• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51 House Republicans push for religious liberty executive order

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

Religious liberty than i guess polygamy is legal now, i mean muslims shouldn't have their religious freedom infringed
Not saying that is a great thing and a lot muslims have one spouse, just an example

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
These people are not Christian's, Jesus would of railed against them like he did the Pharisees. If groups like Isis and Taliban are not true Muslims then you have to approach ridiculous Christians the same way instead of grouping us all together. I suppose ill be asked to apologize for these appostees actions like Muslims are asked to apologize for their extremists.

I rail against this shit republican type Christianity in my day to day life all the time so don't acuse me of doing nothing to stop these idiots. I do what I can do and when I see shit that goes against Jesus's teachings I point it out. If any party should be the party of Christians it should be the democratic party as its values are far more in line with Christian teachings than anything republicans stand for.

I however prefer that religion has no party. Politics is what is corrupting religion just like it corrupts everything else. Religion is a personal choice and should not be forced on people just like anti abortion laws should not be forced on women. There is not one path to whatever is after death and I don't think you have to be a Christian to get there. Religion is a construct created by people so we don't know which religion is right or if any are. You don't have to believe in a religion to believe there may be something beyond explanation out there.

What gets me specifically is the willful disregard that the entire New Testament is setting up a new way of doing things. The whole "theocracy" thing was tried and it failed miserably with Israel. A huge point of the New Testament was that the Jewish authorities can't handle the job.

So in Christianity, the rules are now supposed to apply to believers in the local church - not at a government level. There's nothing that indicates that rules for a local congregation should be applied to everyone via government because why would you expect a non-believer to try and live a sinless life? Of course a few hundred years later Christianity became politicized and here we are.

Valhelm

contribute something
Nope. Religious Freedom was never intended to protect the vulnerable. The First Amendment already provides for the freedom of religion.

This is just another example of coded language intended to further oppress minorities, POC and the LGBQT community. And we've known that. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone on this board.

The first amendment is what I was referring to.

Ogodei

You're congress, if you want to pass something horrible, pass a law so we know who actually supports it and can take them to task for it. Don't run to papa Trump.

Religious liberty than i guess polygamy is legal now, i mean muslims shouldn't have their religious freedom infringed
Not saying that is a great thing and a lot muslims have one spouse, just an example

Don't know if you are American or not but, there are already tons of Mormon polygamist communities in America and also small towns that are controlled by religious cults. Even though they are doing heinous shit, the government leaves them alone because they don't want another Waco.

caliph95

Don't know if you are American or not but, there are already tons of Mormon polygamist communities in America and also small towns that are controlled by religious cults. Even though they are doing heinous shit, the government leaves them alone because they don't want another Waco.
I thought it was illegal or do only leave those communities alone to avoid trouble that it will cause

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

I'm not sure how much they're left alone but they definitely get involved when they start marrying off minors to old men.

SeanC

I'm very curious about the wording of it too. Like, are they going to specify "Christian" only? Because otherwise Sharia Law amirite?

Edit: Oh, I see, this is that Federal Employee bullshit from a month or so ago. He never signed that?

Good on him if that's the case, fuck these assholes wanting it.

I thought it was illegal or do only leave those communities alone to avoid trouble that it will cause

Yes they have guns and wouldn't take to kindly to the fed coming in and arresting people.

I'm not sure how much they're left alone but they definitely get involved when they start marrying off minors to old men.

They do sometimes sure. When they can. There are little towns where the whole local government is a part of it and they will drive people out of town that aren't a member. So information doesn't get out.

caliph95

Yes they have guns and wouldn't take to kindly to the fed coming in and arresting people.

They do sometimes sure. When they can. There are little towns where the whole local government is a part of it and they will drive people out of town that aren't a member. So information doesn't get out.
Good to know that is interesting

Reeks

What about my religious liberty as an occultist Lucuferian? We believe in equality for LGBTQA, for women, for black people, for brown people, for all, not the superiority of Abrahamic religious fuckers.

These people are not Christian's, Jesus would of railed against them like he did the Pharisees. If groups like Isis and Taliban are not true Muslims then you have to approach ridiculous Christians the same way instead of grouping us all together. I suppose ill be asked to apologize for these appostees actions like Muslims are asked to apologize for their extremists.

I rail against this shit republican type Christianity in my day to day life all the time so don't acuse me of doing nothing to stop these idiots. I do what I can do and when I see shit that goes against Jesus's teachings I point it out. If any party should be the party of Christians it should be the democratic party as its values are far more in line with Christian teachings than anything republicans stand for.

I however prefer that religion has no party. Politics is what is corrupting religion just like it corrupts everything else. Religion is a personal choice and should not be forced on people just like anti abortion laws should not be forced on women. There is not one path to whatever is after death and I don't think you have to be a Christian to get there. Religion is a construct created by people so we don't know which religion is right or if any are. You don't have to believe in a religion to believe there may be something beyond explanation out there.

They are the face of Christianity in America. I mean, sorry, but it's really true. And, honestly, even the 'good' Christians aren't totally innocent in their rise.

The ACLU has already said that they'll fight this on Twitter. I doubt the EO will live for more than a few days. The biggest problem will be when people use this as an excuse for hate crimes.

It's easy when you understand that Christianity in America has almost wholesale being taken over by the radicals. Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Rod Parsley, and the rest of those fascists are the face and driving force of Christianity in this country, and they are determined to do whatever they can to take over.

Wrong. The biggest issue with religion in America is that an oversized plurality of our citizens are evangelical protestants.

Protestantism has always been a force for evil in America, it was never co-opted. The most hateful and regressive Republicans today are near universally evangelical protestants, The Know Nothings were a protestant movement, the KKK was a Protestant movement. It's nothing new.

I thought it meant fuck you, got mine?

Evangelical Protestantism is descendant from Calvinism, which believed that wealth and success was a sign of favor from god, and vice versa. So the worship of the rich and disdain for the poor by Evangelical Protestants in America is deeply connected to their religion.

Wrong. The biggest issue with religion in America is that an oversized plurality of our citizens are evangelical protestants.

Protestantism has always been a force for evil in America, it was never co-opted. The most hateful and regressive Republicans today are near universally evangelical protestants, The Know Nothings were a protestant movement, the KKK was a Protestant movement. It's nothing new.

Evangelical Protestantism is descendant from Calvinism, which believed that wealth and success was a sign of favor from god, and vice versa. So the worship of the rich and disdain for the poor by Evangelical Protestants in America is deeply connected to their religion.

This is wrong, at least partially. You can say they were always a force for evil, but as far as political means go, the Christian Right that's heavily active in politics as we know it is fairly new. Before them, while you can argue all you want for the social evils, Christians were generally discouraged from politics from within. Samantha Bee did a great two part special on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom