• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperkin has created a... Super Nintendo-themed mechanical keyboard?

Cody_D165

Banned
http://hyperkinlab.com/hyper-clack-tactile-mechanical-keyboard-for-pc-hyperkin/

61nerGQUJkL._SL1000_.jpg

51qbTr1pnRL._SL1000_.jpg

51gVSCyG-FL._SL1000_.jpg
Feel every letter, every step taken, and every macro pressed. The Hyperkin Hyper Clack Tactile Mechanical Keyboard features "clicky" Gaote Blue switches, perfect for comfortable precision gaming or hours spent writing the next Great American Novel. The "classic gaming" color scheme and retro-style case put you directly behind 104 keys of typing bliss.

Features:

• Iconic retro-style color scheme

• Gaote Blue tactile switches

• Customizable with Cherry MX-compatible keycaps (not included)

• PC compatible via USB

Seeing a few articles pop up about this thing today... not entirely sure why a product like this exists but I have to admit... it's rather pretty looking.

sugarless

Oh, that Super Nintendo. Not for me, although it would be funny if they followed the American SNES concave/convex scheme.

emb

I see a lot of customized layouts that do this theme. That's cool to see this kind of thing built out for purchase, makes it that much easier for those that'd want it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not only does this look fucking ugly, the LED bar visible from the bottom shot isn't historically accurate; mass produced miniaturized consumer-ready colour LEDs came after the SNES was released. Typical "I'm A Gamer" garbage made for people whose identity is hung up in their purchases.

Ugly.

The retro trend has gone too far, way before this. I'm sick of seeing retro games. Love playing them, but I don't need any more kitschy items themed after the super nintendo or nintendo. If it doesn't play games I don't care.

Madame M

Banned
Without the packaging it reminds me nothing of an SNES IMO and someone would probably have to point it out to me....

ugly

tesqui

Are there any mechanical keyboards out there that have a 90's off white look to them? Similar to this but less SNES colors.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Interesting idea, but the color usage should ideally be proportional to usage in the original system to be properly evocative. This thing's soaked in purple, where it was just a light flourish on the system itself. Those light grey keys don't really sync with any of the greys in the system's color scheme, either.

Orayn

Are there any mechanical keyboards out there that have a 90's off white look to them? Similar to this but less SNES colors.

You could do that yourself by getting one of many gray/off-white keycap sets that are available, like these, then stick them on any Cherry MX compatible mechanical keyboard. Completing the look with a white/off-white case might be a little harder, but there are options out there.

You could go for a heavy, old-fashioned buckling spring and get a Unicomp, which are 99% identical to the old IBM Model M.

You could also go for a switch that's not technically mechanical but still really nice and get a Topre board in a white colorway.

dhonk

You could do that yourself by getting one of many gray/off-white keycap sets that are available, like these, then stick them on any Cherry MX compatible mechanical keyboard. Completing the look with a white/off-white case might be a little harder, but there are options out there.

You could go for a heavy, old-fashioned buckling spring and get a Unicomp, which are 99% identical to the old IBM Model M.

You could also go for a switch that's not technically mechanical but still really nice and get a Topre board in a white colorway.

N5kGiPR.jpg

My topre with custom Pexon cable. I gotta stop buying keyboard shit.

tesqui

Huh, that Unicomp one seems pretty great. Thanks for the info!

Orayn

Huh, that Unicomp one seems pretty great. Thanks for the info!

Bear in mind that it's a fairly loud switch that needs a lot of pressure to actuate, but Unicomp boards are a great choice. They're pretty much 1:1 reproductions of old IBM boards since the patents expired, with a few modern features added depending on the model.

Top Bottom