• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBT protest at Stonewall Inn takes on edge amid possible blow to gay rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia Kimbrough planned to go to the Stonewall Inn in New York twice this weekend.

The first time was Friday night for a casual drink with her girlfriend as it is, after all, a bar.

The second will be on Saturday afternoon when this reliably-shabby little watering hole transforms into its other role as a US national monument, the most famous landmark for the gay rights movement in the world and a rallying point for what could be as many as 20,000 demonstrators protesting against the policies of Donald Trump.

The stated goal of the event outside the Stonewall Inn on Saturday afternoon is to be a solidarity rally for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) community to stand with immigrants, refugees and asylum seekers outraged by the president's executive order banning refugees and travelers from certain Muslim-majority countries from entering the US.

But the protest is likely to gain a new edge and several thousand extra participants from the emergence into the public domain this week of a leaked draft of an executive order revealing what would be a sweeping federal authorization of discrimination against gays in the name of religious freedom.

While the White House has declined to say when and whether it would sign such an order, the document's very existence within the administration's inner circle has rattled many in the community.

”We are going to go there and fight about this, I've been trying to block out what Trump's been doing because it's so depressing, but they are trying to legalize discrimination and that really makes me sad and angry, there has been so much bad news when he has been in office for such a short time," said Kimbrough, a 26-year-old New York-based clothing designer and assistant for an app company that provides services to entrepreneurs.

It has been organized by a loose coalition of pro-immigration, refugee support and pro-gay groups. There has been talk on social media of smaller events provisionally taking place in Los Angeles, Boston and Chicago, but New York's is so far billed as the leading event.

New York City council member Corey Johnson, whose district includes the neighborhoods of the West Village and Chelsea, is a key organizer and told the Guardian that he was shocked by the wording of the leaked draft of the executive order.

”He may not have come out yet and said he wants to persecute gay people but Trump has appointed senior people and cabinet members who are anti-gay and his collusion with the religious right is the equivalent of making a pact with the professional anti-gay forces," Johnson said.

He added that if the draft order were to be signed by the president it would be ”disastrous".

The document seeks to create wholesale exemptions for people and organizations claiming religious or moral objections to same-sex marriage, premarital sex, abortion, and transgender identity, and it aims to curtail women's access to contraception and abortion through the Affordable Care Act, according to a version leaked to the Nation.

Gregory Angelo, president of the Log Cabin Republicans, a national Republican organization representing gay conservatives, praised Trump for continuing Obama's anti-discrimination order and mocked Saturday's protest event as a knee-jerk reaction from the left to a draft order that has yet show any sign of becoming an order.

”Donald Trump is the first Republican president to affirmatively mention the LGBT community. He's attended a same-sex wedding, praised Elton John's wedding, welcomed gay members to his Mar-a-Lago club when many minority groups were being denied admission to other prestigious private membership clubs in Florida, and his foundation has donated to LGBT and HIV/Aids causes – it's historic for a GOP president," he said.

Angelo said, however, that should the leaked draft order end up being signed by Trump: ”We will certainly speak out against that."
Source

And here I was, thinking there will not be any protest this weekend.

Take away my rights thread creation ability if old.
Actually don't demote me to a junior member :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gregory Angelo, president of the Log Cabin Republicans, a national Republican organization representing gay conservatives, praised Trump for continuing Obama’s anti-discrimination order and mocked Saturday’s protest event as a knee-jerk reaction from the left to a draft order that has yet show any sign of becoming an order.
How deluded can y--

Oh well this is just par for the course I guess.

UberTag

Even if Trump hasn't signed it, the simple fact that Bannon and Miller would even dare to draft such an order in the first place merits both outcry and protest.

Matty77

"Fuck you I got mine" comes in all shapes and sizes
Yup. The gay white rich guys figure they will not have to deal with the fallout. Same ones that don't care about other gay issues or trans stuff and pretty much dropped out of sight the minute they got gay marriage.

Slayven

The simply fact they had something drafted to fuck with you should have you worried. They got a bullet with your name on it, and just waiting to pull the trigger

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-lgbt-order-234617

Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump helped lead the charge to scuttle a draft executive order that would have overturned Obama-era enforcements of LGBT rights in the workplace, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation told POLITICO.

A draft executive order on LGBT rights that outlines how to roll back former President Barack Obama’s protections and expand legal exemptions based on religious beliefs has been circulating among journalists and worried progressive groups this week.

But two sources close to Kushner and Ivanka Trump, who have a record of supporting gay rights, said the couple favored putting out a clear statement from the president, promising to uphold the 2014 Obama executive order and stopping the momentum for the turnaround in its tracks.

This is a shit show. Our civil liberties should not be ping pong balls.

It shouldn't be sad for people. It should be angering. It should be "Grab a stick and march and wave anyone who gets in your way away with the stick" angering.

Sticks of the boom variety preferable.

Our history, and the history of rights in this country, is paved with what Theodore Roosevelt claimed, "talk softly and carry a big stick." The Civil Rights era needed both Malcolm X and MLK Jr. The campaign for representation and work equality and a change in how women were primarily viewed in the 60s and 70s needed both protesters and protesters who burned feminine products and accoutrements

When the chips are down and rights are on the line, holding a sign alone is not enough. Marching is not enough. They must be made to fear the ire of the people -- and when it's not the people you voted for, they'll never fear your ire because they think you'll never all vote, anyway.

keenerz

So far all the groups that the GOP dislikes that support trump keep saying the "well he couldn't/can't possibly do that". So far he has done everything he's set out to do and in alignment with the GOP. Many could see it a mile away and now that its actually happening how much farther till they actually see the damn light.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/ivanka-trump-jared-kushner-lgbt-order-234617

This is a shit show. Our civil liberties should not be ping pong balls.

From the same article:

White House officials downplayed the turnaround, suggesting that the draft LGBT executive order would never have reached the president's desk for his signature. They described it as one of about 200 executive orders that were contemplated during the transition — some by outside groups, others by transition officials — and that it was never intended to be signed, even without pushback from Kushner, Ivanka Trump or anyone else.

”Some are real, some are drafts of things people like, and some are ideas people from outside have suggested," a White House official told POLITICO, describing the executive orders that have been written.

So someone at some point suggested it and Trump said "no"

Gregory Angelo and his cohorts are delusional. The fact the draft bill exists at all is enough for religious extremists to assume their bigotry is acceptable (it doesn't take much!) What an embarrassment.

BigDug13

I want Ivanka to be in the White House since we are stuck with these shitbirds for four years. At least she has some semblance of decency at times and we know she has Donald's ear (among other things).

Log Cabin republicans just make me feel such immense shame.

They are so ridiculously out of touch and lost that they wouldn't know which way was up if you gave them a map to it. It's comprised almost entirely of wealthy, upper class white gay men who have the means and methods to avoid the systemic and vitriolic discrimination that pervades our community. Theirs is a special brand of self hatred.

It's so sad that my community has these types of idiots running around, but it's really not surprising. All the gay republicans I know of are rich and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom