• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about "creepshots"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Party

I'm trying to catch up on this thread, but it seems like some people are asking for a law against taking photos of strangers in public without their consent. That is incredibly ridiculous and simply unworkable.

Yoga pants on girls with nice asses are great.

Creeping on them, whether it's to snap a photo or not, is not great.

That's all I got.

FyreWulff

Yoga pants on girls with nice asses are great.

Creeping on them, whether it's to snap a photo or not, is not great.

That's all I got.

No them wearing their pants means people can't just stop their arms from reaching into their pocket, going into camera mode, setting up the shot and pressing take photo

it's like reflex, those women should wear clothes that hide their hips, legs, chest, breasts, arms, and hair from all angles

Kinyou

Maybe drop the idea that everything is done for you and other people aren't your property?
Erm where do you even get the idea that this is what I meant? I was just asking if there's a piece of clothing that offers the same advantages without attracting unwanted attention.

FyreWulff

Erm where do you even get the idea that this is what I meant? I was just asking if there's a piece of clothing that offers the same advantages without attracting unwanted attention.

Have you ever wanted to wear shorts but had to wear jeans instead because you were thinking if people would try to take pictures of you?

Why should women have to worry about this? Especially with wear that covers their entire legs anyway. The female body shouldn't have to be something they have to hide and be less comfortable because some people can't control themselves.

Aubry v. Éditions Vice-Versa inc., [1998] 1 S.C.R. 591, was a decision by the Supreme Court of Canada in which the claimant, Pascale Claude Aubry, brought an action against Éditions Vice-Versa for publishing a photo taken of her in public. She claimed the photographing was a violation of her right to privacy under the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms. The Court held that under Quebec law a photographer can take photographs in public places but may not publish the picture unless permission has been obtained from the subject.

The Court limited this requirement to exclude persons whose photographs were taken during an event of public interest. That is, a person of public interest or equally an unknown person who is implicated in a public matter cannot claim image rights. Consequently, anyone's photograph that was incidental to a photo of some matter will be treated as part of the background and will not be able to claim their rights were violated.

So that's pretty much what I was asking for, and it looks like Canada (Quebec) already implemented it.

Trey

Especially with wear that covers their entire legs anyway. The female form shouldn't have to be something they have to hide and be less comfortable because some people can't control themselves.

While the act is kind of creepy, it's a picture taken in a public setting.

So that's pretty much what I was asking for, and it looks like Canada (Quebec) already implemented it.

And I imagine it requires some sort of cease and desist.. and you have to be able to identify yourself.

Not sure ass shots are going to be easily applied to such laws or how they are enforced.

FyreWulff

While the act is kind of creepy, it's a picture taken in a public setting.

That's not an excuse. Most of the example pics are on private property, anyway.

You are confusing someone being in a public place with their body being public property. Just because a woman is inside a store or bakery or on the sidewalk doesn't mean they've signed themselves away to people that don't have any decency.

That's not an excuse. Most of the example pics are on private property, anyway.

You don't have a legal expectation of privacy in a bakery or on a sidewalk or in a store.

Edit: It's totally ok for people to think that these things are weird and to be offended by them. But it's not a legal issue. It's an ethical one. And taking pictures in public is legal. Leering at women is legal. Wearing yoga pants is legal. Don't like it all you want. Call out people that do it, but they aren't doing anything other than offending you, and we don't live in a world where you have a legal right to expect to not be offended.

The only difference is the private property owner could bar photography.

Has nothing to do with your right to privacy.. walking around a mall or a park it's the same.

Kinyou

Have you ever wanted to wear shorts but had to wear jeans instead because you were thinking if people would try to take pictures of you?

Why should women have to worry about this? Especially with wear that covers their entire legs anyway. The female body shouldn't have to be something they have to hide and be less comfortable because some people can't control themselves.
If you can change the creeps then please go for it.

And yes, if I would wear some hotpants people would probably take pics of me, though probably more to laugh at and not for their sexual pleasure.

Some dope took a picture of me on the train when I was recording audio with an H4... I feel so violated being a victim of this new craze.

