• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launches: Playstation 4 (November 15, 2013)

"For the players."

S5vndD7.png

Previous threads:

Nintendo Entertainment System/Famicom (1985)
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (1989)
Super NES (1991)
Sega CD (1992)
Nintendo 64 (1996)
Sega Dreamcast (1999)
Sony Playstation 2 (2000)
Game Boy Advance (2001)
Microsoft Xbox (2001)
Nintendo DS (2004)
Playstation Portable (2005)
Microsoft Xbox 360 (2005)
Sony Playstation 4 (2013)

From the pre-orders, long lines on launch day, surprise Christmas presents, and anticipation for new technology, console/handheld launches can be some of the most times as a gamer.

Some launches produce classic games. Some launches produce a lot of good games. Some launches, you look back and think, "There really wasn't much, was there?" I've put together the launches at the bottom of the post for the US, Europe and Asia.

My experience:

This was the first console I ever received at launch/close to that first Christmas.

My PS4 was a surprise gift from my brother and mom. My brother bought an Xbox One for himself, and my mom thought I'd feel left out if I didn't have a PS4. Mind you, I lived (and still live) by myself, adult with a career, and I told her earlier I didn't need a PS4 since there was plenty I still had to play on a PS3. But my brother convinced her to just get a PS4 as one big gift, in secret. He and his wife searched websites for an opening, they found one on Best Buy, called my mom, she made the payment quickly, and that was that.

After the purchase was made, he talked to me and told me about a "friend" who bought a PS4 but didn't buy any games and asked what games he should get. I thought that was weird of him, but whatever:

Me: "What games does he like?"
Brother: "Well, Mass Effect, JRPGs... he has similar tastes to you."
Me: "Hmm... well, I'd say Resogun, which is a downloadable arcade shooter, and probably Assassin's Creed Black Flag."
Brother: "He only has the money to buy one."
Me: "Resogun's not really expensive, but if he can only budget $60 and wants a full-fledged game, then Black Flag."
Brother: "All right, I'll let him know."

Little did I know I just told them I wanted for Christmas! xD~~

So the surprise was great. I was visiting for Christmas, she pulled out a surprise present, I posted a picture of it on FB, said, "SURPRISE PRESENT! WHAT COULD IT BE?"

My brother goes:

"It's a picture of a middle finger in a box. There's weights in there too. She drew it herself. She took an art class for 6 months to get the shading right. It's actually quite good."

This was Christmas Eve. On Christmas, I started to connect the dots from the conversation I had with my brother a while back and figured out that it had to be the PS4. And yup, it was, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was one of the games.

When I drove home after Christmas, I got my free trial of PS+ and downloaded the Instant Game Collection, which also gave me way more PS3 games to play. But I did this after buying Resogun, so I never got it for free. No matter, as I was happy to support it because it ended up being my favorite launch game. It looked like something that was impossible to do on the PS3, and while it did receive a PS3 port, it was more blurry, with far less on the screen and half the frame rate. It just wasn't as good of a game being played like that as the blur made it hard to see how close you were to bullets, and half the frame rate was killer gameplay-wise for a game like this. But the PS4 version? Awesome, co-op OR solo. I ended up buying all DLC for it over the next year or so.

Black Flag was my first Assassin's Creed and was a lot of fun. I loved sailing around in it and loved the increased visual fidelity the PS4 provided. I was never able to finish the main quest -- the game became kind of repetitive -- and I REALLY didn't like some of the tailing missions since many late-game seemed poorly done. But as a whole? It was a lot of fun, beating some of the Legendary Ships felt great, and I enjoyed the sword fighting. No regrets "asking" for this one. ;)

My experience with Injustice came later. Fun game, nothing amazing, but definitely was happy to have it on PS+.

So overall? I thought it was a good launch that provided more than the PS3 did. There were fun games, and Resogun was excellent. Did it have a Halo or Mario 64 caliber game that was a major influence on the medium? That it did not. But it did have good games, and I would argue Resogun was at such a high level that it remains one of my favorite games on the console despite the wide breadth of the library now. It's always a game I suggest new buyers get.

TL;DR: PS4 was a surprise gift, brother helped figure out what game to get me, Black Flag was fun, Resogun was fantastic. Overall, a good launch, with Resogun being far and beyond the best game, made better with DLC.

