• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's suppose the rumors are right and PS5/XSX will indeed sell for more than US$499... say, $599... or more

I feel I'm going to be linking this page until I die but here it is again: https://electronics360.globalspec.c...l-release-hardware-analysis-60gb20gb-teardown

Key quote about pricing and especially how Europe subsidised the US/Japan launch price.

Not sure what the point is, are you saying that Sony subsidised some regions by increasing the price in others thereby not causing hardware losses for Sony? Because that's not what your quote says at the end, specifically "may also be part of a Sony pricing strategy to minimize hardware losses over time as well". If Sony are looking to minimise hardware losses over time, they have unsustainable hardware losses to begin with

THE:MILKMAN

Not sure what the point is, are you saying that Sony subsidised some regions by increasing the price in others thereby not causing hardware losses for Sony? Because that's not what your quote says at the end, specifically "may also be part of a Sony pricing strategy to minimize hardware losses over time as well". If Sony are looking to minimise hardware losses over time, they have unsustainable hardware losses to begin with

I think that is what it suggests, i.e. price it lower in some regions and higher in others to pay for it, no? The main point is PS3 HW didn't lose the often quoted $2-300 per unit the internet says. More like $100 for those units in NA/JPN the first year a lot of which was recouped by selling it in the EU/UK higher for 6 months. It would still have been a loss but actually not that much overall.

This is just talking about the launch HW itself. The revisions/slims/node redesigns of the chips cost them a packet leading to big losses for the whole gen combined with massively lower sales than PS2.

Winter John

Gold Member
Iv'e been thinking more and more lately that consoles will eventually be considered a luxury item.

No doubt. Before Covid shut everything down MS and Sony could have gotten fat on $600 consoles. I reckon those days are gone now. I don't know anyone who isn't struggling

THEAP99

Banned
$600 = me waiting till next year cus I don’t want to spend that much when the library isn’t big yet & if it’s a faulty model

gypsygib

People spend $1000+ every two years on a new phone that functions almost identically to the one they already had, so I think spending $600 on a console isn't outrageous (although many people don't feel the price of a phone because they pay for it monthly as part of their phone service bill).

That being said, if Xbox Series X launched at $400 and PS5 at $500 we'd definitely have a horse race. Sony has to make money from Playstation, it's a major source of revenue for the company whereas MS doesn't need Xbox at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom