• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

mancan92

Banned
Tbh that wobble thing is very much a issue for people who live in a house with kids as they arent careful at all when removing discs. My little brother has destroyed many a disc and I can only imagine it getting worse with this. Its such a stupid oversight.

The thing has 3 feet. It wasn't meant to be pushed on from the glossy side. The majority of the weight of the system is directly above where the 3 feet reside. Thus, it is in balance, just asymmetrically--quite like the internal hardware itself (i.e., CPU and GPU).

The ratio of the visual design itself (glossy vs. matte) ironically mimics the weighting of importance placed on the different aspects of the internal hardware: 1/3 to CPU and 2/3 to GPU

: P

ironcreed

Banned
It is both flat and even. Why does it matter that it moves when pushed? Solution: Don't push it. The same could be said of my 3DS screen -- it wobbles when I push it.

Yes, I realize it is designed that way. I just don't like it, despite loving the way it looks.

Alienous

Download and put the update on USB.

1.)When powering on, press and hold the power button to enter safe mode. (Hold for 7 seconds)

2.) Tried a regular reboot same thing happened (Option 1) Failed
3.) Tried to rebuild system database (Option 4) Worked.

System booted regularly.

Tried to reboot the system, and it went back into a non-functioning mode.

Still on the phone with support to get the issue resolved.

The day I got my Vita at launch, it bricked. I could turn it on, and it would freeze after 5 seconds. I rebuilt the database probably dozens of times. I was at breaking point. Then it just started working again in a matter of hours.

I have hope that this will work out well. Good luck. Keep trying. It probably isn't a hardware fault, so don't give up. I'd rebuild the system database a few more times.

Marcel

Maybe consumers expect that when purchasing a $400 plus tax electronics device, that device won't wobble to the point you need to stick cloth underneath to prop it up?

You're gonna put WHAT underneath the PS4? Don't void your warranty. Go with Taco Bell wrappers.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
can you even imagine the shit storm that would come from significant faulty HDMI port numbers or worse?

More free games on the way?

I am hoping for this to be a very small %'age ... I still have not so fond memories of my PS3 demise.

I don't plan to buy any new systems until next year, but to all of you that are in this boat right now...

Good luck everyone! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Theeze

Neo Member

1.)When powering on, press and hold the power button to enter safe mode. (Hold for 7 seconds)

System booted regularly.

Download the 800MB update version not the standard 300mb. Yes it formats everything and resets everything from scratch, but it sounds like part of the update corrupted.

jmls1121

Banned
Tbh that wobble thing is very much a issue for people who live in a house with kids as they arent careful at all when removing discs. My little brother has destroyed many a disc and I can only imagine it getting worse with this. Its such a stupid oversight.

This.

Listen, if you're a single 20 something bro, this is nothing to worry about. But if you have a family with kids that treat things like shit, its an issue. Not a "cancel my preorder issue" but a stupid design decision.

blurays dont scratch

Midas

The QC by Sony on PS4 really seems to be subpar, they must have gone with extremely cheap components. DS4 and now this, just imagine what it'll look like come Friday. Should have sold my stocks a month or so ago, this won't be good at all.

oatmeal

Banned
Just put your copy of Knack under the other side to stop the wobble. You solve two problems:

1. The wobble
2. What to do with that copy of Knack that you're not playing

System booted regularly.

Listen to me:

If there is an option to Reinitialize/Reinstall firmware/Restore system, use that one. Rebuilding the database doesn't sound like it should fix this problem. You gotta reinstall everything through USB.

Also, after restoring/reinitializing/reinstalling the firm, if after rebooting the PS4 doesn't display anything, try changing the inputs of your TV/Monitor, cycle through them and come back to the HDMI. Where I work, we had that problem sometimes and a lot of people thought it was a brick.

Good luck mate.

skc

Banned
The wobbling thing isn't a big issue but it is surprising coming from Sony who I consider only second to Apple when it comes to paying insane attention to detail when it comes to industrial design.

So in that sense it's disappointing.

gcubed

This.

Listen, if you're a single 20 something bro, this is nothing to worry about. But if you have a family with kids that treat things like shit, its an issue. Not a "cancel my preorder issue" but a stupid design decision.

how is it an issue?

The QC by Sony on PS4 really seems to be subpar, they must have gone with extremely cheap components. DS4 and now this, just imagine what it'll look like come Friday. Should have sold my stocks a month or so ago, this won't be good at all.

I missed the DS4 issues

Can someone link me to that topic?

WarMacheen

Apparently the initial retail unit Sony gave Kotaku to review was bricked, also.

http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-the-kotaku-review-in-progress-1463521231

And by bricked what you mean is that the HDMI wouldn't physically connect completely.

Here are the facts: In the past week, my Kotaku colleagues and I have used one pre-release PS4 and three retail PS4s with no problems. I've also heard from fellow gaming reporters who've used their PS4s with no problems. But the first retail unit that Sony provided me failed to work when I plugged it into a TV in Kotaku's office. A colleague and I were able to compare it to a second PS4 that did work and we found that the issue was rather simple: the bad unit had a faulty HDMI jack that we couldn't fully plug an HDMI cable into. It couldn't make a solid connection and therefore, apparently, couldn't transmit a stable signal to our TV. We tried different cables and monitors. The issue was with the console. P

oVerde

Banned
WTF is a clitoris.

You must find it
640px-Clitoris.JPG

Moobabe

This.

Well then aren't your kids going to treat the console like shit regardless of the wobble then?

That's why I stay away from launch consoles. However I'm getting a ps4 once ground zeroes comes out in spring by then any small issues should be corrected

i could care less about a wobbly console when pressed.

i do care about this white light deal, hopefully it is a contained small thing. something i won't come across :'(

The wobble is not an oversight. It was designed that way so it looks better if you place it vertically. You can argue the merits of that design choice if you like, but it's kind of silly to suggest that someone overlooked it.

Considering how easy it is to take this system apart... I wonder if the faulty HDMI connector would be an easy part to fix/replace

Is it sodered to the mainboard or does it snap in place?

So did somebody determine it's only a faulty HDMI connector? Doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

edit: nevermind, just read above posts

Wille517

Neo Member
So between all the review outlets and early released units across the entirety of the internet we have heard of 3 conformable instances of faulty or malfunctioning consoles and there is hurricane Katrina class shitstorm ffs what was the RROD debacle like on here. This is utter nonsensical hysteria.

dorkimoe

Hope you get it figured out. Some of the replies here are embarrassing.
This. Is. Neogaf!

Yeah I wish people would settle down and either give advice or wait for what sony says instead of cluttering it up with your embarrassing one liners and gifs

jmls1121

Banned
Well then aren't your kids going to treat the console like shit regardless of the wobble then?

Yes! So in that case, the sturdier the better.

Seriously I would pay $100 more pure electronic device if companies built their devices like tanks out of Nintendium so that they were kid-proof.

Of course, there is nothing any company could do about my kid shoving a chocolate bar into our DVD player this weekend.

Marcel

Sounds like a problem with kids rather than the PS4. Send them to day care while you're Knacking it up and touching the console constantly while the disc is spinning.

Top Bottom