• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: The Man Who Erased his Name | Review Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We're back baby!

Feels good to be playing as Kir ... i mean Joryu.

q8bQrhs.jpg

ZoLUVa9.png

UnS4BOS.jpg

vWtpY5P.jpg

adamsapple

Oh and one IMMEDIATE advantage of this being back to Dragon Engine and not UE4 like Ishin, no texture pop-in on camera cuts in cut-scenes.

It was way too frequent in Ishin.

adamsapple

What time does this hit game pass? Ready to play!

Assuming 12AM rest of the world, but if you change your region to NZ, it's been live for the last couple of hours.

Last edited:

Labadal

I did myself dirty. I forgot that I had this pre-ordered with the Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, and PlayAsia do not do individual delivery. I'll see you guys in two to three months.

PsyEd

Played it for a bit. A bit of downgrade when it comes to action...IMHO Lost Judgement styles and combat felt way better. Looks great but seems rushed.

Those who are interested to see the PC settings/options...made a quick vid.

Started on professional mode to get my money's worth...seems already the bosses who faced me so far not really a match. I'm sure it will get better...there goes my weekend!

ssringo

Played for 4 hours before calling it a night. It's a nice, familiar Yakuza Like A Dragon game and is a fun way to tide me over while waiting for the big release in January.

The live action cabaret stuff is...okay I suppose. Could just be the hostess choices aren't my type but live action stuff in games just never sat right with me regardless of the context. Sega CD memories...

Darts is still my favorite minigame to just goof off with.

Reactions: Isa

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Played this a bit. Unlocked Yakuza combat style and a bit further too so, still very beginning. The very first little arcade you visit in the early linear sections has both Daytona USA 2 and Fighting Vipers 2 right there (and some other stuff). Kind of disappointing I didn't have to search it out more, lol. I don't think I'll keep playing this game, I have more than half of Kiryu's saga left to play through still so it has to wait where Like a Dragon/Infinite Wealth/Lost/Judgment don't. Anyway, it's the frst time I actually get to play Daytona USA 2, I never bothered emulating it myself. I'm not sure emulation is 100% accurate, some of the smoke/tire/fire effects seem a little bit off. Otherwise it (Fighting Vipers 2 too) seems to run at the original resolution with no enhancements (even with the bad texture filtering, or mip maps, or both), just some light scanlines and letterboxing so it's not too blown up.

The game plays great but seeing it in person for the first time, more or less its original look rather than enhanced with emulators, I see a lot of its look is smoke and mirrors, lots of 2D, very low res elements, lots of things that are obviously low poly or with only the side facing the camera modeled as they used to do to maximise the polycount of things the players would actually see while playing. Lots of COOL stuff too of course, it was pioneering and jaw dropping in 1998 and still looks great. Still, Dreamcast's Daytona USA 2001 isn't as far behind as I thought visually, it's mostly different like a reimagining of the original with a slightly less fantasy based track design and overall look (and with that reflection/shine effect being a bit of a miss). Previously I used to concede Daytona USA 2 is the one Model 3 game showing enough of a power gap to not be easy to approximate on the Dreamcast to the level of Virtua Fighter 3tb, Fighting Vipers 2 or the even better ports of SEGA Bass Fishing, Virtua Striker 2 and Virtual On 2 but now I'm not so sure, it seems within Dreamcast's capabilities, they probably chose to reboot the original just because it was far more popular and famous.

Last edited:

RNG

I'm disappointed they didn't give Kiryu the broken OP 360 degree throw from Yakuza 6 where everyone goes down like bowling pins for Yakuza-style stance.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Held off on this so I could give Ishin a shot. I'm really liking the game, but I am definitely looking forward to a non-UE4 Yakuza again.

Glad the game seems to have turned out - wasn't sure given the whole "this started as DLC" thing, but it looks like the real deal.

• Fire

adamsapple

Per the Xbox app, I have already spent 15 and a half hours in the game, which feels kinda excessive considering it came out yesterday :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But more to the point, it's already 2 hours more than I spent 1000G'ing Robocop.

Even a shorter Like a Dragon game is pretty beefy in terms of content.

SkylineRKR

I like what I played so far, its a Like a Dragon game, but one with the classic combat. Finally HDR.

I first played a ton of Sega Racing Classic 2, and I finally won Beginner with the expert car and manual. But I can't stop playing Fighting Vipers 2. I use my Sanwa with it. Game is fucking awesome. I liked it on DC already, but this Model 3 version was ofcourse better (backgrounds and lighting is superior).

Hudo

Man, I slept on this series so hard an only got into it with Yakuza: Like A Dragon. And now it has become one of my all-time favorite series. Can't wait to play this as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game takes input from my flight stick so the camera is constantly drifting to the left as it interprets the twist axis in a weird way, that hasn't happened to me in a while, are we going backwards in terms of controller support or what?

Games should let you choose the active controler(s) if they just decide to accept all input.

And to think that back in 2012 when I finished sleeping dogs on PC and just got my PS3 just some months earlier, I searched for similar games for that platform, and found this franchise with Yakuza 3 and 4. So I went for Y3 and got engaged. The rest is music as my wallet gave some bucks to sega in the years comming.

RNG

Per the Xbox app, I have already spent 15 and a half hours in the game, which feels kinda excessive considering it came out yesterday :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But more to the point, it's already 2 hours more than I spent 1000G'ing Robocop.

Even a shorter Like a Dragon game is pretty beefy in terms of content.
I feel your pain. There's just so many good games this quarter.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like what I played so far, its a Like a Dragon game, but one with the classic combat. Finally HDR.

I first played a ton of Sega Racing Classic 2, and I finally won Beginner with the expert car and manual. But I can't stop playing Fighting Vipers 2. I use my Sanwa with it. Game is fucking awesome. I liked it on DC already, but this Model 3 version was ofcourse better (backgrounds and lighting is superior).
Wait, this one finally has HDR? For a game that takes place 90% in the dark, that's actually pretty awesome news.

YukiOnna

Held off on this so I could give Ishin a shot. I'm really liking the game, but I am definitely looking forward to a non-UE4 Yakuza again.

Glad the game seems to have turned out - wasn't sure given the whole "this started as DLC" thing, but it looks like the real deal.
For one the substories and such definitely have more volume in place of it being a smaller side game, yet just as fun, which is nice. Mainline can be a bit daunting to want to complete everything, but easy to do here.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve only completed Ishin. Working on Y7 on chapter 6.

Still plan to play this on gamepass. Idgaf if idk what’s going on. Looks fun.

SkylineRKR

My winning run. You need low 17's. My fastest is on Supermodel3, a high 16. I really need to learn the other 2 tracks. I don't think I ever managed to win them.

Its kind of a bummer this game isn't its own app, with leaderboards, BOTE rom... perhaps some online play thats soon dead. Sega should go the Capcom arcade stadium route.

Supermodel3, when properly set up, is better. Its the true Daytona branding, great widescreen support, all versions etc.

By the way, FV2 has Del Sol and Kuhn unlocked by default. Pretty neat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom