• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII Import Thread

Levyne

Banned
Mind blown on chocolina. Wat.

LLShC.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Was it really that hard to just have her be that one random wacky character who doesn't really need a backstory?
If there's anything I've noticed about Toriyama/Watanabe's style, actually, it's that every piece needs to fit together in a puzzle or be linked together in some manner for a small 'aha/wtf' moment. Depending on how you see it, this could be a positive or a negative.

That 'aha/wtf' moment probably didn't jive well with some people who played the DLC.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
My copy just arrived in Tennessee. The extra 10 hours of so of waiting is worth it for the physical copy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If there's anything I've noticed about Toriyama/Watanabe's style, actually, it's that every piece needs to fit together in a puzzle or be linked together in some manner for a small 'aha/wtf' moment. Depending on how you see it, this could be a positive or a negative.

That 'aha/wtf' moment probably didn't jive well with some people who played the DLC.

If you notice: Whatever Toriyama/Watanabe write/direct, it's going to have a weird/shitty/unnecessarily convoluted story (see X-2, XIII, XIII-2). If you throw in Nojima and/or Kitase (as a director), it will neuter it (see FFX).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The product code is for the Cloud stuff?

Yeah just the Cloud stuff. I dont think I ordered the more expensive version which came with more DLC stuff. There was some 6000ish yen one which is this one w/ first print Cloud code.

And some 7600? yen one around there anyways that came with some other DLC stuff along with the Cloud code.

Tizoc

I just assume Toriyama is on some crazy mushrooms which helps keep him sane in a world he believes detests is (crazy) story ideas.
His gameplay concepts have promise though, just never let the man write a story.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Haven't kept up on this thread, can anyone summarize if this game has:

-have open world towns or open fields to explore with day night cycles?
-intricate dungeons designs?
-puzzles?
-linear or non-linear missions & sidequest progression?
-is this still turn based menu based combat or real time combat like God of War?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I think he's being sarcastic.
This has got to be one of the ugliest end of generation games out there.

Thanks god the good style makes it looking better than the usual "CoD"-like games. So it doesn't matter to me in the end – also the lighting in that bay-screenshot is especially good and remembers me of HL2 :p

Did they reuse New Bodhum theme at the village in the wildlands ? Doesn't seem like it fits here idk

That's why I don't like when like in XIII-2 they re-use old tracks even if they have a full new OST to use. That's just lazy.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Another 20% to install XD

Would be weird playing FF in Chinese for the first time. Hope the translation isn't bad. Heard complaints from the Chinese community for the last 2 games.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
-have open world towns or open fields to explore with day night cycles?
-puzzles?
-non-linear missions & sidequest progression?

YES, YES, YES!

-intricate dungeons designs?
-is this still turn based menu based combat or real time combat like God of War?

A dungeon in a desert seemed quite complex, but to be seen if the game spots anything else similar or more complex than that.

Battles are turn based, sort of evolution of XIII's battles so ATB x more tempo actions like parrying and evading made in real tine. Definitely not full action a la KH.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So much excitement today

I wanna play this game

RIGHT FUCKING NOW

So is there slow down everywhere like XIII-2? and do the textures still look about the level of quality as a background tree in Gran Turismo 3?

HeelPower

single tear. Guess I will be passing on this for the first few weeks of NA release... pretty sure its gonna crash in price faster than XIII-2 at this rate.

grass textures rarely ever look good on extreme close up, so this isn't really proof of bad graphics in any game.

However,there is no doubt, this game is graphically emaciated.

grass textures rarely ever look good on extreme close up, so this isn't really proof of bad graphics in any game.

However,there is no doubt, this game is graphically emaciated.

No doubt. If they knew it looked that bad they should've chosen a different camera angle...

Falk

that puzzling face
No doubt. If they knew it looked that bad they should've chosen a different camera angle...

That's true of a lot of shots in the game. I mean I understand that Crystal Tools isn't really meant for what they pulled in the environments, but I feel if the game had a little more time to simmer a lot of the ugly could have been a lot more well-hidden.

Like these 2-sided cardboard cut-out bottles for example.

This almost feels like a RAGE megatexture discussion all over again.

Wildlands on the stream seemed a little slow but is picking up. Hilariously enough I felt the same lack of direction with Skyrim. I guess they are on target? :V

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Oh god... Toriyama why.
There's a super slutty outfit you can get that's basically a bikini and some boots.

Top Bottom