• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam R: Intelligent Systems killed Crashmo Wii U game; Now focused on Switch projects

FelipeMGM

Liam Robertson (Unseen64 collaborator) just posted this video about how Intelligent Systems cancelled a Crashmo World game for Wii U and are now focusing on their Switch projects. Nothing major I guess, but fun fact at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZJhZ7tskE&t

EDIT:

Was about to post a thread myself.

NintendoEverything have a write up:

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-crashmo-world-was-cancelled-for-wii-u/

So sad. I loved this IP.

Was about to post a thread myself.

NintendoEverything have a write up:

http://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-crashmo-world-was-cancelled-for-wii-u/

After finishing Pushmo World, Intelligent Systems pitched an idea to Nintendo that would give Wii U the same treatment as Crashmo had on 3DS. The working title was, unsurprisingly, Crashmo World. Development moved along in 2015 and progressed for a year, but Intelligent Systems started to shift resources over to Switch.

Crashmo World was actually planned as a 2017 title on Wii U. There was some discussion about potentially moving it over to Switch, though it was ultimately canned instead.

So sad. I loved this IP.

jholmes

Can't watch the video right now but this is certainly depressing news. I really like the series and wish it got a real shot on the Wii U.

Net

I'm both excited and scared for Fire Emblem Switch.

Do they have the chops to do a 3D HD RPG where the graphics aren't paper?

They've always struggled with 3D.

Lijik

I hope we'll at least see some form of Pushmo on the Switch. I'll even settle for a simple collection of the previous games done up in HD. Love this series

LordKano

Well, we got like four Pushmo titles I think (three on 3DS and one on Wii U), I think we've seen enough of it for the moment.

linko9

Good. Way too many games in that series, and it was always a bit weak, compared both to other puzzle games and other IS games.

I think having them work on a more focused, smaller game this time around is probably for the better. If the HD growing pains cause that, it's seems fine. Their work in 3D has gotten better and there is a target in how their games should look so they've got some work out of the way before this.

They've always struggled with 3D

Not anytime recently
screenshot_1-768.jpg

Naw. Intelligent Systems can do 3D.

Although 3D isn't really important for Fire Emblem. Unless they do cutscenes more often then dialogue text

Net

Not anytime recently
screenshot_1-768.jpg

I said not paper! And that's a different internal team than the Fire Emblem team.

Naw. Intelligent Systems can do 3D.

Although 3D isn't really important for Fire Emblem. Unless they do cutscenes more often then dialogue text
I just see it as an opportunity to really take the series to the next level, but it would require a higher budget and a great deal of ambition.

Foffy

Banned
Crashmo World?

Man, why make a sequel to the absurdly hard Crashmo? I would have wanted Stretchmo World...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Can't wait to see FE Switch. PoR and RD are still my favorites. Hope they can get their story and plot writing in order. Awakening and Fates were on point with gameplay but I want an at least non eye rolling story to go along with it.

I will say I do how they get the chance to make some new bigger budget original titles though. They're a really talented group. More new IPs is never a bad thing even if I love their staples. Even if Code Name STEAM was a bit if a dud.

Oregano

I said not paper! And that's a different internal team than the Fire Emblem team.

I just see it as an opportunity to really take the series to the next level, but it would require a higher budget and a great deal of ambition.

Considering how well Fates has sold a bigger budget won't be an issue.

Net

Can't wait to see FE Switch. PoR and RD are still my favorites. Hope they can get their story and plot writing in order. Awakening and Fates were on point with gameplay but I want an at least non eye rolling story to go along with it.

I will say I do how they get the chance to make some new bigger budget original titles though. They're a really talented group. More new IPs is never a bad thing even if I love their staples. Even if Code Name STEAM was a bit if a dud.

Awakening > PoR > Fates >>>> RD (WHERE ARE THE SUPPORT CONVOS?)

Considering how well Fates has sold a bigger budget won't be an issue.
Hopefully. But then it comes down to how capable they've become in the HD space. Can they bring us a game that looks like the old cutscenes in a timely fashion?

oti

Banned
I feel like we have had enough Pushmo games. Great concept, great execution. Now on to the next great idea.

Awakening > PoR > Fates >>>> RD (WHERE ARE THE SUPPORT CONVOS?)

The base conversations in Radiant Dawn were much better then all the supports in Fates and Awakening in my opinion.

I would like supports like Path of Radiance, but those are unlikely with how marriage works

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Crashmo World seems like an odd choice for a final Wii U game—Why not make it Crashmo and Stretchmo combined? Why not some kind of ultimate HD title based on all three games?—so I'm not particularly saddened by this cancellation.

If this rumor is true, I guess this further points to Nintendo killing Wii U apart from the promised Zelda. I wonder if they wish they had never announced Breath of the Wild for Wii U...

Intelligent Systems, alongside HAL, is one of the developers I'm most excited to see on Switch. Since they recently have focused on 3DS projects, I'm very curious what Switch will do for their games like Fire Emblem. Hopefully they don't just switch to mobile development.

Net

Path of Radiance is an ugly fucking game though. To go from those beautiful GBA sprites to that...

Really hope they're prepared for the jump to HD.

Well, if we go by what they did on the GCN and Wii compared to the 3DS, that team already came a long way.

Net

Well, if we go by what they did on the GCN and Wii compared to the 3DS, that team already came a long way.

Right, their 3DS offerings are better especially in animations (and they even got feet into the latest one) but they still pale in comparison to other games on the system. They're always behind the curve, when their games deserve the very best.

I totally missed the paper part. Very sneaky...But Nintendo teams seem to have floating team members when a project deems it necessary. Before I think it was more a case of FE games having smaller budgets than not having technically capable people available

Wow, that's a shame, I'd have bought a Fallblox followup immediately. The first game is one of my favourite puzzlers of all time - it's so much smarter than Pushmo/Pullblox, even if its less accessible for it.

It's a shame Code Name STEAM didn't sell well, even if it was pretty obvious it never would. As Donlan mentioned in a piece for Eurogamer, it was the very opposite of design by committee - a game without a targeted audience to match.

I loved almost every moment of it, definitely the best strategy game Intelligent Systems has made in a long while. I hope they continue to experiment with games like this and Fallblox, as I can't say Fire Emblem has excited me in a long while.

Etria

Does anyone know what the writer for PoR and RD is working on? The story was on another level compared to Awakening (currently playing through it).

meppi

Looking at the releases this year, it's pretty obvious that nearly all development at Nintendo moved on to Switch, not just this game.
Well apart from a few titles to keep the 3DS afloat somewhat.

I don't have a problem with this at all since they will need to hit it out of the park with Switch. Hopefully it'll be a lot different next year.

NeonZ

Fire Emblem Switch, perhaps? I can hope!
It is a bit sad though, pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo are all great games.

Pretty sure that's it, considering how they killed Fates DLC while leaving a bunch unused assets which indicated more DLC originally planned for the future.

oti

Banned
There are enough Paper Mario and Fire Emblem games.
Fire Emblem is in a weird spot right now. The mobile game is coming out in 2017 and they obviously would want to have a console game to promote during that time. I can't imagine them releasing a new console FE next year so what are they going to do? Promote FE on 3DS? These are great games and I'm sure they were expensive to make no question, but 2017 should be about Switch mostly. Maybe they'll release a collection with all three games on Switch? That would be kind of a bummer too though. We want a new FE with better graphics.

NeonZ

Awakening's main writer wrote the Heirs of Fates DLC for Fates, and at the very least he was finally using narration again.

Fire Emblem is in a weird spot right now. The mobile game is coming out in 2017 and they obviously would want to have a console game to promote during that time. I can't imagine them releasing a new console FE next year so what are they going to do? Promote FE on 3DS? These are great games and I'm sure they were expensive to make no question, but 2017 should be about Switch mostly. Maybe they'll release a collection with all three games on Switch? That would be kind of a bummer too though. We want a new FE with better graphics.

I think Fates already had good animation, they just need to improve the character models themselves, and it shouldn't be that hard if they go for an anime style like usual. It likely won't be graphical showcase, but I doubt it'll be another PoR level disaster again.

The base conversations in Radiant Dawn were much better then all the supports in Fates and Awakening in my opinion.

I would like supports like Path of Radiance, but those are unlikely with how marriage works

I think they don't fulfill the same effect as the support convos at all (although some of the ones in RD did seem like material that would have been used for supports if they hadn't cut them). The whole idea is giving more focus to characters you're actually using. The Base conversations don't really do that.

Top Bottom