• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon creator talks about Sega “flat out rejecting” the first Yakuza game thinking it wouldn’t sell

20240524-31425-960x640.jpg

Former chief creative officer of Sega and creator of the Like a Dragon series Toshihiro Nagoshi recently appeared as a guest on the live documentary show Weekly Ochiai. The game creator revealed interesting details about the hurdles he faced to get the first Yakuza game approved and released.

Commenting on how the first Like a Dragon game (known as Yakuza in the West), came to be, Nagoshi explains the game industry’s atmosphere at the time. Japanese games had reached the point where they no longer dominated worldwide top-seller rankings, and American and European games were growing increasingly more prominent. Game companies, including Sega, were having a hard time producing big sellers.

20240524-31425-001.jpg

“This led to a mindset of making games that would appeal to the masses, games that could sell anywhere and to anyone. Many producers, including myself, thought this way,” Nagoshi comments.

“But this mindset wasn’t really leading to a solution, and I saw many game proposals gradually become watered down as producers bended over to change things the way management instructed them to.” Watching this happen is what made Nagoshi question himself. “This is where everything started,” he says.

When asked about how Sega reacted to the first proposal for Yakuza, Nagoshi says, “Of course, it was flat out rejected. After all, it was completely contrary to what I mentioned earlier about attracting the masses. Children wouldn’t be able to play it, and it wasn’t catered to women nor overseas audiences. In this sense, there was no way for it to be approved without resistance.”

However, Nagoshi did not give up even after being shot down. He believed that even though Yakuza did not cater to the masses, it could still reap commercial success from its strong identity. At the same time, the creator was struggling to find a way to prove this to Sega management, as there had been no precedent.

In the end, it took at least three tries to get Yakuza approved, and Nagoshi even notes that the game’s approval was not achieved through regular routes and was “quite forceful.”

GJswdACXQAAFdRy

Another challenge Nagoshi was faced with in creating Yakuza was aligning his vision with the development team. Although the game included violent themes, he did not want it to be a game that affirms violence. “I wanted it to be a game that makes you want to do your best to live another day. I remember reminding people of this frequently.”

Ultimately, Yakuza succeeded in becoming a hit, selling around a million copies (with the push of a very affordable low-price edition soon after the game’s release). Asked why a sequel to Yakuza was released so quickly (Yakuza 2 came out the next year), Nagoshi explains that despite the first game being a hit, the team had concerns about it being a passing trend and decided it would be best to ride the wave till it lasted. Thus, the Like a Dragon series was born.

Source - Automaton West

Last edited:
I mean, they weren't wrong. I love the series but the games struggled to chart until recently and don't exactly light up the charts now.
The series performed well domestically in Japan though, and that was before it gained popularity in the West with the release of Yakuza 0 on PS4 and later on Steam.

Btw, here are approximate lifetime sales of Yakuza Games in Japan (physical only) provided by Media Create:

GameLifetime Sales
Yakuza 1745.502
Yakuza 2837.796
Yakuza Kenzan400.129
Yakuza 3724.120
Yakuza 4719.606
Yakuza Black Panther335.760
Yakuza Dead Souls416.050
Yakuza Black Panther 2176.388
Yakuza 5612.628
Yakuza 1+2 HD172.648
Yakuza Ishin380.568
Yakuza 0389.265
Yakuza 6312.500
Yakuza Kiwami250.487

StereoVsn

This is one of my favorite series in gaming and it’s fortunate that Nagoshi succeeded.

This is also a series that drove me to learn Japanese during the 3-4-5 era when 3rd game had bunch of cut content and the long wait for 5.

StereoVsn

The series performed well domestically in Japan though, and that was before it gained popularity in the West with the release of Yakuza 0 on PS4 and later on Steam.

Btw, here are approximate lifetime sales of Yakuza Games in Japan (physical only) provided by Media Create:

GameLifetime Sales
Yakuza 1745.502
Yakuza 2837.796
Yakuza Kenzan400.129
Yakuza 3724.120
Yakuza 4719.606
Yakuza Dead Souls416.050
Yakuza 5612.628
Yakuza 1+2 HD172.648
Yakuza Ishin380.568
Yakuza 0389.265
Yakuza 6312.500
Yakuza Kiwami250.487
Yakuza 0 low sales are criminal for such an amazing game. 😠

MiguelItUp

Absolutely love the Yakuza series. It's clear that Sega is pretty stupid, lmao. Which sucks because I love them so much, but they clearly don't always make the right calls. So glad Yakuza made it through.

GameLifetime Sales
Yakuza 1745.502
Yakuza 2837.796
Yakuza Kenzan400.129
Yakuza 3724.120
Yakuza 4719.606
Yakuza Dead Souls416.050
Yakuza 5612.628
Yakuza 1+2 HD172.648
Yakuza Ishin380.568
Yakuza 0389.265
Yakuza 6312.500
Yakuza Kiwami250.487
The game didn't sell that well on its launch with around 200,000 sales. It took the sequel and a price cuts of the 1st game and 2nd games to get decent numbers.

Like Monster Hunter really

Absolutely love the Yakuza series. It's clear that Sega is pretty stupid, lmao. Which sucks because I love them so much, but they clearly don't always make the right calls. So glad Yakuza made it through.

SEGA Japan had money issues and couldn't just say yes to $28 million on a brand new IP that was only going to appeal to Japan.

I doubt the greenlight was as hard as Nagoshi-san makes either.

MiguelItUp

Sega has had a history of making dumb choices, but like ManaByte ManaByte pointed out, it was a tough call for them to make right after the death of the Dreamcast.

I'm still genuinely surprised we received so many hit titles right after they went third party.
They most certainly have. Of course! Same here, very happy about it though.
They started development in 2002. That's within their first year of being a third party and they were still figuring it out.
Very true!
SEGA Japan had money issues and couldn't just say yes to $28 million on a brand new IP that was only going to appeal to Japan.

I doubt the greenlight was as hard as Nagoshi-san makes either.
Totally understandable. Agreed. I'm just glad it came to exist is all.

Top Bottom