• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk launches: Sega Genesis (August 14, 1989)

As much as the NES was the first home console i had, the Mega Drive was the first home console where i have a lot of fond memories.

I feel like the increase in power allowed more 16-bit games to have more "personality." It's hard for me to explain, but when I see things like Gunstar Heroes, Final Fantasy VI, Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Chrono Trigger, the art styles in these games just scream personality more than much of what I saw in the 8-bit generation due to technical limitations.

The higher quality audio helped as well as far as music and voices in games, so I think it was easier for me to get sucked into a game during the Genesis era than during the Nintendo one, even if some of the games are obviously classics like Mario 3.

Golden Axe and Altered Beast were both System-16 titles developed by the same team. They are stylistically similar due to that and there's even a few things that were taken directly from one and placed into the other. For example, the first creature you ride in Golden Axe is an enemy in Altered Beast.

Holy crap, it wasn't just my imagination, then. Thanks for that info!

Lets also watch:

Classic Gaming Quarterly has some great little mini-docs on the launches for most of the classic platforms.

Super NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSTsyGbUvts

Genesis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5s6EmNTmc8

N64:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeHk5ujpZ2s

PS1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsJVqC0pPFY

Sega Saturn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkdygHiqB40

And more in their channel. They are pretty well produced.

Someone posted one or some of these in one of my previous threads, and yes, I do recommend them!

Peltz

I remember going to a friend's house and playing Golden Axe. Back then, however, I had no idea that the system I was playing was not "a Nintendo" and also had no idea what the game was called. This was right before Sonic took the world by storm so his parents must've bought it near launch.

Nevertheless, the graphics blew my pre-kindergarten mind so much that I still remember it to this day. I had only played an NES previously, so the graphical bump was like wizardry to me. I had never before experienced a jump to a new generation until that moment.

Eventually, Sonic released, I got a Genesis, then got to play Golden Axe in the 6-pack cartridge. Great system that really defined who I am and what my tastes are as a gamer. I still consider myself a Nintendo kid, but the Genesis taught me to appreciate arcade games and other consoles in general.

BiggNife

Yes they were, if you were there at the time. Home 8 Bit system could not compete with a 16 Bit "Arcade at home" system.

I've read before that the Genesis didn't actually start selling in the US until Sonic came out. Is that not true?

e: I don't know if you're based in Europe or the US. I did some research, and I know the Genesis/Mega Drive sold well in Europe from the get go, but in the US the Genesis could not compete with the NES or SNES until Sonic was bundled with it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Never realized I was born the same month the Genesis came out during.

Funny too my first memory of gaming is watching my brothers play Altered Beast at my friends house.

I got my Genesis in Christmas of 89 with Altered Beast, Ghouls n Ghosts, and Revenge of Shinobi. That may as well have been the launch lineup to me.

I must have got mine in either Christmas '92, or Christmas '93.

It was the MegaDrive model 2, and I got Mega-Games 2 and 3.
It was unbelievably good, the best Christmas ever.
67390_front.jpg
Megagamesii_title.png

The first game we played was Streets of Rage 1, I played Co-op with one of my brothers, the one i don't get along well with, I picked Adam, and we reached level 5, the boat level before dying.
We hadn't used the extra lives trick, which we would in the days after. I've never forgotten that.

sor1-gen_charselect.png

The console of my childhood and huge influence on how I view gaming.
The time period was Sega's here in Ireland. I know one kid with a SNES and I felt sorry for him.
In school a kid, who I still know, in fact he served me a pint just last Sunday, claimed to have a Megadrive 3 at home.
In the attic.
We would talk in the playground about Revenge of Shinobi, and how you need to use the Super Jump Magic to get by the falling logs in the waterfall on level two, one kid thought the self destruct Magic gave him extra lives. We exchanged how to get infinite shurikens.

revenge-genesis.png

cheat1.png

I remember playing Golden Axe with the awful hit-boxes and hit-stun, which I recognized at the time, even if I couldn't quite explain why the game is so spongy at the time. The story, the flying turtle, the little guys stealing your magic at the camp fire and beating Death Adder Jr.
It took many years before I recall killing Death Adder Senior for the true ending. Loved seeing all the pallet swaps as the enemies got harder.

Golden_Axe_logo.png

There was Super Monaco GP, and the rivalry you would have with other drivers, the "fosters-esque" adverts, Alien Storm where no one wanted to be the robot with the whip, and Super Thunder Blade where you can beat level one by flying to the top of the screen.
And I'll never forget the first time my friends and I got to Mr X. in Streets of Rage, and then turned on each other.

sorbad-10.gif

One thing I love is the silly memory of my mother helping me untangle the cables each time I set it up.
I always called her for help.

It must have been around 20 Years later she saw me playing Sonic 1 on Xbox 360 and remarked how she always loved that game. How it was nice and pleasant and colourful. And nice to see it again.

She passed away last year and I always think of her when I see the upcoming Sonic Mania game, I remember showing it to her when she was sick, that they were making new games like that again, she thought it was lovely to see, and loved when I would introduce my nephews to the games at home. I told her I'd make sure I'd play it with them when it came out.

311122extraLarge.jpg

My favorite launch ever.

I got Altered Beast (pack-in game) and Ghouls N Ghosts. Even as a kid, I quickly realized Altered Beast was shallow trash - all visuals and nothing else. Ghouls N Ghosts was pretty amazing though and remains one of my favorite games ever.

I noticed that Ghouls N Ghosts, Rambo III (another all-time favorite), and Revenge of Shinobi (a timeless classic) aren't in the OP. Weren't they launch games too?

And I'll never forget the first time my friends and I got to Mr X. in Streets of Rage, and then turned on each other.

sorbad-10.gif

What I love about this: the endings to Streets of Rage 3 were so much more fleshed out than the good/bad endings of the first.

Then again, I always had to play on Very Easy, so I thought the third game ended with the first bad ending and that they never made a sequel. I never realized I was supposed to get the true ending playing higher difficulties. xD~~

Ferr986

I must have got mine in either Christmas '92, or Christmas '93.

It was the MegaDrive model 2, and I got Mega-Games 2 and 3.
It was unbelievably good, the best Christmas ever.

Megagamesii_title.png

The first game we played was Streets of Rage 1, I played Co-op with one of my brothers, the one i don't get along well with, I picked Adam, and we reached level 5, the boat level before dying.
We hadn't used the extra lives trick, which we would in the days after. I've never forgotten that.

sor1-gen_charselect.png

The console of my childhood and huge influence on how I view gaming.
The time period was Sega's here in Ireland. I know one kid with a SNES and I felt sorry for him.
In school a kid, who I still know, in fact he served me a pint just last Sunday, claimed to have a Megadrive 3 at home.
In the attic.
We would talk in the playground about Revenge of Shinobi, and how you need to use the Super Jump Magic to get by the falling logs in the waterfall on level two, one kid thought the self destruct Magic gave him extra lives. We exchanged how to get infinite shurikens.

revenge-genesis.png

cheat1.png

I remember playing Golden Axe with the awful hit-boxes and hit-stun, which I recognized at the time, even if I couldn't quite explain why the game is so spongy at the time. The story, the flying turtle, the little guys stealing your magic at the camp fire and beating Death Adder Jr.
It took many years before I recall killing Death Adder Senior for the true ending. Loved seeing all the pallet swaps as the enemies got harder.

Golden_Axe_logo.png

There was Super Monaco GP, and the rivalry you would have with other drivers, the "fosters-esque" adverts, Alien Storm where no one wanted to be the robot with the whip, and Super Thunder Blade where you can beat level one by flying to the top of the screen.

sorbad-10.gif

One thing I love is the silly memory of my mother helping me untangle the cables each time I set it up.
I always called her for help.

It must have been around 20 Years later she saw me playing Sonic 1 on Xbox 360 and remarked how she always loved that game. How it was nice and pleasant and colourful. And nice to see it again.

She passed away last year and I always think of her when I see the upcoming Sonic Mania game, I remember showing it to her when she was sick, that they were making new games like that again, she thought it was lovely to see, and loved when I would introduce my nephews to the games at home. I told her I'd make sure I'd play it with them when it came out.

311122extraLarge.jpg

That's the pack I had (the Mega Games 2), although I'm fairly sure it didn't had the Mega Games label, it also came with a Model 1 MD.

Sorry about your loss, I'm sure she was a wonderful mother, my mother also remembers Sonic games because I played so much of them as a kid, she has the ring souind ingrained lol. Hope Mania can deliver :)

Phediuk

Thunder Force 2 is great; the rest, not so much.

Revenge of Shinobi, Ghouls n Ghosts, and Herzog Zwei weren't far off though.

The Genesis ran extremely strong against the SNES in the United States where 2/3 of the sales came from. The funny thing is the Saturn ended up bombing in the United States as the Genesis was still selling like crazy.

Didn't get a Genesis till 1995.

Funny enough I was getting Sega Vision Magazines for a system I never owned

Very similar to me, I think it was '96 I got mine and may even have been later. And like you, I'd still read the mags so I knew what games to look out for.
The good thing about getting a system late is that you have a huge library of games to choose from and they're usually going cheap.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Space Harrier II was/is AMAZING

Always funny to me how my older sisters NES and my older brothers Atari collected dust
but GENESIS was hooked up and played daily for ten years...LOVED that system.

How I found out about the level select in Sonic 2:

wrxYq8d.png

Seeing that level select screen was a mind warp.

eJFY4zc.png

All that power at my fingertips! =P

I have it lying somewhere in my parents' house. I should take pictures of it next time I visit.

EDIT: Speaking of level selects, and though none of these are launch games, why did the level select for Sonic 3 had to be so hard to input even once you knew the buttons? The timing to get it to work was insane. I'd just input the ones from Sonic 1 and 2 easily, but Sonic 3 required super-fast inputs.

I feel like the increase in power allowed more 16-bit games to have more "personality." It's hard for me to explain, but when I see things like Gunstar Heroes, Final Fantasy VI, Sonic the Hedgehog, Streets of Rage, Chrono Trigger, the art styles in these games just scream personality more than much of what I saw in the 8-bit generation due to technical limitations.

The higher quality audio helped as well as far as music and voices in games, so I think it was easier for me to get sucked into a game during the Genesis era than during the Nintendo one, even if some of the games are obviously classics like Mario 3.

I know what you mean. I feel this is the point in the industry where developers finally had the hardware to realise more creative visions. Higher resolutions more colours and better animation made sprites seem more than just a collection of blocks and and became actual characters with personality. Worlds were larger and more alive and music elicited more emotion.

They also had the previous years to refine and perfect gameplay concepts on a 2D plane.

Ferr986

How I found out about the level select in Sonic 2:

wrxYq8d.png

Seeing that level select screen was a mind warp.

eJFY4zc.png

All that power at my fingertips! =P

I have it lying somewhere in my parents' house. I should take pictures of it next time I visit.

EDIT: Speaking of level selects, and though none of these are launch games, why did the level select for Sonic 3 had to be so hard to input even once you knew the buttons? The timing to get it to work was insane. I'd just input the ones from Sonic 1 and 2 easily, but Sonic 3 required super-fast inputs.

About Sonic 2

DQ6HJwd.png

Fuck this stage. Seriously, it was featured in ALL magazines and Sonic 2 promo videos. You can't imagine how much time I wasted trying to find this level, INCLUDING renting a japanese copy of the game lol

I always wanted Space Harrier 2 to get a Fantasy Zone 2-style remake as if it was running on the same arcade hardware as the first Harrier.

About Sonic 2

DQ6HJwd.png

Fuck this stage. Seriously, it was featured in ALL magazines and Sonic 2 promo videos. You can't imagine how much time I wasted trying to find this level, INCLUDING renting a japanese copy of the game lol

LMAO!!!!!

That's awesome, and that's a serious laugh out loud from me. I'm glad I never saw that in any magazine. I did play it on the Sonic 2 Beta back in the early 2000s, and I wish they could have had more time to work on the game so the level could have been included. In the beta, the 2-player Mystic Cave music is used in Hidden Palace. I know that one piece of music in the sound test that wasn't in the game is said to be what would have been the Hidden Palace song (I'm pretty sure, anyway), but the 2-Player Mystic Cave song actually fits a lot better.

That's what they ended up using on the mobile version, so I guess I don't really know what that somber song was going to be.

EDIT: If I'm reading correctly, that unused theme was supposed to be a cutscene after becoming Super Sonic. That makes sense because it doesn't sound like a song for a level.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
About Sonic 2

DQ6HJwd.png

Isn't that now available in the mobile version of the game?

Ferr986

LMAO!!!!!

That's awesome, and that's a serious laugh out loud from me. I'm glad I never saw that in any magazine. I did play it on the Sonic 2 Beta back in the early 2000s, and I wish they could have had more time to work on the game so the level could have been included. In the beta, the 2-player Mystic Cave music is used in Hidden Palace. I know that one piece of music in the sound test that wasn't in the game is said to be what would have been the Hidden Palace song (I'm pretty sure, anyway), but the 2-Player Mystic Cave song actually fits a lot better.

That's what they ended up using on the mobile version, so I guess I don't really know what that somber song was going to be.

EDIT: If I'm reading correctly, that unused theme was supposed to be a cutscene after becoming Super Sonic. That makes sense because it doesn't sound like a song for a level.

Actually, with some codes you can "enter" Hidden Palace in the retail version. Of course the area has literally no graphics but that track sounds in it, so yeah it was planned for the whole stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC7tR5YekIQ

As a kid I was fucking sure that track was from that stage and the mysterious tone of the track only made my research worse lol

Btw, I rented a japanese copy because I saw it in a video store and though maybe the japanese version was different. It wasnt lol

I don't even know how they had a japanese copy there...

Isn't that now available in the mobile version of the game?

Yes, although the level layout is totally remade by Taxman, the level layout is totally new. But you can enter "Proto Hidden Palace" with a cheat, and that's faitful from the real stage (atleast how it was in the Beta).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLJtShbLomI

These days that Sonic 2 level would be made available later on as dlc and people would complain about content being cut and sold on for extra income.

Developers have always had to leave elements on the cutting room floor, I guess that back then they would just have to wait until the sequel to incorporate it.

These days that Sonic 2 level would be made available later on as dlc and people would complain about content being cut and sold on for extra income.

Developers have always had to leave elements on the cutting room floor, I guess that back then they would just have to wait until the sequel to incorporate it.

Sonic and Knuckles would have been major DLC.

Top Bottom