• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon Gaiden Screens and Descriptions leak.

Labadal

Gematsu Article.

Like-a-Dragon-Gaiden-The-Man-Who-Erased-His-Name_2023_06-08-23_001-1920x1080.jpg

Like-a-Dragon-Gaiden-The-Man-Who-Erased-His-Name_2023_06-08-23_002-768x432.jpg

Like-a-Dragon-Gaiden-The-Man-Who-Erased-His-Name_2023_06-08-23_003-768x432.jpg

Erase Your Past to Protect Your Future

Once a legendary yakuza, Kazuma Kiryu faked his own death and abandoned his name for the sake of protecting his family. Now, he is thrust into conflict by a mysterious figure attempting to drive him out of hiding.

Under the codename “Joryu,” Kiryu embarks on a gripping action narrative with bone-shattering combat in vibrant locations filled with exciting characters and activities.

Ultimate Combat with Two High-Impact Fighting Styles

Dynamically switch between the Yakuza and Agent fighting styles in visceral melee combat.

With the Yakuza style, strike fear into enemies by unleashing wildly aggressive moves powered by Kiryu’s unparalleled strength and flair.

Or up the ante with the Agent style by delivering blows with absolute speed and precision, while using an array of high-tech gadgets like electrified bind wires to stun enemies then send them flying.

Strategically adapt to the situation and leverage both styles to dominate and destroy hordes of enemies.

Endless Entertainment

Whether you’re brawling in the secret Castle arena, singing a new karaoke song, enjoying a drink at the live-action cabaret club, or racing in the pocket circuit, the world offers a variety of immersive experiences.

An intriguing informant named Akame also provides thrilling sub-missions, drawing you into an epic showdown that unfolds the more you explore and enjoy Sotenbori, Yokohama and the mysterious Castle.

Notes
  • If you already own the PlayStation 4 version of this game, you can get the PlayStation 5 digital version at no extra cost and you do not need to purchase this product. Owners of a PlayStation 4 disc copy must insert it into the PlayStation 5 every time they want to download or play the PlayStation 5 digital version. PlayStation 4 game disc owners who buy the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition disc-free console will not be able to get the PlayStation 5 version at no extra cost.
  • Offline Multiplayer (two players).
  • Remote Play allows users to connect to and play games on their PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5 using a mobile device, PC, or another PlayStation 4 or PlayStation 5.
  • Offline play enabled.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Agent Kiryu..? I dunno... Im a huge fan and Ill prolly be there day 1 but I was glad it was over and they rebooted it as turn based and made Judgment series the new action ones...but now we're going back to Kiryu as main protagonist? I want a new Judgment game :c

xrnzaaas

I know it's not crucial in a game like Yakuza but they actually picked pretty bad combat pictures, including super low quality textures on the wall.

Agent Kiryu..? I dunno... Im a huge fan and Ill prolly be there day 1 but I was glad it was over and they rebooted it as turn based and made Judgment series the new action ones...but now we're going back to Kiryu as main protagonist? I want a new Judgment game :c
Like a Dragon 8 (the next mainline game) will be turn-based and retain Ichiban as the main protagonist. Gaiden is more of a like side project for people who want to play as Kiryu again.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I know it's not crucial in a game like Yakuza but they actually picked pretty bad combat pictures, including super low quality textures on the wall.

Like a Dragon 8 (the next mainline game) will be turn-based and retain Ichiban as the main protagonist. Gaiden is more of a like side project for people who want to play as Kiryu again.

seems like they have a lot of side projects. Hopefully the main ones dont suffer because of it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Nice.

Is Sega really going to do a double whammy and release Yakuza and Persona both of them in November?

I would absolutely lose my shit if true.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
They said from the start that this has action combat.
Too bad.
That's the one thing that made that game interesting to me - I'd have preferred if they improved the TB combat to be less filler-like and actually offer some challenge instead of just doing away with it.

TB comedy combat in such a real world scenario is a pretty unique thing.
Oh, well.
Back to ignoring the series, I guess.

AmuroChan

Too bad.
That's the one thing that made that game interesting to me - I'd have preferred if they improved the TB combat to be less filler-like and actually offer some challenge instead of just doing away with it.

TB comedy combat in such a real world scenario is a pretty unique thing.
Oh, well.
Back to ignoring the series, I guess.

They're not doing away with it. Like a Dragon 8 will be TB. The core games will be TB, and the spinoffs will be action based.

NT80

Will there ever be a graphical upgrade this gen with a Yakuza game like there was going from PS2 Yakuza to PS3 Yakuza and then PS4 Yakuza?

Fbh

Man they are starting to milk this franchise, not sure how I feel about this unless they actually start adding some new interesting mechanics.

I like how they made a big deal about Yakuza 6 being "the final entry in the story of Kazuma Kiryu"
Then after literally a single mainline entry without him he is back with his own spinoff and as co protagonist of Yakuza 8 lol

They are definitely milking it, but to me this franchise is like a form of comfort food. Once a year it's just nice playing one of these, and as long as they keep introducing interesting stories and characters I don't see myself every getting truly tired of it.

NT80

This is cross-gen, so likely not.
I know but I'm wondering if there'll be an upgrade like there was with previous gens at all with future Yakuza games in the current gen. Probably won't be until PS6 with this gen being so underwhelming.

El Muerto

Not sure how i feel about the "high tech gadgets", i just want to beat people with items in the street. I really hated the dumb card system in Ishin and how it detracted you from using heat actions. Still going to buy it day 1 like any Yakuza game.

Mephisto40

They haven't. If anything, this reinforces they're commited to it, because the next main game (Like a Dragon 8) will be turn based and they made a shorter side-game for those that like brawlers
I absolutely hate the turn based combat in like a dragon, I can't even begin to think why the publisher seems to think this is how people want to play the game

At least give us the option of both like final fantasy 7 remake

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My first foray into the series was Like a Dragon (7). This character had a super minor role in that game, but I found him largely uninteresting. I also really loved the turn based combat, which this game doesn't have.

I'll probably get this (since it sounds like this plays into the story of 8) but the action combat is a bit disappointing for me personally.

This game is completely and utterly unnecessary but I'm going to play it anyway. Very cautious on the future of the franchise though - Nagoshi probably wasn't involved in the day to day for years but I just wonder how the series will go without his presence, mostly due to ignoring the little things.
The Kiryu fight in Like a Dragon where he never targets female party members was brilliant though, and does make me a little hopeful that the people taking over get the franchise will be good caretakers.

Top Bottom