• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk Until Dawn, this seems like a proper remaster?

3rd person mode
New animations
New vfx and environmental art
New soundscape
New engine

That sounds like quite the overhaul, the trailer really didn't convince me of all the above though. Poor trailer or over sold remaster?
Some comparison shots would help?

midnightAI

3rd person mode
New animations
New soundscape
New engine

That sounds like quite the overhaul, the trailer really didn't convince me of all the above though. Poor trailer or over sold remaster?
It really does look like they just ported it to UE5 and left it at that, which is weird because it was Decima, why not just improve what was there already using newer Decima (maybe just as much work as porting and the team doing it are just used to using UE I guess)

It's borderline on a remake, I think, as it goes beyond what a usual remaster project entails. Another good example of this is Metroid Remastered on Switch.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Find me one person who asked for this
There are a lot of people who actually crave interactive horrors, even the mediocre ones, like The Dark Pictures. Especially if we add PC.

UD is an early hidden gem that could (in theory) work quite well with good re-introduction to new audiences. Also, cast from the game (Rami Malek) also gained a lot of fame since then and could attract some new players.

Plus the teaser showed way more effort that I've expected. Especially if we consider the headache of an engine switch (from pre-Decima Killzone tech to UE5)

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Some comparison shots would help?
53500474717_8ddebe7388_o.png

ss_7f8154ba8de5e5823e935dabb10a4e5e7ac010da.jpg

53501360416_accdcc4204_o.png

ss_ba9ea9c933bf12c95f432a4fbd03d458f9d00270.jpg

ksdixon

I'd like an alt ending for those that have already finished this. Like I believe an old trailer or chapter bumper showed something that couldn't happen.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm sure someone out there is excited for this remaster / remake.

Congrats someone. I think a movie is also coming if I'm not mistaken. Saw an article on that recently.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
3rd person mode
New animations
New soundscape
New engine

New Hayden Planetarium

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
PS4 YouTube capture
1NvgGaF.jpg

PS5 press Release
1Z8139B.jpg

Like I said in the other thread, I can see the improvements to the textures and that but it I still think it looks better here on the PS4.
Maybe it just a bad capture but the PS5 one looks like a game and a bit off
The PS4 version is pretty close to to being realistic until close inspection.

Last edited:

Fake

PS4 YouTube capture
1NvgGaF.jpg

PS5 press Release
1Z8139B.jpg

Like I said in the other thread, I can see the improvements to the textures and that but it I still think it looks better here on the PS4.

In the other thread while one of the users call me blind to not spot that HUGE of difference.

I still think there is difference indeed, but PS4 still pretty damn good. IDK how far people can go on the fanboy stuff, but I do believe sometimes the PS5/PC parts will be better while others PS4 will be better too.

And are those pictures from PS5/PC what they call bullshots?

Fabieter

It really does look like they just ported it to UE5 and left it at that, which is weird because it was Decima, why not just improve what was there already using newer Decima (maybe just as much work as porting and the team doing it are just used to using UE I guess)

It will probably help speed up future remastered from the studio.

midnightAI

It will probably help speed up future remastered from the studio.
Well I'm hoping that they take over the reins and make the follow up if Supermassive arent going to do it, in that sense changing engines to something you are more familiar with would make sense

midnightAI

We found one who's asking for it. Wrap it up.
Oh behave, plenty of people are probably looking forward to this (I have the original and so far I havent seen any reason to get the new one personally but that could change) and they are making a film also.

Last edited:

Hugare

PS4 YouTube capture
1NvgGaF.jpg

PS5 press Release
1Z8139B.jpg

You can clearly see that this isnt necessarily an upgrade, and that was a given, since the original still looks really damn good.

Textures may be better, but colour grading is different and completely change the look of the game for the worse (from what I've seen so far). Hair is also very aliased, ugh.

I expect some things to look better, most to look worse, and the original will end up being the better version.

Right here. I tried to play it after the Quarry and I swear it was 30 fps so I noped out. I look forward to this.
It runs at 60 FPS on the PS5, 'cause the original had an unlocked framerate. Pretty stable 60.

bender

What time is it?
I just worry about performance. And it being a remake probably rules an upgrade path. I love the game but I'll probably wait for a deep discount.

Jesb

It’s kind of shameful out of all the games they could’ve remastered or remake they do this one which nobody asked for. But than ignore one that fans are screaming and crying for.

Trunim

3rd person mode
New animations
New soundscape
New engine

What do you mean 3rd person mode? You mean first person?

xrnzaaas

So do I need to get my eyes checked or does PS4 Hayden Panetierre look more attractive? It's like they've tried to go with the more realistic face surface or whatever in the remake.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So do I need to get my eyes checked or does PS4 Hayden Panetierre look more attractive? It's like they've tried to go with the more realistic face surface or whatever in the remake.

It's the Vaseline.

cormack12

Gold Member
What do you mean 3rd person mode? You mean first person?

....this new version of Until Dawn ditches the fixed camera angles of the original in favour of a new third-person perspective - a perhaps surprisingly change given the whole point of the original was to replicate the classic slasher movie experience,

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not a worthy remake imo. Vastly overrated game. Sure it’s better than a lot of others from the same genre but that doesn’t mean it should be remade lol.

Meh low hanging fruit. To each their own I guess.

Top Bottom