• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 announces brand new game in Tokyo today

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Amir0x said:
MINUS 1,000,000,000 INTEREST POINTS
Okay people, this game can't brew interest anymore.

FateBreaker said:
I was hoping for Dragon Quest IX

So, let's see, now there's four RPG's they're making? (If you include the add-on stuff to Rogue Galaxy).

Hopefully it all stays good....AND HOPEFULLY ANOTHER TITLE IS DRAGON QUEST IX :D
We still haven't seen a new title being directed by Hino, maybe he's doing that.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
I don't know what this talk of a Sony break or lack of it is even doing here.
They are not part of Sony.

Remember TFLO and DQ8?
Level 5 is an independent developer.

People have short memories. This is why there are so many brain training games, to help them improve! :lol

demi

Jonnyram said:

Remember TFLO and DQ8?

Yeah and TFLO GOT CANNED WHILE DQ8 MARCHED ONWARD

I see what you did there, RamJonny

datruth29

Um, this just sounds like an adventure game that may have some creative puzzles in it. Because, you know, we always bitch about the lack of adventure games on these boards, so this should be considered a good thing. Why are some of you guys disappointed again???

this has tons of potential - and really, where is the non-game stuff coming from? Are people seriously thinking this will be a non-game, or did my sarcasm meter bust again?

Sallokin

I'll wait to see some screens before I write it off. It at least sounds interesting. I always hoped their DS efforts would be more SRPGish though.

duckroll said:
The game itself is an adventure game where an english gentleman named Professor Reiton (Leyton?) and his young assistant Luke solve puzzles together in a heart-warming atmosphere.

Dear lord... Oscar nominee confirmed?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jonnyram said:

Remember TFLO and DQ8?

Got to hate on Sony some way.

duckroll

It's not a non-game, it's an adventure game. Level 5 invited a third party to supervise the puzzles in the game simply because as someone else pointed out, they have no experience in it. However, whether the game is actually story based or completely involving random puzzle solving is unknown at this point.

ethelred

datruth29 said:
Um, this just sounds like an adventure game that may have some creative puzzles in it. Because, you know, we always bitch about the lack of adventure games on these boards, so this should be considered a good thing. Why are some of you guys disappointed again???

I know, I'm baffled.

Clever Pun said:
this has tons of potential - and really, where is the non-game stuff coming from? Are people seriously thinking this will be a non-game, or did my sarcasm meter bust again?

Nope. Your sarcasm meter's working just fine. Apparently now even the word "puzzle" and "adventure" is enough to evoke "non-game" -- never mind Zelda, Monkey Island, Myst...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the nintendo ds really brings the best out of developers. could kojima productions have experienced a creative apotheosis like their stock market...thing on any other platform? and now level 5 brings us "brain teasers" with professor cretin and his catamite!

Sallokin

Jonnyram said:

Remember TFLO and DQ8?

What was the official reason for the TFLO cancellation? I wasn't really following XBOX stuff back then.

Also, what's this extra Rogue Galaxy stuff that was mentioned?

jj984jj

duckroll said:
It's not a non-game, it's an adventure game. Level 5 invited a third party to supervise the puzzles in the game simply because as someone else pointed out, they have no experience in it. However, whether the game is actually story based or completely involving random puzzle solving is unknown at this point.
But you made Amir0x uninterested in the game, all threads about it in the future will be a debate about what this really is and if it will be good now.

Amir0x

Banned
jj984jj said:
But you made Amir0x uninterested in the game, all threads about it in the future will be a debate about what this really is and if it will be good now.

I didn't ever say it was a non-game! That's other people.

datruth29 said:
I don't think it is the adventure game part that people have a beef with, it is the "heart-warming" part that makes me throw up in my mouth.

Mrbob

drohne said:
the nintendo ds really brings the best out of developers. could kojima productions have experienced a creative apotheosis like their stock market...thing on any other platform? and now level 5 brings us "brain teasers" with professor crouton and his catamite!

Seriously. What the hell is going on.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i think "author of popular brain teasers" is what suggests a brain training cash-in of debatable gameness

demi

sugarhigh4242 said:
do you really care which sells more?

will it make you enjoy the games more?

Sounds like someone is betting on the DS. Ha. Hope you love the taste of defeat, loser.

demi said:
Sounds like someone is betting on the DS. Ha. Hope you love the taste of defeat, loser.

uh...

i was banned recently for being "one of the biggest sony shills". Of course, i vigorously deny that catergorization...

ethelred

Benadryl Hitman said:
I don't think it is the adventure game part that people have a beef with, it is the "heart-warming" part that makes me throw up in my mouth.

Because Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Jeanne d'Arc, and Rogue Galaxy took place in such dark, twisted, tormented, and mature worlds?

Do you people even play Level 5 games?

So this is a kind of Brain Training like... Is this one of the DS games that is supposed to be revealed in Famitsu Wednesday ? Maybe...

Amir0x

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
But it's not DC3 either, therefore a total waste.

I mean, how well did DC2 sell?

Well I agree that Dark Cloud 3 needs to happen. DC2 sold not too well, at all...unfortunately.

jj984jj

ethelred said:
Because Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Dragon Quest VIII, Jeanne d'Arc, and Rogue Galaxy took place in such dark, twisted, tormented, and mature worlds?
DQVIII is as dark, twisted, and mature as DQ gets man.

ethelred said:
I wouldn't consider those games to have heart-warming worlds either...

ethelred

jj984jj said:
DQVIII is as dark, twisted, and mature as DQ gets man.

That's like saying the Oscar the Grouch segments are as adult as Sesame Street gets.

Benadryl Hitman said:
I wouldn't consider those games to have heart-warming worlds either...

Oh, okay. Maybe I was confused in Dark Cloud 2; there was such a dark tinge to the happy-go-lucky overall-clad mechanic who valiantly fights off monsters with a smile and a wrench.

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
Well I agree that Dark Cloud 3 needs to happen. DC2 sold not too well, at all...unfortunately.

In Japan the game exceeded expectations, but yeah it sold like crap in the USA. :/

Jonnyram

Sallokin said:
What was the official reason for the TFLO cancellation? I wasn't really following XBOX stuff back then.
Official reason: the game wasn't up to quality so both sides decided to cancel it rather than wasting more money.

The real reason: the network code was broken and unfixable.

I'm still waiting for L5 to make a network game.

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:
Official reason: the game wasn't up to quality so both sides decided to cancel it rather than wasting more money.

The real reason: the network code was broken and unfixable.

I'm still waiting for L5 to make a network game.

No need for a network game. Plenty of them out there. Level 5 should concentrate on continuing to be the prominent Japan RPG developer to lead on another generation. White Knight Story sounds like a great start.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
we are seeing a backlash against a game with minimal details!? AWESOME!

I thought Level 5 were , you know, good?

ethelred

DCharlie said:

They were... until they became associated with the DS in the form of a single game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
until they became associated with the DS in the form of a single game.

yeah, HEART WARMING STORY? PUZZLES? ADVENTURE? DS!!?? sounds like shit!

Whats this , a game about a guy who can transform into a Knight?! They're ****ing geniuses! ;)

neo2046

news for N-fans

Nintendo conference has just started in Japan
Miyamoto has just announced "Health Pack" (code name) for Wii
and a new cooking guide (similar to cooking Navi) for DS also announced

Amir0x

Banned
DCharlie said:

It's not an RPG, and they brought in some brain teasing guy to direct. That's already two strikes! It may be good, but it's not so interesting yet... maybe more details will make it better.

neo2046 said:
Miyamoto has just announced "Health Pack" (code name) for Wii

Is this...that... Wii Aerobics?

dili

My Arms Your Hearse said:
WHERE THE **** IS NEXT-GEN DARK CLOUD

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
YES. Where the hell is my DC3 Level 5!

I imagine A next-gen DC on PS3 would be equal to Rouge Galaxy's animated cinemas or better. Just thinking about it makes me want to pull an isamu

duckroll

ethelred said:
They were... until they became associated with the DS in the form of a single game.

No no, it's until they became associated with a DS non-game cash-in which is so heart-warming it makes Care Bears look like Evangelion. And all that without even the need for a press release or single screenshot! THE POWER OF GAF! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom