• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lez talk mechanical keyboards

"(Or if you go the ortholinear / ergonomic road, using a numpad layer really isn't bad)"

Precisely what I've done on my Let's Split layout that I'm building now. I love numpad for number entry and I'm far quicker on it than using the number row on keyboards. It's a rather trivial task to have that setup on an ortholinear board while still maintaining a small footprint.

Been using a membrane keyboard since for ever. Got a cheap Auckey mechanical board off Amazon, and I gotta say, this feels pretty damn good. Really smooth typing on it, seems great for games so far too.

I really don't know much/anything about mechanical boards, but I paid £17 for it and it uses blue outemu switches, which I've heard aren't the best but they#re one of the better cheap switch types.

Zackat

Just got my Anne keyboard in, it's amazing how much more space I have on my desk now. My old keyboard was simply monstrous. Is there a guide for all the functions of this thing somewhere? I found out how to turn the backlight on but that's about it.

edit: figured all of it out. Man I really like this keyboard.

Not the Messiah

Neo Member
Count me as a convert. I've always been sceptical of mechanical keyboards (from IBM Model M memes etc) but I needed a new one and decided to spend a bit more money than I otherwise would. Wanted dedicated media keys and volume control and simple design, and got a Logitech G610 with Brown switches for not a lot of money. Simple design, feels amazing. I've been missing out all these years!

Tripon

Any thoughts on this keyboard: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-2016-gaming-keyboard/4814900.p?skuId=4814900

It's the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2016. It would be my first mechanical keyboard. For $65, I'm tempted to jump on it. I don't care for the lights/RGB stuff. Just need decent quality.

Price seems okay. You'd want to do some research on if it's Razer Green switches (Clicky and Tactile, like Cherry MX Blues) or Razer Orange switches (non-clicky and non tactile, like Cherry MX Reds).

$65 for backlighting and decent switches (Razer uses Greentech, which is a MX Cherry clone, and I heard are either an independent company or just Kailh switches under a rebrand) seems about right.

Price seems okay. You'd want to do some research on if it's Razer Green switches (Clicky and Tactile, like Cherry MX Blues) or Razer Orange switches (non-clicky and non tactile, like Cherry MX Reds).

$65 for backlighting and decent switches (Razer uses Greentech, which is a MX Cherry clone, and I heard are either an independent company or just Kailh switches under a rebrand) seems about right.

Based on Razer's own website, they're Green switches.

-SG

Finally got my Pok3r with Clears. Coming from Blues, I think I found my new favourite switch. Plus, I'm really digging the 60%.

fpOCsnr.jpg

Let's Split finished. My first foray both into split keyboards and ortholinear, but it's taken surprisingly little time to adjust. My accuracy is only a little bit worse, speed is about 95% there. The biggest hang up is getting used to some modifier combinations like ctrl+c and getting used to the new layers I've setup differently from my 65%. Not shown, but I've got two 2.5" boxes that I'm using for tenting that are working pretty well.

forrest

formerly nacire
Alright mech keyboard GAF. I'm looking for suggestions for a mechanical keyboard for a first timer.

I would prefer a tkl layout, but could probably be swayed to an other form factor.

RGB, or illuminated keys of some sort would be a plus.

Aesthetically, I really like the silver G413 by logitech and also the Mionix Wei. I've experienced a memory leak with Logitech Gaming software since getting my G510 keyboard years ago, so as much as I like the g413, I'd probably prefer to stay away from all logitech if possible.

Also, some of the brands like Ducky, etc. I'm really ignorant to, so it doesn't have to be a bigger named "gaming" brand. It just needs to be a good product, and hopefully pleasing to my eyes!

Price isn't a deal breaker, but cheaper is always better.

Thanks!

ghibli99

Grabbed a Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent with Best Buy's sale (and took advantage of being in Oregon, so no tax)... definitely liking this much better than my Corsair K70 Lux w/ MX Browns. Will have to do a side-by-side comparison later, but typing on it felt great, and I definitely appreciate the smooth, quiet travel. Heavier than the reds on my old CM Storm, but I'm totally cool with that since I would press keys on accident all the time on that one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
fpOCsnr.jpg

Let's Split finished. My first foray both into split keyboards and ortholinear, but it's taken surprisingly little time to adjust. My accuracy is only a little bit worse, speed is about 95% there. The biggest hang up is getting used to some modifier combinations like ctrl+c and getting used to the new layers I've setup differently from my 65%. Not shown, but I've got two 2.5" boxes that I'm using for tenting that are working pretty well.
Very nice! I really like ortholinear. But have never tried split before.

Aerocrane

Alright mech keyboard GAF. I'm looking for suggestions for a mechanical keyboard for a first timer.

I would prefer a tkl layout, but could probably be swayed to an other form factor.

Aesthetically, I really like the silver G413 by logitech and also the Mionix Wei. I've experienced a memory leak with Logitech Gaming software since getting my G510 keyboard years ago, so as much as I like the g413, I'd probably prefer to stay away from all logitech if possible.

Also, some of the brands like Ducky, etc. I'm really ignorant to, so it doesn't have to be a bigger named "gaming" brand. It just needs to be a good product, and hopefully pleasing to my eyes!

Thanks!

First go to a electronics retailer and try typing on some mechanical keyboards they have on display so you can figure out which switch you like. I'd say that your best bet for an RGB tenkeyless would be a Ducky One TKL RGB.

Qvoth

am using logitech g413 carbon, my 1st mechanical keyboard
got it for less than usd 60 after exchanging the currency rate, i couldn't believe their price when i googled the keyboard so i immediately bought 2 haha, 1 for my brother

forrest

formerly nacire
First go to a electronics retailer and try typing on some mechanical keyboards they have on display so you can figure out which switch you like. I'd say that your best bet for an RGB tenkeyless would be a Ducky One TKL RGB.

Thanks for the response! I definitely need to actually try some key types. Based on my research and various video demos of the switch types, I think Cherry Reds, Browns, or Speed variants could fit my preference.

longdi

Banned
Hey guys! How is corsair K70 MX speed switches?

I like that it uses aluminium body that is also easy to clean.

Are mech keys more or less the same in build quality?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Have wanted a HHKB for a very long time - but they're just so damn pricey. I'm not too picky on my mechanical switches; I typically use Mx Reds - it's what I have on the Ducky I'm using now.

If I don't want to spend $200+ on a HHKB, is the Vortex Pok3r a decent alternative at $129/shipped?

It's not the same layout - but it has a lot that I like about the HHKB - tiny footprint, removed function row, little "bezel," hyper clean aesthetics.

Or should I just splurge on the HH?

large_1240_whitepok3r.jpg

ISVS4.jpg

Tripon

Have wanted a HHKB for a very long time - but they're just so damn pricey. I'm not too picky on my mechanical switches; I typically use Mx Reds - it's what I have on the Ducky I'm using now.

If I don't want to spend $200+ on a HHKB, is the Vortex Pok3r a decent alternative at $129/shipped?

It's not the same layout - but it has a lot that I like about the HHKB - tiny footprint, removed function row, little "bezel," hyper clean aesthetics.

ISVS4.jpg

Happy Hackers uses Topre switches while the Pok3r's are Cherry MX switches. I got a New Poker II, which is a revised version of the Poker II, with the main difference is that it has a detachable USB-C cable instead of a micro USB that that the Pok3r and RGB Pok3r currently has.

I use my New Poker II as a travel keyboard, and it works out great. Never have an issue, and it looks like the Pok3r is a little smaller, than that.

-SG

ISVS4.jpg

I absolutely love my Pok3r with Clears. Love the footprint, feel, and design. The stabilizers rattle a bit which I hear that is a common complaint, but other than that, I have no issues with it.

