• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About The Future - Virtual and Augmente Reality

klaushm

Hello fellow Gaffers.

To just start, if you hate or don't like VR or AR at this very moment, read some defenses for it first.
Like this one: People hate changes and will ever EVER find problems with it
OBS: The headache part has already been found false. You won't have it. So, good news :D

Let's begin.

What VR and AR can do for my future?
"Everything" is the short answer that you will not understand a thing, but, it will really be a big step into changing the way we see the world. Made this pun by myself, so proud :3

How can it change my work?
Well.. Don't know about your work specifically, but, think about dangerous environments(toxic gas, phisical harm). In a chemical lab, you wouldn't need to handle this with a series of equipments on your body for your safety, you could use a robot/drone.
I know there are plenty of locals who already do this, but, you could have a better perception from this robot camera and don't need to see it through a glass which is unsafe compared to the whole structure.
Now, think about confort in work. You could have meetings in virtual space, do presentations, have a better home office integration and even your work tools.

How can it change the way we learn things?
Imagine that you are at your school, learning about history.
I honestly found it boring as hell(sorry for my teachers), but, imagine if you are set in the middle of a World War 2 scene, or Hittler meeting, or in the middle of Egypt.
How awesome would it be to learn like that?
Now, get the stuff you like to learn and add a free "infinity" space of creativity...
No... Why are you thinking that with your teacher? He is a respectful man and don't like clowns.

How it can change the way I live?
Remeber all the talks about meetings at work, teaching at school and stuff? Well... In this future, you could have a life without the needing to step out of your home.
Go to work, library, social meetings, sports game with drone camera(why not?), all this and stay confortable at your couch. Yes, I'm lazy and love this possibility.
This is the closest we can get to the confort of teleportation with actual technology, yet, you need to buy food at market(or order them to deliver, why not?[2]).
You could create your custom home/room with everything you love, and change it at any time. I would have a Buster Blade hanged in my wall for sure.

I will ask you again. How can it change my life, as a normal human been?
Ohhhh. Now I get it. Well... Think about your entertainment: books, cinema, series, fun advertisement(or one you care). I will make it big for some examples.
With books we can have a full imersion of ambient sound as taverns, forests, cities, and voice acting, and scenes, all triggered by your sight. If not, could be a normal digital reading on your digital bookshelf at your room. Both cool.
For cinema and series... First, you don't need a tv anymore. Or you are inside it, or seen a digital TV into your room. Second, you could by digital cinema "seats" to see movies from home. How can it be not great?
For advertisement, everything could have interaction with your world. A picture of car could become 3D and have a preview function so you see it inside and stuff.
Also, we have AdBlock for web, we can block for mobile and will have a way to block it through this, no need to freak about it hehe.

I don't know why, but asked it last. What about my gaming? I'm not feeling it
Rest assured. You will feel it. You will...
Ok, we have 2 fronts here, at VR we are inside the game and AR we make the game come outside. So I will explain VR first then AR.

Gaming with VR
Most of you think that it will be just good at first person games right? Wrong, but so cute.
You'll have a better view of any game, like Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry, God of War and such.
A better HUD for games, since you can have AR inside VR, that keep at the corner, don't bother you and you still have the controll of it.
Even at fighting games, there where some animations that looked lame and weren't developed(and some the were...), like toss an enemy through the screen and turn your head to see it until the main animation camera didn't followed it.
And I still have my trumph card
it's a pun, you will see it
... Card gaming
told you
Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Magic, Hearthstone... You are the player and see your cards been summoned. Is it a dream? No, it's NOW.
Talking about Pokemon... Pokemon VR, please, with fries(patent that NOW)

Gaming with AR
You all were impressed by Hololens, and my too. Seriously. That is the real AR, not that Google and Sony AR ****.
I don't hate Sony, you will see my love for Morpheus at the end.
The first thing is HUD at your house, your screen is clean from this. Happy? Want some more? Ok :3
Game ambient expanded from game to your room, or generated based on your room.
The place where you are, can become the game itself. You can interact with it all time and don't have to mind hiting your house mobile hehe.
Again, card games. You can play them using the cards which have visual effects.
It's awesome to such extent...

And well, it's your choice to get on this dreams or not. Evolution is made of ideas we want to achieve. I belive in a future where AR and VR are on the same machine with smooth controls and everything I've said before.

And what do you belive for the future of VR and AR?

Videos Content:
Morpheus Love Time

Sony Morpheus demos at SVVR expo 2015

How good was the Morpheus demo at GDC 2015?

Microsoft HoloLens demo onstage at BUILD 2015

This is a VR park attraction my friend sent me when I was writing this. Pretty great.
THE VOID

Edit: Can a mod change the title to "Let's Talk About The Future - Virtual and Augmented Reality" ? First thread already a mess.

I'm most excited for Hololens, but not for gaming. It seems further off than VR, and surely you can't play games like FF15 on it.

klaushm

I'm most excited for Hololens, but not for gaming. It seems further off than VR, and surely you can't play games like FF15 on it.

On Hololens? Maybe. It can have some menus/HUD in your room.
On VR HMD? Maybe. A wider screen is already great, and better HUD not getting in the way of your main focus is good.

Most 3rd person games, in my vision, could be played as some of us do using 3 screens, but with a better view and side HUD.

maxresdefault.jpg

That said, VR and AR technology are not mandatory, but... when done right are awesome :)

Top Bottom