Angry Birds Star Wars

AG9k205.png

xfDJaRc.png

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Blacklight: Retribution

LkAzeDN.png

Call of Duty: Ghosts
Contrast
DC Universe Online
FIFA 14
Flower
Forced

2Qny1JK.png

Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014

OTQogzi.png

ACRTIb5.png

Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14

0VNUHJt.png

k69zXHt.png

Need for Speed Rivals
Resogun
Skylanders: Swap Force
Sound Shapes
Super Motherload
The Playroom
Trine 2: Complete Story

Re2BUQ0.png

Warframe

European launch

Angry Birds Star Wars
Battlefield 4
Contrast
DC Universe Online
Escape Plan
FIFA 14
Flower
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Lego Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
Need for Speed Rivals
Putty Squad
Resogun
Sound Shapes
Super Motherload
The Playroom
Trine 2: Complete Story
Warframe
War Thunder

Japanese launch:

Battlefield 4
Contrast
Doki-Doki Universe
Don't Starve: Console Edition
Dream C Club: Host Girls on Stage
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
Escape Plan
FIFA 14
flOw
Flower
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
NBA 2K14
Need for Speed Rivals
Nikoli no Puzzle 4: Sudoku
Nobunaga no Yabou: Souzou
Onigiri
Resogun
Yakuza Restoration
Sound Shapes
Strider
The Playroom
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Tottemo E Mahjong Plus
Warframe

David___

Banned
I was in 10th grade when it launched. Played through the BF4 campaign in one sitting then got sucked into the multiplayer. Few months later got hooked on Warframe for a while.

hydruxo

First console I bought on launch day. Picked up Black Flag and Killzone SF, and played a ton of Resogun. I had a good time with it.

I didn't buy until the summer of 2014 and I don't remember having a single game besides the Plus titles. Road Not Taken and Don't Starve were really fun though.
I think I remember inFamous and LBP3 being the only real games I had that year outside of the free Plus games.

It was my first ever console launch where I had a job.

border

PS4 arrived in mail from Amazon. I set it up and downloaded Resogun. Played Resogun for about an hour....called it a day. I cannot recall a more boring launch lineup.

First console I bought on launch day. Picked up Black Flag and Killzone SF, and played a ton of Resogun. I had a good time with it.

We definitely have a higher opinion of it than many others. =P

It did seem like Sony's announced offerings weren't as strong as we'd eventually find them down the line (there's so much out now and coming out that has me psyched), and it didn't help that one of their planned launch games was delayed (DriveClub) along with the PS+ version of it, and the other two big ones weren't met with great reviews.

But damn it, Resogun is so freaking good, and the third party stuff was fun. It is funny to look at E3 2013, looking at Sony's announced games (these games + The Order) and reading old threads and seeing how many people felt underwhelmed. What a difference a year made when Bloodborne was revealed.

PS4 arrived in mail from Amazon. I set it up and downloaded Resogun. Played Resogun for about an hour....called it a day. I cannot recall a more boring launch lineup.

Did you find PS1/PS2/PS3 to have stronger ones? Honest question, not a gotcha, I'm trying to feel some of you out. I actually don't recall Sony ever having one that contained a megaton game (Super Mario World, Mario 64, Halo), but I felt PS4 was actually probably their strongest launch among their four consoles, with PS2 second, which I think gets maligned a lot but actually had a decent variety of games and some legitimately fun ones.

Poor at best filled with an extremely poor AAA exclusive game (Killzone), broken online game (BF4), average cross gen releases (Black Flag) and remasters.

Resogun saved it at launch for me and other indies for the first year.

SpokkX

Poor at best filled with an extremely poor AAA exclusive game (Killzone), broken online game (BF4), average cross gen releases (Black Flag) and remasters.

Yes ps4 launch is one of the shittiest launches ever. Lots of crappy cross gen stuff, awful killzone and generally underwhelming graphics

.. except Resogun; the only game i enjoyed at launch

Quality >>> Quantity (ps4 was all quantity)

I agree with this. I was playing a lot of indies that first year. Great games, though! But a lot of the AAA releases were a bit underwhelming that first year.

It was a good launch for me. I was huge AC fan and waiting for the PS4 version of Black Flag was both torture and hype for me. Bought Killzone and got Knack for free on Amazon. Resogun ended up being the best PS4 launch game for me at least until inFamous Second Son, all thanks to PS+.

Jacknapes

The PS4 was the first console i picked up on launch day. Popped into GAME (i know) around 9:30am expecting not a long queue. However, it was out the door for people collecting orders. As i discovered a little later (i popped out to buy a coat and came back 1/2 hour later), 1/2 the queue were people who were on the phase 2 (aka not guaranteed a launch day console, but if they showed up might get one). Got Black Flag* and Killzone at launch in-store, and had NBA 2K14 waiting at home from Shopto

*I did pick up Black Flag a week earlier as Ubisoft released the PS4 version for sale at the same time as the (then) current gen 360 and PS3 consoles, and next gen console in Xbox One. So that was one less thing to carry.

Most memorable moment on picking up the PS4, i also picked up a copy of Super Mario 3D World as it was out the same day. Got to the front to collect my PS4, some chap looked over at me and laughed saying that Mario wouldn't work on my PS4. The chap forgot to even pre-order a PS4, so never got a console that day.

Did have to go to work for a few hours though, so never set-up the console until i got home. Had it sitting there looking at me for 4 hours.

Jencks

Banned
Yeah, I was only a freshman in high school when it came out. I remember the hype was kinda all over the place and it didn't really feel like the launch of a console. Maybe it was just me.

Kensation

Got it from Amazon, my little bro and I played Madden all day.

Also, does anyone have a link to the original US launch OT? Having trouble finding it.

Got the launch edition with Killzone. I had only played KZ2 previously which I hated despite praise and Shadowfall I actually quite liked to my surprise. One of the moments where it went from cutscenes to gameplay I never expected because I thought it was all CG at the time it looked so good.

I picked up Resogun straight away which I got pretty addicted to as well and went for the platinum in the end.

Got it on launch with Killzone, Knack, Need for Speed & Resogun. I really can't believe it's been out for this long as I feel like I have barley any mileage on the console. The first few years were pretty rough with mostly remasters filling the library. I feel like it's finally hit it's stride last year.

I wouldn't mind this gen being long again since since it got off to a super slow start what wasted 2 years in the consoles lifecycle.

Pastry

Banned
My launch memories consist of the hot fucking mess that was BF4 online. My mind would legit have been blown if the game had the polish it did once they fixed it.

Yes ps4 launch is one of the shittiest launches ever. Lots of crappy cross gen stuff, awful killzone and generally underwhelming graphics

.. except Resogun; the only game i enjoyed at launch

Quality >>> Quantity (ps4 was all quantity)

All Quantity? No man, that's hyperbole.

Never understood the hate that Knack and Killzone got. Knack is a simple game, but it's fun and very challenging too. Killzone, meanwhile, has a great campaign with open-ended gameplay (though the story can be a bit weak sometimes) and addictive multiplayer (a mode that also offers some hella varied gameplay, be it with different modes, classes, skills and such).

The PS4 launch was great and these games made it all the better.

black070

The PS4 is the first ever console I've preordered. Knack was my first 'next gen' experience and I enjoyed it, I found the graphics in particular to be mindblowing at the time. Soon after that I moved on to Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag and despite being a cross-gen game, playing through that made me feel my PS4 purchase had already been justified.

Cerbero

It's been awful until bloodborne and uncharted 4 to be honest, 2017 is the first really good year to buy a PS4, Sony should really take notes from the first year of the switch

daveo42

Banned
Pre-ordered from Gamestop and was there for the midnight launch with my best friend. We both got copies of BF4 and KZ: SF, while I picked up Knack and NFS as well. Stayed up all night playing games like we did back in our high school and college days. Lackluster set of launch games for sure when compared to other hardware launches, but I had and continue to have fun with my PS4.

Rival

Gold Member
I had to play bf4 in one setting because it was broken and wouldn't save. The launch lineup was basically just a bunch of unremarkable third party games and a few mediocre exclusives. At least there were games to play.

BigEmil

They should have delayed Puppeteer, TLOU, GT6 to PS4 launch (and other 2013 PS3 titles)

Could have done cross-gen release at its launch also

But yeah until Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare 1 was my first GOTY like next gen game for PS4 which released around early 2014

I'd just moved to Alberta, once I got a job I pre-ordered my PS4 and started slowly socking money away on it until launch time in November when it was fully paid off.

I figured that my launch games would be limited as I didn't have that much money until the craziest trade in deal I've ever heard of happened at Best Buy/ Future Shop.

To this day I still have no idea why it was done, it made no sense for these businesses. The deal was this; trade any game, YES ANY single GAME you have for a straight across trade for Battlefield 4, Assassins Creed: Black Flag and Call Of Duty: Ghosts, you could do these for the PS3 versions or the unreleased PS4. If you went to different stores you could have all 3 whiles supplies lasted.

I was little reluctant believing what a friend told me the day before this all happened, just the same I got up early and headed out, there were short lines at each Best Buy/ Future Shop I went too but nothing too out of control, I systematically did this at 3 stores to trade up for 3 launch games on the PS4, even though I really wanted to play all of these games immediately I got PS4 copies of everything.

I can't even remember what games I traded but it was obviously something I don't miss, I didn't have my full gaming collection with me in Alberta yet so I think I even went and bought a used game or two from EB Games to trade for these launch titles.

Since then I've never heard of anything so crazy for a trade in deal, by the time the masses caught wind of this deal, most people were getting upset they didn't know sooner, lines were getting long and supplies didn't last until the end of the work day.

Zukkoyaki

I can see how an individual would be disappointed with the launch line-up, especially the type of enthusiast you find on places like GAF. But I honestly think the launch was objectively solid. It had a new Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, all of the annual sports games, some stellar indies right out of the gate, etc. Lots of good stuff even if it didn't appeal to you.

Top Bottom