If you can change the creeps then please go for it.

That's what they're doing through applying societal pressure. It won't be easy or fast, but just as sexual harassment in the workplace was much more common and accepted 50 years ago, the hope is this type of behavior will become similarly unacceptable.

Ryaaan14

Banned
lol I took one of these when I was in high school, and it was actually pretty fucking hilarious.

My friend and I were in Best Buy, and I happened to have a disposable camera with me. We were walking down one of the aisles and we see this girl with an amazing ass. So I got my friend's attention, pulled the camera out, and snapped it at the girl.

To my dismay...THE GOD DAMN FLASH WAS CHARGED!!!

The girl clearly knew I had taken a picture of her ass, and turned around and chuckled at us.

Apparently the internet takes this shit more seriously than people in real life, or at least 10 years ago.

CooTooLoo

Banned
I'm a bisexual female who pretty much always dresses to be looked at.. I dress mostly for women's attention, but men check me out too and it doesn't, and shouldn't ever bother me.
I also follow behind women when shopping, and sometimes even go down the same aisle just to admire their figure.

When it comes to the whole idea of people taking pictures.. to me it's just an extension of looking at someone.
I would love it if I caught someone taking pictures of me, especially if they were attractive. It's just.. complimenting..

I don't do squats so people don't look at my ass.

Blasty

This isn't something that a lot of people worry about.

lol I took one of these when I was in high school, and it was actually pretty fucking hilarious.

My friend and I were in Best Buy, and I happened to have a disposable camera with me. We were walking down one of the aisles and we see this girl with an amazing ass. So I got my friend's attention, pulled the camera out, and snapped it at the girl.

To my dismay...THE GOD DAMN FLASH WAS CHARGED!!!

The girl clearly knew I had taken a picture of her ass, and turned around and chuckled at us.

Apparently the internet takes this shit more seriously than people in real life, or at least 10 years ago.

Well, back then that picture would have stayed as the masturbation materials of some teenage boys, and probably destroyed in due time.

Nowadays though, upload an ass pic to the internet and you can expect it to stay.

Why is this an issue?

Is this hurting individuals?

Do they think creepshot takers (Man & women) need to be fined/jailed?

I don't see the reason for the outrage, can someone explain why we don't ignore this as another thing that we can't control and doesn't cause any real harm to anyone, we already do that for hundreds of things.

People who need to take pictures have no imagination and have shitty memories.

All the beautiful girls I see through the day, they all stay up in my head until I fall asleep and they fade away, along with my regrets for not talking with them.

Yoga pants are awesome though. I wouldn't take a photo though. Knowing my luck, if I got past the creepy feeling, I'd drop the camera, break it, and then would get punched in the face from the girl's boyfriend who CAME OUT OF NOWHERE.

Taking voyeuristic photos and keeping them for something sexual in nature is... weird.

Muffdraul

I don't see a way to legally prevent someone from snapping a long distance pic of a girl standing on a crowded beach in her bikini. People out in public have cameras and are free to use them. People, including women, including women who have chosen to wear whatever, are going to get photographed by people they don't know. It's going to happen. Sometimes it will be because they were just in a certain place in a certain time and someone nearby happened to be taking a photo, and sometimes because there's a disgusting perverted creep with a camera who wants to beat off to it later. Chalk it up to the cost of living in a free society.

Obviously something like surreptitiously holding a little camera phone up to someone's crotch is over the line. OBVIOUSLY.

Creeps have existed and been doing creepy things since always. Now they have camera phones, because everyone has camera phones. The more I think about it the more I think the outrage is a joke.

Kagami

HOLY SHIT!

REESE'S 4 for 5!?

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUu

EsBV9.jpg

This is why they make most camera shutter noises always on, so in ways steps are already being taken to at least shame the creep taking the photo.

Why is this an issue?

Is this hurting individuals?

Do they think creepshot takers (Man & women) need to be fined/jailed?

I don't see the reason for the outrage, can someone explain why we don't ignore this as another thing that we can't control and doesn't cause any real harm to anyone, we already do that for hundreds of things.

Um, Yes? Some people don't like being photographed by strangers, or having photos of them up on the internet for more strangers to perv on them. How hard is that to understand?

Volimar

It's shitty and perverted. There is a huge swath of women who model, why take such shots?

Plus, it's not just taking your picture without your knowledge or consent, but once they post it, it's out there forever. You just know that some lady was driving down the road one day and saw herself in a bikini on some billboard for plastic surgeons or weight loss pills or something like that.

So creepy.

Veezy

que?
Now you're putting words into his mouth. Damn.

Not putting words in anybody's mouth.

Broski makes a statement, qualifying said statement around the wearing of yoga pants, that American women have no class. Also, he calls them liars, if I'm interpreting his statement correctly, because no woman would wear yoga pants for comfort.

I made a statement asking for clarification of his statement, qualifying my statement with multiple American women I'm close to, looking for clarification about his opinion on these women. Indeed, are the women in my life Jezebels? Harlots? Succubi who know that every article the put upon themselves, if not properly covered, will bring about the lustful desires, possibly violent, of other men? Sometimes, my mother wears a skirt when she's out to dinner with my father. How classless, oh the rogue mistress is. After all, he feels they're all lacking "class." I'm just asking what that truly means.

This thread is a joke, not that it shouldn't be discussed but how certain people are talking about it, and his post just happened to set me off. A bunch of grown ass men, not everybody in this thread mind you, making statements that are demeaning to women and justifying having their pictures taken simply because of how they dress. It's fucking bull shit and it's that exact same mentality that brings about victim blaming in rape cases.

The fact that creep shot shit exists is bad enough, but to have people justify it, and then blame it happening on the women themselves, is outrageous. If a woman wants to dress a particular way, whether she's doing it for the attention of men or not, that shouldn't mean that it's acceptable for random men to take pictures of her. Her dress is not justification for anything. I don't believe their should be a law, per se, to prevent public photos as that would just be a judicial nightmare, but we definitely shouldn't be encouraging activity like this or saying "well, chick shoulda covered up more, nawmean mang? When see an a-a-ass so phat I just can't help myself."

Atrus

Gold Member
Being in public makes you part of the general backdrop. While people ought to have rights to identifiable pictures of themselves and the right to protect their image from defamation or monetization, it is a difficult and oftentimes nonsensical idea to police pictures of people being posted for displaying exactly what they've chosen to display to the public.

If there is an isolated event in public, will it be a crime to take unconsented photos of it? A flash mob for instance? Children playing around an open fire hydrant? How about satorialists who might want to chronicle the jeans wear around their local city?

A woman once showed me a photo of another woman's sandals to show me what she was criticizing. Creepy or informational?

What if someone jacks off to or onto some photo of some famous model? The 'crime' as it were is the same, do we arrest them for abuse of images?

If we're able to tell what exactly goes on is someone's mind, do we simply translate the laws over?

This "sudden interest" is typically more urban paranoia that runs in concert with urban isolationism. The only winners are lawyers.

Izick

Hey I get it, I mean I understand if you want to check out a hot girl/guy, but why take a picture of them? I mean, I don't know, it's just weird and doesn't make sense to me.

Canada FTFL. Creepshots are creepy and fucked up, but that is an absurd decision.

Side note: I was on a boat recently, and some creepy dude was taking a bunch of pictures of me. I don't know if it counts as a "creepshot" because he wasn't even trying to be remotely subtle about it. The thought of being masturbation material for some random creep is both terrifying and strangely flattering. I don't know, I'm so confused right now.

Edit: I don't know if I was asking for it. I was wearing skinny jeans that showed off my ass?

Canada FTFL. Creepshots are creepy and fucked up, but that is an absurd decision.

Side note: I was on a boat recently, and some creepy dude was taking a bunch of pictures of me. I don't know if it counts as a "creepshot" because he wasn't even trying to be remotely subtle about it. The thought of being masturbation material for some random creep is both terrifying and strangely flattering. I don't know, I'm so confused right now.

Edit: I don't know if I was asking for it. I was wearing skinny jeans that showed off my ass?
You were asking for it. Bad bad boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom