• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally purchased a Mechanical Keyboard....

So, I have been using THIS keyboard for many years now....and while I loved it, alot of the keys have lost the top texture and I thought hmm...maybe now is the time to upgrade and try a mechanical keyboard.

I wanted to get a keyboard that had the same features as the keyboard I had before, but mechanical....(included a few macro keys but not alot, and media control)

I came across THIS and decided to give it a try. Read up on what the different cherry mx switches do, and settled for the Cherry MX brown version instead of the cherry mx speed because if I'm going to go mechanical, I wanted to go more mechanical as possible but without Cherry MX blue clicking. (tho those feel great too)

and wow, I don't think I can go back to membrane for home use ever. I have to use a membrane at work, and it's annoying, but using this keyboard is a PLEASURE. Gaming on it is dreamy as well, even though I am mostly just using WASD, Shift, Space and the occasional E when playing lots of Overwatch.

I should have made the switch sooner. Yea, it's kind of loud but it feels so amazing.

Dio

Banned
I picked up a Logitech G710+ Cherry Brown for 70 bucks refurb off eBay a couple months ago. Similarly, I love it over my old rubber dome keyboards I used to buy.

Feels good, man.

Zackat

the mechanical keyboard thread is a place of wonders

may yer wallet be warned

I want to get a nice one so bad, maybe sometime later this year. too many games coming out lately that I have wanted to play that is throwing off my budget.

Duxxy3

Fucking hell... talk about going all out. Might have suggested something a little cheaper to get you addicted... I mean, to get you a good keyboard.

Fucking hell... talk about going all out. Might have suggested something a little cheaper to get you addicted... I mean, to get you a good keyboard.

alot of the mechanical keyboards didn't have the same features as my old sidewinder which I wanted. This Corsair one seemed to be the samething but Corsair's version and mechanical. So yea....Went all in lol

Renekton

Grats, enjoy! Browns are nice to type on. K95 is a monster.

I'm still eyeing the Logitech G810 or G Pro TKL myself. Logitech has by far the best lighting in the business due to Romer-G not having Cherry's limitation.

Nielm

I've got a Leopold FC750RT with Cherry MX Brown switches, it's great. I also bought a red PBT escape key to give it some color.

Not my picture, but it looks like this:

56565656565yyusd.png

I use to game with an original IBM Model M and it was the best keyboard I owned for gaming. Not even mechanical keyboards match up to how good that thing was.

It was starting to feel to bulky to me though and my gf got annoyed with the sound so I switched to a Razer Blackwidow in 2013 and I'm still using it. It's alright but I still kinda wish I had my Model M at times tho.

Tripon

I got 3 cherry MX browns keyboards. And I just picked up two Blue switches keyboard.

One is a generic Chinese clone with blue switches and another one is a Gateron Blue switch.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I picked up a Logitech G710+ Cherry Brown for 70 bucks refurb off eBay a couple months ago. Similarly, I love it over my old rubber dome keyboards I used to buy.

Feels good, man.

me too man .
but i git it mint and new man .

Osakadon

1482823875606751.jpg

I got this a few months ago. Great keyboard, and it has multiple LED light patterns. The keys feel great, the build quality is solid, and its a compact keyboard. Great price too. I got it for about $55.

86011029-32.gif

86011029-37.gif

Dio

Banned
me too man .
but i git it mint and new man .

I would, but a new G710+ when I was looking online was double the price.

Keyboards, especially mech keyboards, are one of those things I've only had good experiences buying refurbished as opposed to other computer products. When I bought and used it I couldn't even tell it had been refurb.

Tanaka

It feels so wrong typing on a membrane keyboard after having used a mechanical. I can't even tell if I'm hitting the keys half the time.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Good choice, OP. I bought the K95 Platinum a couple weeks ago, and even coming from another brown switch keyboard, it just feels right. Was like the only one that had all the functionality I wanted, and none of the bullshit I didn't.

Cyanity

Banned
Welcome to the club. You can never go back.

edit - I have the RGB version of the Corsair STRAFE. it's great + has a million rgb profiles to download; highly recommended.

gfXvvEE.jpg

iavi

Welcome aboard, OP. I just bought my first mechanical too (Daskeyboard 4 with Cherry MX Blue) and I'm never going back to membrane for desktops for as long as I type.

And Mechanical-Gaf wasn't lying about it being a rabbit hole... I'm already ordering another board, but backlit this time for work.

Velikost

$200 OP? Jesus, you baller. I got a K70 for like 90 bucks and I felt like it was too much.

Mine has Cherry MX Reds, so I feel like I'm not getting the full mechanical experience, but it's definitely a super nice keyboard. Doubt I'd buy anything else in the future if this one ever conks out

FRS1987

I don't know if this counts but I have a Razer Ornata Chroma. It's a Mecha-Membrane fusion supposedly but all I know is that it's SEVERAL times better than my old membrane-only keyboard. It also has a neat feature for games like Overwatch that changes the colors depending on actions/heros.

Base%20Layer%20-%20Hero%20Theme%20Color.gif

tim.mbp

I just splurged on my first one too. I went with the Logitech G Pro. A bit expensive, but I figured it will last me a long time. I was already using the G403 mouse and really liked Logitech's software so I like that the keyboard uses the same. Nice that I only need one application in my tray to program both.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have an MX brown keyboard, but I still prefer my old scissor switch Logitech Illuminated (before they screwed up the key ghosting with the K740). Shame that there's no modern alternative with decent key rollover.

rrs

I don't know if this counts but I have a Razer Ornata Chroma. It's a Mecha-Membrane fusion supposedly but all I know is that it's SEVERAL times better than my old membrane-only keyboard. It also has a neat feature for games like Overwatch that changes the colors depending on actions/heros.

