• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEVEL #34 - reviews Killzone 2, SFIV, Persona 4 and more...

birdchili

akachan ningen said:
HOTD:O score is surprising? Have you guys played any of the HOTD games?
hotd 2 was grand fun on wii - i'd gladly take something like that expanded to a more console-sized experience (weapon selection, bigger multipath levels and generally more options).

i can't say the ads for overkill had me sold (style/subsance), but it seemed like a good idea in the general.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Honestly, not too surprised by the HotD score. Always struck me as a game that would probably miss its mark.

birdchili

Cosmonaut X said:
How? Style or execution?
the style is definitely less compelling than the originals: cheesy, gory and "mature" vs. cheesy, gory and cartoony.

execution just seemed too arcade-like and not enough like umbrella chronicles (which had some issues, but was a big game with interesting weapon-selection options and a good learning curve).

we'll see i suppose...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
birdchili said:
execution just seemed too arcade-like and not enough like umbrella chronicles (which had some issues, but was a big game with interesting weapon-selection options and a good learning curve).

If Overkill is the polar opposite of Umbrella Chronicles I’ll be overjoyed. I hate that game so much.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Cosmonaut X said:
How? Style or execution?
I merely thought back on western devs' track record with the lightgun genre.

Trepidation seemed like the best stance to take.

birdchili

EatChildren said:
If Overkill is the polar opposite of Umbrella Chronicles I’ll be overjoyed. I hate that game so much.
really short, super fast so aiming is a secondary concern, and no hidden stuff to allow for interesting level replays?:)

yeah - i get why people didn't like it - particularly people who were expecting something paced like hotd... but it did a decent job of expanding this kind of concept to a "console-sized" game imo.

unless there are massive technical/gameplay problems in overkill, i'm buying it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
birdchili said:
really short, super fast so aiming is a secondary concern, and no hidden stuff to allow for interesting level replays?:)

yeah - i get why people didn't like it - particularly people who were expecting something paced like hotd... but it did a decent job of expanding this kind of concept to a "console-sized" game imo.

unless there are massive technical/gameplay problems in overkill, i'm buying it.

I can see exactly why people found Umbrella Chronicles fun, it just hit a wrong chord with me from the moment I picked it up. I tried to get into it, but it was futile; I hate the game.

If I recall from previews, Overkill is only supposed to be 2.5 hours long and has few, if any, alternate paths through levels. Maybe that’s the killer; short with zero replay value beyond high scores.

FirewalkR

chico said:
so... world of goo is better than killzone 2?! :lol

Hmmm.. the fact that I saw many people saying it was better than Braid (which is brilliant) makes World of Goo automatically awesome.

Shig said:
I merely thought back on western devs' track record with the lightgun genre.

Trepidation seemed like the best stance to take.

Ah. Fair enough, though the previews
lol previews
have been fairly uniformly positive (glowing in some cases) so I'd be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt.

As for UC vs HotD... they're really quite dissimilar and I like both of them for very different reasons, but if I had to pick one that was most flawed it would be UC every time. It's an interesting evolutionary off-shoot of the lightgun genre but not one that was anywhere near fully-developed in RE:UC.

Dascu

I'd wait for more reviews before calling doom and gloom on HotD Overkill. All the other previews have been very positive. Seems more like a case of anti-lightgun bias.

EatChildren

Dascu said:
I'd wait for more reviews before calling doom and gloom on HotD Overkill. All the other previews have been very positive. Seems more like a case of anti-lightgun bias.

That’s what confuses me. I expect the game to be short and linear, and graphically I think it could be better (blob shadows are gross), but I’m yet to read a hands-on preview that spoke ill of the game. All were positive, and some very much so.

Either they don’t like lightgun-esque shooters, hated the length and lack of replay value, or there is something fundamentally broken with the gameplay or build that no-one else has mentioned.

Mamesj

Banned
chico said:
so... world of goo is better than killzone 2?! :lol

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Mamesj

Banned
RavenFox said:
Nice knowing ya

it's called mockery, but fixed.

oh, I see. This is one of those "it's not a 10, so I'm gonna bitch at everyone who brings that up" kinds of threads.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mamesj said:
it's called mockery, but fixed.

oh, I see. This is one of those "it's not a 10, so I'm gonna bitch at everyone who brings that up" kinds of threads.
What?

Yeah, I'm going to wait on the other reviews for HOTD. 3/10 seems very low for such a game that's been plauded in so many previews.

Perdew

3/10? Last game I got that was 3/10 was God Hand, and it was woooonderful! Overkill is now a must buy for me!

FEAR score doesn't surprise me.
The demo is nothing special at all (in fact, it's a disappointment in comparison to the original).

EatChildren

Still no details on the SF4 and HotD:O reviews?

soqquatto said:
so... you don't understand review scores?

(world of goo is brilliant and I've heard reports that killzone is not that good anyway)

Probably from bill gates or other from the competition,because all i have read and see about Killzone2 is pure greatness.

Top Bottom