• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about top down racing games (and ask for new ones)

Ledsen

Top down racing games! I love these. But I haven't played many good ones lately :(

Back in the day, we had classics like

RCProAm2.jpg

RC Pro Am

screenshot_pc_micro_machines003.jpg

Micro Machines

And later

ignition_276649.jpg

Ignition

which is very, very, PRETTY GOOD!

Nowadays, the best example of top-down racing physics I've seen is

Renegade Ops

And it's A HUGE MYSTERY to me why they didn't do Renegade Ops Racing. Those physics ARE THE BEST.

Also I've tried

Little Racers Street

which is pretty cool I guess, but a bit sterile and charmless.

Also tried another one on Steam but it was pretty bad and I forget the name.

HOWEVER! Top down racing is awesome.

Please

- Remake Ignition
- Make Renegade Ops Racing
- discuss you memories of top-down racing

ARE THERE ANY GOOD GAMES NOWADAYS IN THE GENRE OF TOP-DOWN RACING?!?! Old people want to know.

I occasionally play Mini Motor HD on the iPad and it's a competent title but it feels bland and uninspired and it has that little something something in terms of currency balance that tries to motivate you to make in-app purchases.

With all honesty though, I think most top-down racers are repetitive and lack creativity, even though they're fun to play. I think that this type of racing game peaked with the Micro Machines series somewhere between the SNES/Genesis and the Dreamcast days and since then, as far as I've seen, most of the games have been soulless rehashes of something we've already seen and played already a dozen times before.

But please, correct me if I'm wrong. I really like these types of games.

Cuddler

I liked Motorstorm RC on PS3, there is a demo if you want to try it.
Other games that I can remember are Bang Bang Racing (demo on Steam) and WRC Powerslide (demo is available for PS3/360).

Motorstorm RC for VITA is great.

For some reason I don't like the way the drifting works in that game but I can't quite put my finger as to why. Maybe it's a bit too realistic? The cars skid more on "sand/dirt" than other types of pavement, maybe the inertia is too strong.

At their core, these types of racers are supposed to be about navigating vehicles through tight and fun courses and Motorstorm RC while fulfilling that perfectly doesn't really do anything new with it. It's a fun game to pick up and play every now and then, and I do think the challenges help keep it fresh but other than that there's little more I can really say that makes it stand out.

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
Man! how could you forget Rock N' Roll motherefin' Racing! such a classic with it's soundtrack :)

little racers street is the shit. love playing that online.

downloaded wrc powerslide for free this week on xbl, been having a blast playing that online as well.

Don't forget the open source excellence in Generally.

EDIT: Mashed remains one of the greatest local multiplayer games of its time. Oh, the fun had.

jordisok

OP if you haven't played Mashed you definitely should, its absolutely brilliant. One of my most played PS2 games I'd guess (gotta get that multitap out).

halfbeast

Banned
we definitely need an HD micro machines with online play. come on, codemasters! no more grid's and dirt's and give us another MM!

Am I the only one who loved Micro Machines for the gba? Boy was that game terribly clanky, but in a good way. It had like a password system for the trophy mode in friggin' 2004.

900bv

Banned
The day Micro Machines V5 is announced for PS4/Vita is the day I become excited for a racing game in a long time.

27333-micro-machines-genesis-screenshot-f-1-cars-on-the-billiards.gif

Just incredible.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Wrecked: Revenge Revisited (aka Sequel to Mashed) is a real fun one. It's kinda janky, but it doesn't jank up in any meaningful ways - it's just there for that eurojank feel.

Available on XBLA/PSN. prolly $10 or whatevs, idk. worth it for the local multi.

My wife and I still play RockNRoll Racing on the SNES. I'd love to see a remake with updated audio.

Have any of you seen anything similar to RNR Racing lately?

Wonko_C

65gViL5.jpg

I'm currently playing VS Racing 2 on iOS, the sprite work was a big draw for me and there is some subtle kind depth effect for the backgrounds. The bad news is the IAP: once you play a few races you have to wait 24 minutes to be able to play again, and there are some cars that can only be unlocked with diamonds, and those are hard to come by if you don't want to pay for them.

Top Bottom