• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk 4-way fighting games

Gleethor

559915_51187_front.jpg

I had a bunch of fun with this back in the day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SFxTK is a pretty bad 1v1 fighting game but it's a fun little time waster in 2v2. Some of the mechanics lend themselves to absolute chaos in 2v2.

Wouldn't keep you entertained forever, but it's something.

Anung

Un Rama
Anarchy_Reigns_box_art.jpg

All day urr day. Too bad the player base died hella fast and there's no local multi.

To quote Terminator..."And maybe it'll be enough if you know that in the few hours we had together we loved a lifetime's worth." Fucking loved Anarchy Reigns and the short time that its online thrived was fan-bloody-tastic. It's truly a shame it doesn't have local MP as I could at least play the shit out of it with some mates (could make a nice stand in for Melee)

That soundtrack is just...damn goood.

Satchel

Banned
I'm surprised at how much Powerstone 1 holds up. I think it holds up better than 2 mainly because in 2 the arenas get too big and the camera zooms way too far back for the game to be as fun as it could be.

But a Powerstone 3 with online and 4 players in tighter more focused arenas would be spectacular as a DD title for $15-$20.

Allow for bots and local multi too for when the community eventually dies off.

Skyzard

Banned
*Sees Samurai Gunn gif*
*Notices it's an awesome indie*
*Types +vita into google*

jackpot

Spelunky in adventure mode co-op is a great fighter. Also PSASBR.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
PoyPoy was what I had in mind when I click on this thread

Other than this, Smash Bros and Jump Superstar series are great too

I am I going to have to be the guy to always bring up Urban Rei--
urban_reign.jpg

One of my favorite PS2 games. There's a ton of variety in gameplay designs and a good amount of depth in the game. I think a game like this could blow up in the tournament scene, mostly due to the team aspect. It's also entertaining and easy to understand for spectators
iuxU6ESF3tTrw.gif

I can't believe they never made another Power Stone game. Such great gameplay, art direction and polish. It seemed like it could have really caught on too. Such a shame.

Evilisk

A few of my favourites have already been mentioned (like Kung Fu Chaos) so here are some others that don't seem to have been mentioned yet.

This was sort of 4 way; IIRC you could set up 4 way fights though you could only have two human players unfortunately. It's still a fun game, I guess you could basically sum it up as 3D Rampage, except with more characters and it's more focused with you beating the other players.

People have already pointed out Jump Super Stars and its sequel Jump Ultimate Stars, so I thought I would give this a mention. J-Stars Victory Vs. is sort of similar to War of the Monsters in that 4 way fights are possible, though there can only be two human players locally. That said the online does allow 4 human players fighting at once.

Unlike its DS counterparts, this is on a console (PS3), it's a 3D game and the cast and overall content is probably going to be less than the Jump Stars games. It also hasn't released yet and may not be announced for the West but on the plus you'll be able to import it because of no region locking at least.

This is a straight up Smash clone. It's also available for PS3, 360 and Wii. It's not that great to play but it has quite a bit of fanservice.

This wasn't a full Smash clone (IIRC you had health bars, and no damage system but similar platforming style), ring outs (and ring out effect) and it was also made by the same team (I think). I don't remember it being that fun.

GAF is already pretty familiar with this but I might as well post it. Rather than be a Smash clone, it tried to do its own thing though YMMV as opposed to whether that was a good or bad thing.

I've never played this before but it seems to be only accessed through PSN.

I can't believe they never made another Power Stone game. Such great gameplay, art direction and polish. It seemed like it could have really caught on too. Such a shame.

is there any official word why? because wtf capcom!! i remember it being popular back then.. seems like the perfect time to at least run HD remasters of 1 or 2 on PSN and XBL..
the director is Hideaki Itsuno. He also co-directed RIVAL SCHOOLS. DMC 2 3 and 4 and "planned" sf alpha. <3 he still works at capcom according to wikipedia. also, he's on twitter..

Top Bottom