Base%20Layer%20-%20Hero%20Theme%20Color.gif
seems like topre switches on the cheap, might not be half bad

Risette

A Good Citizen
seems like topre switches on the cheap, might not be half bad
It's just a membrane rubber dome with a click leaf to make noise. Not really in the same ballpark as Topre (capacitive spring sensing).

If you want Topre on the cheap check out the Plum87 w/ Topre clone switches.

tsundoku

Backlights on mechanical keyboards are the dumbest misnomer ever, especially "gaming backlights" you get charged like seventy bucks for that make silly patterns.

It is nice to have an input device with confident keystrokes and a couple usb passthrus for the occasional use, tho most keyboards will use some absurdly slow bus for bad power and data transfer.

Also good dodge on getting brown switches which are just as good as any blue or red or RAZERTM switch but just way way way way quieter

Not sure about the metanarrative about budgeting for a mechanical keyboard. I think I bought my Das or whatever like five years ago and i'll probably use it for ten more?

FRS1987

Backlights on mechanical keyboards are the dumbest misnomer ever, especially "gaming backlights" you get charged like seventy bucks for that make silly patterns.

It is nice to have an input device with confident keystrokes and a couple usb passthrus for the occasional use, tho most keyboards will use some absurdly slow bus for bad power and data transfer.

Also good dodge on getting brown switches which are just as good as any blue or red or RAZERTM switch but just way way way way quieter

Not sure about the metanarrative about budgeting for a mechanical keyboard. I think I bought my Das or whatever like five years ago and i'll probably use it for ten more?

I felt the same way until I started using it to game at night. It helps give you lighting when you're trying to play in the dark and can't use a light source to disturb others while sleeping. It's an added bonus that you can usually almost always just disable the lights and not only that but it usually means your keys won't fade with use since they aren't painted on.

I got my first mechanical keyboard 4 years ago and it's still going strong. I have the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013. I just took all the keys off today and cleaned it as well. It's like brand new. While I don't like the green color and stupid snake logo, it was the only keyboard at the time I could test in person. I also don't look down at it often as I know my home keys. No doubt that I can't go back.

Renekton

I just splurged on my first one too. I went with the Logitech G Pro. A bit expensive, but I figured it will last me a long time. I was already using the G403 mouse and really liked Logitech's software so I like that the keyboard uses the same. Nice that I only need one application in my tray to program both.
That is a tight combo. I like how lighting is localized cleanly to the keys instead of the messy color flood of other boards.

I swear by Logitech, I recently picked up the G910 and love it. It has the clicky feel without the obnoxious cherry or blue clicking. Watching twitch channels with that keyboard and others drive me insane.

You mechanical plebs need to step into my buckling spring time machine.
I'm using one of those right now because my Filco took a swim during a flood in my place. Model M's been my ol' reliable for so many years, and I'm sure it's going to outlive me, but its bulk and 2KRO means I can never have it as my mainstay.

I think I'll try a Topre Realforce next. I'm finding the MX Cherry market a bit too saturated with appealing to flashy looks when all I really want is a no frills utilitarian board.

Hypron

Yeah, mechanical keyboards feel so good.

I've been using a Steelseries sg6v2 for a couple of years now:

81VjMfQ2y9L._SL1500_.jpg

It's a good keyboard and I like it, but the black switches are better suited to gaming than for typing, and since I don't really play many FPSs these days I would prefer something more suited to typing.

My previous flatmate had a keyboard with brown switches - I tried it once and really loved it. So I recently bought a New Poker II with brown switches from Massdrop:

bfd495_bf5bd5456a594cb3b9c45ecf53ab7eab~mv2_d_4820_3216_s_4_2.webp

It will only be shipped in May but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also excited about the form factor. Since I learnt how to touch type and properly center my keyboard, I find that my mouse is too far to my right. Removing the arrow and numpad will make it possible to put the mouse in a more comfortable position.

I type in dvorak so I might buy some blank caps, the qwerty stuff distracts me whenever I don't remember where one of the special symbols is.

dh4niel

I bought a Corsair Vengeance K65 keyboard after my Razor Blackwidow died after less than 2 years (which is a pathetic life span for a keyboard) and I love it. So comfortable to type on.

Got a Razer Blackwidow (Blues), Corsair K65 RGB LUX (Reds) and a Logitech G910 Chaos Spectrum (Romer G), plan on getting a brown switch keyboard next. Can't go back, mechanical keyboards are life.

I'm using one of those right now because my Filco took a swim during a flood in my place. Model M's been my ol' reliable for so many years, and I'm sure it's going to outlive me, but its bulk and 2KRO means I can never have it as my mainstay.

I think I'll try a Topre Realforce next. I'm finding the MX Cherry market a bit too saturated with appealing to flashy looks when all I really want is a no frills utilitarian board.

I don't know what 2KRO means but I luv my model M.

Except I wish it had a windows key.

That's a very nice keyboard, OP.

I wanted something that took less space so I recently got the Corsair K65 LUX RGB. My first mechanical. After using it for a few months, I sort of wish I went with a keyboard with MX Browns instead of Reds, for two reasons:

1) I wish I had more of a tactile bump in my key presses for typing.
2) Typing on the sensitive MX Reds at home have caused me to struggle on the keyboards I use elsewhere, since I now feel like they take extra force to press.

Top Bottom