• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Letter from America: Do you need a PS4 right now? (No, says Jaz Rignall. Not really.)

Tak3n

Banned
Lock if old

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-16-letter-from-america-do-you-really-need-a-ps4-right-now

Obviously mostly aimed at us pesky Europeans, but actually the article is a good read, no Hyperbole..

Though this bit concerned me

The first was Call of Duty: Ghosts, which looks fantastic on PS4.

Jaz Rignall (Never heard of him) basically goes on to say KZ and Knack were boring and NFS along with Resogun are the only must have titles

I'm not really complaining, but gaming has always been about gameplay first and foremost. Playing something in super-cool, 1080p, 60fps, holy crap-o-vision is awesome for sure, but if it's no fun, isn't challenging, or is basically the same thing you've played before, those good looks won't carry the game for very long. And Killzone Shadow Fall is a good example of that. We did a bit of a hatchet job on it, I'm afraid, which did upset a few people. But as someone who played it for hours at a recent review event and was bored witless by its by-the-numbers gameplay, I have to support Jeremy's limbo-low score. He also got lumbered with reviewing Knack, which he's still in the process of working through. I played it at that same review event after Killzone, and it was like a double-snoozer whammy.

But he does finish on a positive note

Of course, the PS4's launch games are a mere hint to what's to come, and we looked at what's up and coming on the indie front. There are some great titles in the works, and I think Sony has done a great job in taking the indie initiative. Microsoft is still scrambling, and while they'll catch up of course, Sony has the edge right now

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Ah screw this jaded mindset, when did people start to have so little fun with video games?
It's video games, people! Video games! Start having fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree with him that gameplay is first. So I guess I can understand preferring CoD if the gameplay is better than other games + nice HD lick of paint.

And I agree you don't 'need' one now. But also that its completely fine to want one now. Even if there are no exclusive games worth buying, it is worth having for your usual raft of Q4 multiplatforms in higher detail, plus more to come next year.

I don't entirely understand why they kicked KZ for having 'by the numbers' gameplay when surely CoD is just as bad in the single player? CoD gets reviewed for the multiplayer and the campaign pretty much ignored, but KZ gets creamed for lacklustre campaign? I hope they re-review when they've had time with multiplayer. Jaz updated the review with some initial positive impressions of multiplayer, but thats only after a short time.

Jaz Rignall (Never heard of him)

Child.

jaz.gif

I agree with everything he said, but I still want a PS4 because I'm a nerd. For the average punter though, and any of my friends, I'd tell them to wait until later next year when there's more content they can't already play on 360/PS3. My friends couldn't give two shits about 1080p etc, they just want to play FIFA and CoD and they can already do that.

I guess that means I'm old. Jaz, mate, should you be reading this, thanks for all the good times over the years; still got a stack of old C&VGs around the place, still love your work :D

Me too. I remember they used to constantly mention his 9,999,999 score on Super Mario World!

Hanmik

so an article aimed at us Pesky Europeans, that are still waiting for the console to be finished by this guy

sacki0uq7.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I also think that calling games incrementally better is doing them a disservice and is lazy writing. Sure, they have the same content as the PS3 versions, but if you're almost getting the PC version then isn't that a good thing? And thats just rushed launch games. It'll only get better from here.

kurbaan

Banned
I dont really understand why all these journalists are trying so hard to stop people from buying a PS4 (or maybe Xbone too) and moving to next gen. Doesn't really make any sense. I can understand in the review something like wait for more games if you dont like these. But its like article after article or some of the live streams on launch day its like they are going out of their way to stop people from upgrading.

Not saying its some MS consipiracy they might do the same with the xbox. I am just confused why these guys are so against upgrading to next gen.

kudoboi

I know i don't. there are too few titles to even make up for the 399 USD pricetag. The only game im even interested for PS4 is resogun

Child.

jaz.gif

I agree with everything he said, but I still want a PS4 because I'm a nerd. For the average punter though, and any of my friends, I'd tell them to wait until later next year when there's more content they can't already play on 360/PS3. My friends couldn't give two shits about 1080p etc, they just want to play FIFA and CoD and they can already do that.

is that julian rignall..as in the same dude who used to work with richard leadbetter on the uk mags C&VG and Mean machines almost 20 years ago?

Edit...yep it is
Dudes been around since allot of you were itches in your daddies jocks

Huggers

I dont really understand why all these journalists are trying so hard to stop people from buying a PS4 (or maybe Xbone too) and moving to next gen. Doesn't really make any sense. I can understand in the review something like wait for more games if you dont like these. But its like article after article or some of the live streams on launch day its like they are going out of their way to stop people from upgrading.

Not saying its some MS consipiracy they might do the same with the xbox. I am just confused why these guys are so against upgrading to next gen.

It's a predictable angle to kick against the hype. Will be largely ignored imo

le.phat

It's exactly this mindset that empowers the whole 8-10 grade scale bullshit going on in the press. So because he feels games like killzone and knack are boring and/or lack challenge, he advises against picking up a PS4 ? Because he feels only resogun and N4S are worth it ?

Who is he adressing this to ? The early adapter. Being one,i love the sensation of a new cutting edge gadget. When psone came out and i didn't have money for a game at launch, i played the demo disk ( the one with the dino) and i fucking loved it to death.
Even if killzone isn't the flawless must-have instant classic for the ages, it's still a AAA production on new hardware, ready to flex it muscles for me to swoon over. It's still a very solid shooter and as someone who played the shit out of the KZ2 multiplayer, is something i very much look out to. So thanks, but no thanks Jaz. I'm perfectly capable of keeping my expectations in check and find enjoyment in games even if they are deeply flawed.

Chobel

It seems most of the gaming journalists want gamers to not buy PS4 (at least for now). Am I missing something here? what's with all this hate against PS4?

MisterM

I can see where he's coming from, yeah.

I gave away my PS4 pre order for this very reason, I have a 360, Vita, decent PC and there's nothing really that tickles my pickle that I can't get on another platform.

That said, the inner nerd in me is regretting giving up my pre order because it's new and shiny and I want one "just because".

Replicant

It seems most of the gaming journalists want gamers to not buy PS4 (at least for now). Am I missing something here? what's with all this hate against PS4?

You'll notice that despite PS4 just sold 1 million units in 1 day, there's barely any gaming publications that report this story. Of all places, Variety is the one that reports this.

It's like gaming publications are upset that their chosen narrative is not coming true so they are now doing their best to ignore reality as if it doesn't exist.

Abounder

Banned
Next gen doesn't have a killer app for the near future, and it's really more of "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" when it comes to video game experiences especially if have a gaming PC. These consoles and their games seem underwhelming but time will tell. But I still want them

You'd think creating enthusiasm for a new generation of consoles would be in the best interest of people whose line of work hinges on providing info about new shit would be kind of obvious.

I'm sick of this long ass gen

MilkBeard

I can understand journalists not being so excited by it...but honestly, as a gamer, I'm glad I picked up a PS4. I've been playing Killzone and Assassin's Creed 4, and it has been worth it to be part of the excitement. Games look good and play well.

If you just want a new console to experience the next gen feel and to be able to play some multiplatform games with better framerates, and you have a tv that will output the proper 1080p display, and you have the extra cash lying around, then why not.

Game journalists do have a point in their critiques, but sometimes they miss the point when it comes to getting new technology. It's a fun experience. But I guess I agree that none of the games so far are must have 'OMG shoot me in the face' kind of good. That hasn't been a problem for me. It helps that I'm having a great time with AC4. It's a much better game than III, and it's worth it to play with the better framerate and higher detail.

mclem

Lock if old

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-16-letter-from-america-do-you-really-need-a-ps4-right-now

Obviously mostly aimed at us pesky Europeans, but actually the article is a good read, no Hyperbole..

Though this bit concerned me

Jaz Rignall (Never heard of him) basically goes on to say KZ and Knack were boring and NFS along with Resogun are the only must have titles

As it happens, he was a recognisable name in 80's gaming magazines in the UK. Formally it's "Julian" Rignall.

tim.mbp

lol @ the Sony conspiracy. There's always articles like this when new tech is out. If you are super excited with the launch software then by all means buy a PS4 now. If you are not, it makes sense to wait until the platform matures.

MilkBeard

Honestly I think this is why people are so excited to get a new console, and why the PS4 has broken every first-day record. The games are pretty average, but there's at least enough there to feel content. This is part of the reason why I jumped into next gen. I'm fucking ready for a new system with better specs, dammit.

mclem

I don't think they're against upgrading to next gen at all, they just don't feel it's particularly worthwhile to do so yet. At some point, of *course* there's going to be a critical mass of product, but I think it's perfectly valid to suggest that it's not there yet.

Journalist doesn't want the PS4 to be ahead by a lot. They thrive on controversy. Too bad for them, most gamers don't read game articles and go by word of mouth and advertisement.

GavinGT

Banned
You'd think creating enthusiasm for a new generation of consoles would be in the best interest of people whose line of work hinges on providing info about new shit would be kind of obvious.

They exist to provide purchasing advice.

Yeah, it does feel a bit like that, doesn't it?

