• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about the Motorstorm Series - Best Arcade Racing Series in the last 10 yrs

I hope we one day get a remaster trilogy(or atleast the first two)...Motorstorm was probably the best arcade racer of last gen, yes even better than Burnout Paradise, Blur or Split Second combined

As someone who has a PS4 but never owned a PS3 - yes, please.

Bedlam

I don't own any of the games in this series. Which one should I buy?
The second one, Pacific Rift, is widely regarded as the best in the series but MS1 is close behind in my opinion. Both have unique qualities but MS2 is a bit more refined overall.

You can ignore the rest (they are not bad but also not as good).

drotahorror

I'm still dreaming of a Motorstorm Island.

Basically an open world you can cruise around (although tracks are closed with multiple paths like the previous games) with offroad vehicles, jetskis/boats that can navigate throughout the island via rivers/creeks etc, and some road vehicles for the high ways.

It's a fantasy island so any sort of environment would be possible, from jungle, to desert, ice and volcanic, anything.

I'll just keep dreaming. Basically open world only for cruising with friends and randoms. Closed courses for racing though. MP would just have to be menu driven with lobbies unless you wanted to do 1v1's in the open world. Menu driven like Driveclub.

Evolution Studios made the best arcade racing series ever imo. Also the best current gen racer with Driveclub. Call me a fanboy but their games on ps3/ps4 are gems.

wouwie

Pacific Rift was the first one i played in the series. I spent a lot of time on that on and enjoyed it a lot. It's still among my favourite games on the PS3. I then bought the first game but didn't play it as much. It felt like a stepdown from Pacific Rift, which i guess is normal when you play the first one after the 2nd one.

I was excited for Apocalypse but i didn't like it at all. One of the biggest dissapointments for sure and one of the few times i felt bad spending money on a game. The story mode was very unneeded and the overly aggressive AI (which is yet again a problem in Evolution's new game Driveclub, where it makes even less sense) annoyed me so much that i gave up on it after a few hours (i only played Motorstorm in SP).

That being said, i would love a Pacific Rift remaster and a Motorstorm expansion for Driveclub (i assume we'll never get a proper Motorstorm game anymore).

Bedlam

Basically an open world you can cruise around (although tracks are closed with multiple paths like the previous games) with offroad vehicles, jetskis/boats that can navigate throughout the island via rivers/creeks etc, and some road vehicles for the high ways.

It's a fantasy island so any sort of environment would be possible, from jungle, to desert, ice and volcanic, anything.

I'll just keep dreaming. Basically open world only for cruising with friends and randoms. Closed courses for racing though. MP would just have to be menu driven with lobbies unless you wanted to do 1v1's in the open world. Menu driven like Driveclub.
Kill it with fire. Keep open worlds away from arcade racers.

drotahorror

Kill it with fire. Keep open worlds away from arcade racers.

Did you read the rest? It's basically only an open world hub for cruising with friends and randoms. All of the tracks would be closed with multiple paths like all other MS games.

I agree open world usually sucks with racers but if anyone can do it right, it would be Evo.

obligatory
LrwH18u.gif

love this gif because it is a scripted event but the game NEVER takes control for you or help you dodge anything and in this 4 seconds, the player had 4 opportunities of death crash (the truck, the tank, the flying truck, the pillars) and dodge everything. This is what motorstorm is about. Pure chaos, unaltered gameplay, the adrenaline rush of having tons of steel raging around you in flames

Nev

Banned
Only played the first and it was awesome. Shame the studio went on to make yet another boring simulator-ish.

Evolution Studios made the best arcade racing series ever imo. Also the best current gen racer with Driveclub. Call me a fanboy but their games on ps3/ps4 are gems.

I want that motorstorm island we got from the menu video of Pacific Rift : the cliff jump base jumping, the carrier launch precision jump in circles of fire, the beach drag races with paragliders behind for the chills... Something the next Criterion game might look like because it's mixing all extreme sports at once

Yep, absolutely adore Pacific Rift and Apocalypse, PR in particular. The atmosphere, track design, soundtrack and racing experience is second to none; so good! Was really put out when we heard that Evolution suffered from some downsizing earlier this year because it further quashed my expectations of either a new WipEout or a MotorStorm :( Still holding on to hope, Driveclub just isn't quite the same :/ Has no personality or rough and tumble like MotorStorm. Really hope Sony gives the series another chance.

ps3ud0

Loved the MS series, even grew a love/hate relationship with its rubber-banding AI. Think MS:pR is probably the best in the series, the air/water tracks were usually so gorgeous and the jumps just make you want to race again. Love to have that game remastered...

After that I guess its a tie between the other two (though I shouldnt forget MS:RC which is a pretty fun game in itself. Never played MS:AE though)

Worse thing about the series was stupid MP trophies, wanted to get the platinum a few years back but couldnt

ps3ud0 8)

I wish someone from Evolution would do a post mortem of the Motorstorm series. I'm curious why they took the direction they did with with MS:A because I felt it was a huge misstep and really put me off future iterations. The story they tacked on and some design decisions really ruined what they had built in the first two games.

The first game was a ton of fun but was let down by long load times. They got everything right with Pacific Rift. If they do resurrect it I hope they go back to the pure racing without gimmicks and do a world tour with night races and cockpit view. Seeing as how Apocalypse was a flop and Evolution was gutted I'm not holding much hope we'll see a new one.

Yes, I'd like their map designers and engineers to go into depth and talk about the design. I'd love for it to be as long as possible with lots of detail and work

It's great to see that a lot of people are still into this.

drotahorror

I want that motorstorm island we got from the menu video of Pacific Rift : the cliff jump base jumping, the carrier launch precision jump in circles of fire, the beach drag races with paragliders behind for the chills... Something the next Criterion game might look like because it's mixing all extreme sports at once

I'm interested in Criterion's next game but afaik most of them left to form a new company and are working on a sports game. Then supposedly they'll do a Burnout successor . I doubt (and this is speculation) we'll ever see that multi-vehicle style sports game from a couple years ago. 80% of Criterion is Ghost Games. If the founders left to form another company then...I wonder how many people are even left at Criterion.

Sorc3r3r

Dear Op,
Thanks for remembering me once again that i will never be able to play this game on Ps4.
Since it seems that Sony doesn't care at all of us Motorstormers.

I'm not even asking for new game.
I'm asking for just a 60fps remaster of Pacific Rift, that I see as one of the best racer ever made.

Thanks for Your attention.

Sorc3r3r

I'm interested in Criterion's next game but afaik most of them left to form a new company and are working on a sports game. Then supposedly they'll do a Burnout successor . I doubt (and this is speculation) we'll ever see that multi-vehicle style sports game from a couple years ago. 80% of Criterion is Ghost Games. If the founders left to form another company then...I wonder how many people are even left at Criterion.

I know that only too well. I know current Criterion is about as an empty shell and Infinity Ward after MW2...

But still, their game concept look nothing like we have these day and I could go back to crazy extreme arcade sports games of the early 2000s

strafer

Oh man, I played so much Motorstorm! It was my first PS3 game. I got it when I bought the system. Soooo much fun.

Pacific Rift also had 4 player splitscreen. :)
I bought Arctic Edge on PSN the other week, should probably play it on my vita soonish.

ElFly

I'd rebuy MotorStorm Apocalypse on PS4 if it was 60fps.

It is a fine game on PS3, but the framerate makes it feel limited and slow.

Oneself

The first two games were truly amazing, both very different games and both easily part of the best arcade racers of all time. I'd love to see a current gen take on the series too.
Probably the best track designs in the history of the genre IMO.

Apocalypse was definitely underrated though, it did a lot of wrong but also tried many new things and did them right (like going from MS to MS:pR) and I respect that... Oh and it's such a technically impressive title; the weather, lighting, dramatically changing tracks on the fly, particle effects, with many cars on screen with very different physics and a sharp IQ at a steady 30fps (like both previous games).

Yes OP, we need a current version of that. Based mostly on PR with better physics, inspired by the entire series with longer tracks (including point to point as in Apocalypse and DC), weather system, time of day and changing tracks on the fly (a MS-like Canyon with falling rocks, a jungle storm / hurricane beach, a snow storm in an Arctic track or racing on moving icebergs, a sand storm during a desert race, trees falling in a sequoia forest etc.)...

Rushy, we need that! ;)

El-Suave

I wonder what advances in game physics could do for this franchise - I don't mean terrain deformation for show like in Apocalypse but subtle things like heavy vehicles leaving tracks that make driving for smaller vehicles really hard and bumpy, not just penalizing them by making it slower.

Razgreez

Rubber Band AI and just a bit too hard

Yeah, it seems like they don't want to drop the rubber band AI. I like a good challenge but MS:pR was actually pissing me off at how unreasonable the difficulty became.

Count me among those that would love to see these three games remastered or a brand new installment created.

When are people going to let this go? There is no rubber banding in evolution games in the traditional sense. The opponents simply always, attempt to, drive within a specific time. The AI is sped up if they fall catastrophically behind those times or slowed down if the opponent falls far behind but they are never boosted beyond them. In other words, if you are fast in either Motorstorm 1, 2 or 3 or Driveclub and are able to set consistently fast trial or lap times you will always beat the AI - sometimes by rather large distances.

Rubber banding on the other hand is frustrating because no matter how fast you drive the AI is always on your backside

Bedlam

Did you read the rest? It's basically only an open world hub for cruising with friends and randoms. All of the tracks would be closed with multiple paths like all other MS games.

I agree open world usually sucks with racers but if anyone can do it right, it would be Evo.
Apologies, I didn't read all of your post indeed.

Open world for cruising and closed tracks for races sounds good to me!

Dibils2k

i dont think its fun enough to be arcade racer tbh.. the game punished you so much for not perfecting every turn

When are people going to let this go? There is no rubber banding in evolution games in the traditional sense. The opponents simply always, attempt to, drive within a specific time. The AI is sped up if they fall catastrophically behind those times or slowed down if the opponent falls far behind but they are never boosted beyond them. In other words, if you are fast in either Motorstorm 1, 2 or 3 or Driveclub and are able to set consistently fast trial or lap times you will always beat the AI - sometimes by rather large distances.

Rubber banding on the other hand is frustrating because no matter how fast you drive the AI is always on your backside

There's no rubber banding in DriveClub, but there definitely is in Motorstorm. In fact the tip for winning some races was to boost as little as possible, because the less you boost the less the opposition boosts. I vividly remember refusing to boost on the final straight of a race I'd been attempting to win for hours, and when I used the 'look behind' button all the other vehicles were sitting in a bunch right behind me refusing to boost.

Synth

All three game were great. Wish they were still making them rather than Driveclub tbh. That said, I'm not sure I'd actually agree that there's been virtual any arcade racers over the last decade.

Imma let you finish, but you spelt Burnout wrong.

Burnout is shit though.

There is no rubber banding in evolution games in the traditional sense. The opponents simply always, attempt to, drive within a specific time.

Nope, for Motorstorm (especially Pacific Rift) this is bullshit. They have rubber banding in league with Mario Kart 64, Ridge Racer 6 and Manx TT Superbike. I finished a later race in Pacific Rift in 2nd place, then my brother finished it in 1st with a total time 35 seconds slower than mine.

Can't agree more. Motorstorm is simply one of the best arcade racers of all time. I wish developers would make more of these kick ass straight up racing games and stop with this open world, online only stuff that don't focus on simple fun.

This is the reason why i love Evolution Studios so much. Driveclub is awesome too, just different. Motorstorm remaster in 1080p/60fps would be great. Would buy that in a heart beat!

Z3M0G

Each game does some really amazing things:

Motorstorm: Car destruction
Motorstorm PR: Eye Melting visuals (seriously, WOW)
Motorstorm A: Weather / Storms / Transforming tracks

I remember the first Motorstorm Pacific Rift demo releasing and it looked TERRIBLE... then the final game came out (and a new demo) and it ended up being one of the best looking games of all time... (again, seriously, WOW)

I recently started replaying the PSP game too on my Vita, and it's pretty neat. Snow setting is great.

Razgreez

Nope, for Motorstorm (especially Pacific Rift) this is bullshit. They have rubber banding in league with Mario Kart 64, Ridge Racer 6 and Manx TT Superbike. I finished a later race in Pacific Rift in 2nd place, then my brother finished it in 1st with a total time 35 seconds slower than mine.

I completed the entirety of pacific rift without any such issues. I simply learnt the fastest way around the tracks and the best vehicles to use (since certain vehicles could not take advantage of certain shortcuts) and almost always won unless i made a mistake. It was never frustrating. As long as my lap times were consistent i never had an issue and, as stated before, the AI will slow down if they see you're slow but they could never beat my fastest lap times.

The track with the cornfield, it's been so long i can't remember the names, was one track i always found people complaining about but that's mostly because players didn't realise that you can make up 4 seconds by cutting through the field and driving along the pipe while carefully avoiding the one section of pipe that would completely wreck your vehicle. If you were even slightly ahead of the AI they would almost always take that route (perfectly) and if you didn't the last thing you would see was the AI crossing the finish line as you exited from under the sprinklers.

It's things like the above that i found frustrated players to the point they convinced themselves "nope it must be rubber banding".

Anyway back on topic i wouldn't mind a remaster of these as i never gave apocalypse much of a shot.

Shadders

Maybe they could revive it as an HD remaster for Morpheus. It would be an instant sell for me

I think that'd be loads of fun, but I don't think Sony would do it. I don't think it's a good advert for the PS4 if they needed to upres a last gen game to get it working with PlayStation VR. More likely they'll get Driveclub working with it.

Yeah, this needs to return.

Surprisingly, Forza Horizon 2 scratched a lot of the itch I was feeling for a new installment in the franchise. The offroad racing in the right vehicles definitely had the same feel of playing a Motorsport game.

Best Arcade racer in ten years? Nah no way for me, had way more fun with the likes of Blur, PGR and Split Second

Don't make me sad about Blur. Fuck, that game was incredible.

I love MS:A, its my favorite one even with its flaws, loved how the track was getting destroyed around you :/ i hope if we get a sequel it has the environment getting wrecked changing the course again, likr maybe an avalanche or some shit

tzare

I think that'd be loads of fun, but I don't think Sony would do it. I don't think it's a good advert for the PS4 if they needed to upres a last gen game to get it working with PlayStation VR. More likely they'll get Driveclub working with it.

or just make a small game like they did with Pacific RIft 3D. one or two tracks, a few cars.

Will stop dreaming now :(

Shadders

While that gif looks impressive it pretty much sums up what was wrong with Apocalypse. A lot of times there was so much clutter on the tracks it made the racing a chore and those slowed down events pulled you out of the racing.

I think the slow down bits were optional? I think it put a Square button on screen and if you pressed it, it would slow down time and frame whatever the action was. I don't think it ever forced you to do it or slowed you down automatically?

Yeah, this needs to return.

Surprisingly, Forza Horizon 2 scratched a lot of the itch I was feeling for a new installment in the franchise. The offroad racing in the right vehicles definitely had the same feel of playing a Motorsport game.

Don't make me sad about Blur. Fuck, that game was incredible.

Sorry :( I lived only a couple of miles away from Bizzare Studios too, I was gutted it shut down

I aree with what a lot of you are saying.

One of you were saying how you wish developers would do more of this design.

These tracks are more or less circuit based but they are large enough and wide enough to give them a slight more wide and open area. I don't feel like I'm rails I mean.

i actually like semi on rails though (ridge racer style) but I feel motostorm breaks that on rails feelings when you want to turn left or right, it's just designed as a wider more branching racing game. It's easier to explain and show what im talking about during gameplay though.

I don't feel the island idea is a bad idea, just being to drive around for fun isn't bad especailly. As long as it didn't interfere with the design of the courses themselves.

I'd like to also see more modes such as what the trials games do and destruction derby. Even a Mario Kart like mp mixed with twisted metal would be fun. Not saying it has to be a huge part, doesn't need to take away from the main game but just having other fun little things to do with this engine I would do it.

So, that is how how I'd like to make the game. A pure mix of MS1 and PR. Bring back all the levels minus a few that weren't that great. Which wouldn't be many. Make two new settings and split the new tracks between those two (jungle/sand) so you are able to see mud and water assets for the remake. I don't really feel I need snow even though I trust evo could do some interesting things with ice ramps, reflections and large snow banks to hit and bounce through. That would make a big difference but it's a lot of work.

I can see how that could work, have some small paths up hills and on the side, have large fields of deep snow that monster trucks an more easily plow through. Seeing the wall of snow on the paths of the monster truck tired would be cool and could be followed by a bike or atv. even though it would still be quite hard, but maybe lap 2 or 3 would have a lot of cleared out snow to do it. I could also imagine a half frozen lake where you break ice and get sunken in a bit, so bigger vehciles have to be careful going off land. I can think of hundreds of ideas myself :) haha

If they do it, I hope it's more of a 4 map package and that the snow and depth of it all really works well on the sides of the tracks, having snow snow banks for cars to hit and make some deep paths would be pretty cool honestly. Since you don't see much anything else besides walls and snow, maybe the engine could handle it.

There are a ton of ideas that can be made, so that is why I wish for a 4 to 5 year season pass project. I never buy all the dlc for many games but I will to support them here.

DLC- more tracks and vehicles
Fun off the wall mp modes cars versus monster trunks
*Be smashed you are out, escape the monster trucks and win.
Thinks like this would work so well if you can design some decent mp like maps around it. Sort of like a rocky fort block from mario kart.
*One team has a sword attached to their car, the other teams have balloons or you can slash their tires. (i know this stuff is insane, but its the physics of the game that could make it fun)
* Simple ramp jumps to try to land on specfic cars over some of the wider open areas. Jump

Thinks like this would work so well if you can design some decent mp like maps around it. Sort of like a rocky fort block from mario kart.

There are many things you can add to a game when it's pure fun to play.

Best arcade racer. I even got to be #1 global on Pacific Rift. That game had perfect track designs.

That's pretty crazy do you have any youtube vids or anything

Top Bottom