• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about the Motorstorm Series - Best Arcade Racing Series in the last 10 yrs

Some of the best racing games of last gen period

pic4.jpg

motorstorm_06.jpg

39056-motorstorm-ps3.jpg

motorstorm_8.jpg

ps3-motorstorm.jpg

MotorStorm_20061009_007.jpg
The dust and litle jumps around the course feels great.

I was really looking forward to this game. Ignoring the infamous e3 trailer I had gotten over and was paying attention to the screens and gameplay vids. While the visuals or physics didn't meet the trailer in anyways. the game ended up with some amazing track design and effects that were just a thrill to play. Upon playing the game I had noticed the game did feel too slow and playing the game in first person was one way to compensate for this. Playing in first person felt better anyways, the mud , dust effects along with the interaction was just much more thrilling in first person.

Track design- What I really love about the series is the track design. They just feel like a part of the world instead of feeling like some sort of circuit enclosed base area. You can go right to left in the more open parts and find short cuts.

The feeling of mud flying up, dust and things hitting you in the face hasn't been done nearly as well in most games. The art style of the characters in this game also give a very wave race feeling to it which is nothing but a plus.

Pros

Amazing track design with nice open areas in parts, short cuts
Dust feels good and adds to the depth of certain tracks
Mud feels fun and can feel the slide in turns
Interaction and jumps feel right

Cons

A bit too slow
A bit messy visually even though the art style is great
Bikes don't feel very good to me

logo.jpg

Lovin the first game I was instantly waiting for the sequel to drop.

First things first, the visuals were made to look quite a bit better. We lost the sand and a lot of the mud but we gained more lush areas along with water. While this isn't exactly better it did fit the series well and was a great game.

Speed was increaesd and some of the physics for contact with cars and the ground were changed and most for the better.

Art style was changed a bit and I prefer the style of the first game a lot more.

Track design was still great, with a mix of open wide areas and smaller ones. I would say this is some of the best track design in gaming and it hasn't been done quite this well in a long time. These feel more like areas you go through where dc feels more like small circuits.

Water was added to be a bit of a cool down system, needing to e brake to make tighter turns and boosting out was a must.

The good

Locals, track design an look was very good
Speed was increased and felt great

The bad

We didn't get any areas that truly fit the canyons of the first game (not a huge negative btw)
Rubber Band AI and just a bit too hard
Art style on characters not quite as good as the first.

MS Apocalypse

LrwH18u.gif

I'll talk about this one least cause it just wasn't as good and lost it's appeal. Character art style was at it's worse, physics and design weren't exactly worse but the earhquake and city areas did hurt the design imo

Physics and dropping down off jumps were a lot faster and not exactly worse to be honest. Tracks were made to look different on different days of the disaster. Tracks also had things happening on each lap such as things falling and crashing. The weather effects and storms were pretty nice but not needed for a top end MS game. having a level or two with a storm in PR would be good enough.

Looking to the future

I hope we can get a mostorstorm hub world that provides remakes of the first two games along with new areas to expand on the formula. New, sand, dust and canyon areas. new jungles an islands to play on. this could really be the ultimate game in the series.

Each land area can be it's own festival and these could be made yearly, or as fast as can be. 6 to 7 tracks per festival area would be amazing.

Driveclub* while a good game, it just isn't mostorstorm and I wish a motorstorm series can get the dlc and post game treatment like this game has.

If there is a new game in the MS series I hope they focus on IQ, effects (dust, wind, rain, grass, water) first and focus on the details and visuals last. A game looking like Driveclub isn't needed, but clear and crisp IQ along with even better physics, effects is.

VR- Most everything I said above, having dust, mud and water flying in your face and these big jumps would be such a thrill. I'd rather have full PS4 versions first though.

I'd love for you guys to share your first time playing the games , screens and whatever else you can. Hope we can bring back the MS feeling along with new fans.

I had some great images of ms 1 and 2 but I don't have them with me right now.

I won't forget the MS rc game- It was good and I enjoyed it. I was looking forward to more games from them in this size and it has yet to happen. I actually had a few top 20 lap times or so back at one time. Really got into it.

I didn't get enough time with the PS2 version of motorsorstorm but physics aren't nearly as nice.

VIDEOS

These are some great things to show people who haven't played the game, just how diverse the physics are. It isn't just a turn left and right game, its very vertical and bounce heavy.

Motorstorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otpaDZGUduc Coyote Rage

Remembering MS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YF9YfcSHDc

More of a typical player on dust devil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAQ2WiqtprE

IGN's nice little review here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju4dwxCxROU

IGN PR Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEWab4YhG10

PR Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsu9jNnRfYU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNiq6sADKyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNiq6sADKyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt6F9uoUOrw crazy crash at the start of this one and this is what makes the game fun you never know what wlll happen

MSA

GS review you can see the way cars drop to the ground a lot faster here pretty easily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ys_a3JPQwY

Motorstorm RC which you should be able to buy digital today (one of the best racers of this type)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmbmhfvHvY

Finally AE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNgk83ipAmA

I always found this game interesting because it's one of those situations where you say, how would this game be on the ps2. (it was made for psp) ported to ps2. And we sort of got this year, even though if it was made for the ps2 and made by evo I'm sure it would have been even better.

Luckily to go against what they say about the tracks, it's true it needed more but I love playing on the levels so much I don't mind

Raide

Imma let you finish, but you spelt Burnout wrong.

Edit: Only ever played the first MotorStorm and it did look amazing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope we one day get a remaster trilogy(or atleast the first two)...Motorstorm was probably the best arcade racer of last gen, yes even better than Burnout Paradise, Blur or Split Second combined

i really wish they would do a another motorstorm like the first one (maybe some tracks with a little less mud an brown) with the driveclub tech

there was one race in the original motorstorm where you had to drive a motorcycle through a canyon and most other cars were trucks. great stuff, almost felt like the canal scene from terminator 2

i am not sure what to think of apocalypse, the "story" is quite naff and i dont think it needed the cinematic section (press triangle to see a building collapse) but it was a fun game anyway

I hope we one day get a remaster trilogy(or atleast the first two)...Motorstorm was probably the best arcade racer of last gen, yes even better than Burnout Paradise, Blur or Split Second combined

I play all sorts of games, Halo, Racing, zelda, Mario, heavenly rain and on and on and after the MCC triology and a few others

MS is at the top of my wanted list. No doubt about that at all. Forget god of war, UC or whatever else. This is a pure game that is just fun.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
MS Apocalypse
I'll talk about this one least cause it just wasn't as good and lost it's appeal.

MSA was awesome, a really nice change from the first two which were essentially iterations on the same game, even if they are good games, it is nice to see some change.

I would love to see Evolution get another MS game out, but after Apocalypse's performance I doubt it will happen.

I've been dying to play the original, I wish it's on PSN. I did get Apocolypse when it was uber cheap weeks ago, but I want the vanilla original to try first.

Excite Truck on Wii is UNBELIEVABLE and I highly encourage everyone to play it, it and Motorstorm always felt like direct rivals.

MSA was awesome, a really nice change from the first two which were essentially iterations on the same game, even if they are good games, it is nice to see some change.

I would love to see Evolution get another MS game out, but after Apocalypse's performance I doubt it will happen.

I think for most it wasn't quite as good. Different and similar at the same time sure, but it just felt a little off. Not to say a story and story levels is a bad idea. It wasn't a bad idea, it just seemed off somewhere though. There were still great tracks and great gameplay though, that's for sure.

I've been dying to play the original, I wish it's on PSN. I did get Apocolypse when it was uber cheap weeks ago, but I want the vanilla original to try first.

Excite Truck on Wii is UNBELIEVABLE and I highly encourage everyone to play it, it and Motorstorm always felt like direct rivals.

Always suggest to learn to play in First person mode if you don't, it ends up feeling awesome when cars are flying over you in jumps and such and helps with the slow speed issue. Mud slinging in your face on tight turns is always nice too.

I also wish they would put the games on PSN, I'd buy them again instantly to have them digitally.

"Let's talk about the Motorstorm Series - Best Arcade Racing Series in the last 10 yrs"

No, seriously OP. Don't offer an opinion, just call it fact.

Motorstorm is the best arcade racing series in the last 10 years as much as I was the best goalkeeper at the last World Cup.

Hint: I don't play professional soccer.

Pacific Rift was amazing, even though the 30fps is a huge flaw. Brilliant track design with lots of shortcuts and alternate routes that suited the crazy action, every lap was different. And I loved the setting. I'd pay full price for an HD remaster with 60fps. The other games are solid but not among my favorite racers.

Excite Truck on the Wii is just SOOOO much better than this game... imo...

I was really disappointed when I played Motorstorm after the greatness that was Excite Truck.

Excite Truck:
* different environments (snow, desert, jungle, northern woods, Scotland, that planet). in Motorstorm everything looks the same.
* terraforming is just awesome
* lots more stuff to do
* less nerve wrecking music
* handling the car is actually fun, which leads to
* the races themselves being more fun

It was just better in any aspect, imo..

drotahorror

Agreed, best arcade racing series ever created.

I actually like the 3rd one just as much as the second one. Apocalypse get s alot of undeserved hate. What a bonkers ass game. Racing on top of rooftops as buildings come crashing down, each lap different from the previous. Riding around a dock being devastated by a tornado on the ocean. There's so many awesome, insane things Apocalypse did.

If we don't get a new Motorstorm this gen, I really hope we atleast get one of the games remastered (all 3 would be so good).

For the record, I didn't think Excite Truck was too hot. Maybe I needed to play it more but my time with it was short.

"Let's talk about the Motorstorm Series - Best Arcade Racing Series in the last 10 yrs"

Motorstorm is the best arcade racing series in the last 10 years as much as I was the best goalkeeper at the last World Cup.

But it is a fact. Even I said so. My word is truth.

Haha, the games are just good to me. I can't believe their overall design and flow of the games. The talent is just there.

DonMigs85

Also could get very hard and frustrating at times, which is something I don't like in Driveclub as well. Evolution should be less sadistic

Excite Truck on the Wii is just SOOOO much better than this game...

I was really disappointed when I played Motorstorm after the greatness that was Excite Truck.

you are entitled to your opinion and that is fine, ET is more of a jump game, not really the tight controls, course design or physics of these games. ET is much more arcade, not anything wrong with it. I just prefer the MS series.

El-Suave

I disliked Apocalypse because it didn't feature nearly as many alternative routes for the different vehicles at once as the other games did, but Motorstorm and Pacific Rift were really great. I don't get why we don't get another one of those because nobody covers that part of the racing game genre. We clearly should have one of those this generation to see what can be done technically. If Evolution would be up for it it's really short sighted by Sony not to let them make another game.

Maengun1

Motorstorm was the early PS3 game that blew me away when I first saw it. So pretty. I sunk a ton of hours into it first year of release. Haven't touched it in probably 5 or 6 years, but now I want to dust it off and give it a spin.

Espada

Also could get very hard and frustrating at times, which is something I don't like in Driveclub as well. Evolution should be less sadistic

Yeah, it seems like they don't want to drop the rubber band AI. I like a good challenge but MS:pR was actually pissing me off at how unreasonable the difficulty became.

Count me among those that would love to see these three games remastered or a brand new installment created.

Absolutely loved Apocalypse. Too bad it's now morally wrong to like it.

Yeah, Apocalypse was my favourite (joint with Arctic Edge, which OP barely even mentioned!) Not the best racing series of the last 10 years for sure, but some very solid and enjoyable racers with great graphics and some awesome moments.

Motorstorm was freakin awesome! I actually prefered the first one out of all of them. Pacific Rift was 'too' detailed qith its plants and stuff and I used to hit decora of tracks that i couldnt really see because of all too much decor..

DonMigs85

Arctic Edge was also one of the best looking PSP games around. Amazing detail and texture work for the platform.

tzare

agreed. In fact the 3 games (not including Artic Edge) are really different from each other, despite having the same basics which makes the series even more awesome. I also have a hard time trying to choose one of them since each one is really unique.

GamerJM

Banned
I was going to bring up Burnout, but then I realized that it's been over 10 years since we got a good game in that series holy shit (unless you count the 360 port of Revenge)

I guess Split/Second was really fun though that's not a series, but that's the only thing in the genre I've really enjoyed in the last 10 years. I played the Motorstorm demo way back when and didn't like how the vehicles handled for some reason.

I agree, best arcade racing series of last gen next to WipEout HD of course. Had sooo much fun playing these games especially PR which undoubtedly represents the pinnacle of the franchise.
Apocalypse was pretty good too, with all that shit going down, love the tornado on the beach!!

Hope we'll get a new one on PS4...a DC season pass would be cool too.

I didn't play Artic Edge as much as I should, not bad at all for a psp game and from what I played the track design held up pretty decently. I was actually playing the PS2 version but the physics in driving and interaction didn't sit that well with me. I'd rather just play the PS3 versions. That is probably why I didn't play it as much, the physics and driving in MS were just a thing of fun.

They also have a tradition it seems to bring in the worse tracks for demos usually. If you only played the demos you owe it to your self to try the other vehicles and tracks in the full game. They are a lot better. Bikes always felt a little wrong to me, maybe a little bit better in MSA though. Just the way they turn feels of and it needs a revamp.

I just want you all to understand

*burnout was my game on gen 6
*love the midnight club series on gen 6 also
*played all the GT's but missed 6 so far
*I love wave race
*I'm a daytona nut
*I really enjoyed Sega Rally Revo and using manual and such to grab dirt around corners
*I'm a mario kart fan
*I owned Excite Truck
*I own Driveclub and can't enjoy it as much as a lot of these titles but it is really fun to do fast lap times with powerful cars!
*I owned and played most of the random to great racers on saturn and ps1 (which saturn has a lot more than you would think that aren't on ps1)
*Like all the f zero games from snes to GC

Split Second, Ridge Racer Unbounded and a lot of other games I have tried but they aren't that great. Decent to good perhaps.

Split second an these other games failed in map design so much compared to the MS games, didn't drive or feel anywhere as good either

Makikou

Never really felt Motorstorm. Apocalypse was so messy and unfun and unclear in so many ways.

That said i love Driveclub..

I wish someone from Evolution would do a post mortem of the Motorstorm series. I'm curious why they took the direction they did with with MS:A because I felt it was a huge misstep and really put me off future iterations. The story they tacked on and some design decisions really ruined what they had built in the first two games.

The first game was a ton of fun but was let down by long load times. They got everything right with Pacific Rift. If they do resurrect it I hope they go back to the pure racing without gimmicks and do a world tour with night races and cockpit view. Seeing as how Apocalypse was a flop and Evolution was gutted I'm not holding much hope we'll see a new one.

Navid

The first game was fantastic but each sequel got worse as they lost some of what made the original sooo good...

Bedlam

I'm with you, OP. Let's pray to the gaming gods at Sony so that they someday may give the green light to Evo to make another one.

Imma let you finish, but you spelt Burnout wrong.

Edit: Only ever played the first MotorStorm and it did look amazing.
Well, the last real Burnout game came out in 2005 so OP is correct.
Paradise is not a very good Burnout game.

I adore the intro to the first.

I particularly love "sports" games with high concept fictional scenarios. SSX is on this list too.
New true SSX + New true Burnout = Dream come true.

YES

And then we got driveclub. :(
Driveclub is a sublime racing game though. But sure, it's not arcade racing and we need more of that.

5taquitos

YES

And then we got driveclub. :(

Which is an amazing arcade racer in its own right.

Motorstorm will always have a special place in my heart. The mud was amazing, and I was disappointed that it wasn't as prevalent in the later games. I'd love a reimagining of the first game, the track layouts were great and the vehicles were perfect.

Tizoc

I should rebuy the 2nd Motorstorm game for PS3, 3 was really good and my nephews play it occasionally when they visit.

Top Bottom