I mean it does make some sense to wait. But, I am okay with jumping in. My PS3 has lasted me since launch and I have pretty much quite PC gaming, so I am kind of looking forward to shifting gears a bit. Can't say CoD interests me one iota though. It is interesting that the majority of these articles have been focused towards PS4 though. I suppose it has garnered a lot more positive hype.

dejay

Banned
Quite a few gaffers have come to the same conclusion. It's not a conspiracy and he's not wrong; you don't neeeed one right now. There are limited games and really not much in the way of must-haves. It's a pretty box with not much content. Kinda like Kim Kardasian.

But I wouldn't kick Kim out of bed and I'll be picking my launch console up on the 29th.

Jaz Rignall (Never heard of him)

He was great in the Beverly Hills Cop movies.

Jezbollah

is that julian rignall..as in the same dude who used to work with richard leadbetter on the uk mags C&VG and Mean machines almost 20 years ago?

Edit...yep it is
Dudes been around since allot of you were itches in your daddies jocks

This :)

Getting Zzap64 flashbacks something rotten. Never got over the whole Mean Machines Sega/Nintendo Magazine System "split".

C&VG was essential reading to all at my high school .

I can't bring myself to click it because EuroGamer lost my hits a long time ago. However, Julian 'Jaz/Jazza' Rignall is only one of the respected games journalists out there. He was the former editor of Mean Machines in the early 1990s, and to many (in Britain, at least), he's a legendary figure.

Yagharek

I have to say based on the launch and upcoming lineup, I'm distinctly unimpressed with the games on PS4 for now. I see no reason to get one yet.

By all accounts it is a very impressive piece of hardware, and Sony's move towards independent developers will likely bring some great games ... but that will be in due time of course.

If you're not chomping at the bit for new hardware, its better to wait for the must-have games to start arriving, and with that the article makes a solid point.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I have to say based on the launch and upcoming lineup, I'm distinctly unimpressed with the games on PS4 for now. I see no reason to get one yet.

By all accounts it is a very impressive piece of hardware, and Sony's move towards independent developers will likely bring some great games ... but that will be in due time of course.

If you're not chomping at the bit for new hardware, its better to wait for the must-have games to start arriving, and with that the article makes a solid point.
My argument against that: Since it is highly unlikely the price will drop by the time the good times start rolling, people might as well jump in now anyway.

cacildo

Ah screw this jaded mindset, when did people start to have so little fun with video games?

Well...
Its my opinion, but i really started to have little to no fun just when i got a PS3

Thats why i was set to not get a ps4 long before its release. Because its the same thing again.

wowlace

So....all these "journos" that are telling us we do not need a next gen console, I take they have sent their consoles back to Sony and Microsoft?

Yagharek

I dont think he is trying to stop people buying one. Just putting forward the perspective that he doesn't feel he needs one right now.

And given he has been playing and writing about games for a loooong time, perhaps his threshold for good games and justifying a console purchase is different to yours. Which is cool, but its not a conspiracy.

Just a viewpoint advocating patience if none of the current games appeal.

My argument against that: Since it is highly unlikely the price will drop by the time the good times start rolling, people might as well jump in now anyway.

My counter-argument: even if the price doesnt drop, launch issues will be ironed out and people who wait will be able to make a more informed purchase with less chance of buyers remorse.

Also, if you wait for a price drop, even if its a longer time til then, there will be even more games to get (and the prices of software WILL drop).

ZehDon

Nobody ever really needs a console, plenty of people obviously wanted the PS4 though.
Oh, I need a PS4. It is medically impossible for my body to sustain this level of anticipation for much longer.
Give_it_to_me.gif

In all seriousness though, it seems a lot of "game journalists" aren't excited for the PS4 - though some of these same people are trumpeting the Xbone, which doesn't track logically in my opinion. If you like games, then the PS4 is something to be excited about - even right now, a mere 72-odd hours after it's launch. Shit, I've never played a PS3 - but I damn well got excited for The Last of Us cause that game looked gooooood. I don't know - I'd be happier if they were like "Hey, I like Xbox and the Playstation doesn't appeal to me" rather than attempting to present an biased negative opinion as fair and objective. Just gets under my skin.

Rainy Dog

What's Jaz's hair like these days? Used to be a thing of legend.

It actually won worst reviewers hair style of the season during one episode of Gamesmaster where Dominik Diamond described it as somehow managing to combine 3 bad haircuts into one - mullet, spiked and gelled back sides. Even managed to beat out one guy who had possibly the fuzziest hair ever sporting the 'dreaded shredded wheat in a thunderstorm look'.

Waiting a year for an unlikely 50 dollar price drop is a waste of time. Got the money and nothing to spend it on, might as well hop on aboard.

Top Bottom