• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

Piano

Banned
Numpad is a yes, no preference on switch type.

Unfortunately I don't know as much about full models since I've always preferred minis (or, currently, best of both worlds with a Quickfire TK).

If you're new to the world of mechanical keyboards I'd recommend a Cherry MX Brown switch - it's a nice middle spot between the clickiness of the Blues and the linear light touch of the Reds. Definitely the best feeling switch in my book.

I'm not sure what's best under $100, though. I've had a good experience with the non-numpad version of this keyboard if you don't mind the aesthetic.

Ryne

Has Corsair's software gotten any better? Finally have the ability to get the K70 however all the reviews I've read mentioned the crappy software.

Dex815

Has Corsair's software gotten any better? Finally have the ability to get the K70 however all the reviews I've read mentioned the crappy software.

No, the software is still hot shit. But if you use Linux use this non-official driver:

https://github.com/ccMSC/ckb

The driver works fine and the configuration for the colors and animations has a really neat UI, much better than the horror from the official software in Windows.

Shy

hi.
sorry for the dumb question, but have i have tried googling this myself but had no luck, cause i'm really shit at searching for stuff.

could someone who has the corsair K70 RGB tell how long the cable is please.
because of my setup it's important to know, and i'd rather not know use an extension lead.

thanks for your time.

If you're getting the non-RGB K70, you won't be missing out on much by not installing the driver. I've been avoiding it entirely and it's worked out just fine. With the RGB, the driver will be much more necessary if you want to do any customization, which is unfortunate.

I've been mulling a purchase of the K70 RGB reds for a while now.

Are there any differences between the Vengeance and Gaming versions other than the logo?

Dinjoralo

The OP was very informative and helpful for me. I don't have a mechanical keyboard, but I'm replacing the buttons in my fightstick with ones that use cherry MX keyboard switches. Learning about the greens helped me find a place to buy the switches I want for less. Thanks!

Ryne

If you're getting the non-RGB K70, you won't be missing out on much by not installing the driver. I've been avoiding it entirely and it's worked out just fine. With the RGB, the driver will be much more necessary if you want to do any customization, which is unfortunate.

Yeah, I was planning on getting the RGB, so the news of terrible drivers have been a bit disconcerting.

Unfortunately I don't know as much about full models since I've always preferred minis (or, currently, best of both worlds with a Quickfire TK).

If you're new to the world of mechanical keyboards I'd recommend a Cherry MX Brown switch - it's a nice middle spot between the clickiness of the Blues and the linear light touch of the Reds. Definitely the best feeling switch in my book.

I'm not sure what's best under $100, though. I've had a good experience with the non-numpad version of this keyboard if you don't mind the aesthetic.

I was actually considering this one! Thanks for all your advice, I'm pretty new to all of this mechanical keyboard stuff so any help is appreciated :)

I was looking at the Razer Black Widow Ultimate, but I've heard mixed things about them and it's slightly out of my price range.

Chabbles

My Corsair K60 is busted, spilled water(diluted orange juice) on it lastnight, took it apart, dried it out, now its screwed.. its registering multiple key strokes on certain keys... so i need something new.... (any advice on repair services ?)

So looks like im in the market for something new. Can i get some recommendations for an MX Blue mechanical keyboard ?, budget around 150euro. cheers.

Edit,
nvm, dried it out properly and its working fine again.

Looking to get my first mechanical keyboard. I've tried a few in stores and I liked the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite with clicky razer greens and the Corsair K70 with reds. However I think the click, while cool at first, might drive me insane, so I'm leaning towards the K70 with red switches.

Is this the best board in that price range? (low 100s). Also if there is something equally as good for cheaper, I'm open to that.

I think I will like cherry mx reds the best because I play a lot of FPS, but I've also read that getting brown switches for your first mechanical is a good idea, since its a middle ground between blue and red. I have not had the chance to try out browns. Honestly I love the feel and click of the razer greens (blue knockoffs), but my wife informed me that she would murder me if I had a keyboard that sounded like that. Newegg has a K70 with brown switches as well, so basically its brown or red.

Any help would be appreciated, big time noob with mechanical keyboards.

thoughts on this keyboard? FPS and MMO gamer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IG3GPTS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I tried it in store. Its very clicky and feels really great. Depends if the noise is going to bother you, as I could see it being very loud when typing.

It also has only a green backlight, if that matters.

I don't own it so thats all I've got for you. I know most who do love it, but others say you can get something better for mechanical.

Anyone here use a 60% with a tablet, preferably a surface pro? I'm thinking about getting a Surface Pro 4 once it comes out and using it with either a Poker II or a V60 mini. I'm leaning towards a Poker II right now simply because of the PBT keycaps and the programmable layer, but I'm not sure if I'll need the semi-dedicated arrow keys that the v60 has to use it with a Surface.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Do you guys reckon that the "Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth" or" Logitech G710+" is silent enough for me to use in the middle of night without disturbing anyone? Which good mechanical keyboards have less of a clickety clack to them?

My dog completely ruined the cord for my old keyboard (typing now with virtual keyboard).

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
God, I need this.

tumblr_ndigylVn111qbrbjzo1_1280.jpg

So CM Storm Quickfire TK w Brown switches seem to be out of stock everywhere. Anyone know of a similar design? 10 key less but still w numpad? Don't give a shit about backlight or anything fancy.

finalflame

God, I need this.

I have that, but in big brother form. Ducky x NZXT Shine 3 2014 Special Edition with those exact keycaps (edit: maybe my keycaps are a bit more vivid, of that image is washed out) :) It's da bomb, but currently sits in its box to preserve its limited edition awesomeness.

I have the whole set, but in this configuration I just did part of the keyboard and left the surrounding ones as stock keycaps. I really want that TKL white one though, does anyone know what it is?

Ryne

Alright, talked myself out of the K70 RGB because of the software.

Any suggestions for me?

I'd prefer Blue lighting, however it is not essential.
Brown switches if possible.
Number pad not essential.

finalflame

Any suggestions for me?

I think the Ducky Shine 3 is a super solid keyboard, and it comes in a multitude of configurations. Various different backlighting color options, switch options, w/ numpad or TKL.

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Shine_3_DK9008.html

Find the model you want and a quick google search should return a number of websites selling them.

Ryne

I think the Ducky Shine 3 is a super solid keyboard, and it comes in a multitude of configurations. Various different backlighting color options, switch options, w/ numpad or TKL.

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/Shine_3_DK9008.html

Find the model you want and a quick google search should return a number of websites selling them.

Thanks for the information. I already looked at Ducky, it's not the easiest KB to find with the settings I want (being in Canada makes it harder). The shine 3 is pretty much non-existent.

Any suggestions for me?

Same here, along with the price actually. Being my first mechanical I just can't seem to justify $130 USD (for the non-RGB) in my head for a keyboard.

I need a cheaper starter board. Would love to go for a CM Quickfire TK, but they are out of stock everywhere, even on Cooler Master's website.

Is there anything wrong with going for a Razer Tournament keyboard? I understand they are knock off switches, but at ~$65 for blue (green) or brown (orange), it would be much easier to justify, and then invest in a really good board down the line sometime.

Never owned a Razer product, I just used to think the brand was ridiculous, but they are really popular now so who knows.

finalflame

Same here, along with the price actually. Being my first mechanical I just can't seem to justify $130 USD (for the non-RGB) in my head for a keyboard.

I need a cheaper starter board. Would love to go for a CM Quickfire TK, but they are out of stock everywhere, even on Cooler Master's website.

Is there anything wrong with going for a Razer Tournament keyboard? I understand they are knock off switches, but at ~$65 for blue (green) or brown (orange), it would be much easier to justify, and then invest in a really good board down the line sometime.

Never owned a Razer product, I just used to think the brand was ridiculous, but they are really popular now so who knows.

Razer makes trash, gaudy, and low-quality peripherals. The use of Kalih switches is absolutely reason enough to not go with them. Cherry has been making switches since 1980, some crappy chinese knockoff doesn't just come along and match the quality and finesse of switches that have been in production for over 30 years. I'd look for something cheaper but with Cherry MX switches.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/Mechanical-keyboard.html

There's also a good subreddit for used mechanicals:
http://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket

And an entire section on GeekHack:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=59.0

Plenty of affordably priced keyboards out there. Please don't cave and get a crappy Razer keyboard with Kalih switches, you'll regret it.

_hekk05

Banned
I was sure I had seen rosewill keyboards with no backlight for 60-80 bucks depending on the switch. Can't find them now, though I'm on mobile.

I got a rosewill helios with browns for 85 bucks. Its got dual red/green leds but no onboard mem to store your settings.

Gets the job done plus it was cheap. A good starter keyboard if I say so myself.

Razer makes trash, gaudy, and low-quality peripherals. The use of Kalih switches is absolutely reason enough to not go with them. Cherry has been making switches since 1980, some crappy chinese knockoff doesn't just come along and match the quality and finesse of switches that have been in production for over 30 years. I'd look for something cheaper but with Cherry MX switches.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/Mechanical-keyboard.html

There's also a good subreddit for used mechanicals:
http://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket

And an entire section on GeekHack:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?board=59.0

Plenty of affordably priced keyboards out there. Please don't cave and get a crappy Razer keyboard with Kalih switches, you'll regret it.

Alright, I'll hold out for a Cooler Master quickfire board. I see them being recommended a lot as a good starter board. They are just literally sold out everywhere. I found one Quickfire Rapid with Brown switches on Newegg for ~$90, but the rest are sold out.

I like the layout of the Quickfire TK model, and its backlit for the same price, so I'll just hold out for one of those.

Thanks.

How is the Logitech G710+?

Cherry Mx Brown keys, o-rings, media controls including scroll wheel, white backlighting. And its a decent price at $112 USD right now.

Any reason I shouldn't get this one for my first mechanical?

Schrade

How is the Logitech G710+?

Cherry Mx Brown keys, o-rings, media controls including scroll wheel, white backlighting. And its a decent price at $112 USD right now.

Any reason I shouldn't get this one for my first mechanical?

Do not.. do NOT get it

Whatever you guys do, do NOT buy the Logitech G710+.

The posts on the back side of the keys that you slot into the switches have bad plastic that after repeated use will split and crack. I need to check and see if I am still within the 1 year warranty period on mine so I can get some repleacements but damn... what a pain in the ass.

Also, the other thing I don't like about this keyboard is the macro keys are alongside the left edge of the keyboard and too close to the normal keys themselves. They should be a bit more separated as I use the edge where the normal keys are to reposition my left hand to the proper spot without having to look at the keys.

Other than that I like the responsiveness and clickyness of the switches used in it and I also like the LED lighting. It's configurable enough for me with different lighting levels and choosing which zones to light up.

There are people all over the place with the same problem. Check Amazon reviews, hell, check the Logitech forums. It's a fucking dud all because they used some cheap as shit plastic on their keys.

Do not.. do NOT get it

There are people all over the place with the same problem. Check Amazon reviews, hell, check the Logitech forums. It's a fucking dud all because they used some cheap as shit plastic on their keys.

Ugh, I already ordered it last night! Tried to cancel on Amazon even though it says "shipping soon" and the cancellation failed. I guess I could return it without opening it.

I saw a few reports of keycaps breaking here and there, there seem to be issues with every board (like the LED issue with the K70). I just checked the Logitech forums, and you were right...pretty awful the amount of people with multiple broken keycaps.

I guess I will order a K70 instead, just would have rather stuck with Logitech as all my PC peripherals are from them, and I already have the software installed.

Update: Picked up a K70 in a local store. This keyboard is incredible. Going to return the G710 when it arrives tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Bought a Corsair K70 RGB last week. This is the first time I have used a mechanical keyboard outside of trying them out at Fry's or a Best Buy. Really like the feel of it. I went for the red switches and so far so good.

Only gripe I have with it is obviously the software. Not so easy to use when you want to do more than just different colors. All the effects will take some learning and it's not at all user friendly.

Also I'm not sure if this is a defect or what but if I turn the entire keyboard to white I can see the red, green, and yellow LED lights shine on the sides of keys. It's easy to see on certain parts of the keyboard than others. Not sure if I should RMA or return it for another.

wilflare

any suggestions on how I should clean my mechanical keyboard? it's a Filco and I have removed all the keys.

should I clean the individual switches?

Derpcrawler

Got myself Corsair K65 today to replace my old BlackWidow with Cherry MX Blue switches, would go with Razer again if they would still have Cherry switches. Overall keyboard feels better quality, with better detachable cable and lock mechanism for said cable, because after 2 years of using my BlackWidow detachable cable become buggy where keyboard would lose connection sometimes even from slight bump. MX Red's are a bit different so I will have to get used to them.

What I don't like is that letters are printed on keys, rather than laser-etched. I would expect better from keyboard that is pretty much 20% more expensive than Razer BlackWidow.

zTiDDOE.jpg

gblues

Banned
Has anyone made an ergonomic mechanical that doesn't look like ass yet? I'm currently typing on a MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and I love the layout, but not the switches.

Already considered and discarded:

- The Kinesis Advantage: expensive, ugly, and too minimalist (I got code to write, ain't nobody got time for playing where's-my-special-character every five minutes)
- Kinesis Freestyle: Way too goddamn big.
- Truly Ergonomic: putting CTRL where the TAB key is supposed to be is a dealbreaker, also suffers from the special-character shuffle problem.

Still adjusting to the reds in my k70. They are definitely awesome for gaming, very fast and smooth. My movement in bf4 feels faster.

Typing is difficult so far. Reds aren't as huge a departure from rubber dome as other switches, blues felt incredible in store but I know it would be too loud for me and my wife. Would have went with browns if I could have found a k70 with them.

I'm already thinking about another cheap board to have a tactile switch, either blue or brown. This is bad, I can see how people start accumulating boards haha.

Anybody got a recommended keyboard for cheap? Someone spilled kool aid on my keyboard being dumb and now I'm using a flat Logitech keyboard in the meantime.

I have no experience with mechanical keyboards but now's the time to get one I suppose.

Anybody got a recommended keyboard for cheap? Someone spilled kool aid on my keyboard being dumb and now I'm using a flat Logitech keyboard in the meantime.

I have no experience with mechanical keyboards but now's the time to get one I suppose.

Newegg currently has the Razer Blackwidow Tournament for ~$60, that's the cheapest I know of. Thats for if you are really just going for the cheapest option, some people love Razer boards and others hate them, so read up on reviews.

The cheapest board with genuine cherry mx keys is probably the Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid, but I couldn't seem to find any in stock when I was looking.

Orayn

If you're okay with a tenkeyless, you can get this one from Noppoo for $50 after enough people commit.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/noppoo-lolita-spyder-87

I'd recommend paying the extra $3 for brown (tactile, non-clicky) or blue (tactile clicky) switches, you might find black/red a little weird.

Has anyone made an ergonomic mechanical that doesn't look like ass yet? I'm currently typing on a MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 and I love the layout, but not the switches.

Already considered and discarded:

- The Kinesis Advantage: expensive, ugly, and too minimalist (I got code to write, ain't nobody got time for playing where's-my-special-character every five minutes)
- Kinesis Freestyle: Way too goddamn big.
- Truly Ergonomic: putting CTRL where the TAB key is supposed to be is a dealbreaker, also suffers from the special-character shuffle problem.

ErgoDox - not currently buyable on Massdrop, but a set is listed on Ebay for $280

There's the uTRON and the Maltron, but they are expensive as shit ($500 minimum). There's also the Axios keyboard to keep an eye out, but it has yet to make it out of dev stage.

Thanks for some recommendations, I see a couple on Amazon that look interesting to try too, I'll have to see which would be affordable for me and has good reviews.

Top Bottom