• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Okay, I'm really confused whether the keyboard I got actually has Browns, because the keyboard I got that claims to be equipped with Browns has no tactile feedback as far as I can tell and is as quiet or even quieter than a typical rubber membrane keyboard. Is there an easy way to check what type of switch a given keyboard actually has?

Remove a key and look?! Browns are supposed to be quiet, but you should feel a slight bump when you press a key.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a keyboard with MX Browns at work, and I super love it. I want to get something that feels as good for the house, but I'm worried about keeping my girlfriend up at night with loud typing... Can anyone recommend something that feels more awesome than a dome switch, but is as quiet as possible for late night coding session? Thanks!
Topre or CM Novatouch.

mkenyon

Banned
Let's have a look at th... oh my, it's a Topre based CM? I think i may have found my new toy for later this year when there's hopefully an EU ISO release with a big fat enter key!

I've got my eye on this, thanks!
Topre sort of design, but also a bit different. One of the cooler benefits is that MX keycaps are 100% compatible.

Topre sort of design, but also a bit different. One of the cooler benefits is that MX keycaps are 100% compatible.

I've been glancing through some of the reports and MX keycap compatibility is fantastic. This board is definitely shaping up to be my year end treat and possibly earlier as i have to move to an open-plan office with a couple of other teams soon so a quieter keyboard might be wise. I know i could get some O rings or learn to type better but i've always wanted to try Topre and this could be the excuse i need to justify it to myself.

nakedeyes

Banned
welp. after wanting a mechanical keyboard for years.. I finally did loads of research and ordered one:

The Topre Realforce 87U Silent. It was pricey, but I am hoping it is worth it! I saw a couple people in the thread with some experience. Seems pretty legit!

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se170s

One question maybe someone knows something about: I want to get some colored caps to go with this thing. The most easily available thing I see are these on amazon. Anyone know if the Topre keys are generic enough that I can get that set and put it on the 87U I ordered? It looks like the space and enter keys are different sizes.. but if I just want to change the letters / numbers, maybe Ill be ok?

Water

welp. after wanting a mechanical keyboard for years.. I finally did loads of research and ordered one:

The Topre Realforce 87U Silent. It was pricey, but I am hoping it is worth it! I saw a couple people in the thread with some experience. Seems pretty legit!
I was initially disappointed in mine because the outer keys felt too light and I got accidental "A" key presses when I thought I was just resting my fingers on the board. It was so awkward, I retired it in a desktop drawer for months. But when I tried it again, it was the best thing I've ever typed on. (This was with variable weight keys, the same as your model, where the outer keys are only 35g; no other keyboard comes with keys that light. Key weights can actually be swapped with each other by slicing sections of the rubber mat into tiles containing a rubber dome, and swapping those tiles with each other. I considered doing that to increase the weight of the "A" and ";" keys from 35g to 45g, but slicing up the guts of a then-$300 keyboard gave me pause, and I hesitated long enough that I turned out to be OK with the default weight. The variable weight model is not what I'd recommend for gaming though!)

One question maybe someone knows something about: I want to get some colored caps to go with this thing. The most easily available thing I see are these on amazon. Anyone know if the Topre keys are generic enough that I can get that set and put it on the 87U I ordered? It looks like the space and enter keys are different sizes.. but if I just want to change the letters / numbers, maybe Ill be ok?
Don't rush, use the keyboard with stock keys first. The keycaps shipping on a Topre are just about the highest quality you can get (which is why the replacement sets cost as much as an entire cheap mechanical keyboard) and feel excellent. I put blank caps on my Filco to make it look good, but I've felt no such need with the Topre stock black keys. In low light they actually look pretty much blank, and in bright light they have a wonderful subtle look.

edit: if you want to give the keyboard an extra touch of style and functionality, get a high quality keyboard roof. I felt stupid paying $30+ for a piece of transparent plastic but it has been worth it. Keeps the dust out so the keyboard stays looking sharp. Filcos actually ship with a $0.1 piece of rattly shaped plastic that effectively does the same thing but looks bad and itself accumulates dust in crevices on top.

Water

does anyone make natural (like split microsoft) versions of mechanical keyboards?

Kinesis, TECK, Ergodox are the main options. Anandtech has done long reviews of these, you should check those out. There is no obvious "best" choice, all of these make different tradeoffs and have a lot of programmability too. Prices start from $200ish.

Fliesen

Stupid question:
Are there even tenkeyless keyboards that have mic / headphone ports? i can't seem to find a single vendor that makes these kinds of keyboards.

i'd love to have a keyboard that has:

• mechanical switches
  • a small footprint on my desk, hence TKL and no wristrest
  • backlight - nothing too fancy, just something to illuminate them black keys
  • USB passthrough for using my DS4 via MicroUSB
  • Headphone passthrough
does no such device exist? mainly because TKL are considered "tournament keyboards", which is why they don't come with headphone jacks because those require an additional pair of audio cords besides the USB cable?

Even if i ignore my wish for audio-passthrough, the USB passthrough is a must and neither the K65 (which i think looks tacky, sorry :/ ), nor the Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition offer USB passthrough.
Neither does the Ducky Shine 3 slim, nor the CM Storm quickfire.

why... :(

Water

Stupid question:
Are there even tenkeyless keyboards that have mic / headphone ports? i can't seem to find a single vendor that makes these kinds of keyboards.
No, nobody makes that. Even USB hubs on compact or tenkeyless mechanical boards are rare. The only brands I remember which offer that are PFU (makers of the Happy Hacking keyboards) and Matias. The Matias boards would probably be closest to your requirements.
does no such device exist? mainly because TKL are considered "tournament keyboards", which is why they don't come with headphone jacks because those require an additional pair of audio cords besides the USB cable?
Not sure why you think they are considered "tournament keyboards". They should be considered standard keyboards, with fullsize boards being the exception. So far I think Apple is the only major computer manufacturer that has figured this out and defaults to offering compact boards with their desktops.

graywords

After a couple of weeks with my WASD Code, i can now name it the best keyboard i've ever used. I got the cherry Green version cus i've always felt the blues a little too lite for my taste and it feels effing perfect. The O-rings take the volume from the keys down so i'm not thinking about it late at night. Oh and a detail i never thought i'd notice but i actually LOVE... the metal board sitting under the keys is painted white and it looks great.

...i'm a very happy typist.

"=0)

I've been considering picking up a Clear board at codekeyboards.com when they come back into stock. Glad to see someone really likes the Greens. Seems like a promising keyboard... has anyone noticed any issues with Codes yet?

nakedeyes

Banned
I was initially disappointed in mine because the outer keys felt too light and I got accidental "A" key presses when I thought I was just resting my fingers on the board. It was so awkward, I retired it in a desktop drawer for months. But when I tried it again, it was the best thing I've ever typed on. (This was with variable weight keys, the same as your model, where the outer keys are only 35g; no other keyboard comes with keys that light. Key weights can actually be swapped with each other by slicing sections of the rubber mat into tiles containing a rubber dome, and swapping those tiles with each other. I considered doing that to increase the weight of the "A" and ";" keys from 35g to 45g, but slicing up the guts of a then-$300 keyboard gave me pause, and I hesitated long enough that I turned out to be OK with the default weight. The variable weight model is not what I'd recommend for gaming though!)

Don't rush, use the keyboard with stock keys first. The keycaps shipping on a Topre are just about the highest quality you can get (which is why the replacement sets cost as much as an entire cheap mechanical keyboard) and feel excellent. I put blank caps on my Filco to make it look good, but I've felt no such need with the Topre stock black keys. In low light they actually look pretty much blank, and in bright light they have a wonderful subtle look.

edit: if you want to give the keyboard an extra touch of style and functionality, get a high quality keyboard roof. I felt stupid paying $30+ for a piece of transparent plastic but it has been worth it. Keeps the dust out so the keyboard stays looking sharp. Filcos actually ship with a $0.1 piece of rattly shaped plastic that effectively does the same thing but looks bad and itself accumulates dust in crevices on top.

I really appreciate the nice, detailed response!!

I have heard some other people with concerns about the "ergonomic weighting" or whatever. I am prepared to have an adjustment period. :) I hope it will click for me.

I'll also follow you recommend and stick with the stock caps for a while :) you are totally right. And after spending nearly 250$ in the keyboard, I probably should hold on to the additional 120$+ until I know I want the caps :)

Carry on key-GAF!

kidko

Hey gang, I'm not very educated about these so I was hoping someone here could help out.

