• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam R: Intelligent Systems killed Crashmo Wii U game; Now focused on Switch projects

IS are pretty prolific, the last year they didn't release something was 1997 if I'm reading Wikipedia right. Despite them cancelling a port of this we should see at least one game from them this year.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Right, their 3DS offerings are better especially in animations (and they even got feet into the latest one) but they still pale in comparison to other games on the system. They're always behind the curve, when their games deserve the very best.
I don't know if they are behind much any other on 3DS

NeonZ

I don't know if they are behind much any other on 3DS

The backgrounds were good, but the character 3d models still were fairly weak. Just compare Lucina in Awakening and Smash Bros. The Fates models were an improvement and more detailed than before, but the faces were still very flat in spite of the semi-sd proportions which gives more emphasis to them.

hqdefault.jpg

EhoaVash

Good don't think anyone will miss this version. I can see a switch version getting revived one day though. Also im glad they're already working on switch with full force, happy that thay're done working on ancient 3ds hardware. Fire emblem hd, might be my first FE

I also wouldnt mind a switch port of color splash, the game deserves a bigger audience. One of the best looking games ever.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Going by Fates creepy face touching minigame I would say that IS has a very good handle on higher quality 3D graphics. If they could translate those over to the normal character models that would be insane. Environments for the most part were quite nice and well above what was seen in either of the GC games. Especially in Fates with how the combat environment reflected the overworld location with nice detail.

Does anyone know what the writer for PoR and RD is working on? The story was on another level compared to Awakening (currently playing through it).

That was Ken Yokoyama and as far as I can tell he's MIA completely. He wrote FE GBA, PoR and RD and then just disappeared from gaming. Not sure if he's the same Ken Yokoyama that is also a singer and head of a band/record label. As FE Ken did write the lyrics to RD's Dawn Awakens song.

I would love for them to get him back, dude wrote the three best FE's in terms of overall plot and writing.

AntMurda

IS are pretty prolific, the last year they didn't release something was 1997 if I'm reading Wikipedia right. Despite them cancelling a port of this we should see at least one game from them this year.

Often times they are party involved in development. They outsource a lot like Platinum now too, it's basically get that logo on as many releases as possible with a lot of outsiders helping do the work.

Going by Fates creepy face touching minigame I would say that IS has a very good handle on higher quality 3D graphics. If they could translate those over to the normal character models that would be insane. Environments for the most part were quite nice and well above what was seen in either of the GC games. Especially in Fates with how the combat environment reflected the overworld location with nice detail.

That was Ken Yokoyama and as far as I can tell he's MIA completely. He wrote FE GBA, PoR and RD and then just disappeared from gaming. Not sure if he's the same Ken Yokoyama that is also a singer and head of a band/record label. As FE Ken did write the lyrics to RD's Dawn Awakens song.

I would love for them to get him back, dude wrote the three best FE's in terms of overall plot and writing.
I highly doubt that's the same guy, as the Ken Yokoyama you are referencing was running a record label at the time of FE7's development.

That said, the Ken Yokoyama who worked for IS definitely had a hand in why those 3 games are so great narratively (FE8 being no slouch either). Hopefully the next entry will see an improvement in the writing, as honestly that's the only major flaw with the more recent titles.

Pullblox is my favourite game in the series so I'm just glad Wii U got that a while ago. Sad Fallblox World was cancelled but eh not a huge loss.

spiritfox

Actually the faces are 2D. It's just separate parts merged into a picture and made to move independently. Check out Live2D.

ZeroX03

Banned
That's unfortunate to hear. It's a delightful series that could get cruel as you progressed. Absolutely would've bought this.

It's a shame Code Name STEAM didn't sell well, even if it was pretty obvious it never would. As Donlan mentioned in a piece for Eurogamer, it was the very opposite of design by committee - a game without a targeted audience to match.

I loved almost every moment of it, definitely the best strategy game Intelligent Systems has made in a long while. I hope they continue to experiment with games like this and Fallblox, as I can't say Fire Emblem has excited me in a long while.

It was a fantastic game. No idea why the aesthetic was such a turn off for people. It looks lovely to me.

