• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launches: Nintendo DS (November 21, 2004)

This made me feel old...

As a huge Nintendo fan... I didn't even get the DS at launch. I was having fun with my GBA and there were still games coming out for it. Even though most of my friends at the time were into games, we had zero interest in the DS. The launch was very uninteresting, albeit at the time I thought the games were technically impressive. It wasn't until winter 2015, after Mario Kart came out, that I decided to pick it up. Glad I did though as it's one of my favorite gaming devices ever. I never upgraded from the original fat model. That thing is still kicking.

I don't know how old you are, but I was in high school when it released. I wasn't paying any attention to the system until years later, so I had no idea this was a picture that made its rounds. =P

RRockman

Banned
The blue version of the DS phat always had my attention. I remember being mystified by 2 screens and a portable metroid prime. Unfortunately I was way too young to have that kinda money and things were brown family wise so I didn't get one till the DS lite era. I ended up buying the blue phat version eventually and I still prefer that unit over the rest.

deleted

I remember seeing this a second coming of N64 tech level graphics and was pretty hyped for it. And boy did it deliver on that level - it was lovely to see all that 3rd party support on that little thing and the blocky low tech 3D was endearing.

Imported a white Japanese DS before the lite came out - I always wanted to pick up a yellow DSi at then end, but somehow never did.

There are so many awesome games on this system - especially ports from western developers you would have never thought of:

a first Person RPG from id software?
Turn based Age of Empires?
Anno?
The Settlers?
Call of Duty?

Everyone was there!

DontBlink

I remember really wanting one at launch, just to play Metroid, but there wasn't much else to justify the purchase.

300x.jpg
5135S47666L.jpg

Finally got one the next August when they did the triple threat of Advance Wars coming out, a new blue color and a small price drop. One of the best values ever.

Miker

Kinda shitty launch titles tbh, but the DS is my favorite system of all time, and the DSi XL is still Nintendo's best handheld hardware. Whoever made the DS Lite, though, should've been given a raise on the spot. It's crazy how much of an upgrade that was over the original model

Beartruck

Do you guys remember ...

nintendo-ds-feature-a-day-2-20041110005749087-001.jpg
Using that thing for Kid icarus uprising made that game way more comfortable to play.

The DS will always be nostalgic. My first job was a month long seasonal position and I used the money to buy the red mario kart ds and Final Fantasy III. Wore it down to the point of the hinge being held together with tape.

DVCY201

Blue Colour and Brain Age. That was a killer combo for me, totally sunk in a lot of hours. And I'm STILL learning about gems for the DS that I passed on. What a crazy system

redcrayon

I've always spent far time with portables than home consoles, but the DS at launch didn't appeal to me at all- neither the hardware or the games were attractive to me. The DSL design was a great move though, it suddenly looked slicker, and by that point the games were coming thick and fast.

Of the launch games, I think the only one I have is Mr. Driller Drill Spirits, and it's only because of a Circuit City clearance sale. Great system, but it only took off after MKDS in 2005 and the following year with the DSLite launch.

Danielsan

Man, the original DS was such a clunker. Also a lackluster launch lineup. But I still ended up getting one with Another Code and Super Mario 64 DS.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I didn't get a DS until the DS Lite came out and felt I also mostly only got it because my hype levels for the Wii were unreal. It was my first handheld gaming purchase and honestly, looking back at the library, is probably my all time favorite system.

I have always had a thing for games that were exceptionally different and I felt like the DS library had this in spades.

Didn't get one till the light with Pokemon Diamond. Great system.

Also looking at old threads I have never seen so much crow seedbed out EVER.

The Hermit

the real lauch was the DS lite

Never bough a handheld before, the DS was ugly and I was eyeing the PSP. Then, DS Lite came, looking like an apple product. It was glorious

Meffer

I had a phat DS and loved it until some little shit in high school stole it from me. Got a DS Lite later though.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
The DS really got me into games as a hobby. I played and enjoyed games before then, but was totally unaware of future game releases or systems coming out. A classmate introduced me to the DS's announcement, and I thought it looked so cool. I hadn't had a handheld system since the GameBoy Pocket, so I was really looking forward to its release, looking up video's online, buying magazines and all that. Anyone else remember Nintendo denying DS stood for "Dual Screen?" They kept saying it mean "Developer System" instead.

Anyway, the launch came near, and stores got demo units in. I must've played at least a few hours on those. I'd go to the store after school to get a few minutes of Wario Ware in. At some point someone stole the stylus.

I had two games; Mario 64 DS and the First Hunt demo. I'd never played Mario 64 in its entirety before, and it was just really cool to me to be able to play a 3D game like that on a handheld. The D-pad never bothered me to be honest. When the drought happened, I purchased some GBA games to play instead. You kinda needed to have at least one anyway, to fill that gaping cartridge slot.

When the games started coming, I think the DS really became something special. A fantastic system. I even pre-ordered a DS Lite from Lik-sang. There was so much demand for them that they raised their prices by a significant amount, which my parents paid for me thankfully. Too bad its younger sibling, the 3DS, sucked, and continues to suck till this very day.

Jacknapes

I didn't get one at launch due to my wages in my new job being messed up, however i got one once they were corrected in April. Picked up SM64 DS with it, loved being able to play it portability. Didn't have that many games for it over it's lifetime, think i only picked up 4 or 5 other games. I used it mostly as an alternative to the GBA.

AniHawk

i got the thing on the friday before launch. gamerush (blockbuster) was selling them and sm64 ds early, at roughly $45 to me thanks to some game-trading deals taking place there at the time.

over the weekend my sister convinced me to keep it, so i played sm64 ds, never beat it, and played first hunt a little as well.

i've never owned or seen another platform go from such a soft start to such wide acceptance. it was probably the most toxic i'd seen fandom around the launch of a platform too, with blood in the water surrounding nintendo as a whole and sega's departure from hardware being a recent memory.

