• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Kama2k

Neo Member
Can anyone give me their thoughts on this keyboard, It's quite cheap and has kailh switches rather than cherry mx but are very similar as far as I know with subtle differences in sound and feeling. I haven't currently got the money to splurge on a top end keyboard but I need a stop gap to use because I cannot bear this mushy rubber dome I am typing on now. I could when I save a bit get say a poker or noppoo dump it on my younger brother who wouldn't mind either as he;s using a crappy Logitech.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...e-shaft-gaming-keyboard/316138_671942864.html

Water

It's an IBM Model F. Replaced a $3 keyboard from Microcenter. It's my first mechanical keyboard.
So yeah.... anyone else got an old-ass IBM keyboard they're using? Didn't see any in the previous pages
I'm interested in trying a buckling spring keyboard, but for my use a modern layout and NKRO are absolutely necessary. Unfortunately old-ass IBM keyboards offer neither.

Anyone else interested in this switch type should keep an eye on Unicomp which, according to their FB page, is finally working on a compact model. Not an April's fool joke despite the post date.

Serandur

I tracked down and bought myself a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Edition (wanted the Cherry MX blue, not take a chance on Razer's green switches). I just got it yesterday and must say I'm actually very happy with it (aside from the burning hole it left in my wallet). I like the matte finish, the whole thing feels pretty sturdy, it matches my DeathAdder, and the clicks are awesome (just a little bit annoying in some quieter/peaceful times in games when I'm trying to enjoy the calming atmosphere; hopefully I'll adjust).

Typing in particular has never been more satisfying, but I'm a bit apathetic as far as it goes for games. This and my new DeathAdder are my first Razer products, felt like taking a risk. :p

Looking for the best switch for a good combination of typing and gaming, what would be the best suggestion? tempted to go with either blue or brown mx switches. possibly thinking about green though.

Sarcasm

I am looking to purchase a keyboard (mechanical) and wondering..if these are good choices:

Steel Series 6Gv2 and the Razer Blackwidow.

Now the real questions is there really a difference between the three widows?

Blackwidow has the green switches,
Ultimate has the orange and LED lightning (which..I could care less about)
Stealth..slight orange.

Any guidance will be helpful =D

H1PSTER

Currently using a Blackwidow with Blues... I love the click but I absolutely hate the noise, which switches should I be looking at if I decided to change keyboards?

Water

I am looking to purchase a keyboard (mechanical) and wondering..if these are good choices:

Steel Series 6Gv2 and the Razer Blackwidow.
Depends on what you are looking for.

Razer makes mediocre hardware backed by lots of marketing bullshit, and add negative features (you can't even use their mouse/keyboard drivers without online activation). I would never buy a keyboard from them. If you want a "gamer" board with a lot of extra buttons and bling, I'd rather look at Corsair or Logitech for instance. I'd only consider Razer if you are on a tight budget and find one at a very steep discount.

The 6Gv2 has a Fn key instead of Windows key on the left, would destroy productivity for me. It has black switches, which (objectively) are heavy and have no clear activation point. Subjectively, I think they have a mushy feel and feel terrible especially when typing. If your subjective preferences are different then this can be a good cheap keyboard. But most likely you'd be best served by other cheap plain keyboards in this style... some Coolermaster, Rosewill models perhaps?

ref

Currently using a Blackwidow with Blues... I love the click but I absolutely hate the noise, which switches should I be looking at if I decided to change keyboards?

Browns.

They are tactile (meaning you still *feel* the click like blues, but they don't have the noise of blues, they are much more quiet).

Sarcasm

Depends on what you are looking for.

Razer makes mediocre hardware backed by lots of marketing bullshit, and add negative features (you can't even use their mouse/keyboard drivers without online activation). I would never buy a keyboard from them. If you want a "gamer" board with a lot of extra buttons and bling, I'd rather look at Corsair or Logitech for instance. I'd only consider Razer if you are on a tight budget and find one at a very steep discount.

The 6Gv2 has a Fn key instead of Windows key on the left, would destroy productivity for me. It has black switches, which (objectively) are heavy and have no clear activation point. Subjectively, I think they have a mushy feel and feel terrible especially when typing. If your subjective preferences are different then this can be a good cheap keyboard. But most likely you'd be best served by other cheap plain keyboards in this style... some Coolermaster, Rosewill models perhaps?

I just discovered the K95 & K70 & 710..I cant decide...lol

Browns.

They are tactile (meaning you still *feel* the click like blues, but they don't have the noise of blues, they are much more quiet).

Not tactile enough, unless I got sent the wrong keyboard. Much prefer blues to browns as far as tactile feel goes.

FaintDeftone

I have a basic stock Compaq membrane keyboard that I use for my gaming rig that is probably 6+ years old. The thing is dirty, old and looks disgusting with nasty stains all over the keys. I was going to buy a new keyboard and figured I should finally go with a mechanical.

I was pretty sold on the Razer Blackwidow since my favorite color is green and I love the backlighting on it. Although I have heard a lot of complaints with the thing due to their shit software and goofy key configuring. Also, that thing is just crazy pricey.

After looking at other keyboards, I think I'm going to go with the Corsair K70. I like the red backlighting too (which will match my Corsair PSU which also glows red) and the fact that I can add the textured WASD keys is pretty cool. Plus the keyboard is currently $25 cheaper at Best Buy.

I may drop the cash on it tonight. We'll see.

My brother bought me a Corsair K70 Vengeance for my birthday today and I'm loving it. Seriously! I was a little worried that Brown MX switches wouldn't be for me, but I'm really liking how they are.

I don't know if i could go back to a rubberdome keyboard now, this is too nice.

fedexpeon

Banned
Anyone knows of a good foldup mechanical keyboard for laptop?
I have to carry the slim Dell keyboard with me since it is the only keyboard that I have that is "small" enough to kind of fit in my bag.

AxeMan

I bough this this mechanical KB as my first one. Went the brown switch as I didn't like the feel of the red and black was too heavy for me
I love it

Gigabyte_Aivia_Osmium_1.JPG

SigSig

My Switch Tester finally arrived :)
I was really surprised, I thought I'd prefer MX Blue or MX Green since I didn't really like MX Browns, but apparently all I needed was a bit more resistance. MX Clears feel so good!

Anyone knows of a good foldup mechanical keyboard for laptop?
I have to carry the slim Dell keyboard with me since it is the only keyboard that I have that is "small" enough to kind of fit in my bag.

Wouldn't a 60% keyboard be best for this? I have a KBT Pure, which I really enjoy on the go. I also used a Cherry G84-4100 in a cramped record studio once and it was great.

Beholda

Neo Member
Got myself a cmstorm quickfire pro with black switches somewhat recently as my first mechanical keyboard. It takes a little getting used to but I'm very happy with it now. I just wish the quickfire pro had a full backlight instead of just the 'gaming cluster', but I can't exactly complain given the price I suppose. Picked it up for $69.

jeffers

Cheapest I can find a brown K70 atm is like £109 on amazon, got a £25 giftcard also. anyone see it getting any cheaper anywhere anytime soon? or something better value/better choice?

So yeah.... anyone else got an old-ass IBM keyboard they're using? Didn't see any in the previous pages
Not using either at the moment, but I have a Model M and a Model M2 sitting around. They're both a bit too big and loud for my setup these days, but make for good defense weapons in case of burglars.

McBryBry

I've been considering the CM Storm Quickfire TK. Any reason I shouldn't? Never had a mechanical keyboard, and I'm itching to try the blues. Plus, added bonus of the pulsing blue backlight!

fedexpeon

Banned
Wouldn't a 60% keyboard be best for this? I have a KBT Pure, which I really enjoy on the go. I also used a Cherry G84-4100 in a cramped record studio once and it was great.

Huh, I never thought of that.
Guess I will buy a numberpad add-on with it for the total package.

Godan

I am looking at taking my first step into mechanical keyboards. Currently use a Alienware TacX keyboard and mouse and really want a change.

Been looking at getting the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 but unsure really. Is there anything out there that is better than this. I play almost all types of games but my most played game is League of Legends. Would also like to get a mmo type of mouse to go with the Keyboard that would sort of match it. For a budget I have about £120 i could spend on the keyboard.

Any advise would be awesome

Addnan

I've been considering the CM Storm Quickfire TK. Any reason I shouldn't? Never had a mechanical keyboard, and I'm itching to try the blues. Plus, added bonus of the pulsing blue backlight!

I have been using that exact keyboard for just over a year now, pretty much perfect if you want blue keys. Nice price too. Only had a small issue where the mini usb cable got damaged somehow, but it is detachable and was easily replaced. CM actually sent me another cable very quickly but I just used one that was in my house.

SigSig

The Keycap Font is some 1337 Mnt Dew gamer crap. Otherwise, it's a fine keyboard.
Instead of buying a whole keyboard to try a switch I'd suggest first ordering CM's Switch Tester, so you can try them all before deciding.
It contains

MX Blue, MX Green,
MX Brown, MX Clear,
MX Red, MX Black

Which basically covers the whole Cherry MX range (tactile with click, tactile without click, non-tactile and both available actuation forces for each of them).

Been looking at getting the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 but unsure really.

I'd not buy Razor Keyboards right now, since they are using rebranded Cherry-MX-Clones and nobody knows how much abuse they can take. I read their Marketing Claims, and everything about it sounds stupid as fuck.
What are your requirements for a mechanical keyboard? Do you need backlighting on the keys? Have you already tried different switches?

Is there anything out there that is better than this.
Keyboards are pretty much an open ended scale and what Razer is trying to push is (imho) overprized entry level stuff.

Water

I was pretty sold on the Razer Blackwidow since my favorite color is green and I love the backlighting on it. Although I have heard a lot of complaints with the thing due to their shit software and goofy key configuring. Also, that thing is just crazy pricey.
If the Corsairs look good to you, that seems like your best bet, especially if you are going for a board at the low end of the price range. You could also check if you can find a deal on a Rosewill Helios RK-9200 or another board that has green backlighting. The highest quality keyboard you can get with green backlighting is probably a Ducky. They aren't absurdly expensive but you won't find a cheap deal on them either. These are clean designs with no arsenal of gaming macro keys, so if you want those, it's Corsair again.

A good mech KB can last you something like ten years, so I suggest getting what you think you'll be really happy with, rather than make compromises trying to save a few bucks.

Water

Been looking at getting the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 but unsure really. Is there anything out there that is better than this. I play almost all types of games but my most played game is League of Legends. Would also like to get a mmo type of mouse to go with the Keyboard that would sort of match it. For a budget I have about £120 i could spend on the keyboard.
1) don't buy Razer, they are bad-to-mediocre hardware with high end pricetags and BS marketing
2) what features do you actually want out of a keyboard?
3) if you are right-handed and you don't really need a numeric keypad, buy a tenkeyless / compact board for superior ergonomics and desk space
4) even if you need a numpad, the high end option is to still buy a tenkeyless / compact board and then just have a separate numeric numpad - high end mech keyboard manufacturers like Filco, Leopold, Topre offer separate USB numpads

BrumGB

I sold my mechanical keyboard the other day, got really hyped about purchasing one as well. Maybe the switches weren't for myself ? (MX Cherry Red)

The keys were awesome for gaming (fps games ^_^) Thing is I hated regular typing / programming on it,, the keys were way too "light" for my liking.

Since I've purchased a steelseries apex, not mechanical but gives a decent balance between gaming and programming oooh and looks nice which is always a bonus.

Water

Sure, the blank keyboard alone costs even more. Problem is VAT and shipping cost is like 40% of the total.
Also,
14204751519_c0a32869da.jpg

Big brother says hi:

iSvYNMcl.jpg

Got it through a friend's Japanese girlfriend so the price didn't hurt. About 4-5 years in service and going strong. I have the Filco at home, Topre Realforce 87U took over at work.

How long does everyone think it takes until you get used to using a mechanical keyboard? currently using brown switches, but I'm trying to get out of the habit of typing too hard. It's not easy!

they make a version with red switches. I own it, I like it, glad it doesn't have a windows key on the left.

Water

they make a version with red switches. I own it, I like it, glad it doesn't have a windows key on the left.

Good to know that there's a red switch version. I suspect most people should go for that rather than the blacks, but as always, this is subjective. I haven't had the chance to try reds myself but I suspect I wouldn't like them as much as browns due to the lack of tactility.

Re: Windows key on the left, that's a very good spot for a key in terms of accessibility. Even if I didn't need Windows key / Command key for productivity, I'd definitely want a´ normal software key in that spot on the keyboard rather than a dedicated hardware key that's only useful for the functions hardcoded into the keyboard. Normal keys can always be locked or repurposed in software if necessary. I suspect it would take about 10 minutes to write and test an Autohotkey config file which turns a regular Windows key into a copy of the Steelseries key (ignores any other keypresses, accepts the same key combinations as media keys).

Many gaming and high end mechanical boards have key combinations or DIP switches to quickly disable the Win key or swap it with another key; I find that a much nicer approach than just leaving it out.

Alexalder

Banned
Good to know that there's a red switch version. I suspect most people should go for that rather than the blacks, but as always, this is subjective. I haven't had the chance to try reds myself but I suspect I wouldn't like them as much as browns due to the lack of tactility.

Re: Windows key on the left, that's a very good spot for a key in terms of accessibility. Even if I didn't need Windows key / Command key for productivity, I'd definitely want a´ normal software key in that spot on the keyboard rather than a dedicated hardware key that's only useful for the functions hardcoded into the keyboard. Normal keys can always be locked or repurposed in software if necessary. I suspect it would take about 10 minutes to write and test an Autohotkey config file which turns a regular Windows key into a copy of the Steelseries key (ignores any other keypresses, accepts the same key combinations as media keys).

Many gaming and high end mechanical boards have key combinations or DIP switches to quickly disable the Win key or swap it with another key; I find that a much nicer approach than just leaving it out.
Reds are awesome. I switched from a Corsair K60 (Highly recommended for low budgets) to Filco just to get it tenkeyless and with that oh-so-nice monolith (should i say mini-lith?) feel.
The cloud of boobs thing is absolutely correct, plus for gaming it's even better, but i don't game so much

Water

Reds are awesome. I switched from a Corsair K60 (Highly recommended for low budgets) to Filco just to get it tenkeyless and with that oh-so-nice monolith (should i say mini-lith?) feel.
Where they are readily available, Leopolds and the low end of the Ducky range are very good while not breaking the bank. I'd consider them a better default choice than Corsair. Actually the Leopold tenkeyless even look better than Filcos. A blank model doesn't have a single letter printed on it - no logo, no text needed on indicator lights since the lights are on the respective keys.
The cloud of boobs thing is absolutely correct, plus for gaming it's even better, but i don't game so much
If Cherry switches = cloud of boobs, I wonder how you'll describe Topre switches when you (inevitably) end up getting a keyboard with them. ;-)

badb0y

lol @ Razer hate in this thread. I actually have the Black Widow Ultimate Stealth (Orange Switches) and it's doing really well. Build quality is top notch thus far and the keyboard doesn't feel cheap at all. It's pretty heavy and durable.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I'll be the first in line to talk poorly about Razer products, but their keyboards are top notch.

I bought two awhile back before I knew much about mech KBs, both are still in use (not by me, I moved to MX Reds). They have to be 4 years old by now. Still working like they are brand new.

Alexalder

Banned
Where they are readily available, Leopolds and the low end of the Ducky range are very good while not breaking the bank. I'd consider them a better default choice than Corsair. Actually the Leopold tenkeyless even look better than Filcos. A blank model doesn't have a single letter printed on it - no logo, no text needed on indicator lights since the lights are on the respective keys.
Corsair has so much build quality and design that it is tempting even to me, black blank keyboard lover. Plus the keycaps being on top of the keyboard makes it extra easy to keep it clean. I am really worried for my Filco now.

If Cherry switches = cloud of boobs, I wonder how you'll describe Topre switches when you (inevitably) end up getting a keyboard with them. ;-)
Only reds are boobs ;) About the Topre, while i am afraid of not getting one under 400€ due to what i payed for this one, i am even more afraid of the non-clicky switches. Are they really that good?
Yeah, I'll be the first in line to talk poorly about Razer products, but their keyboards are top notch.

I bought two awhile back before I knew much about mech KBs, both are still in use (not by me, I moved to MX Reds). They have to be 4 years old by now. Still working like they are brand new.
This makes no sense, Razer makes really good mices and mousepads, shitty headphones and absolutely horribile keyboards. Everything is wrong in them, from the weird keycap shape and lettering, to the LED fest, to the build quality. Everything

mkenyon

Banned
This makes no sense, Razer makes really good mices and mousepads, shitty headphones and absolutely horribile keyboards. Everything is wrong in them, from the weird keycap shape and lettering, to the LED fest, to the build quality. Everything
I almost spit my water all over my monitor reading this :p

No LEDs on the basic models though. When they came out, there wasn't much competition. Like I said, there's two in my office being used by other people that I bought when they first came out. Not a single problem yet, which is more than I can say for my Leopold or Rosewill RK-9000. The build quality is fine, there's nothing wrong with the design, lots of heavy materials. I'm not a fan of gloss plastic, but some people are.

Alexalder

Banned
I almost spit my water all over my monitor reading this :p

No LEDs on the basic models though. When they came out, there wasn't much competition. Like I said, there's two in my office being used by other people that I bought when they first came out. Not a single problem yet, which is more than I can say for my Leopold or Rosewill RK-9000. The build quality is fine, there's nothing wrong with the design, lots of heavy materials. I'm not a fan of gloss plastic, but some people are.
Are you arguing deathadder is not one of the best mices of history? You would be one of few. This is kind of ot though

mkenyon

Banned
Are you arguing deathadder is not one of the best mices of history? You would be one of few. This is kind of ot though
One decent, but not top tier, mouse that has iffy build quality does not mean that they make good mice. That means they make good MOUSE (not counting for the OG Boomslang, shit was amazing way back when). :p

Compared to Mionix Avior, SS Rival, and Logi Proteus, it's second tier.

The rest of their inventory is laughably bad. Crappy sensors galore fitted to mice that fall apart like crazy.

BadData

I have a keyboard with MX Browns at work, and I super love it. I want to get something that feels as good for the house, but I'm worried about keeping my girlfriend up at night with loud typing... Can anyone recommend something that feels more awesome than a dome switch, but is as quiet as possible for late night coding session? Thanks!

SigSig

I have a keyboard with MX Browns at work, and I super love it. I want to get something that feels as good for the house, but I'm worried about keeping my girlfriend up at night with loud typing... Can anyone recommend something that feels more awesome than a dome switch, but is as quiet as possible for late night coding session? Thanks!

Have you tried silencing your browns with o-rings?

SigSig

o-rings are terrible

they feel mushy and destroy the feel of the board

I don't use o-rings, but how would they destroy the feel of the board if you dont bottom out the keys?
The MX Browns acuation point (which, being the switch's main characteristic, imo is the main point of the keyboard) remains tactile.

Okay, I'm really confused whether the keyboard I got actually has Browns, because the keyboard I got that claims to be equipped with Browns has no tactile feedback as far as I can tell and is as quiet or even quieter than a typical rubber membrane keyboard. Is there an easy way to check what type of switch a given keyboard actually has?

SigSig

It's normal for the Switch to be fairly quit when going past the acuation point - the MX Brown isn't clicky after all.
There should be a small tactile bump. I also don't notice is while typing, which is why I prefer MX Clears.
If you really need to know, look up how to remove a keycap and just look at the switch.

Top Bottom