• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about the SaGa games

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd be willing to bet lack of interest as being the biggest factor.

Heh, there's that too. There are teams working on RS2/3 as we speak, but I think they're going for a Spanish translation or something equally useless to me. There are also a ton of Japanese hacks that add characters from the Frontier games and all sorts of crazy crap.

One of the big issues with the RS games in particular is that they're already quite buggy, so unless you're already intimately familiar with them it's difficult to tell whether your hacks are gonna break anything or not. That has ramifications against adding an English translation, too--either you add variable-width text support, which is difficult/time-consuming and can cause a lot of problems, or you leave the text display routines as they are and get stuck with a tiny amount of characters per line, which really limits what you can/can't write.

Vamphuntr

I still fail to understand why SaGa 1-3 (FFL 1-3) aren't on the 3DS VC yet. I know SE likes to port their games and charge full price for it but they didn't even release the DS version here. You would think the FF branding would help marketing too. It's not like SE has much to offer right now either.

Or maybe Nintendo is simply bad at managing an online store.

I dunno, reading this thread I started to really want to play FF Legends 2 again but I can't bring myself to play it on my GBC.

Ultratech

Oh SaGa...

I played the SaGa 2 remake about 2 years back, I suppose? It was pretty awesome and a shame that SE decided not to bring it over here.

RS3 legit took me years to beat, since I'd play for a while, get stuck, then I'd quit playing for months on end. Think I finally beat it about two years after I'd graduated college. lol

But what other games can you have a party consisting of an Elephant, Fairy, Lobster, Snowman, and an accountant? Not many, that's what. Also has some rocking music to boot.

I played only a little of SaGa Frontier, but I grew disinterested in it pretty quickly. I think it could've been a really awesome game had they worked on the bugs and finished the remaining scenarios.

Oh, here's some reading on the SaGa series at large, though I'd argue it could use more information....
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/saga/saga.htm

Heh, there's that too. There are teams working on RS2/3 as we speak, but I think they're going for a Spanish translation or something equally useless to me. There are also a ton of Japanese hacks that add characters from the Frontier games and all sorts of crazy crap.

One of the big issues with the RS games in particular is that they're already quite buggy, so unless you're already intimately familiar with them it's difficult to tell whether your hacks are gonna break anything or not. That has ramifications against adding an English translation, too--either you add variable-width text support, which is difficult/time-consuming and can cause a lot of problems, or you leave the text display routines as they are and get stuck with a tiny amount of characters per line, which really limits what you can/can't write.

The JP RS3 character hacks are pretty awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBelTX0lDao

Too bad they don't really mesh well with the translated version.

But yeah, from what I've read up on them, they're pretty fickle games to mess with, so I imagine it'd give anybody some trouble trying to hack/debug them.

RS2 always seemed pretty interesting to me with the Generational thing going on, with the Final Hero/Heroine being the culmination of generations of power being passed down through the bloodline.
Apparently, it also introduced the LP and the "Glimmer" systems.

Top Bottom