• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth only lists NG+ in premium editions of game (extra $15 and $40)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/like-a-drag...n-to-lock-new-game-behind-a-dollar15-upgrade/

It makes it all the more baffling, then, that Sega's upcoming Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth is locking its New Game+ mode behind its Deluxe and Ultimate editions, which cost an extra $15 and $40 on top of the base game respectively. This is a series which, traditionally, has had its own features locked behind a NG+ run such as the legendary difficulty mode.

Tarnpanzer

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

• LOL
Reactions: Isa
Just charge more for the base game and stop with the tiered bullshit. You could justify the former with the amount of content on offer and you just piss people off with the latter.
I never play NG+ in any game and wouldn’t pay a penny more for it to be included. That said, the cost for them to program and test it must be minute in relation to the overall cost, so it should just be free to use.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I never play NG+ in any game and wouldn’t pay a penny more for it to be included. That said, the cost for them to program and test it must be minute in relation to the overall cost, so it should just be free to use.

I think of more like this: games should be more expensive but publisher's don't want to raise prices and their solution is to offer multiple versions of the same game with tiers that can exceed $100 and a lot of the times the tiers above the standard version have "bonus" items or features that were previously included in the standard version of the game. I'd rather just see games be more expensive in the first place and ditching the tiered approach.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Never played NG+ in a Yakuza, they're story driven games I cba to replay, though just wandering the world after the end (even if the last save is always just before or whatever, though it's better if the end is acknowledged) to do the rest of the side content and what not is nice so it's hopefully viable.

Edit: this is also meant to be the biggest game in the series so with side content we're probably looking at 100 hours or something, no way I'm redoing all that stuff, even while keeping my skills/levels and whatever else (which will further trivialise redoing all that side content for rewards/upgrades).

Last edited:
Man, I hate this shit. Went from being a day one purchase to now becoming a bargain bin buy where I can get the "premium" version on the cheap. I wish more consumers would use this strategy so the publishers wouldn't try to nickle and dime us at every turn.

graywolf323

The shitty part is, the original Japanese release of 7 did this with the option dungeon and NG+ as well, and the international release just had them as part of the game. Now Sega just decided to fuck everyone over.
downside to getting a worldwide release day 1 it seems, the previous greedy DLC they did at launch in Japan they’re now doing everywhere since it’s no longer a delayed release for the rest of the world 😕

Schmendrick

If that turns out to be true then the game jumps from my "will definitely buy" into my "skip completely" list.
I loved the last game, but I'm not awarding practices like this with a single cent... And I'm not even playing NG+ modes....

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Yakuza games take so fucking long to finish that Ive never once considered a NG+ run anyway so this means nothing to me.

Bummer for those that give a shit though I guess

Three

I still remember when Yakuza released a standard edition in a steelbook case and all the DLC was free. Then since the name changed to Like a Dragon, the monetization became worse than Ubishit.
It was about the time they started showing up on PS+ and GP. You've got to monetise that engagement somehow.

Never played NG+ in a Yakuza, they're story driven games I cba to replay, though just wandering the world after the end (even if the last save is always just before or whatever, though it's better if the end is acknowledged) to do the rest of the side content and what not is nice so it's hopefully viable.

There are games were the developers locked story content or the "true" ending behind new game+.

graywolf323

There are games were the developers locked story content or the "true" ending behind new game+.
Tomb Raider: Underworld might be the absolutely most egregious example of something like that, not only is there an epilogue locked behind DLC, the DLC is STILL exclusive to the Xbox 360 version (despite the game releasing on every platform under the sun)

Nvzman

Yakuza is DEFINITELY not one of them. Apparently Yakuza 7 also charged for NG+ in Japan, as it released earlier than the west, which was a more updated, content-dense version. This is one of the first times a Yakuza/LAD game is releasing worldwide on the same date.
To be honest, for a series like Yakuza/Like A Dragon, NG+ being locked behind a paywall is largely meaningless (even if its a shitty business practice), these games are like 40-60 hour long linear RPG games, theres zero reason to replay the game once you beat them unless you haven't played it in years. Its not like a game where choices matter like Cyberpunk or Baldurs Gate, or a shorter bite-sized game built for replayability like Devil May Cry.
As bad of a practice as this is, I think boycotting it entirely (especially considering this looks like the best game of 2024 so far already) is just downright stupid and an overreaction. Just buy the base game if you're interested and don't pay extra for the NG+. Genuinely who the fuck cares for a series like this.

Last edited:
I'd rather just see games be more expensive in the first place and ditching the tiered approach.
Good point and I agree completely. Same goes for micro transactions and such. Stop scheming for ways to get more money. Just raise the asking price, make a good game, and include all the content for everyone.

LordCBH

I'm more miffed that a bunch of classic karaoke songs are only in the ultimate edition :messenger_sad_relieved:

Are there actually karaoke songs in the dlc this time? Last game had a “karaoke pack” that only added songs to the jukebox you could listen to, but not to the karaoke minigame.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are there actually karaoke songs in the dlc this time? Last game had a “karaoke pack” that only added songs to the jukebox you could listen to, but not to the karaoke minigame.
Unclear. The website just says:

Increase your in-game playlist with classic karaoke tracks

So 🤷‍♂️

NT80

As bad as a practice this is (if true) In this game's case I'm not bothered as I've never felt the need to play a new game +. What's the point of it?

Labadal

I was going to skip it since it is a $70 game plus this NG+ crap, but managed to get an order for $50.

Scummy practice.

NanaMiku

I'm more miffed that a bunch of classic karaoke songs are only in the ultimate edition :messenger_sad_relieved:
I also thought it was locked for the karaoke. But it seems it will be the same as the previous one. Now you have a music player when roaming around and this DLC will add more songs to the music player.

Reactions: Isa

RavageX

They don't need to think this kinda stuff is ok. I almost always preorder this series, but did not with the last game (Gaiden) and still haven't bought it, and looks like I won't preorder this one either.

saintjules

Doesn't affect me. Yakuza games are usually one and done. I couldn't see myself doing a 2nd playthrough as these games are long as it is.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They don't need to think this kinda stuff is ok. I almost always preorder this series, but did not with the last game (Gaiden) and still haven't bought it, and looks like I won't preorder this one either.

Didn't need to get Gaiden because it's on Game Pass, but you better believe I downloaded it to play DAYTONA 2 at home!

Metnut

Seems like the base edition gives you a 80+ hour game with no micro transactions or online crap. If they want throw in some extra add-ons for a one-time higher price it’s fine with me.

I’ll be passing on the deluxe version and buying the base version.

I'm sure yongyea is going to post a ragebait video like he does with all his videos because that's his market/shtick for YouTube revenue and call out Sega on this, and not just write a pathetic tweet on X, by slightly sugarcoating and handwaving Sega on how NG+ paywalls are not okay and how he has a history of fighting this evil as the self-righteous savior of the games industry.

EDMIX

I knew it was time to worry when they changed the name in the west and that YongYea click bait fucker was involved.

No.....not like this

giphy.gif

Top Bottom