• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

metalshade

I realise that maybe I am a numpty, but I need some help!
I am having real trouble finding a wireless 10keyless or 60% mechanical keyboard anywhere.
Any suggestions guys?
I currently use a wired KBTPure, but the mini usb connection is starting to fail, so I need to change, and wireless would really help out.
Alternatively, I guess I could go membrane, but I really don't want to.

Orayn

I am having real trouble finding a wireless 10keyless or 60% mechanical keyboard anywhere.
Any suggestions guys?
I currently use a wired KBTPure, but the mini usb connection is starting to fail, so I need to change, and wireless would really help out.

If you don't mind waiting a while, Massdrop is currently having a round of voting on various wireless mechanicals, some of which are 60% size.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/wireless-mechanical-keyboard?s=wireless mechanical

Come on Amazon! I can feel those Blues already.

Zc5hvGu.jpg

Shiina

Any opinions on the Poker 2?

Any suggestions guys?

Filco MINILA? I think there are also wireless NOPPOs.

Husker86

Got a Logitech G710+ about two weeks ago.

I am really liking it. It is my first mechanical keyboard and I can definitely see what the hype is all about.

Definitely louder than my Logitech G510s, but I kinda like that.

I miss the 18 G-keys I had with the 510, but I'll get over it.

The only thing that is legitimately annoying is that the backlight doesn't light up the alternate characters on keys.

Mr.Mike

So I just noticed that the caps lock light on my Ducky Zero isn't working. Not really a big deal, but I'm worried it might be indicative that other issues might occur down the road (although it's probably just the bulb that's died), so I'm gonna try to send it in anyway. I guess I'll be back on rubber domes for a little while, which is a terrible shame. I've grown to really like my keyboard.

Also, is there anywhere in Canada where you can order a switch tester? I'd like to give some of the other switches a try but I don't think there's anywhere in my town where I could do so.

EDIT: Oh goodness, it's shipping to BC. It might be a while.

Man, I've got a huge hardon for greens lately. I'm using blues at the moment, and wouldn't mind something that takes a bit more force to activate.

But I've not found any place to really get keyboards with them. The QuickFire I keep looking at is sold out everywhere. Is there a place to get just greens and do the replacement myself? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Mr.Mike

Man, I've got a huge hardon for greens lately. I'm using blues at the moment, and wouldn't mind something that takes a bit more force to activate.

But I've not found any place to really get keyboards with them. The QuickFire I keep looking at is sold out everywhere. Is there a place to get just greens and do the replacement myself? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts.html

You could also just order a keyboard with greens from WASD as well. I don't know if that's the cheapest place to get the switches though.

This link might be of use to you. http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/wiki/switch_suppliers

Qblivion

Should I give up all hope of getting a ducky shine 3 at a not massively inflated price?

If I don't find a decent keyboard for under $200 that isn't LEET GAMERZ razer shit soon I am going back to $20 rubber domes.

maeh2k

Got to use a Das Keyboard with browns for a couple of hours today. Liked the switched more than I thought I would. Nice keyboard. The only issue I had with it is, that the space bar is too far right because of the function key on the left. That makes is really uncomfortable to hit the right Alt key while typing. I use the key quite a bit for typing a number of special characters.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Should I give up all hope of getting a ducky shine 3 at a not massively inflated price?

If I don't find a decent keyboard for under $200 that isn't LEET GAMERZ razer shit soon I am going back to $20 rubber domes.

Das Keyboard 4
I've had it for a few months now and it's very nice.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

What's wrong with Razers?

wilflare

still waiting for my replacement keycaps to arrive before I can start using my Filco Browns again...

using a Dell membrane keyboard for now :(

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Recently acquired a Rosewill Apollo with MX Browns for $50 new. I forgot how nice it is to have the tactile feedback when typing.

So now I'll start replacing my membrane keyboards with mechanical.

Got a g710+ on Black friday from Amazon for $90+tax, really loving this keyboard. I initially wanted to get a K70 but this deal was too good to pass...

Schrade

Got a g710+ on Black friday from Amazon for $90+tax, really loving this keyboard. I initially wanted to get a K70 but this deal was too good to pass...

Be prepared to have your control/alt keys break.

The posts on them crack due to cheap plastic.

I no longer use the keyboard because all of mine a broken and it's out of warranty.

(Plus the hotkeys on the left hand side are in a really bad place and it messes up my homing positions for my hands)

Husker86

I no longer use the keyboard because all of mine a broken and it's out of warranty.

(Plus the hotkeys on the left hand side are in a really bad place and it messes up my homing positions for my hands)

I was going to say that after my previous Logitech keyboards and the 710+, I could never own one without the hotkeys. Mapped things like Save, Cut/Copy/Paste/Undo, etc. to them and I've really come to like them.

I am slightly worried about the post breaking issue, though. Hopefully it happens before the warranty is up. I could probably return to Amazon now, but I'm really liking the keyboard.

I will admit, I'm fucking jealous of some people who can get TKL keyboards. Since I'm left handed with my mouse, I use my arrow keys for everything and the buttons on the keypad for games.

Damn, had no idea, and yeah I have noticed that the control and alt keys dont feel as good as the rest of the keyboard :/

Wanted to join the mechanical keyboard band waggon and ordered a Roccat Ryos MK Pro... Got it last week and I love the keys (brown switches) but DAMN, the keyboard had a malfunction where the internal memory for storing settings etc is broken. Asked Roccat what to do. They said, send it back to where you got it and get a new one. Done exactly this and got a new one today. Broken as well. Same error. oh man! Now I'm waiting for the price of the k70 to go down a bit ;)

Shiina

Got a Poker II a couple days ago. Took a bit to get used to the function layer stuff (especially the arrow keys) but it's actually pretty nice now. Switching capslock with fn helped immensely.

Such a surprise that this thread just popped up since I JUST set up my new Quickfire Rapid.

Now all I want to do is type. Not used to having to use such little force, I'm nearly slamming on this thing.

3DShovel

I just received a Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate with Brown switches for Christmas. Pretty content thus far. Feels really great to type on. Haven't had the opportunity to game with it yet, though.

fishbang

I just got a mechanical for the first time over the holidays. I priced them and window-shopped and studied this thread (as well as others) for ages, and finally decided on a CM Storm Quickfire TK (white backlight, brown switches). It was a great price (85 USD at Amazon) and met most of my demands, so I figured it would be a decent first entry into mechanicals. I have a few nits to pick about the layout, but I'm getting used to it, and I'm already finding reasons and excuses to type beyond what I'd normally do before. Now I really need a mechanical at my place of employment, and I think I'll be glad to pay for it on my own.

Now I'm waiting for the price of the k70 to go down a bit ;)
jumped on it anyway and received it today. Damn the keyboard is great. It feels great, the aluminium is great and the colors are nice. I just don't have a clue how the software works. I definitly need some time to try this and make some profiles, etc. Right now I only use a fixed color set.

Shiina

After two days with Topre switches I've come to this conclusion:
They feel a lot more satisfying to press than all other Cherry switches I've tried (black, blue, brown), but...
...they feel worse to type on. I'm notably slower on them than on the Cherry switches that I normally use (browns) due to the fact that you can't really not bottom out Topres.

I'd love to try out a HHKB2 since I've really grown to like 60% keyboards but I don't think there are any vendors that carry them in Europe.

Shiina

So guys, I'm tryin to decide between these:

I'm pretty sure I want Browns or Clears. tenkeyless is fine as long as I have the arrow keys and the group of keys that usually sit above them. Any advice or suggestions between these?

Either of the KUL keyboards or the CM one when it's back in stock and available for not more than $100. The others are either huge (DAS), don't have a standard layout (Corsair) for caps or you'll be paying more for the LEDs on them than for the keyboard itself (WASD).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I'm currently on a Filco magestouch tenkeyless black and yellow brown keys. I've also had a Ducky Shine 2 with white keys/blue lights and blue switches that I gave to a friend. I also have an IBM Model M but there is something wrong with it internally that I haven't even tried to fix for years. But that keyboard has been the best out of all of them.

The keyboard i've been lusting after is a Ducky Shine 2 tenkeyless black on black, blue lighting, brown keys, and english/chinese characters on the keys. They don't make them anymore so I can't find them.

Either of the KUL keyboards or the CM one when it's back in stock and available for not more than $100. The others are either huge (DAS), don't have a standard layout (Corsair) for caps or you'll be paying more for the LEDs on them than for the keyboard itself (WASD).

roger that. ty sir!

Top Bottom