Reki

its rather impressive how many titles IS is capable of releasing

This was evident this generation. They released:
- FE Awakenig (2012)
- FE Fates (2015)
- Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (2015)
- Pushmo (2011)
- Crashmo (2012)
- Pushmo World (2014)
- Stretchmo (2015)
- Game & Wario (2013)
- PM Sticker Star (2012)
- PM Color Splash (2016)

And you have to consider their - although minor - involvement with TMS (2015). A pretty solid list for a not-so-big studio. Do they still prepare development kits?

I would love to see something from them in the Switch event, but I think it's a little early for FE.

- FE Awakenig (2012)
- FE Fates (2015)
- Pushmo (2011)
- Crashmo (2012)
- Pushmo World (2014)
- Stretchmo (2015)
- Game & Wario (2013)
- PM Sticker Star (2012)
- PM Color Splash (2016)

And you have to consider their - although minor - involvement with TMS (2015). A pretty solid list for a not-so-big studio. Do they still prepare development kits?

I would love to see something from them in the Switch event, but I think it's a little early for FE.

Even if they're not at the Switch event the exciting part is that all of their efforts will be focused on a single platform. It's going to be amazing

Dark_castle

Can't wait to see FE Switch. PoR and RD are still my favorites. Hope they can get their story and plot writing in order. Awakening and Fates were on point with gameplay but I want an at least non eye rolling story to go along with it.

I will say I do how they get the chance to make some new bigger budget original titles though. They're a really talented group. More new IPs is never a bad thing even if I love their staples. Even if Code Name STEAM was a bit if a dud.
My man. RD is my favorite FE, although admittedly I didn't play all of them yet, especially the older ones. I really want FE to back to 3D visual like PoR and RD, get rid of the marriage and child system, dial the fan service back down from eleven and go back to having a competent story/writing.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Switch will slow down IS's output, given that it's HD. I imagine that it'll take some time for them to develop an HD FE engine, though perhaps their work on mobile is building towards that.

My man. RD is my favorite FE, although admittedly I didn't play all of them yet, especially the older ones. I really want FE to back to 3D visual like PoR and RD, get rid of the marriage and child system, dial the fan service back down from eleven and go back to having a competent story/writing.

As much as I'd love for the children aspect to be cut, I feel like it's too popular for IS to get rid of it. But I'd also just settle for them not writing in a nonsensical reason why the children fight alongside their parents and instead going with a mandatory time jump where you play with the second generation. I think the simultaneous parents/kids thing worked in Awakening to some degree, but the way I heard it works in Fates just had me rolling my eyes.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
- FE Awakenig (2012)
- FE Fates (2015)
- Pushmo (2011)
- Crashmo (2012)
- Pushmo World (2014)
- Stretchmo (2015)
- Game & Wario (2013)
- PM Sticker Star (2012)
- PM Color Splash (2016)

They didn't have a minor role in TMS, they had a zero role. That was Nintendo / Atlus.

As someone mentioned above, their logo may flash on all those games, but besides the eshop Crashmo most were all multi-developer projects. The Paper Mario and FE projects have about 6 major developer collaborations in each. Game&Wario series they do about half the work.

NeonZ

As much as I'd love for the children aspect to be cut, I feel like it's too popular for IS to get rid of it. But I'd also just settle for them not writing in a nonsensical reason why the children fight alongside their parents and instead going with a mandatory time jump where you play with the second generation. I think the simultaneous parents/kids thing worked in Awakening to some degree, but the way I heard it works in Fates just had me rolling my eyes.

In Fates, I think the idea is that they could introduce children without needing to sacrifice the main story around that mechanic. If you think about it, they could use a similar excuse to even introduce children and My Castle in remakes without changing the main plot at all. Of course, the issue is that Fates' main story was weak anyway, so the obvious excuse just makes it another apparent misstep in storytelling.

Reki

They didn't have a minor role in TMS, they had a zero role. That was Nintendo / Atlus.

As someone mentioned above, their logo may flash on all those games, but besides the eshop Crashmo most were all multi-developer projects. The Paper Mario and FE projects have about 6 major developer collaborations in each. Game&Wario series they do about half the work.

