• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning - "Why the hate?"

They're trying to push her as an iconic character when she's just not very interesting. She's okay in XIII but nobody cares about her as much as you do, Toriyama.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Lightning is like a silent character the gamer is suppose to project onto, except they forgot both the silence part and the projection aspect.

Squire

Banned
I just really like her design, she was good in 13 and fulfilled her role well I guess. By 13-2 I didn't really understand wtf was going on with her.

It's funny because if more people owned to this, these threads wouldn't harbor as many arguments.

We have a guy who frequents the Persona threads and loves Yukiko Amagi's design - but doesn't care for the character herself. And that's fine! The two aren't mutually exclusive. I like designs of characters in things I've never played/seen all the time. The issue is people try to argue Light is this great character, but with nothing to stand on. It's insulting to the actual, developed characters out there.

I only liked her when she was punching out Snow so to speak. That's about the only time I liked her. Otherwise she tends to come off as very flat, unemotional, uncaring, heartless, mean and yet Squeenix thinks she's the bees knees and sees fit to shove her into everything. They tried to go for the female Cloud and failed.

She was a bad lead and didn't really do anything to deserve the kind of attention she gets.

It would have been fine with just one game but now she's on her third.

GrayFoxPL

iAWVi07DXkiMx.gif

ibpdydxUdNQ7Dx.gif

I played Final Fantasy XIII for 2 hours, I've never completed a final fantasy and I think Lightning is one of the greatest designed characters in gaming.

Genuinely.

what if lighting looked like this op

223O3UU.jpg

would you still like her

Cloud's kind of like Lightning, and he's cool.

Design and looks do go hand in hand with good character designs. There were many RPGs where I just couldn't get into because of terrible character designs: Star Ocean New Hope, Symphonia 2, etc. I even felt that way about Graces f and Vesperia even though they were good Tales' games. Same with WRPGs like Dragon Age II for example.

A good comparison is Titus and Zack. Both have similar personalities but I just never liked Titus because of his design whereas Zack is really a cool character.

As for character development, I don't think it was any different from past FF games. Most of them were very similar. I think FFVI had the best character development of all the FFs, and maybe FFIV.

PK Gaming

Hmm where to begin

I also like Lightning too, and I think she's cool, but that doesn't mean I don't notice her flaws.

1. Her tsundere, It's-not-like-I-like-you-or-anything schtik in FFXIII is so obnoxious. She has no reason to act the way she does towards the beginning of the game (ie: being overly aggressive towards everything), and I cringe like hell when she starts "warming up to her friends." It's like i'm watching a cheesy anime...

2. She has no character in FFXIII-2. The only thing I can remember about her in that game is that she wore shiny armor, fought with some purple dude and
turned to stone

3. She's the face of FFXIII

doemaaan

I only liked her when she was punching out Snow so to speak. That's about the only time I liked her. Otherwise she tends to come off as very flat, unemotional, uncaring, heartless, mean and yet Squeenix thinks she's the bees knees and sees fit to shove her into everything. They tried to go for the female Cloud and failed.
To be fair, she does tend to open up somewhere halfway through the game. Especially through Hope. The first time she smiled, my eyes nearly fell out of their sockets. Didn't think it was possible.

Personally, I don't hate Lightning. I just don't get why people think she's special or deserves extra games. Her FFXIII design was gorgeous, though.

Tagg9

She just doesn't come across as a very believable character, even after you find out about her backstory.

She doesn't really deserve the pedestal she's been put upon, but I actually rather liked her as a protagonist.
I think it's because I've dealt with a lot of stubborn people though.
In the end, she's kind of dull, but I didn't think she was obnoxious.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yeah, OP you help her detractors argument more than you do your own by mentioning that you "think she's kinda hot".

That's all there is to Lightning, if anything. She has no personality and she's the most boring textbook definition of beauty. She's a shallow non-character appreciated by very shallow individuals.

This.

Squire

Banned
Real talk!

Also everyone in here sayin she's as bad as Cloud are admitting they think Cloud is a fuckin trash character as well, right?

Cloud has the benefit of being a silent protagonist in his original game. He has an arc, but he's mostly your key to that world.

Lightning doesn't have anything like that. She's fully voiced and, according to Square, she isn't even the main character of FFXIII because the whole party are considered main characters.

Trigger

I don't hate Lightning; she's just not very fleshed out. In fact, I think Fang better represents everything Lightning was supposed to bring to the table.

Lightning makes no sense. In 13 she's a demigod-level warrior who can slaughter hundreds of Sanctum troops and yet...she's presented as a military patrol grunt with no special training?

The whole game I wanted to ask "Where the fuck did you come from?"

doemaaan

I don't hate Lightning; she's just not very fleshed out. In fact, I think Fang better represents everything Lightning was supposed to bring to the table.

Fang IS this games' main protagonist. Well, her and Vanille really. Her responsibilities and goals outweigh Lightning's tenfold. Plus, her character is better, voice actress is better, she's prettier, less annoying, etc etc etc.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Lightning makes no sense. In 13 she's a demigod-level warrior who can slaughter hundreds of Sanctum troops and yet...she's presented as a military patrol grunt with no special training?

This can be said about any rpg protagonist ever..

cjkeats

She looks cool. I like her design, but I don't know about her personality because I can't play FF XIII for more than and hour without falling asleep.

she's one of the reasons I have not touch a final fantasy game in awhile just waiting for some change to happen then i'll get back into it, I don't like her character at all.

TWILT

Banned
I just find her to be a really boring and bland character. I'm pretty sick of her to be honest. Doesn't really help I don't like her games all that much.

She's very boring. One of the most wooden protagonists I've ever played. All of the characters in XIII save Sazh were just one note archetypes, though Lightning stood out in having no notes at all, and generally no personality.

dramatis

Fang IS this games' main protagonist. Well, her and Vanille really. Her responsibilities and goals outweigh Lightning's tenfold. Plus, her character is better, voice actress is better, she's prettier, less annoying, etc etc etc.
You mean Vanille is the main protagonist of FF13. Fang has a good design and attitude, but she is essentially an accessory for Vanille. Out of all the characters, Fang probably got shafted the most.

oni_saru

I like Lightning. I think she's kind of hot. But aside from that, I think she's one of the better FF characters in recent years. That's just my opinion.

So just wondering why the hate going on? Let me guess, is it NOT her as a character but more about what she represents with current Square-Enix's tumultuous times: like how they push her into every game, FFXIII's disappointment, Dissidia, ios, etc.

I don't think she's that bad as a character. As for the games she stars in...that I can understand, give or take.

No. It's her as a character that made me dislike her. I think I had strong expectations when they had announced her as a strong female character. I was expecting a Major Kusanagi (Ghost in the Shell) type character based on initial trailers and pics. I did not expect to see this overly protective older type sister character who could have resolved quite a few issues if she had talked and listened to her sister in the first place.

She was just boring and the whole "shut off my own emotions" kind of thing wasn't well put off. I can take emotionless characters but hers just wasn't that good.

It's been awhile so this is just a very basic explanation of why I dislike Lightning's character.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It wouldn't have bothered me if the game didn't take itself so goddamn seriously.

And this can be said about any Final Fantasy ever.. seriously.. these kind of criticisms are a bit too general.

I'm actually surprised how many people are commenting on her design as being "attractive". I don't get that at all from her, her design is super conservative if anything. It's obvious Serah was the one designed to be hyper-sexualized.

I'll admit Fang is the best char in 13 though.

Squire

Banned

This very invalid point needs to stop being raised. In regards to Lightning, Fang, Serah and every other female character who has ever appeared or will appear in a video game. It says nothing about how a character develops and functions as a character.

To be fair, I do agree that Square-Enix needs to do a better job in fleshing her character out and developing her relationships, etc.

But to be bloody honest, that's asking too much on them because I realize a lot of JRPGs show potential of good character development but they tend to fall short.

Which is why I accepted that and try to get the best out of the games. I learned it's not good to put high expectations with JRPGs especially Final Fantasy.

None of the FFXIII characters were all that great: Snow, Hope, Serah...absolutely horrible characters.

I don't think it's Lightning that's bad but the overall story in FFXIII was just bad and really didn't leave much room for good characters because everything was so superficial and shallow.

Trigger

You mean Vanille is the main protagonist of FF13. Fang has a good design and attitude, but she is essentially an accessory for Vanille. Out of all the characters, Fang probably got shafted the most.

I think both of these arguments have merit.

Top Bottom