Aerocrane

You could get a HHKB layout keyboard with MX switches from KBDfans:
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/keyboard/products/hhkb-layout-mechanical-keyboard-60

Silvard

What's the best wireless mechanical keyboard out there?

I have a couple of Leopolds with Blues and Browns, but for my new desk setup I'd like to go with a wireless keyboard to make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Backlight isn't necessary if only because I know it's going to kill battery life.

Aerocrane

What's the best wireless mechanical keyboard out there?

I have a couple of Leopolds with Blues and Browns, but for my new desk setup I'd like to go with a wireless keyboard to make it as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Backlight isn't necessary if only because I know it's going to kill battery life.

Filco has their Majestouch Convertible 2 line available in both full size and TKL forms. If you want something smaller than that, there's also the Rapoo KX and Anne Pro.

MoogleMan

Thanks!

Ikbc F series.
I have the full size version and it's the best mech keyboard out of several I've owned, including ducky.

Browns are great, all around switches. Blues would be my second favorites. I don't like reds at all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYV47MV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

MoogleMan

What's the better intro to Mechanical Keyboards:

A. The Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2016
B. Corsair Strafe

Razer has horrible quality control; I'd avoid them.
I used the strafe rgb for a while; it's decent but the stabilized keys rattle badly and the keycaps are horrible. They show shining literally within hours of use.

I like the cooler master masterkeys series, but their keycaps aren't the greatest either, and there's a chance their stabilized keys will rattle too.

The ikbc I mentioned earlier has none of these issues.

MoogleMan

IKBC seem like much better value than most.

They definitely are IMHO.

$130 gets you a mechanical keybaord with rock solid construction, mx switches doubleshot PBT keycaps and no software to muck with (though some people like the customization software provides). And stabilized keys that don't rattle. It baffles me as to how most manufacturer's can't get that one right.

I've used: WASD Code, maxkeyboard blackbird, ducky one, keycool tkl, strafe rgb and the ikbc f108. The ikbc is the best out of all of them.

If you want a mechanical keyboard with no RGB LEDs, no extra hotkeys, just a basic ass keyboard, check out the Rosewill RK-9000V2. I have the Cherry Brown and I like it. The stock keycaps are fine, but I ended up upgrading to TaiHao Miamis since I love the color scheme.

Cherry Brown: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201083&cm_re=rk9000-_-23-201-083-_-Product
Cherry Red: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201085&cm_re=rk9000-_-23-201-085-_-Product
Cherry Blue: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201082&cm_re=rk9000-_-23-201-082-_-Product

All of those are under $90 right now.
There are also models with RGB LEDs, but if you're going for that, other brands might be better.

longdi

Banned
They definitely are IMHO.

$130 gets you a mechanical keybaord with rock solid construction, mx switches doubleshot PBT keycaps and no software to muck with (though some people like the customization software provides). And stabilized keys that don't rattle. It baffles me as to how most manufacturer's can't get that one right.

I've used: WASD Code, maxkeyboard blackbird, ducky one, keycool tkl, strafe rgb and the ikbc f108. The ikbc is the best out of all of them.

What does rattle means here? The keys become wobbly on contact?

MoogleMan

What does rattle means here? The keys become wobbly on contact?

On keys that use stabilizers like spacebar, enter and shift keys, if it has bad/poor stabilizers the key will "rattle" when typing on it. It sounds sort of like the chainlink fence sound effect you hear in movies and stuff. It also feels different; like the keys aren't as "solid" as regular keys. And yeah, in bad cases (strafe rgb spacebar) there's noticeable wobble in the keys themselves.

Key rattle is a dealbreaker for me. That's why I'm so pleased with ikbc; it has everything I want in a mechanical keyboard. I use one with brown switches now, but will be adding another with blue switches shortly.

Tripon

Why do you recommend them over the Razer and Corsair?

From your page, I really like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ITE93VA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cooler Masters are basically rebranded Filco's while Corsair and Razer are their own brand which either use their own switches or non standard bottom row making switching out keycaps a pain.

Razer has horrible quality control; I'd avoid them.
I used the strafe rgb for a while; it's decent but the stabilized keys rattle badly and the keycaps are horrible. They show shining literally within hours of use.

I like the cooler master masterkeys series, but their keycaps aren't the greatest either, and there's a chance their stabilized keys will rattle too.

The ikbc I mentioned earlier has none of these issues.

I love ikbc/Vortex, but they don't sell new entry/somewhat budget keyboards like the other known companies do. Even their C series, that is full plastic with no back lighting start around $100. I wouldn't recommend them unless a person is willing to pay for the quality. If they are, by all means, but if their budget is under a $100, there it doesn't really make sense.

leng jai

Cooler Masters are basically rebranded Filco's while Corsair and Razer are their own brand which either use their own switches or non standard bottom row making switching out keycaps a pain.

I love ikbc/Vortex, but they don't sell new entry/somewhat budget keyboards like the other known companies do. Even their C series, that is full plastic with no back lighting start around $100. I wouldn't recommend them unless a person is willing to pay for the quality. If they are, by all means, but if their budget is under a $100, there it doesn't really make sense.

Aren't the Poker boards sub $100?

The USB connector on my MF87 is rubbish though, after 2 weeks it's always loose.

Tripon

Aren't the Poker boards sub $100?

The USB connector on my MF87 is rubbish though, after 2 weeks it's always loose.
I don't know if I would consider any 60% forma entry level just because of how nice the form factor is.

New Poker II start off at $110 and pok3rs are around $130 without back lighting.

MoogleMan

That really sucks, but it makes sense with it being a micro usb connector. That's a bad choice for something like a keyboard. If it's out of warranty I'd look into soldering a nice braided (or plain if you prefer those) cable on in its place. Not too difficult IIRC.

I almost spluged on one of the mf aluminum bodies, but the micro usb cable connection is a deal breaker for me.

Tripon

That really sucks, but it makes sense with it being a micro usb connector. That's a bad choice for something like a keyboard. If it's out of warranty I'd look into soldering a nice braided (or plain if you prefer those) cable on in its place. Not too difficult IIRC.

I almost spluged on one of the mf aluminum bodies, but the micro usb cable connection is a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from buying a full size ikbc keyboard. Once they use usb-C as their detachable cable, I'm in.

MoogleMan

Yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from buying a full size ikbc keyboard. Once they use usb-C as their detachable cable, I'm in.

Only their aluminum bodied and pokr models use a detachable cord; the full size f108 plastic body and their tkl plastic body boards have attached cables.

Tripon

Only their aluminum bodied and pokr models use a detachable cord; the full size f108 plastic body and their tkl plastic body boards have attached cables.

Yeah, I'm also at the point where I have a bunch of mechanical keyboards being stored, so I can be choosy with my next purchase.

My next purchase will likely be something in that price range of $150-200 with all the features I would want in such a purchase, detachable USB-C, RGB back lighting, metal body, PBT keycaps, etc.

Septimius

So, I'm an IT consultant, and I've started a new project. The keyboards they have at hand simply don't cut it. The ones that might be usable are so dirty I don't want to touch them. I've decided I need a proper keyboard, and my company says they want to support us with any aid we need to be productive. My boss said he expects me to get the keyboard that has most value for my requirements. I require Cherry MX Brown switches. I hope they are quiet enough for my coworkers. If it isn't, I'll just return it. I had the Das Keyboard Professional before, and I love that keyboard.

If someone has a suggestion on a better value keyboard, I'm all ears. It can be TKL, but that wouldn't be my go-to. I'd like a professional type keyboard. No LEDs, few or no extra keys like media control. Since I'm in a office landscape, it's important that it's quiet, but hopefully not so important that I can't have the Brown switches. If someone has any experience on some keyboards being louder than others, I'd love to hear about it!

Top Bottom