My bad about TMS, I thought they gave major feedback at the start, but it turns out that Ando and Yamagami were the ones more involved from Nintendo.

About the rest of the titles... yeah, other development teams collaborated with the projects to different degrees, but I was under the impression that IS had the leading role in all of them. Which is, if I understand correctly, a common practice with the titles Nintendo publishes; I can't recall the last time I saw ending credits for one of their games with only one company logo.

The bit about FE is interesting. Studio Anima worked on the cutscenes, for example, but I'm not so sure if that's what you are referring to with "major development collaborations". What do you mean by that? Not doubting you or anything, just really curious.

And even with the external help you pointed out, I think it's a strong resume for the last few years. I also wanted to ask, do you know something about their collaboration with development tools? It seems like they helped with 3DS, but I can't find if that occupied much of its employees or if it they still are expected to work in those tools for the next platforms.

CSX

If this is all for the sake of Fire Emblem Switch coming sooner rather than later, I approve of this move :p

AntMurda

The bit about FE is interesting. Studio Anima worked on the cutscenes, for example, but I'm not so sure if that's what you are referring to with "major development collaborations". What do you mean by that? No doubting you or anything, just really curious.

Proge, Tose, Media Vision, and Red Entertainment are the bigger names on the list according to the credits. There are more it seems.

And even with the external help you pointed out, I think it's a strong resume for the last few years. Also, do you know something about their collaboration with development tools? It seems like they helped with 3DS, but I can't find if that occupied much of its employees or if it they still are expected to work in those tools for the next platforms.

They just need to get back to making Advance Wars along with Fire Emblem.

Etria

Hope he does come back for a future FE title then. The series needs that style of storytelling to make a comeback, and then it will be perfection.

Strings

Good don't think anyone will miss this version. I can see a switch version getting revived one day though. Also im glad they're already working on switch with full force, happy that thay're done working on ancient 3ds hardware. Fire emblem hd, might be my first FE

I also wouldnt mind a switch port of color splash, the game deserves a bigger audience. One of the best looking games ever.

I'm 95% sure we'll get this, and I hate it. While the game is very pretty, that's all I think it is.

Not to mention I'm 99% sure it'd just bomb all over again and truly kill the franchise.

Dark_castle

Hope he does come back for a future FE title then. The series needs that style of storytelling to make a comeback, and then it will be perfection.

Radiant Dawn is one of the rarest game that I've come across that lets us fight against protagonist in a battle of life and death, and then lets us fight the same character we used to fight the protagonist. I tell you, mind were blown that day.

CSX

Radiant Dawn is one of the rarest game that I've come across that lets us fight against protagonist in a battle of life and death, and then lets us fight the same character we used to fight the protagonist. I tell you, mind were blown that day.

Yep. And as someone who played prior FE games, seeing 3rd tier promotion classes was also mind blowing :)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Child system isn't going anywhere. It's here to stay, for good and bad. So I can only hope they do something interesting with it this time. Take a page from Genealogy of the Holy War.

Give us a 40-50 chapter game where the first half involves the parent's generation taking on some conflict. Then break for ~20 years and pick up following the children's generation continuing that fight. Have a mix of fixed marriages and player controlled ones.

I know many wouldn't like this, but they could technically pull a Fates and split the two time periods into their own games. But many wouldn't like the idea of having to pay to match make.

In any event they could easily get away with a Revelations type dlc expansion that simply provides a true ending or they could do something more interesting like have another campaign following the grandchildren's generation instead.

Personally I just really want a set protagonist again the Robin/Corrin setup is just not good. It has a severe impact on the game's story compared to having a set Lord with a defined personality and background.

KooopaKid

Banned
I don't mind. Pushmo World didn't bring much new to the table. It was overly familiar.
I'm all for a new IP or new idea.

It was a fantastic game. No idea why the aesthetic was such a turn off for people. It looks lovely to me.

Aye, I couldn't imagine the game without its proudly chunky cel-shaded art and environments.

I only played through it once and that I can remember almost every level is testament to both the level design and art design.

Top Bottom