Rncewind

has one of my favorite libarys of all time, but the launch line up, and hardware, was so lackluster i didnt buy one until pokemon pearl and diamong launched

kiguel182

To be fair, at launch PSP had everything going for it.

Nintendo struck gold after but it was hard to predict.

Edit: Also, I gave Nintendodogs to my little cousin last month (she is two) and she totally loved it. The damn game totally holds up 12 years later. Mostly thanks to the touchscreen since kids are used to that these days. Funny enough it took her time to get that the top screen was not touch. Nintendo was ahead of the curve.

I bought one within the first year but recall not having Wi-Fi for a few years after. One of 2 times I can think of that Nintendo was ahead of me when it comes to the internet.

Do you guys remember ...

Yup. I kept it for my DS Lite, really impressed all the kids I knew since they got DS' after Nintendo stopped shipping those. I almost never used it though.

lol everyone predicted the PSP would eviscerate the NDS

how wrong they were.

They were mostly right, for the first year, and in the West.

Akoi

Got it Day one with Mario 64. That game blew me away coming from the TBA. Then I sold the system to a friend around the time the white DSlite launched and bought one of those and still have it to this day.

Yaranaika

I lined up and bought it day one with Mario 64. I can't remember what I bought next game wise but by the end it was probably my most played game system ever.

Only one of two systems I ever got at launch (the other being the Wii). Got it day one with Super Mario 64 DS and Asphalt Urban GT (and the Metroid demo), and I played the hell out of all of them.

I remember playing 4-player multiplayer on that First Hunt demo all the time since a lot of my friends ended up getting DSes too. We even got to do 8 player Mario Kart local play once too, and it was one of the craziest things ever.

Do you guys remember ...

this was really great for FPS games on the DS (i.e., Metroid Prime Hunters)

Fiendcode

Such a rough launch, arguably the worst of any Nintendo system really. It was pretty clear Nintendo was rushing the hell out of the platform to beat PSP to launch.

Meffer

Such a rough launch, arguably the worst of any Nintendo system really. It was pretty clear Nintendo was rushing the hell out of the platform to beat PSP to launch.
You seem to forget the 3DS's launch. That was a true shitshow and I love the 3DS. It was pretty obvious shareholders pushed Nintendo to release early because people got hyped by the 3D. So we had a model that felt unfinished, lack of games and the eShop wasn't even ready yet. It was rushed and it bit them in the ass. It was only saved because of what Iwata did.

You seem to forget the 3DS's launch. That was a true shitshow and I love the 3DS. It was pretty obvious shareholders pushed Nintendo to release early because people got hyped by the 3D. So we had a model that felt unfinished, lack of games and the eShop wasn't even ready yet. It was rushed and it bit them in the ass. It was only saved because of what Iwata did.

No, it was always announced for the following financial year way back in March 2010 before anyone knew anything about it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390930
So clearly Nintendo rushed it to fit the financial year by themselves.

AniHawk

the 3ds's launch was a direct result of the wii u being the true shitshow. i think nintendo wanted to launch 3ds in the holiday season for 2010, but because the wii u demanded so much attention to get out the door in (and i assume they were originally targeting holiday 2011), that many 3ds projects fell by the wayside. most notably is a link between world's three-man team being disassembled in 2010 so one guy could direct nintendoland and another guy could direct new super mario bros. u.

the thing apparent about 3ds to me is that nintendo felt like they could coast on their success, that releasing a featureless overpriced platform with no rock star launch title in march would work because of the branding and the gimmick.

Pepboy

The fat design was such a bad choice but I think they were rushing them out, but I have seen worse launches, just thought the design of it at first was what was holding back from becoming the mainstream massive success it ended up being after the ds lite

Reminds me of Japanese laptop design, like Panasonic's "rugged" laptop line. Maybe it was meant to inspire confidence that the average Japanese kid wouldn't be able to break it?

Codeblue

I don't think I've played anything like Feel the Magic before or since that game. I really should check out Rub Rabbits.

First 9 months with the system were rough but I had a lot of fond memories around them.

Super Mario 64 DS and Feel the Magic were the obvious hits at launch. Yoshi Touch and Go and Wario Ware Touched came soon after (although both were very light in content). Pac-Pix, Meteos, and Kirby Canvas Curse in early Summer was a great relief. And then the storm of Advance Wars , Nintendogs, Pac n Roll, Castlevania and the next Holiday hits just steam rolled.

I did beat Sprung as well which was a launch window game. Anyone remember this game? What a piece of shit.

180019b.jpg

My launch DS got stolen out of my car and I went without one until the Lite came out. Never got a DSi. I was really bummed for a while about losing my DS but the GBA was still going strong so my SP got a lot of use while I waited for some games to actually come out.

Not

Banned
It was gone EVERYWHERE, but somehow my mom found one and got it for me for Christmas in 2004. One of my best memories spending the rest of the day messing around with the menu and touch screen and playing the Metroid Prime Hunters demo.

Piichan

Banned
Playing Super Mario 64 on a handheld blew my mind.

Also the first system I ever played a Japanese import game on: Ouendan. Amazing game that kicked off my interest in Japanese music.

Playing Super Mario 64 on a handheld blew my mind.

Also the first system I ever played a Japanese import game on: Ouendan. Amazing game that kicked off my interest in Japanese music.

I remember making jokes to my friend when I was in high school when we were playing those simplistic games on our phone like frogger and dots. I said, "Hey, wouldn't it be hilarious if I could play Final Fantasy X on my graphing calculator?!"

While those calculators haven't changed, the concept of playing what was a huge game, but on-the-go, ended up being what happened and sooner than I thought.

Top Bottom