• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased his Name | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

likeadragongaidendemo.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased His Name

Platforms:

• PlayStation 5 (November 9, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (November 9 2023)
  • PC (November 9, 2023)
Reviews Roundup:

MetaCritic: 82/100 - Based on 19 Reviews

G2G4q30.png

OpenCritic - 85 average - 100% recommended - 9 reviews

CkqlAoU.png

Critic Reviews:​

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 7 / 10
As an intermission or appetizer before the next big installment of the series, the Ryu ga Gotoku Studio Studio pays tribute to Kazuma Kiryu with a minor but hard to resist installment.

Cerealkillerz - German - 8.2 / 10
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name offers the usual high class story, which demands some knowledge from the previous Yakuza entries. The agent abilities insert themselves perfectly into the combat and there are also again, a lot of sidequests to do, sadly without much new elements. This short trip to Sotenbori is a must have for fans of the series but will be difficult for Newcomers to get into.

Final Weapon - Raul Ochoa - 4.5 / 5
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name delivers an impactful story through the perspective of Kazuma Kiryu, the beloved protagonist of the Yakuza/Like a Dragon series. In preparation for Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Gaiden bridges an important gap in the timeline while providing additional context with new characters that enter the fold. Meanwhile, Gaiden introduces various improvements to the signature combat system and many hours of compelling content as a can't-miss entry in the series.

GameSpot - Michael Higham - 8 / 10
RGG Studio's latest action-brawler is a captivating and emotional look at Kiryu's life that offers a 'greatest hits' of the series' gameplay.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10
Like A Dragon Gaiden has one of the better stories of the series, acting as a love letter to Kiryu that fans are going to fall in love with.

PCMag - 4 / 5
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name is another excellent entry in the Yakuza/Like a Dragon series, one that's packed to the gills with crime drama, oddball humor, and many mini-games.

Shacknews - Lexi Luddy - 9 / 10
Having now completed every side mission, substory, and objective in a little over 25 hours, I can only hope Ryu Ga Gotoku learns from this game and works on more bite-sized spin-offs fleshing out the rest of this universe roster of loveable weirdos, gallant heroes, and snarling villains.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
cat Heavy breathing GIF

Must...wait...for...a...physical...copy.

Play Asia charged me! Physical copies should be shipping soon.

Do you pay any extra for customs?

Last time I ordered a game from USA I paid a shit ton of customs. Way more than the actual special edition itself.

I'm from Europe.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Stafford

PROS
New fighting style is fun
When the story gets going, it's great!

CONS
Half the game is a snoozefest
When the story isn't going, it's unenjoyable!

Should've just been DLC for Infinite Wealth

Last edited:

Housh

cat Heavy breathing GIF

I have a physical copy coming from VGP. Now I wonder if I can buy the DLC...to the DLC in my region and if the save file for the demo of Infinite Wealth will properly carry over since I'm NA region. We'll see.

SCB3

I really need to get back to these games, I own them all but only played 0, Judgement and Like a Dragon 7 (the one with Ichiban) and had a good time with them, Kiwami seems short enough so may start there

protonion

cat Heavy breathing GIF

Last time I ordered a game from USA I paid a shit ton of customs. Way more than the actual special edition itself.

I'm from Europe.
I have never paid customs for Play Asia orders. Neither for orders from USA (limited games etc). I'm from Greece.

PROS
New fighting style is fun
When the story gets going, it's great!

CONS
Half the game is a snoozefest
When the story isn't going, it's unenjoyable!

Should've just been DLC for Infinite Wealth

Oh, I highly doubt it’s unenjoyable. I enjoy many such things.

StereoVsn

cat Heavy breathing GIF

I'm from Europe.
They are out of Hong Kong I believe so it would depend on particulars for your country and HK. No customs in US, at least for couple hundred $ orders.

Reactions: Isa

Nankatsu

Gold Member
They are out of Hong Kong I believe so it would depend on particulars for your country and HK. No customs in US, at least for couple hundred $ orders.
Well shipping is between 10€ for normal and 28€ for Express. Plus, in my sad country everything that is more than 22€ will most likely stop at customs.

Overall game would be 58€, VAT included, but would probably end up costing more. Read reports in my country where for a 34€ game from Play Asia a dude got charged extra 40€ at customs.

Last edited:
cat Heavy breathing GIF

I'm from Europe.
Get it from VGP (Canadian store). You'll pay the VAT for your country at checkout and ofc the shipping as well (free above $80.00 CAD). Then it's just a waiting game as it will arrive with PostNL.

You can also get the Japanese physical release from amazon.jp if you want it asap, but it's more tricky as there's a chance that the customs guys will need additional details about the product you're trying to import from Japan before it clears it. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

EDMIX

Play Asia charged me! Physical copies should be shipping soon.
Same.

25 hours to do everything? In general I'm happy with that but it feels weird saying that about a Yakuza game.

Day 1 regardless.

True, but its about the quality. They do great stories, fun side activities and i think this is a great entry for the old school fans who like the action style

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Any reviews mention the full list of arcade games it includes (and how good the emulation/ports are)?

It's probably worth buying just for those alone (without waiting for Infinite Wealth which will probably have at least some of the same) since it includes Daytona USA 2 and Fighting Vipers 2 for the first time.

I think Virtua Fighter 2.1, Motor Raid, Sonic the Fighters and a variety of 80s stuff like Fantasy Zone and Flicky are also confirmed.
None of these reviews bothered to show Daytona USA 2
None of the reviewers in question are gamers confirmed, then.

Last edited:

El Muerto

We dont need reviews, we know it's gonna be good. Not in a hurry for my play asia order, just gonna leave the copy sealed and play it on gamepass.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Found some Daytona 2 footage, shitty stream quality, low framerate and steady hiching though...

No getting in the cabinet animation or anything, what is this, some second rate low budget crap?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FYI, the New Zealand trick works for Game Pass. Downloading at least, should probably work for playing the game as well but will update when download is finished.

yqIbspR.jpg

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
25 hours to do everything? In general I'm happy with that but it feels weird saying that about a Yakuza game.

Day 1 regardless.
I'm very happy with this. I haven't touched the last couple of games as they are too daunting. I may blast through them knowing that future games will be more manageable.

Top Bottom