• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange Episode 1 Review Thread

Arizato

Just got my key and can't wait to get home from school to play this. I am surprised that the game did not get slammed though. The scores are far better than I expected and that's great!

_woLf

Really enjoying this so far. Just a really immersive world and I really like exploring/interacting with everything. Also dat music is soooo calming.

Can't wait to get all the achievements and stuff in this!

jediyoshi

Fuck, Dontnod knocks it out of the park with art style and UE3 mastery again. Felt like watching their imagination.

I liked how much of it was actually, completely modeled and not made up of fake, painted, cardboard cutouts like what Telltale games have been doing for scenery work. Looking through my screenshots, so much of it looks like fully drawn concept art.

ibpsS2Jilmgzw5.jpg

ity3q7wgNbz7p.jpg

There was a guy in the OT thread who called this game IIRC, but whatever, I'll say my piece here.

Fuck, Dontnod knocks it out of the park with art style and UE3 mastery again. Felt like watching their imagination. Only area lacking was animation, which was only good enough. But damn, I could watch the ending all day. Great music choice as well. Can't wait for the next episodes.

Great graphics besides the first section of the game. The ground looked fucking ugly (At least on the PS4... dont know how it looks on PC).

Everdred

Just finished the first episode with my wife. It took us 111 minutes with some moderate exploration. I liked it a fair amount. Story is going interesting places and the mechanics are good enough. What a downer the main character is.

EDIT: No issues here with the PC version. 2500K and a 580 GTX.

I was going to wait a little bit before getting it, but the high reviews convinced me. I also didn't realise the game came with a (gorgeous) theme on PS4 so that was an added bonus.

I kind a wish Telltale Games had this kind of quality

Yes and no.
Graphics are great in Life is Strange. The overall presentation is good.
Animation wise they are on par. But Life is Strange has one of the worst Facial Animations ever.

Cant comment on Story and Characters because its just the first episode.

Karak

The payoff for when you see the dude is a complete psycho was a great payoff to that. My heart sank after I saw the cameras since I assumed they were recording, in which case it would've caught all the earlier snooping.

In the back of my head I was wondering if it was possible to rewind all the way before that. Though it was odd for Max to not remark on that at all so I'm guessing we're supposed to not assume it was being recorded. Was also waiting for a camera feed to pop up from Chloe's room for ultimate creep factor, but I don't recall one.

Also just found out Ashly Burch voiced Chloe, didn't recognize it at all.

YUUUUUP. Same here. So much atmosphere in the game and that soft filter they use on the graphics. Simply amazing look.

I was able to get past it by alt tabbing during the unreal logo
Oh well thats good. Enjoy it, its great!

kubus

Still no OT?

Has someone PM'd MRORANGE yet? (I think he was the one who called it).

Can't wait to play this. I should be getting a €50 psn card delivered today so with a bit of luck I can play the first episode this afternoon :D.

jediyoshi

Yes and no.
Graphics are great in Life is Strange. The overall presentation is good.
Animation wise they are on par. But Life is Strange has one of the worst Facial Animations ever.

Cant comment on Story and Characters because its just the first episode.

The lip sync is terribly shite, but half way through it just didn't phase me anymore. Moreso than graphics and tech, I wish Telltale's games gameplay wise would lean back in the exploratory, self paced direction. This was way more in line with Walking Dead Season 1 in a good way.

Karak

The lip sync is terribly shite, but half way through it just didn't phase me anymore. Moreso than graphics and tech, I wish Telltale's games gameplay wise would lean back in the exploratory, self paced direction. This was way more in line with Walking Dead Season 1 in a good way.

The lip syncing is like a whales blowhole on a human head I mean the mouths just open and close like fucking sock puppets. Everything else is great.

Facial Animations could be a problem later on if they dont work that shit out. A lot of drama gets lost if you dont do it right.

Telltale managed to get that shit right.

jediyoshi

Facial Animations could be a problem later on if they dont work that shit out. A lot of drama gets lost if you dont do it right.

Telltale managed to get that shit right.

I think Telltale have the benefit of having much less fidelity in their character models as a whole so it's less jarring either way. Animation wise, I think this still wins out overall when you take into account body movements and how characters actually move around or interact with environments.

Telltale's character animations always look so completely scripted. You can tell when one animation is triggered and when it stops playing or when it's looping, there's really no sense of animations subtly blending between each other.

I think Telltale have the benefit of having much less fidelity in their character models as a whole so it's less jarring either way. Animation wise, I think this still wins out overall when you take into account body movements and how characters actually move around or interact with environments.

Telltale's character animations always look so completely scripted. You can tell when one animation is triggered and when it stops playing or when it's looping, there's really no sense of animations subtly blending between each other.

Well okay you are right. They both have problems when it comes to Animations. They probably should team up and make a game together.

MrNinjaSquirrel

Neo Member
Was super excited for this, and after the first episode I'd say I'm pretty optimistic for the series. I feel like the time travel element is sort of just - there - at this point and probably the worst part of the game (despite being what it's ostensibly orbiting around), but the characters and writing were enough to cover for it and I'm hopeful Dontnod can improve as they begin to get out of the mindset of making more traditional AAA stuff.

Anyway, if you want to read me ramble a bit more I posted a somewhat long, overly personal review on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrninjasquirrel/recommended/319630?snr=1_5_9__402

Meia

Had no knowledge of the existence of the game, but reading enough has made me buy it. Helps the GMG 25% off code expires today, so was still able to use it. :p

I'm really wanting to play this, but why the fuck is the game $19.99 (AU) on Steam, and $29.99 (AU) on PSN?

EDIT: It makes my purchasing decision easy...but why is this happening?

I'm really surprised by the positive response this is getting. Even as someone who likes playing this sort of thing by the likes of Quantic Dream and Telltale, I thought the game looked like a right stinker from the very beginning, mostly due to the cringe-worthy dialogue and the stilted character animation. But whaddya know, apparently it's worthy playing. I'll check the demo out and go from there.

Nope. Almost 5am EST and it still isn't up. Square should have just given an option to pre-order/pre-load.

I wonder why they didn't, would it cost them more to have that option? in any case it seems the US store has decided to filed this one under the 'update whenever' category, if it isn't up by the next hour it means that I won't be able to queue it for download for the next 10 hours while I go to work and that would suck

Corpekata

Banned
I do hope they give an option later to stop the "This choice will have consequences" thing from popping up and Max from basically saying "maybe I should try it the other way" after important choices. Can be kind of immersion killing.

kubus

I've sent a pm to MRORANGE asking what the status is on the OT. I'll post again when/if I get a response.

Just giving a heads up here so his inbox isn't flooded :p.

jediyoshi

38.2mb patch up for Steam, hopefully it fixes issues for people

On my original first load up of the game, it black screened after the unreal logo. Just relaunched it and never ran into any issues

spekkeh

Banned
Wow this game is already out? That could've used some more marketing. Great to see that it is well appreciated. I got a bit bored of the Telltale template though I loved their games, I'm so over this too.

Tizoc

1- Where's the OT, lol.
2- For those that have the PC ver., any tips to keep it consistent at 60 FPS? It seems when there are a lot of characters, my FPS dips to 40-50 FPS. What options or alterations to the ini should I do to improve performance if possible?
3- I like the water color motif in some of the images and how they try to apply it to the hair.

Laieon

Probably a stupid question, but if I buy it from Nuuvem is it going to be in Spanish? It looks like the website is...

Osahi

Finished it. Loved it. They took the telltale formula and ran with it, making it a game again, without losing the emotional factor.

And damn, they should release the ost. If they can procure the rights for that (i can imagine they are only allowed to use the songs ingame)

Top Bottom