• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I like the Catch 22 of gay characters.

1. If you think a character is gay and they do not say "I'm gay" or have it stated in the source material, then you're reaching and trying to see gay subtext where there is none. Kanji isn't gay. It never says anywhere. The creators even said he wasn't, so all that subtext was just you reading too much into it!

2. If a character is said to be gay, well why do they even need to state that? Seems weird to me tbh. It has no relevance to the plot. Seems shoehorned into the game.

3. If a character (god forbid) does something gay on screen, well that's offensive. But not because being gay is bad. I'm progressive after all. No, it is wrong because its stereotypical behavior. They're making the gay a horndog. That's wrong.

Another character that can fit into the first point is
Ellie from The Last of Us.
So many on Gaming side were trying to pretend her kiss with [redacted] was completely not indicative at all of her sexuality. The DLC was even released on Valentine's Day ffs.

DOWN

Banned
So many on Gaming side were trying to pretend her kiss with [redacted] was completely not indicative at all of her sexuality. The DLC was even released on Valentine's Day ffs.
"It was just a friend kiss. She didn't say she was gay and kids experiment."

Heaps of people say they didn't pick up on
Bill
either from that game.

Kinsei

Banned

I've seen people try and say the kiss between
Max and Chloe in Life is Strange
is just showing how close they are as friends. How can someone look at this and say the characters in question don't have feelings for each other? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9Jvs9vuIU

Stuff like that really makes me angry.

Veeboy

I have nothing against Scootaloo. I have everything against those clothes however.

For what purpose? Like, how does this detract at all from someones experience enough that they feel the need to immediately rebuke the idea of a character being possibly gay? I mean there was so much subtext leading up to that moment there is no way you can convince yourself of any alternative.

is just showing how close they are as friends. How can someone look at this and say the characters in question don't have feelings for each other? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q9Jvs9vuIU

Shit. I shouldn't have clicked this. This is what I get for taking such long breaks inbetween sessions of that game. At least now I know my ship is (potentially) confirmed.

"It was just a friend kiss. She didn't say she was gay and kids experiment."
Not to be an asshole, especially to uber-cutie DOWN, but kids do experiment. I made out/touched with most of my guy friends when I was kid, and none of them, at least to my knowledge, are actually gay.

A lot of those sorts of posters also loathe the fact that Ellie is underaged. There's a clear (and sort of gross) motive for wanting to deny her sexuality there.

Veeboy

Not to be an asshole, especially to uber-cutie DOWN, but kids do experiment. I made out/touched with most of my guy friends when I was kid, and none of them, at least to my knowledge, are actually gay.

I think what DOWN is trying to say is that for the most part the people using that excuse are trying to diminish the impact of that scene. No one is denying that kids experiment, but to immediately dismiss this intentionally written scenario as something that is just a passing phase for a character rather than considering the possibility that the character they grew to love was written as a lesbian is so freaking annoying.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm just using stereotypes, but it's weird how quickly I identify some people as gay. Sat down on the bus next to a guy who read "gay" to me from the second I saw his face. Then it was body language, voice, and the music I can hear leaking from his earbuds. And it's not like he's embodying any of the fashion stereotypes or whatnot, but I still read it as gay. But, I mean, it's also a bus leaving SF, so it's not that crazy of an idea.

EDIT: To be clear, he might not be gay. Could be straight or anything else. I just find it interesting how my brain really quickly sorted him that way.

Maybe I'm just using stereotypes, but it's weird how quickly I identify some people as gay. Sat down on the bus next to a guy who read "gay" to me from the second I saw his face. Then it was body language, voice, and the music I can hear leaking from his earbuds. And it's not like he's embodying any of the fashion stereotypes or whatnot, but I still read it as gay. But, I mean, it's also a bus leaving SF, so it's not that crazy of an idea.
These are the guys I'm not attracted to.

My gaydar sucks I think. I get too many false positives because I hope that every guy I'm remotely attracted to is bi or gay.

VegiHam

IKR. Still salty I couln't date Kanji or hate-fuck Yosuke (who wanted to ride MC's dick more than Rise did).

That's what the fan made spinoff gay dating sim is for bro! If it helps it's like the most common fanfic pairing for the game, so you are not the only one who thought that. Honestly kinda expecting, at the very least, a super homoerotic hinted-but-not-technically-gay-all-but-confirmed-but-we-can't-say-it social link in 5, if not a full on gay one.

Also, was hanging out with my friends tonight and a straight guy was all "so, uh, if you're OK with answering and it's cool if you aren't, are you a top or a bottom?" and I was like "I'm a top" and he was like "what? I didn't expect that! You look like a bottom?"

So, GayGAF, ignoring how weirdly au fait with the lingo this straight lad is, am I allowed to be a top if I'm short? Or must I consign myself to bottomhood?

That's what the fan made spinoff gay dating sim is for bro! If it helps it's like the most common fanfic pairing for the game, so you are not the only one who thought that. Honestly kinda expecting, at the very least, a super homoerotic hinted-but-not-technically-gay-all-but-confirmed-but-we-can't-say-it social link in 5, if not a full on gay one.

Also, was hanging out with my friends tonight and a straight guy was all "so, uh, if you're OK with answering and it's cool if you aren't, are you a top or a bottom?" and I was like "I'm a top" and he was like "what? I didn't expect that! You look like a bottom?"

So, GayGAF, ignoring how weirdly au fait with the lingo this straight lad is, am I allowed to be a top if I'm short? Or must I consign myself to bottomhood?

Back when I was a young teenager I pretty much thought I had to be a bottom because I'm short and my cock isn't massive.

Which sucked because I hated (and still don't really enjoy) anal stimulation.

Golnei

Personally I like the Catch 22 of gay characters.

1. If you think a character is gay and they do not say "I'm gay" or have it stated in the source material, then you're reaching and trying to see gay subtext where there is none. Kanji isn't gay. It never says anywhere. The creators even said he wasn't, so all that subtext was just you reading too much into it!

In a lot of cases, it is projection on the audience's part if they read a character as anything but straight, though that's probably encouraged by the general desire to feel represented in some way in media which they're largely excluded from and aren't considered by and a lot of portrayals of actual gay characters mainly trading on subtext. Deliberate queerbaiting doesn't help much, either - despite having slightly more LGBT content in current media, in the mainstream it's still outweighed by fence-sitting subtext which actively appeals to those readings, but takes pains to never make it into text so as to not alienate the targeted majority.

My gaydar sucks I think. I get too many false positives because I hope that every guy I'm remotely attracted to is bi or gay.

This is depressingly accurate.

tumblr_nvroz3aZ4g1u33k7do1_500.png

I'm not sure how much gaydar is actually a thing. I think it's often just noticing mutual interest (which isn't detecting gayness, just mutual interest).

VegiHam

Back when I was a young teenager I pretty much thought I had to be a bottom because I'm short and my cock isn't massive.

Which sucked because I hated (and still don't really enjoy) anal stimulation.

Well until tonight I just assumed I was fine. I guess the lesson here is don't listen to straight guys :p

Also, just read that whole Fire Emblem thread and wow; it's a good thing I wasn't online earlier or I'd be banned now.

Well until tonight I just assumed I was fine. I guess the lesson here is don't listen to straight guys :p

Also, just read that whole Fire Emblem thread and wow; it's a good thing I wasn't online earlier or I'd be banned now.
Lol yeah, threads like those make me want to post so bad but i know it is better not to because i rather not risk it.

Golnei

I couldn't bring myself to look into more than the first page, but it certainly got off to a good start. I'd probably have been banned by now if I hadn't missed it as well...

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I could have sworn I read research that just linked "gaydar" to heavy reliance on stereotypes.

Yep, I believe that's it. That said, I think some people do dress in certain ways to communicate that they're gay, whether by fulfilling a stereotype or using other symbols. However, anyone can adopt that image, which means relying on such superficial details can be a poor approach.

This week i have gotten into oneohtrix point never and damn its good, like i tried to get into it before and didnt have that much luck, but on Sunday i couldn't really sleep and i just listen to it and started to like it more. Probably out of he albums i have listened to so far garden of delete is my favorite one.

Threads like that just remind me that some people really live in another world, makes it almost cute or endearing.

This week i have gotten into oneohtrix point never and damn its good, like i tried to get into it before and didnt have that much luck, but on Sunday i couldn't really sleep and i just listen to it and started to like it more. Probably out of he albums i have listened to so far garden of delete is my favorite one.