I got a Rosewill RK-9000I a year or so ago and it started having USB problems (unrecognized by windows, a usb device has malfunctioned, etc)

I almost tossed it but after spend $90 and only getting like a year out of it, I'd really like to recoup some of the cost. Would there be any value to a mechanical keyboard enthusiast to buy this off me for parts?

Thanks!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I bought an IBM Model M, but when I press ctrl+esc with the left ctrl, it does nothing. Only with the right ctrl. Same when I'm in Steam. I get the overlay when I press shift+tab with the right shift, but not with the left. Is this a known thing?

Fliesen

Not sure why you think they are considered "tournament keyboards". They should be considered standard keyboards, with fullsize boards being the exception. So far I think Apple is the only major computer manufacturer that has figured this out and defaults to offering compact boards with their desktops.

Razer, as well as Corsair market their TKL as "portable","durable and easy to stow", " easier to pack and go"

also, i do still see value in a numpad for keyboards used for office work. doing calculations or entering EAN barcode numbers with the numrow keys is torture.

the lack of USB hubs on TKL sucks, i might just have to route a USB extension cord myself, then.

Hey gang, I'm not very educated about these so I was hoping someone here could help out.

I got a Rosewill RK-9000I a year or so ago and it started having USB problems (unrecognized by windows, a usb device has malfunctioned, etc)

I almost tossed it but after spend $90 and only getting like a year out of it, I'd really like to recoup some of the cost. Would there be any value to a mechanical keyboard enthusiast to buy this off me for parts?

Thanks!
If that isn't under warranty anymore I'd check the USB cable connection to the keyboard's mainboard. Could have lost a pin or two, or the cable itself is frayed. I highly doubt the mainboard itself has become unusable.

kidko

If that isn't under warranty anymore I'd check the USB cable connection to the keyboard's mainboard. Could have lost a pin or two, or the cable itself is frayed. I highly doubt the mainboard itself has become unusable.

You're right, I should crack it open and take a look

PaulLFC

Mechanical keyboard GAF,

I've never owned a mechanical keyboard before, but given this keyboard I have now (basic Logitech K120) needs replacing, I figure this might be time to get one. I'm thinking of getting the Corsair K70, I'm just not sure which switches to get.

My priority is "as quiet as possible" since I live with others and wouldn't want to be keeping them awake if I'm still up and typing. I watched a comparison video and it seems my choices would be between Red (better for gaming) and Brown (better for typing), would that be right?

I'll mainly be using it for games, but also browsing/forum posts and the odd Word document here and there. Are the Red switches still okay for typing on? The video said while red is better for gaming, browns are better for typing on - but as long as reds would feel comparable or better than the keyboard I'm on now, which isn't mechanical, then I guess they would be my best option.

Finally, and apologies for the long post - does anyone know anywhere in the UK that has mechanical keyboards out to demo? All I can find by way of being able to test the switches is a key tester on Amazon, which I discounted for a couple of reasons - firstly it's £20 delivered for about 5 keys, and secondly it only has one key of each switch colour - so I doubt I could get a proper feel for how typing is anyway if there's only one key.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

nakedeyes

Banned
Mechanical keyboard GAF,

I've never owned a mechanical keyboard before, but given this keyboard I have now (basic Logitech K120) needs replacing, I figure this might be time to get one. I'm thinking of getting the Corsair K70, I'm just not sure which switches to get.

My priority is "as quiet as possible" since I live with others and wouldn't want to be keeping them awake if I'm still up and typing. I watched a comparison video and it seems my choices would be between Red (better for gaming) and Brown (better for typing), would that be right?

I'll mainly be using it for games, but also browsing/forum posts and the odd Word document here and there. Are the Red switches still okay for typing on? The video said while red is better for gaming, browns are better for typing on - but as long as reds would feel comparable or better than the keyboard I'm on now, which isn't mechanical, then I guess they would be my best option.

Finally, and apologies for the long post - does anyone know anywhere in the UK that has mechanical keyboards out to demo? All I can find by way of being able to test the switches is a key tester on Amazon, which I discounted for a couple of reasons - firstly it's £20 delivered for about 5 keys, and secondly it only has one key of each switch colour - so I doubt I could get a proper feel for how typing is anyway if there's only one key.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

Can't help you with all you are asking here but:
* If you want as quiet as possible, you want to get silenced versions of which ever you choose ( or get O-rings and apply them yourself ). The red are a bit louder if I'm not mistaken, but I would guess they are approximately the same once they are both silenced. The browns, unsilenced, might not be super loud depending on your tastes, but if you are trying not to wake someone or something you will prob want to silence whatever you get in the mechanical space.
* If you are using it mostly for games, and you like them more, go with the Reds! I'm sure they are still great to type on. They are probably still better to type on than your Logictech :) I would personally go with the browns, but Im a coder as well. The browns still play games great as well.. I think for games, you really will only have a preference if you are super tempermental/particular about how you depress the keys.
* As far as the test keys, I don't know of any test keys sets you can get that are bigger than the typical 4/5 key ones you see. Maybe someone else knows of one. Your best bet is to find the biggest box PC parts store you can find around there ( Went to a PC World in Birmingham once that wasn't too shab, but that was years ago ) and see if maybe you can find some display units of the Corsair K70.. There are a few best buys out here in the states that might have both the brown and red models out on display, but YMMV obviously.

Best of luck to you! Let us know if you get anything and what you think of it!

PaulLFC

Can't help you with all you are asking here but:
* If you want as quiet as possible, you want to get silenced versions of which ever you choose ( or get O-rings and apply them yourself ). The red are a bit louder if I'm not mistaken, but I would guess they are approximately the same once they are both silenced. The browns, unsilenced, might not be super loud depending on your tastes, but if you are trying not to wake someone or something you will prob want to silence whatever you get in the mechanical space.
* If you are using it mostly for games, and you like them more, go with the Reds! I'm sure they are still great to type on. They are probably still better to type on than your Logictech :) I would personally go with the browns, but Im a coder as well. The browns still play games great as well.. I think for games, you really will only have a preference if you are super tempermental/particular about how you depress the keys.
* As far as the test keys, I don't know of any test keys sets you can get that are bigger than the typical 4/5 key ones you see. Maybe someone else knows of one. Your best bet is to find the biggest box PC parts store you can find around there ( Went to a PC World in Birmingham once that wasn't too shab, but that was years ago ) and see if maybe you can find some display units of the Corsair K70.. There are a few best buys out here in the states that might have both the brown and red models out on display, but YMMV obviously.

Best of luck to you! Let us know if you get anything and what you think of it!
Thanks for the help! I went to look round a couple of computer shops near work today, none of them had any mechanical keyboards though - looks like my options are either pay for the key tester or take a risk on a keyboard and hope I pick the right one!

Reading round a bit more I'm leaning towards brown switches now, I've seen more reports that they're quieter without o-rings as you said (since reds are easier to bottom out), and I do the odd bit of coding every now and then (not too much lately, but maybe in the future!) so that's another plus point.

I'm just not sure what the tactile feedback is like, I assume the reds are more similar to the keyboard I have at the moment since they're linear?

Amazon have the brown switch version of the K70 for £90 which isn't too bad, around £15 cheaper than other sites. I need to see if I can find the manual online and check if the key lighting can be dimmed / turned off - the red is a bit garish for my liking, I was considering waiting for the K70 RGB so I could set a different colour, but I'll see what happens!

tuffy

Got my RealForce 87U today. Holy Shit.. Im in love already!!

Here is a pic of my current setup

Pretty stoked! Now I have motivation to make it through crunch for the game I'm working on! :D
The black one's a good choice. I wound up buying a couple of the regular 87Us and one "silent" version just so I'd have a Topre board at all the machines I use. Not only do the keys feel nice and smooth, but the dye-sublimated PBT keycaps don't wear off or get shiny with regular use so it still looks good years later.

Water

Thanks for the help! I went to look round a couple of computer shops near work today, none of them had any mechanical keyboards though - looks like my options are either pay for the key tester or take a risk on a keyboard and hope I pick the right one!

Reading round a bit more I'm leaning towards brown switches now, I've seen more reports that they're quieter without o-rings as you said (since reds are easier to bottom out), and I do the odd bit of coding every now and then (not too much lately, but maybe in the future!) so that's another plus point.

I'm just not sure what the tactile feedback is like, I assume the reds are more similar to the keyboard I have at the moment since they're linear?
While you have to hit bottom with non-mechanical (scissor key and rubber dome) keyboards for the keystroke to register, their resistance is non-linear so browns should actually feel a bit closer to the boards you are used to. Another reason browns should be more familiar is their activation force, which is lighter than on an average non-mechanical but not quite as light as the reds.

luffeN

Hey guys! I am a professional translator and wanted to know which switches are the best for typing? I currently use a Logitech K340 wireless and would like to know how much of a difference I can expect and if it will help me with the typing? Thanks!

garath

Hey guys! I am a professional translator and wanted to know which switches are the best for typing? I currently use a Logitech K340 wireless and would like to know how much of a difference I can expect and if it will help me with the typing? Thanks!

Blue switches are supposed to be the best for typing. They are among the loudest as well.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've got a question for you guys. I really liked the look of having a white case with plain black keys, anyone got any experience repainting their keyboards?

EDIT: Also something I always wondered; does anyone use a mech keyboard in a work or public environment? I was thinking about treating myself to a second keyboard when I start work next month and seeing as I'm going to be a full time software developer it would make sense to get a new mech for work. I love my CM Storm with reds at home for gaming and typing but I would love one with browns after I tried it at a friend's and loved them. I was just wondering if it would get too annoying, I watched a couple of comparison videos with and without dampener rings and the sound is definitely reduced but I can't help but think it would still be incredibly annoying to everyone else around.

Water

"Best" is very subjective. My personal #1 recommendation is Topre variable weight. Other switches a significant amount of people like for typing are Cherry Brown, Blue, Clear and Unicomp's buckling spring. The linear Cherry switches (Red, Black) are the only ones generally not recommended for typing-first purposes.

I feel a clear difference in amount of hand ache from prolonged typing with laptop keyboards (scissor keys) versus Topre variable weight or Cherry MX Brown keyboards.

PaulLFC

While you have to hit bottom with non-mechanical (scissor key and rubber dome) keyboards for the keystroke to register, their resistance is non-linear so browns should actually feel a bit closer to the boards you are used to. Another reason browns should be more familiar is their activation force, which is lighter than on an average non-mechanical but not quite as light as the reds.
Thanks for the info! Looks like the MX brown switches would be best for me then - Scan have a good deal on the K70 Gunmetal w/ brown switches too, I'm very close to buying it right now actually!

The one thing making me wait though - for anyone who owns a K70, does it include key macros? The press release for the K70 RGB does, but I can't find anything saying the original model has that functionality.

I don't even know how much I'd use it to be honest, it's probably not worth waiting for, but I guess when a keyboard is near £100, seeing a better version out a month or so later is't the best. Depends if I can make myself wait until the end of August for the brown switch version to release.

luffeN

Blue switches are supposed to be the best for typing. They are among the loudest as well.

"Best" is very subjective. My personal #1 recommendation is Topre variable weight. Other switches a significant amount of people like for typing are Cherry Brown, Blue, Clear and Unicomp's buckling spring. The linear Cherry switches (Red, Black) are the only ones generally not recommended for typing-first purposes.

I feel a clear difference in amount of hand ache from prolonged typing with laptop keyboards (scissor keys) versus Topre variable weight or Cherry MX Brown keyboards.

Thanks for the answers. Since I am working in a small office I don't want to bother the others with loud clicking sounds, so blue switches are out I guess. I read that brown switches already activate after 2 mm (having 4 mm all the way down), which is supposed to help with faster typing.

I may have to go for a brown soft clicky version or a brown silent? version if that is available.

Do the overall quality and typing feeling etc. justify the high price compared to non-mechanical keyboards? I am eyeing a Filco Majestouch-2 pro keyboard.

Thanks for the answers. Since I am working in a small office I don't want to bother the others with loud clicking sounds, so blue switches are out I guess. I read that brown switches already activate after 2 mm (having 4 mm all the way down), which is supposed to help with faster typing.

I may have to go for a brown soft clicky version or a brown silent? version if that is available.

Do the overall quality and typing feeling etc. justify the high price compared to non-mechanical keyboards? I am eyeing a Filco Majestouch-2 pro keyboard.

yes

Coreda

My priority is "as quiet as possible". I watched a comparison video and it seems my choices would be between Red (better for gaming) and Brown (better for typing), would that be right?

Reds can be loudish for a lot of people due to 'bottoming out', as they are a light switch with no 'bump' as you press so it's easier to hit the base of the board as you type (rather than only pressing half-way down). A lot of sound demos show people only pressing half-way which is quieter.

However it's possible to reduce the bottoming out sound by adding rubber o-rings to the keys (the Red variety are the better type to use). It only changes the feel of the switch slightly but prevents the keycaps from tapping the base of the board.

By comparison my MacBook's chiclet keys are virtually silent, but using the Reds I experience zero hand strain.

PaulLFC

Reds can be loudish for a lot of people due to 'bottoming out', as they are a light switch with no 'bump' as you press so it's easier to hit the base of the board as you type (rather than only pressing half-way down). A lot of sound demos show people only pressing half-way which is quieter.

However it's possible to reduce the bottoming out sound by adding rubber o-rings to the keys (the Red variety are the better type to use). It only changes the feel of the switch slightly but prevents the keycaps from tapping the base of the board.

By comparison my MacBook's chiclet keys are virtually silent, but using the Reds I experience zero hand strain.
Thanks! I think my best bet is a K70 with brown switches, see what the noise level is like and then get some o-rings if it needs to be a bit quieter. I'll have a couple of weeks to make the decision anyway, as the brown switch version in gunmetal doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere for a couple of weeks at least.

nakedeyes

Banned
The black one's a good choice. I wound up buying a couple of the regular 87Us and one "silent" version just so I'd have a Topre board at all the machines I use. Not only do the keys feel nice and smooth, but the dye-sublimated PBT keycaps don't wear off or get shiny with regular use so it still looks good years later.

Super impressive! I think I might spoil myself with a 2nd one for home after I save up a bit of cash.

Glad to hear that you are loving them and experiencing great longevity with them! :)

mkenyon

Banned
So I picked up one of these:

razer-orbweaver-latest-04.png

I'm still getting the hang of it, especially the d-pad, but I think it might be my accessory of the year. I bought the silent version, which has browns. Not a huge fan of browns, would prefer reds, but it's good so far.

The only mod I had to do was swap the #13 and #15 keycaps. The way they have it out of the box, #13 has the orientation nub on it. However, #13 by default is the S key, so I had an impossible time telling where my hand was. Swapping it with the #15 key put the nub on what would otherwise be the F key.

NIN90

So are there any good non-tacky mechanical keyboards with QWERTZ layout? I got a Qpad MK50 at home but I want something else for work.

NIN90

Get any nice mechanical, switch the z and y keycaps and set OS keyboard to QWERTZ?

It's not just Y and Z. There's tons of other keys that are different and it's not really possible to swap them around (no Ö and Ä, some keys work straight up different on a QWERTZ keyboard, etc.). Believe me, I've tried that already.

Well then, as nakedeyes suggested, you can window shop for a while on WASD if you want cusomized keycaps etc. but German boards shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of.

I personally use a Filco Majectouch 2 Ninja* (browns). Excellent board and is available in German QWERTZ.

*(side printed lettering rather than the top of keys, looks much nicer)

nakedeyes

Banned
Well then, as nakedeyes suggested, you can window shop for a while on WASD if you want cusomized keycaps etc. but German boards shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of.

I personally use a Filco Majectouch 2 Ninja* (browns). Excellent board and is available in German QWERTZ.

*(side printed lettering rather than the top of keys, looks much nicer)

I second this. If they have a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja* (browns) in a German layout, that is an excellent decision!

I am super new to all this myself, so I may not be the best resource.. But I have geeked out a shit load lately and a buddy of mine at work has a WASD and I thought it was pretty good for sure! I have never tried the Filco myself, but the layout is great and it is made of super quality parts so I imagine its pretty great to use!

Exceptional thread. I bought a mechanical keyboard and have never looked back.

q0DrmCn.jpg

Filco Majestouch-2 Ninja Ten-Keyless with Cherry MX Blue switches. It came with a set of front-printed Windows keys as well, but I replaced them with blank ones.

The only complaint I have is that the USB cable is fixed to the board.

NIN90

Yeah, both WASD and Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja sound like great options if a little pricey!

Would blue switches be okay for office use? I got reds on my Qpad MK80 (still think that one's a helluva deal for 90€) put would like some a little more clicky.

aku:jiki

I'm about to make this switch but just to make sure... I can get a Ducky Shine and replace keys with replacements from WASD, right? I'd like a funny esc key of some kind and I want to get rid of the spacebar snake.

Top Bottom