The Dunk because it's such a seminal thing. Second would be defeating the Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals in 1994; Scottie Pippen storming off salty with seconds left in the last game will live in my heart forever. <3

Glad the refs could give you that gift.

tumblr_m1rk6pxWy61r6up4oo1_400.gif

penny04.gif

"And now for the latest trick in Orlando. Penny makes Patrick disappear... Poor Patrick" -NBA Action

As a massive Ewing fan, my friends gave me heaps of shit because of this dunk :/

lil smoke

Banned
Kenny Skywalker, at the time, brought a lot of controversy from the young-uns at the time who thought he was better than Jordan because he had 2-3 dunks that were really all the same. Plus, the rest of his game left a lot to be desired.

Was it the 90s when the Kings were the shit w/ Webber, J will, Divac... they were the most exciting team I've ever seen to this day. People don't realize that there was a time when the original J Will was one sick motherfuckin passer.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's really amazing how good the NBA was then, and then NBA Jam hit and you got a lot more people out there familiar with it. It was such a great relationship.

bionic77

Kenny Skywalker, at the time, brought a lot of controversy from the young-uns at the time who thought he was better than Jordan because he had 2-3 dunks that were really all the same. Plus, the rest of his game left a lot to be desired.

Was it the 90s when the Kings were the shit w/ Webber, J will, Divac... they were the most exciting team I've ever seen to this day. People don't realize that there was a time when the original J Will was one sick motherfuckin passer.
Thats was the 00s.

Webber didn't do shit in the 90s except cash checks. I think he got caught with weed or something on one occasion too.

JB1981

The NBA in the 1990's was a magical time. So many great players. Even the big men could hit 15 foot jump shots. This was the NBA at it's finest.

My family was fortunate enough to share season tickets to the bulls from the late 80's through the late 90's. I got to experience so many of those great Bulls moments, including Jordan in his prime. Pretty amazing memories.

It really was. I don't know if it's nostalgia but I feel like the NBA will never be the same.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The two shots that really stick in my mind are Jordan's shot in Utah and the WFC in the 1999-2000 season with that alleyoop from Kobe to Shaq. Really before the end of the decade, I was mostly watching MLB and NFL because that's what my parents were watching, but basketball quickly became my favourite sport; Especially because it was so easy to go out to a court and play with a few buddies.

cdyhybrid

Dream Team documentary is fucking fantastic, if anyone in this thread hasn't watched it yet you need to get on that shit.

Also,

KQ4EwZM.jpg

Loves the '95 -'96 season. Rejuvenated Jordan, added Rodman, Penny and Shaq looked invincible, Knicks were still playing that tough physical basketball, Hill/Kidd were coming off co-rookie of the year, Magic came out of retirement, 72-win season, epic playoff shoes for Jordan and Pippen, etc.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I had the Starks dunk poster up in my bedroom. I was a huge Knicks fan. When he went 2 for 18 in Game 7 of the Finals, I was at a pool party and made a scene. I still can't believe that shooting performance.

Raptomex

I'm not a huge fan of basketball but I remember as a kid seeing Michael Jordan all over TV and constantly hearing his name.

I was a Pistons fan, so it's nice that were allowing the late 80's in here as well. Dumars was always my favorite and Vinnie Johnson's 007 shot was the big one that I remember. Was a bit too young to really remember the painful losses to the Celtics and Lakers before they finally took the title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWNz069IatE

As I was pretty young at the time I didn't really get how disliked the Bad Boys were among other fans.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Awesome thread.

How about Jerry Stackhouse as a Rookie talking shit about MJ and then getting absolutely destroyed by MJ that game. Lol worst thing you could do was give Jordan extra incentive to beat your ass

h3ro

So many memories.

The Dunk, LJ's 4 point play, Patrick's missed finger roll, Chris Childs snuffing young kobe and of course... Reggie.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ah, the era where a defensive player could actually touch an offensive player and not get called for a foul.

Today a guy gets breathed on and they're blowing the whistle. It is why I stopped watching years ago.

numble

Ah, the era where a defensive player could actually touch an offensive player and not get called for a foul.

Today a guy gets breathed on and they're blowing the whistle. It is why I stopped watching years ago.
They call fewer fouls today than in the 90s, and shoot fewer free throws than in the 90s.

giggler

Banned
best moment: nick anderson steals the ball from jordan.
worst moment: brick anderson missing four consecutive freethrows.

haha, I made a similar post a couple years ago about those awesome NBA tapes that used to come out. Technically not a single moment of course, but those videos sum up 90's (and 80's) basketball for me.

copied/pasted post below (so uh, don't up the old thread)

512XQ6JGSYL._SS500_.jpg

d74e90b809a0fa1cdaa15110.L.jpg

519al3-%2BUvL.jpg

randomly watching Top Gun on Netflix last night, it made me realize that I actually don't associate "Take My Breath Away" with the movie...but instead, this Jordan video.

I wore the hell out of these videos back when I was like 10. I think they came free with a Sports Illustrated subscription or something? Thankfully, youtube seems to have a ton of clips from it. Some of my favs:

Dominique Wilkins (starts off slow, but love the editing starting at 1:42)
Charles Barkley (BANG BANG! I AM THE WARRIOR!)
Dr. J (I just realized this is the reason why I still know this song by heart, 20 years later, lol)
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon
Tim Hardaway/Chris Mullin (Killer Crossover son! Also...is that a neckbeard on Chris Mullin?)
Rock It
Are You Ready To Fly...with Shawn Bradley?

and this playlist has a ton of other videos

The other tape I used to watch constantly back in the day is Michael Jordan: Come Fly With Me.

I don't keep up with the current NBA as much, so uh, I guess this is a nostalgia thread. 20th century stuff only, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom