• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
We ll see, driveclub was the first exclusive and it was going to fill the ps4 release at fall, it failed and by a large margin, ive seen uncharted 4 gameplay but that is not a garantiee per se, we have seen metal gear solid v phamtom pain gameplay 3 years ago and its not out yet, i really hope im wrong but im not very confident.

lol. What are you even talking about? What on earth does MGSV or Driveclub have to do with Uncharted 4? They're completely different games from completely different studios.

Well then here is my List of Predictions

First Party Studios

• Guerilla Games - Horizon
  • Sony Bend - Horro Game
  • Polyphoni Digital - Gran Turismo
  • Sony Japan - Gravity Rush 2 and/or the Big Budget JRPG
  • Sony Japan - The Last Guardian
  • Media Molecule - New IP (Morpheus)
  • Sony London - New IP (Morpheus)
  • San Diego - MLB The Show 16

Second/Third Party Studios - Exclusives
  • Level 5 - New IP/JRPG
  • Bamco - Tales of
  • Sega - One of their Ps4 Exclusives
  • Square Enix - Final Fantasy Dissida + Final Fantasy 12 Remaster
  • Capcom - Street Fighter V
  • Capcom - Deep Down + Dragons Dogma in the West
  • Koei - Another Mosou Game/Spin-Off

Announcements + Reveals in 2016 (For 2017/2018)
  • Quantic Dream - New IP
  • Santa Monica - God of War 4
  • Guerilla Cambridge - Killzone 4
  • Ready at Dawn - The Order 188?
  • Naughty Dog - The Last of Us 2
  • Warner Bros - Superman
  • Level 5 - Ni No Kuni 2
  • Bamco - Tales of + some japanese niche games
  • Square Enix - Final Fantasy Crisis Core Remaster
  • Rockstar North - Agent (Time Exclusive) --- Let me Dream

TLG is totally a holiday '15 release
I believe this. The game has to come out eventually and it's not going to get a long hype train. It will be revealed year of release when they're positive it won't slip. I think it'll be this year.

Generally people in here seem to think nothing will ever actually come out until the end of the generation.

I believe this. The game has to come out eventually and it's not going to get a long hype train. It will be revealed year of release when they're positive it won't slip. I think it'll be this year.

Generally people in here seem to think nothing will ever actually come out until the end of the generation.

I agree with the idea but I'd extend that out a little bit more than just year of release. I'm going with an E3 2015 re-reveal and Early 2016 release, like Bloodborne.

Cause no aaa arrived on time specially being anounced only half a year ago, i seriously doubt it will happen this year.

Uncharted 4 was announced over a year ago. 2013 is when first teaser was released. The only cause for a delay would be the new leads taking over and making some big changes, but they have given no indication that will be an issue.

GobFather

Well then here is my List of Predictions

First Party Studios

• Guerilla Games - Horizon
  • Sony Bend - Horro Game
  • Polyphoni Digital - Gran Turismo
  • Sony Japan - Gravity Rush 2 and/or the Big Budget JRPG
  • Sony Japan - The Last Guardian
  • Media Molecule - New IP (Morpheus)
  • Sony London - New IP (Morpheus)
  • San Diego - MLB The Show 16

Second/Third Party Studios - Exclusives
  • Level 5 - New IP/JRPG
  • Bamco - Tales of
  • Sega - One of their Ps4 Exclusives
  • Square Enix - Final Fantasy Dissida + Final Fantasy 12 Remaster
  • Capcom - Street Fighter V
  • Capcom - Deep Down + Dragons Dogma in the West
  • Koei - Another Mosou Game/Spin-Off

Announcements + Reveals in 2016 (For 2017/2018)
  • Quantic Dream - New IP
  • Santa Monica - God of War 4
  • Guerilla Cambridge - Killzone 4
  • Ready at Dawn - The Order 188?
  • Naughty Dog - The Last of Us 2
  • Warner Bros - Superman
  • Level 5 - Ni No Kuni 2
  • Bamco - Tales of + some japanese niche games
  • Square Enix - Final Fantasy Crisis Core Remaster
  • Rockstar North - Agent (Time Exclusive) --- Let me Dream

Wow, I can't wait... i hope its true lol but my wallet :(

This should have been released in the 12 months before U4. What is Sony doing? Its free money.

There's three perspectives to it. Either from a studio perspective, or from an IP perspective, or a sequel set-up perspective.

Most people are going in from the lense that a 'Master Thief Collection' release before UC4 would be good timing to set up newcomers into the franchise and build up UC4 hype.

At the same time, because ND works on a two-year dev cycle, releasing MTC next year would benefit the studio's in the sense that ND is always in spotlight every year with a major title release attributed to the studio every year. 2013 was TLoU, 2014 was Remastered, 2015 UC4, 2016 MTC, and 2017 New Game.

On an IP perspective... Uncharted movie is coming out in 2016. Releasing the collection alongside the movie wouldn't be a bad idea.

We ll see, driveclub was the first exclusive and it was going to fill the ps4 release at fall, it failed and by a large margin, ive seen uncharted 4 gameplay but that is not a garantiee per se, we have seen metal gear solid v phamtom pain gameplay 3 years ago and its not out yet, i really hope im wrong but im not very confident.

ND's product release cycle :
2007 : Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
2009 : Uncharted 2 : Among Thieves
2011 : Uncharted 3 : Drake's Deception
2013 : The Last of Us
2015 : Uncharted 4 : A Thief's End (planned)

ND's announcement-till-release cycle:
UC1 : Announced E32006, Released Fall 2007. (1 and half years)
UC2 : Announced VGA2008, Released Fall 2009. (11 months)
UC3 : Announced VGA2010, Released Fall 2011. (11 months)
TLoU : Announced VGA2011, Released June13. (1 and half years)
UC4 : Announced PS4 Launch, Expected Fall 2015. (tentatively almost 2 years)

See a pattern?

jiggle

Anyone making predictions about this is just gambling. :)

It's so unlikely, and yet it's been hidden away so long, it's still utterly possible.

just seems apropos to have TLG and FFvXIII out around the same time

Turkoop

Banned
I'd very happy if Guerilla Cambrige developing KZ 4, Hope the franchise is not dead
BTW

:D
uvM9qub.jpg

Why do people have no hope of Horizon this year? I mean, the game has been in development for 3+ years, and Guerrilla has had a full fledged, market tested engine for more than a year. Wouldn't it be possible to be unveiled on E3 and launched for holidays?

Sony said they have learned their lesson and are not announcing stuff way before launch. I could see them putting out games 6 months after unveiling. I can see how that is kinda dangerous for a new IP, but it can be possible, right?

I just want this game so bad.

Why do people have no hope of Horizon this year? I mean, the game has been in development for 3+ years, and Guerrilla has had a full fledged, market tested engine for more than a year. Wouldn't it be possible to be unveiled on E3 and launched for holidays?

Sony said they have learned their lesson and are not announcing stuff way before launch. I could see them putting out games 6 months after unveiling. I can see how that is kinda dangerous for a new IP, but it can be possible, right?

I just want this game so bad.

It's too short of a time to market such a big game, or they could if they don't have any faith in it.

KAL2006

Banned
There's three perspectives to it. Either from a studio perspective, or from an IP perspective, or a sequel set-up perspective.

Most people are going in from the lense that a 'Master Thief Collection' release before UC4 would be good timing to set up newcomers into the franchise and build up UC4 hype.

At the same time, because ND works on a two-year dev cycle, releasing MTC next year would benefit the studio's in the sense that ND is always in spotlight every year with a major title release attributed to the studio every year. 2013 was TLoU, 2014 was Remastered, 2015 UC4, 2016 MTC, and 2017 New Game.

On an IP perspective... Uncharted movie is coming out in 2016. Releasing the collection alongside the movie wouldn't be a bad idea.

I have a feeling an Uncharted Remastered Trilogy will release fall 2016. And it will come with remade Multiplayer maps from the old games for Uncharted 4 Multiplayer. Similar to how Halo Anniversary had maps for Halo Reach.

mejin

My only fear for UC 4 missing this year release is all the changes the game suffered, Amy leaving, etc...

E3 will definitely easy your worries, at least I hope so. XD
Last Fall, PS4 had no big exclusive to lead the pack of games launched, Sony can't do the same this year, they just can't.

Cincaid

I remember some news (rumors?) around November last year that Level5 was talking about "soon revealing a PS4 exclusive title." Some said they would reveal it at E3 2015, some even said it was Dark Cloud 3. Anyone know anything more solid about it? Dark Cloud 2 was among my favorite games on PS2, but I always assumed Sony just let the IP die.

I remember some news (rumors?) around November last year that Level5 was talking about "soon revealing a PS4 exclusive title." Some said they would reveal it at E3 2015, some even said it was Dark Cloud 3. Anyone know anything more solid about it? Dark Cloud 2 was among my favorite games on PS2, but I always assumed Sony just let the IP die.

I would just kind of assume it'd either be a new IP or Ni No Kuni 2.

Kind of hope Ni No Kuni 2. But Hino did say it'll be announced at E3.

Does Sony have a studio capable of working either with Socom or Warhawk series? How big is Guerrilla Cambridge?
They could do it but I don't think Sony is interested in reviving those. If they wanted Warhawk, they'd go to Dylan Jobe, anyways. He's got his concept for Warhawk 2.

Too bad Lightbox now is crazy small studio :/

I wish the world would stop talking about Lightbox, losing them is still painful :( I really hope they get back on the saddle for another Hawk title at some point. The world needs it.

I could see GG's next game releasing sooner than some anticipate. In there slides for shadows fall at GDC, they were talking about how quick the new Physically Based Lighting and MADDER make level designing pretty easy, and asset production much faster. I don't think I'd rule out 2015 just yet.

Guymelef

It's not a rumor, confirmed.

I can't imagine we'd be getting DC3 without DC1/2 at least getting thrown on PSN as PS2 Classics, if not updated to HD.

grumble

I wish the world would stop talking about Lightbox, losing them is still painful :( I really hope they get back on the saddle for another Hawk title at some point. The world needs it.

I could see GG's next game releasing sooner than some anticipate. In there slides for shadows fall at GDC, they were talking about how quick the new Physically Based Lighting and MADDER make level designing pretty easy, and asset production much faster. I don't think I'd rule out 2015 just yet.

They should make light box do a space exploration game, like no man's sky. It has some similarities I their previous work, it's an easy graphical showpiece, it could be cheap if done well, and te field is wide open on consoles. You'd make two million copies and check a competitive box so easily. Good story, good side quests, neat weapons, secret ships and such... With an accessible feel. Make money.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yoshida confirmed that the PS Move works with the PS4, but has SONY announced any games for it? I think Media Molecule had one demo project for it. I could be wrong.

Eggbok

Yoshida confirmed that the PS Move works with the PS4, but has SONY announced any games for it? I think Media Molecule had one demo project for it. I could be wrong.

There aren't any dedicated Move games for PS4, but there are PS4 games that have Move support like Octodad, LittleBigPlanet 3, Angry Birds: Star Wars, and a few others.

... no.

It's just a "PS4 game", we even don't know if it's PS4 exclusive...

Pretty sure it's a PS4 Exclusive, you know that when a dev states that they will announce their PS4 Game at Sony's E3 Conference. (Also Dark Cloud IP, White Knight IP, Rogue Galaxy IP and others belong to Sony so it would be highly a PS4 Exclusive)

So yesterday Sony released two first party games. They've both been pretty well received, especially Helldivers. Rather than talk about my specific opinions on each game (especially since I won't get to play Helldivers till tonight and Oreshika for a few weeks), I think it's good to look at how they reflect on Sony's publishing process.

Helldivers was developed by Arrowhead without Sony developer support, just typical publisher help. It's Arrowhead's first console game, and in a genre Sony publishes a lot of games in. It's a classic smaller SCE game. Oreshika is a revival of an old, obscure franchise that was Japan only and essentially a complete mystery to the west. They went with the original developer. It's the first RPG they've put out in the west since, what, Folklore? White Knight Chronicles, I guess? Basically, it's not a genre Sony works with much.

I think together, they're a great example of Sony's publishing diversity. They get small developers to make weird, non-mainstream games. And they do it all the time. Last year they put out Counterspy and Hohokum at almost the exact same time. These types of games are my favorite part of Sony's output and why they're my favorite publisher.

Qwark

So any more rumors on that jpg SCEJ was working on? Was that just oreshika?

Nope, not Oreshika since that game's been known about for years. The rumor is that it's a JRPG project to rival Final Fantasy. Come on Legaia Revival.... Or I guess Dragoon revival would be acceptable. Probably be something new though.

SSReborn

I think if Project Morpheus is launching in the early half of 2016 then Gran Turismo 7 is going to launch alongside it in the same timeframe. I really feel like that this should and will be the flagship IP for the device in its infancy.

The problem is I'm ruling out all Level 5 IP because they already said they were going to show something at E3 and it doesn't make sense that the production of what they are gonna show started this month to be honest, has to something else I think.

Production doesn't necessarily include preproduction.

AFAWK, The Order and Shadow of the Beast were both revealed while they were still in preproduction stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom