• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets try this again - will 60gigs be enough with so much stuff to download?

ManaByte

Sorry about that. My keyboard was posting a new post when I hit space for some reason.

Anyways; something that was brought up in conversation the other day was will 60gigs be enough with so much to download on the PS3?

Ok, first you have the downloadable games.

Then you have PSOne titles.

Eventually PS2 titles.

That's not counting music you import, movies you import/download, or any demos, microtransation purchases, etc.

When you put all of that into consideration, 60gig actually seems pretty small.

Is anyone else thinking ahead and going to be very careful with how they utilize their PS2 HD space?

guise

If Sony are serious about digital distribution, 60 gig is nowhere near enough.

Good thing the PS3 has alternative methods of backing up data.

Marlowe

Eventually, no -- depending on usage. I tend to clear my 360 drive once a week of all non-gaming items (trailers, etc.) so I'm still fine.

By the time it will be a problem, much larger drives will be as expensive or cheaper to add on. But 60 for now seems plenty for me -- that is, in Spring when I finally can find a PS3... :-(

Kutaragi mentioned back before a harddrive was going to be in the PS3 that there wouldn't be one because it wasn't going to be big enough. So they were just going to leave it up to consumers to purchase their own.

nubbe

You can never have enough space. Struggling to manage 300gig on my computer and 13 on the 360.

No matter how big the pound is it will be swarming with goldfishes.

As for PS2... only FFXI really used the HDD

Safe Bet

Banned
bestbuydr4.gif

?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
trancejeremy said:
It will probably be like the PC - you can never have too much free hard drive space. Luckily, it's upgradeable...

Which begs the question: how are you going to sawp all your files (and this includes downloaded additional content and gamesaves, not just music/movies/photos) from one internal HDD to the other? Probably u wont need to swap the additional content since you can re-download it, but still, not going to be easy.

The only solution I can see is using an external HDD as a swap-device. Put the stuff in the ext-HDD > replace the standard PS3 HDD with a new, bigger one > move the files from the ext-HDD to the internal one.

But you would need a USB HDD in the first place to do this. OR, being able to link the PS3 with your PC and use its HDD for swapping.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
External HDD: Video Files, Pictures and Music

Internal HDD: Demos, Trailers, Game Installs

I think it will require a good amount of File Management (Housekeeping) when your keeping lots of game installs on the HDD. 60GB should be more than enough though (IMO). If not, buy a 100GB+ 2.5" HDD

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
if the connection is fast to the content server and the process is correctly managed, then the HDD should be thought of more as a cache rather than as a permenant storage.

once you've paid for a download, then it may well be that you just delete and redownload.

Of course, perhaps that's pie in the sky stuff that's a year or two off for internet connections/server capacity/bandwidth, but that's how i see it going.

Raistlin

TTP said:
Which begs the question: how are you going to sawp all your files (and this includes downloaded additional content and gamesaves, not just music/movies/photos) from one internal HDD to the other? Probably u wont need to swap the additional content since you can re-download it, but still, not going to be easy.

The only solution I can see is using an external HDD as a swap-device. Put the stuff in the ext-HDD > replace the standard PS3 HDD with a new, bigger one > move the files from the ext-HDD to the internal one.

But you would need a USB HDD in the first place to do this. OR, being able to link the PS3 with your PC and use its HDD for swapping.

I think the solution is pretty easy.

Purchase a USB 2.5" External Enclosure

Purchase a new 2.5" drive.

Place the new drive in the enclosure and back up to it.

Swap the drives so the new one is your internal drive, and the original drive is a backup external drive.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
60 GB is way too small. Well, for people like us at least. It'll probably be big enough for a casual gamer

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the ps1 downloads are meant to be transferred over to psp -- i imagine they'll be smaller than the original disc images. and as far as demos, trailers, 'arcade' games, and perhaps a few installs at any given time, i think 60gb will be more than enough for me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Onix said:
I think the solution is pretty easy.

Purchase a USB 2.5" External Enclosure

Purchase a new 2.5" drive.

Place the new drive in the enclosure and back up to it.

Swap the drives so the new one is your internal drive, and the original drive is a backup external drive.

Ah, didnt know about the External Enclosure thing. I guess it's cheap.

ManaByte

drohne said:
the ps1 downloads are meant to be transferred over to psp -- i imagine they'll be smaller than the original disc images. and as far as demos, trailers, 'arcade' games, and perhaps a few installs at any given time, i think 60gb will be more than enough for me.

Why would they be smaller? It's the same game, just running in emulation on the PSP...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't think many psp owners have >1gig sticks -- games taking up hundreds of MB each would be pretty inconvenient. just compressing the audio would save a lot of space, particularly for games that used redbook.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
don't forget, we won't really have 60GBs. Some of that will be lost to formating. Another chunk will have to go to cache. Then, I'm not sure about the Linux part. Finally, install a game or two to decrease loading ~10GB. I just don't want any freaking out like the 360 when people find out they don't have as much space as they thought. Does anyone know about the space the Linux will take?

Raistlin

TTP said:
Ah, didnt know about the External Enclosure thing. I guess it's cheap.

Yeah ... you can get a USB 2.0 one for $30-40.

Much better deal than getting an external HDD IMO. Cheaper, and more flexible.

ManaByte

drohne said:
i don't think many psp owners have >1gig sticks -- games taking up hundreds of MB each would be pretty inconvenient. just compressing the audio would save a lot of space, particularly for games that used redbook.

Um, it's a selling point for the 1-4gig Memory Stick Duos. That's one reason they're running an ad for the PSP and the Mem Stick Duo right now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
yjs666 said:
Guys, this is why we have our PCs.

Finally, the best answer here. Non gaming crap Sony will throw up for download on their store will probably be somewhere else on the net for you to download onto your computer. Also, how many games do you need to have downloaded at once? Not only that, shouldn't it work that if you pay for the game, you should be able to download it to your system as many times as you like? How many old ass games do you need to play at once? =P

Lorul2

I just happened to be watching Gamespot the other day, and the" Sony guy said "SONY doesn't want you messing with the internal HD". Can you use an external USB HD for downloadable content, Cache-ing games, Game Saves, PS1 games, etc? Just asking..

Hopefully the PS3 will support network drives. I dont know about the rest of you, but there is no way in hell I will be happy having an USB cable hanging from the front of my PS3 all the time.

ManaByte

Lorul2 said:
I just happened to be watching Gamespot the other day, and the" Sony guy said "SONY doesn't want you messing with the internal HD". Can you use an external USB HD for downloadable content, Cache-ing games, Game Saves, PS1 games, etc? Just asking..

I saw that too, and that's what sparked "is 60gigs enough"? Since according to the Gamespot video where SCEA said that; it doesn't appear the internal drive is upgradable now.

BlueTsunami

Arde0 said:
Hopefully the PS3 will support network drives. I dont know about the rest of you, but there is no way in hell I will be happy having an USB cable hanging from the front of my PS3 all the time.

This is what I'm hoping also. There NEEDS to be NAS support.

Raistlin

BlueTsunami said:

It appears that support isn't there at this point for the XMB - at least not for media streaming. That isn't to say it won't be added later though.

Unless Linux is ultra gimped, it should work fine from there though.

BlueTsunami said:

Well KK said the damn thing was a computer...NAS is an absolute must in my books too. There is just no way around it if they really want the PS3 to act as a true media hub ala 360 and the MCE.

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
I saw that too, and that's what sparked "is 60gigs enough"? Since according to the Gamespot video where SCEA said that; it doesn't appear the internal drive is upgradable now.

I was under the impression that was not true???

BlueTsunami

Onix said:
It appears that support isn't there at this point for the XMB - at least not for media streaming. That isn't to say it won't be added later though.

Hopefully it gets added as some Firmware update. I would like to be able to access my media and stream from the XMB. I would understand if its not there from the get go though.

Arde0 said:
Well KK said the damn thing was a computer...NAS is an absolute must in my books too. There is just no way around it if they really want the PS3 to act as a true media hub ala 360 and the MCE.

I definitely agree

rastex

Banned
I know that Sony would like the PS3 to replace computers, but it's just not going to happen. Over 100 million computers are sold a year, that is more than the entire PS2 install base is purchased every year. What does this mean? everybody has a computer. So why fight and compete with that? It's a huge pain in the ass to transfer files around, I mean lugging your external HDD? come on, it's archaic. Linux will be great because you'll definitely be able to stream media content from networked PCs. Right now XMB is way more gimped than the 360 dashboard entirely out of the lack of streaming options.

Streaming from PC is the way to go, so hopefully Sony introduces a firmware update that provides this capability sooner rather than later.

Raistlin

vissione said:
We think it's not true because that SCEA rep just responded like a jackass. He obviously didn't know what he was up against, and kept saying "as far as I know" or "that's a good question" before deciding on something to say.

I wish someone with a clue worked at SCEA so we could get some answers soon. I know we'll get them on the 17th, but damn... it's like nobody knows what the PS3 is supposed to do or not.

I thought this was directly addressed at TGS during the Q&A ... or am I remembering that incorrectly?

BlueTsunami

It would be weird if Sony just busted out with Proprietary HDDs or made the HDD on the PS3 inaccessible. Carrying over their thought process from the PS2.

Raistlin

vissione said:
What I know is various game journalists have reported "things" but no one has down a concrete break down of what's going on.

Does the PS3 recognize the PSP as an external HDD?
-Definately confirmed and demonstrated

Since I watch anime a lot on my PSP, I'm constantly using my PC as a buffer between encoded episodes and my 1GB Memory Stick. My PC recognizes the PSP as an external HDD, and logic would point towards the PS3 doing the same with a USB HDD formatted in FAT32. Nobody has tried it so nobody is willing to say "yes, definately, positively it is possible" but all signs point towards "yes," people "think." See what I mean?

The 17th can't come soon enough.

I'm talking about swapping the internal drive.

I could have sworn that question was directly asked and answered.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Day one I'm swapping out the 20 gig drive and putting in the biggest SATA 2.5" drive I can find.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
fortified_concept said:
No and that's why I'm buying the 20GB version and replacing the hdd in the near future with a 200GB one.
Same here. With HDMI included in both SKUs, I'll just buy the biggest drive available for switching purposes.

Kangu

Banned
drohne said:

Not just that, redundant data that exists to speed up load times on disc based media will definitely be removed, as it's worthless in this context.

C4Lukins

It is enough for most of your basic needs. Even the 20 gig 360 HD is fine unless you like collecting trailers and demos on your harddrive. If you were wanting to store your entire PS2 collection, 500 HD-Full length movies, and your collection of 10,000 cd's then no it is way to small.

We are still not at the point, and I do not think we are all that close to the point where a console will be able to actually store a ton of high quality media on it.

Top Bottom