• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets try this again - will 60gigs be enough with so much stuff to download?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Hold on, I'm very worried now about the whole "we don't want people messing with the HDD." I hope they don't turn around and pull the MS deal where you can have an external HDD, but only for songs and videos. I was told differently, don't screw me in the final hour d@mnit.

Speevy

Banned
This isn't very hard to figure out. You can already download or transfer anything on your PC, so just translate that to the PS3.

The Xbox 360's content is very controlled, and thus, the eventual 100 GB is probably enough for most people.

Azrael

If it becomes a problem, you'll just archive your content on an external HDD and keep the stuff you're currently playing/play frequently on the internal drive.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Have Sony confirmed that you can archive your downloads from the store to an external drive?

Is the internal HDD definitely upgradeable? On the last episode of On the Spot they had a Sony guy in and he dodged the question about upgrading the hard drive and just said that you can expand via USB.
I really badly want to see a video of someone pulling the HDD out of the 20GB/60GB variants for reassurance.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Geezer said:
Is the internal HDD definitely upgradeable? On the last episode of On the Spot they had a Sony guy in and he dodged the question about upgrading the hard drive and just said that you can expand via USB.
I really badly want to see a video of someone pulling the HDD out of the 20GB/60GB variants for reassurance.

I wouldn't be concerned. He wasn't sure on many things, and seemed to just go with conservative answers "just in case". They've been very clear that it's upgradeable, and there's access to it for that purpose. There was an official picture some time ago of the HDD slot open with the hard disk removed, and it was just a normal 2.5" drive.

My hope is to get a 20GB version and upgrade the HDD, but availability may change that.

gofreak said:
I wouldn't be concerned. He wasn't sure on many things, and seemed to just go with conservative answers "just in case". They've been very clear that it's upgradeable, and there's access to it for that purpose. There was an official picture some time ago of the HDD slot open with the hard disk removed, and it was just a normal 2.5" drive.

The only problem sony has is with support. They don`t want a million calls from people who've tried to update and cocked it up. since replacing the HD presumably won`t invalidate the warranty, they need to work out how to avoid that

Defuser

Oh come on,how many online PSone games are you gonna buy?30? even if it is 30 most of the PSone games are less than 800 mb to start with so it's more than plenty enough for 60gb.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wasn't there talks about PS3 games being installable, to an extent, on the HDD to lessen the loading times? I'd think that would take up a fair chunk of the space available in the long run if accurate.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
chigiri said:
Wasn't there talks about PS3 games being installable, to an extent, on the HDD to lessen the loading times? I'd think that would take up a fair chunk of the space available in the long run if accurate.

Well if it's like the PS2 in that regard it will just be 1 gig here or there not very often. Not full installs.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Emerson said:
Well if it's like the PS2 in that regard it will just be 1 gig here or there not very often. Not full installs.
I have RR7 and "5 gigs install" (cache?) in my head, can't for the life of me remember where I acually read it though. Might've been on the PA forums. And yes, obviously it wont be full installs (Resistance 20gig! :lol ), most likely just game caches. Still they'll probably take up quite a bit of space due to the increased size of most of the games.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
gofreak said:

I hope so, it's a bit late in the day for Sony to go back on the upgradeable HDD stance.

gofreak said:
My hope is to get a 20GB version and upgrade the HDD, but availability may change that.

Same here:)
The biggest I can find is 160GB but it's pricey, I can get hold of 80GB for £50, which is about my sweet spot and enough room for all the goodies I'll need. I'll just use an external drive for video storage if I need it in future.

chigiri said:
I have RR7 and "5 gigs install" (cache?) in my head, can't for the life of me remember where I acually read it though.

RR7 has an optional 5GB cache install option to speed up load times, confirmed.

john tv

fortified_concept said:
No and that's why I'm buying the 20GB version and replacing the hdd in the near future with a 200GB one.
Exactly. Me too. I'll probably put in at least 200GB after a couple of months. The extra $100 for wi-fi and card ports I'm not going to use anyway are going towards a gigantic replacement hard drive instead.

Midas

I'm getting one of these for my PS3.

327388.jpg

lips

:D when ever i get a new drive, I try to fill it up as fast as possible, no matter what. I already filled my 1000 gig raid. what can you do when you sata2 connections are all full, I ask ya!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
john tv said:
Exactly. Me too. I'll probably put in at least 200GB after a couple of months. The extra $100 for wi-fi and card ports I'm not going to use anyway are going towards a gigantic replacement hard drive instead.

You can try ebay your 20GB drive too to save a bit more :p It's a standard drive, I'm sure someone might want it..

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Manabyte said:
Why would they be smaller? It's the same game, just running in emulation on the PSP...
1) Repackaged for downloads, size will probably be considerably smaller for many larger games.
2) Reconfigured/patched to work with PSP emu (this is 360 style emulation we're talking about here, not something that will work with any generic PS1 app).

TiVo

An XBOX 360 20 gig is really 13 gigs

So a PS3 60 gig is more like what? 53 gigs?
60-7=53

In order for fast load times for RR you need 5 gigs?
53-5=48

How many games will have this feature? lets say 5 games
5*5=25 so 53-25=48 gigs

PS3 is supposed to have DVR features. Yes/No?
I have a 60 gig Ipod with music, pics, music videos, tv shows & movies = 50 gigs.

48-50= -2

60 gigs FTMFL

Anything else i'm missing?

Top Bottom