• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally purchased a Mechanical Keyboard....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I bought my first one about a year ago after using a cheap plastic keyboard that cost me £5 (that's including a mouse). Didn't believe anyone that it made a huge difference. Thought people were crazy for spending so much money on a keyboard. One day with a bit of spare money and thinking "alright I'll ride the bus to the next stop" I bought a corsair k65 for £80. It was true...all of it. Such a pleasure to type on. So satisfying. No going back now. Totally worth it. Regret not getting an RGB one. The only negative is how loud they keys are but not a huge deal. Clickity clack.

Makikou

I had a G710+ but had the ABS plastic of the keycaps start breaking on me.. Lots of stuff about that on Logitech forums.

Now I have a Ducky Shine 5 with MX Brown's. Amazing keyboard to type on.

large_1365_Ducky_Shine_5_05.jpg

Cday

Banned
It's appropriate that they're called browns since it feels like there's mud in the keys. Noise reduction comes at a high cost.

darklin0

Banned
I had a G710+ but had the ABS plastic of the keycaps start breaking on me.. Lots of stuff about that on Logitech forums.

Now I have a Ducky Shine 5 with MX Brown's. Amazing keyboard to type on.

large_1365_Ducky_Shine_5_05.jpg

I have a Ducky Shine 4 with Cherry MX Reds. The best keyboards I have ever used.

terrible

Banned
You mechanical plebs need to step into my buckling spring time machine.

UNykaLP.jpg

I threw mine out and it was perfectly functional. I replaced it with a membrane keyboard, this was in 2008 probably. I regret that a bit because even though it was way too big it was still a great keyboard. I didn't end up getting a new mechanical keyboard until last year so 2008-2016 were dark times.

WetWaffle

See, I don't know if I'm just cheap but I can't possibly justify buying a keyboard for $200 to myself. I just bought a standard logitech wired keyboard and shelved it for when I build my PC

Fugu

I have a few Model Ms of both the Unicomp and IBM varieties. They're still the best keyboards I've ever typed on, with the possible exception of the Topre ones I've used.

Seriously, Topre are next level. If I ever find myself with $200 I don't want, that's where it's going.

Good job OP. I'm also using MX Browns, though my keyboard is a simple Rosewill RK9000-V2 (no LEDs but I prefer it that way). Now get some custom keycaps for your keyboard.

darklin0

Banned
See, I don't know if I'm just cheap but I can't possibly justify buying a keyboard for $200 to myself. I just bought a standard logitech wired keyboard and shelved it for when I build my PC

Think of it like a mattress: spending more will net you a better experience, it is not a purchase you make repeatedly, and you will be using it every day.

Risette

A Good Citizen
It's appropriate that they're called browns since it feels like there's mud in the keys. Noise reduction comes at a high cost.
That's just how browns feel. Zealios and clears have brown-level noise but feel much better.

Gateron browns feel much better than Cherry browns too.

Nielm

But they're so loud.

MX Browns aren't that loud.

If you really want silence, I'd recommend the Leopold FC750R I posted earlier. It has a sound dampening mat included, it's barely louder than my old membrane keyboard.

Since theres a lot of talk about corsair's line of keyboards let me ask you owners of the k95 or k70 a question. I own the k65 which is a smaller version of the ones listed above and doesn't have the numberpad keys. The keys also seem to generally be closer together as well which makes typing on it a pain in the ass thanks to how sensitive the red switches are so I'm constantly making typing errors. Are the other versions more spaced out? For gaming its great but when I have to type and especially when I'm typing passwords its a pain.

Justinh

Yeah, I remember how good it felt when I first got mine back in 06 (I'm pretty sure). I still have it! It still works great.

I've more recently gotten a tenkeyless, and man I really like it. Numpads are great when you need them, but I really, really like the extra space on my table, and it's gotten me much better and using the number line finally.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I've been using an Apple keyboard for years and just can't imagine going back to tall keys. Are there any low profile mechanical keyboards?

Risette

A Good Citizen
I've been using an Apple keyboard for years and just can't imagine going back to tall keys. Are there any low profile mechanical keyboards?
Cherry ML switch boards

Not as easily available as MX boards but they exist. Kailh is working on ML clones so there might be more low-profile mech options soon.

tioslash

I didn´t think it would make a big difference, but then I got a Corsair K70 last year and it´s another world for me. Switching to a mechanical keyboard after using membrane ones for almost 25 years was one of the biggest upgrades I´ve ever did on my setup. Probably tied with going from a HDD to SSD.

Blitzhex

I loveee blacks. They feel so good. Reds are sweet and blues are cool too. Absolutely hate browns. I've got a switch tester with all cherry mx, gateron and kalih switches. Gaterons are very nice and feel like lubed cherry mx.

My setup looks like this right now, nkpc wristwrest and varmilo tkl, but my keycaps are white pbt instead.

MD-11749_20151013180309_e3a4181c654e723d.jpg

laxu

Good choice on the MX Browns OP. They are my favorite Cherry switch but I'll take Zealios and Topre over them any day. But that of course requires DIY for Zealios and Topre keyboards are expensive.

The real beaty of mechanical keyboards to me is alternative, smaller layouts. I've been using 60% keyboards for a few years and loving how small they are and how easy accessing keys is just using layers. A huge part of the full size keyboard is something you rarely use, especially for gaming.

This is what I use currently: http://i.imgur.com/TYmjYvt.jpg

Izuna

Banned
You mechanical plebs need to step into my buckling spring time machine.

UNykaLP.jpg

This is what I am looking for with my new PC.

Mechanical feels off to me, I prefer my basic af Microsoft kb for now

Edit: Brehs spending more on a keyboard than an Elite controller

TheContact

Yea my first mech keyboard (not counting the old IBM ones) was a steel series cherry mx red. Now I use the Logitech Orion g810. It's the best keyboard I've ever owned.

laxu

At least wiki says it is mechanical, but yeah it is top tier.

It's spring under a rubber membrane. Very high quality and feels infinitely better than any cheap membrane keyboard. They are expensive and are not compatible with Cherry MX keycaps. The stock keycaps are high quality though but if you want interesting colors you need to replace the sliders with MX compatible ones.

You make it sound outlandish that one would possibly spend more on something that they use daily and is a major facet of how they interact with a PC including games, versus something that is only used for games and even at that isn't the best at the job for a number of them.

Makareu

This is what I am looking for with my new PC.

Mechanical feels off to me, I prefer my basic af Microsoft kb for now

Spending more on a controller than a keyboard is the weird thing to me.

jacobeid

Banned

I ended up buying a Rosewill mechanical keyboard on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $60. There are deals to be had, for sure, especially if you're just looking for a no frills keyboard. The most I've spent on a keyboard is $120.

I ended up buying one for work too because I hate typing on anything else now.

Tripon

I ended up buying a Rosewill mechanical keyboard on Amazon Warehouse Deals for $60. There are deals to be had, for sure, especially if you're just looking for a no frills keyboard. The most I've spent on a keyboard is $120.

I ended up buying one for work too because I hate typing on anything else now.

Browns for work, Blues at home. That seems like the best compromise. I've been trying to get new key boards in either Gateron or Otemu switches. They're in the $60-80 range new, which seems like a sweet spot for me.

I did get Rosewill's new RK-9300 BR edition for $70 on a sale that newegg seemed to have randomly.

rrs

if I'm getting cherries, I'm getting one with greens or clear switches to be similar to my model M but that means few choices and $$$

well, at first I scoffed at the price...then I considered the fact that I would probably be using this for years, and I do alot on my PC....so it's a worthwhile investment at the end of the day.

Since theres a lot of talk about corsair's line of keyboards let me ask you owners of the k95 or k70 a question. I own the k65 which is a smaller version of the ones listed above and doesn't have the numberpad keys. The keys also seem to generally be closer together as well which makes typing on it a pain in the ass thanks to how sensitive the red switches are so I'm constantly making typing errors. Are the other versions more spaced out? For gaming its great but when I have to type and especially when I'm typing passwords its a pain.

eh, spacing seems like any other keyboard. Maybe I can't notice the subtle difference in spacing

tesqui

I got a Rosewill plain black cherry red last Christmas and love it! It may not have the click of the other switches, but it's way nicer than the shitty membrane keyboards I have used for decades.

bachikarn

I think the Cherry patent ran out recently, so you can get some pretty cheap mechanical keyboards now. I picked these two up for home and office. Both were sub $40. I wanted to try it out before investing a lot of money.

I'm not exactly sure how they compare to the $150+ ones, but I'm liking them a lot.

Ecto311

I got a ducky shine 2 years ago. 10key less because my desk is kinda small. I like it but the travel could be less. I like the clicking but man I type a lot faster on a laptop keyboard. I wish they did MX blue switches with travel at half distance or something like that.

I have a Corsair K70 RGB with Cherry Reds that I got last year. Love it to bits but I've been looking at those Ducky keyboards and I think I want one.

Pleb here: Razer Black Widow Chroma *Kanye shrug*. Idk who they use to make them but I really like Razer Green switches. They're pretty much Cherry MX Blue.

I love mechboards and will never go back to membrane. My favourite brand is definitely Ducky, but they're kinda hard to find here so I'm currently using a Razer Chroma. My previous board was this weird thing called Ozone Strike Battle, a TKL board with brown switches. I'd never heard of it before, but it felt fucking amazing. I was really bummed out when it died. :(

Tekniqs

anyone interested in a Leopold FC750r mx brown, white side printed caps? New in box...trying to sell my extra KB

Top Bottom