Yeah the dude is a genius.

Now get into Autechre.

Yep, I believe that's it. That said, I think some people do dress in certain ways to communicate that they're gay, whether by fulfilling a stereotype or using other symbols.
Or not even to communicate they're gay but trying to meet the aesthetic ideals of the subculture they identify with, eg bears. The bearier, the more my gaydar or bidey senses go off. :)

3phemeral

Yep, I believe that's it. That said, I think some people do dress in certain ways to communicate that they're gay, whether by fulfilling a stereotype or using other symbols. However, anyone can adopt that image, which means relying on such superficial details can be a poor approach.
Often was in my experience. I think I've only had one successful attempt but that's because I decided to take a chance simply due to his charm and smile. Other times, I could have sworn they were and even "gave off vibes" that they were interested but ended up total busts!

The things we see and do subsequently when we're romantically starved.

Partial success. Worked out with gym buddy.. But his dad went and cockblocked me before we finished. (Disgust)
Poor guy doesn't wear undies under his sweats. It's obvious.

I will check him out any albums you would recommend?

Autechre is actually two people. All of their albums are good, their standard of quality is some of the most consistent ever, but some of their albums are kind of hard to get into at first (I wouldn't start with Confield, for example).

A good rule of thumb is to begin with their albums that are pre-2001. Trirepetae or Chiastic Slide are good places to start. Their first two albums are good too, but they feel a little more dated. They're weird though, even their 'dated' stuff feels really contemporary, just because of how pioneering they've been.

Seriously just listen to Trirepetae and appreciate that this came out in fucking 1995. I'm pretty sure they're cyborgs that make music by exporting their thoughts through midi ports in the back of their heads.

3phemeral

Partial success. Worked out with gym buddy.. But his dad went and cockblocked me before we finished. (Disgust)
Poor guy doesn't wear undies under his sweats. It's obvious.
Lots of guys do this. Why? One really obviously hung guy does (he asked me to spot) and I can't help imagine how uncomfortable it must feel doing certain exercises.

I remember back when I was in SoCal there was a buff guy who was just ridiculous hung wearing sweatpants and deliberately looking for eye contact. I don't know why the indication that he knows and is looking for validation is such a turnoff as opposed to someone who just doesn't care (but probably still aware).

In other news, can I just shout out Vicks Vapor rub infused tissue paper? My heavens, it's amazing when your nose is congested.

Sai-kun

Banned

My man

Yeah the dude is a genius.

Now get into Autechre.

My man 😍😍😍

Lots of guys do this. Why? One really obviously hung guy does (be asked me to spot) and I can't help imagine how uncomfortable it must feel doing certain exercises.

I remember back when I was in SoCal there was a buff guy who was just ridiculous hung wearing sweatpants and deliberately looking for eye contact. I don't know why the indication that he knows and is looking for validation is such a turnoff as opposed to someone who just doesn't care (but probably still aware).

In other news, can I just shout out Vicks Vapor rub infused tissue paper? My heavens, it's amazing when your nose is congested.
I'm sure my guy just wants to sweat his balls off. Theres this one guy who wears comoression pants ans you can see his bulge too clearly. Hes the showoff. And speaking of bulge I spotted a cute white guy I need to stalk. Hes forever pouting. Unsure if its a disability thing or he thinks its cute but id bite it.

And aloe vera tissue.

Autechre is actually two people. All of their albums are good, their standard of quality is some of the most consistent ever, but some of their albums are kind of hard to get into at first (I wouldn't start with Confield, for example).

A good rule of thumb is to begin with their albums that are pre-2001. Trirepetae or Chiastic Slide are good places to start. Their first two albums are good too, but they feel a little more dated. They're weird though, even their 'dated' stuff feels really contemporary, just because of how pioneering they've been.

Seriously just listen to Trirepetae and appreciate that this came out in fucking 1995. I'm pretty sure they're cyborgs that make music by exporting their thoughts through midi ports in the back of their heads.
Ok thanks.

My man

My man 😍😍😍
lol

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Don't complain about here. You'll get forty people saying: "It's so easy to get dick." ��

Personally, I was talking about romantically. I've never really tried to or wanted to get dick. So, uhh, maybe that means there's more for everyone else!

Of course, there's nothing wrong with wanting/getting dick, in case anyone was reading it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom