• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know. Why is it not a fair comparison, Foobarry?

Because publishers like Fangamer take a different approach, based on pre-orders, which is a more customer friendly approach.

You are a rabid fan of the Vita and are happy to put up with the constraints of LRG's business model. But if you think about it for a moment, you'll see that, by all means, it is really quite inconvenient for many people, because one basically has to plan their week around every new release date. So naturally, for a good number of other Vita enthusiasts, and certainly for people who aren't following up that closely on Vita news and games, that means they'll either miss out on the release and will be forced to feed the scalpers' wallets later on, or else they are forced into the same craze most of us on here endure every couple of weeks.

So you can praise LRG for their business model, which clearly works well for them. But likewise you can also praise Fangamer et al. for taking a bit more of a risk by taking pre-orders in stead (and potentially end up getting stuck for months with a good number of copies, because there's no sense of urgency with potential customers). Also, for some games, like for example DariusBurst CS, I'd love for it to get a fullblown retail release for example, which is never going to happen. What LRG is doing now for that game is awesome, but it's like the 2nd best scenario imo. That game deserves to be on retail shelves, available for everyone to buy.

Because publishers like Fangamer take a different approach, based on pre-orders, which is a more customer friendly approach.

You are a rabid fan of the Vita and are happy to put up with the constraints of LRG's business model. But if you think about it for a moment, you'll see that, by all means, it is really quite inconvenient for many people, because one basically has to plan their week around every new release date. So naturally, for a good number of other Vita enthusiasts, and certainly for people who aren't following up that closely on Vita news and games, that means they'll either miss out on the release and will be forced to feed the scalpers' wallets later on, or else they are forced into the same craze most of us on here endure every couple of weeks.

So you can praise LRG for their business model, which clearly works well for them. But likewise you can also praise Fangamer et al. for taking a bit more of a risk by taking pre-orders in stead (and potentially end up getting stuck for months with a good number of copies, because there's no sense of urgency with potential customers). Also, for some games, like for example DariusBurst CS, I'd love for it to get a fullblown retail release for example, which is never going to happen. What LRG is doing now for that game is awesome, but it's like the 2nd best scenario imo. That game deserves to be on retail shelves, available for everyone to buy.

Oh, okay. I wasn't really complimenting or ragging on their business model, just making an observation about how they never fail to shift their games so far while Play-Asia is still sitting on copies of Soldner months later, which I was surprised with.

Nothing more than that. I'm sure all that other stuff you said is spot on, lol :p

emb

snip
I agree with all that. LRG's model is a necessary nuisance, but other digital->physical publishers deserve praise too.

As a consumer, the small order window is annoying. In that respect, for a given individual game, I'd rather see 505 or iam8bit or almost anyone else publish something. I wish more companies were able to do larger runs, or the existing ones would push more devs to physically publish their games.

It doesn't directly benefit me for LRG to sell out of a game (though as a fan I'm happy for them!). However, it does indirectly benefit me: the quick sell through means they can make it their primary business and offer more games faster. They've done dozens of games over the past couple years, while something like Fangamer has done just a couple. LRG is able to provide a lot of options, and make me consider games that I might have otherwise never gotten a shot at.

The scalping doesn't seem as bad lately, anyway. Just looked at Astebreed and Pang, and they're going for 50 and 40 respectively. That's far from being outside the realm of reason (aka >$60) for a video game. No doubt it comes down to individual titles and how many people got burned though.

Type40

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours on physical disc for the PlayStation 4. The limited edition is limited to 2,000 copies available worldwide. Region free.

This is going to be a mess.

Shizuka

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours on physical disc for the PlayStation 4. The limited edition is limited to 2,000 copies available worldwide. Region free.

This is going to be a mess.

It should sell out so fast, they're bound to make a lot more whenever they release the Vita version.

Yikes, $210 in releases next week.

We offered up a vote on Twitter to see if people would prefer to have Nova-111 by itself today and the option to pair it with DARIUSBURST won out. It was a close vote, though.

I was leaning towards separate releases due to the big total price, but we wanted to honor the popular vote on it. Hopefully, it all goes OK and everyone doesn't skip out on Nova-111. It's a nice little game but I could easily see people skipping it for DARIUSBURST.

hawk2025

We offered up a vote on Twitter to see if people would prefer to have Nova-111 by itself today and the option to pair it with DARIUSBURST won out. It was a close vote, though.

I was leaning towards separate releases due to the big total price, but we wanted to honor the popular vote on it. Hopefully, it all goes OK and everyone doesn't skip out on Nova-111. It's a nice little game but I could easily see people skipping it for DARIUSBURST.

I'm getting all three and the vinyl, but I'm really worried the cart system will screw me out of either :(

What if Nova sells out before Darius goes up?

Does the vinyl go up before the game?

Should I check out twice?

Ugh :(

Fularu

Banned

I have the Japanese CE for Darius Burst. Are there any differences between it and yours?

Is anyone aiming for just the standard version of Darius Burst? May is shaping up to be a moderately heavy release month for me, and I don't think I can justify an extra $40 for a box, some figures, and a cd.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Does anyone sell the CD soundtrack for DS:CS by itself? Or digitally somewhere?
I'm not into vinyl and am skipping the CE most likely.

What's in the Darius CE to warrant the extra $40?

Description says soundtrack cd and two figures... are we talking tiny little things here or something actually substantial to be worth the asking price?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
What's in the Darius CE to warrant the extra $40?

Description says soundtrack cd and two figures... are we talking tiny little things here or something actually substantial to be worth the asking price?

You should check out CD prices in Japan. There's your $40.

Darknight

The $100 pricetag means it'll probably last longer than one minute at least, lol

Can someone from LRG please tell us they wont ship these LE in a shitty box with no padding like they did with The Silver Case? Whats the point of buying a LE if the item will get messed up on its way to your house?

This is my biggest issue right now. Im still upset my TSC copy came torn on one side.

Edit: Bought the LE PS4 TSC copy from Atlus and it had bubble wrap around the item. Just for reference.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone from LRG please tell us they wont ship these LE in a shitty box with no padding like they did with The Silver Case? Whats the point of buying a LE if the item will get messed up on its way to your house?

This is my biggest issue right now. Im still upset my TSC copy came torn on one side.

Edit: Bought the LE PS4 TSC copy from Atlus and it had bubble wrap around the item. Just for reference.

The page itself says that it will be bubble wrapped.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You should check out CD prices in Japan. There's your $40.

Guess I'll just buy the standard version then, no point wasting an extra $40 and possible shipping increase (sending to UK) for some cardboard and a soundtrack CD. The value for money just isn't there.

Or I could use this as an opportunity to finally cut the habit :)

So far I have every LRG numbered release since they began, but the releases are only becoming more frequent and popular. And more eyes means bigger releases (such as Dariusburst) which warrant even heftier price tags - so the whole thing can quickly spiral out of control money wise just to feed the OCD in me of a 'complete set'.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this boat :p

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Going to be sweet deleting that game off the memory card. Mine arrives tomorrow.

I did once there were hints of it being released by LRG. My 32GB is almost maxed... I was surpried I got there already, but all the DLC and DD-only games filled it up quick! (I need a 64 ome day...)

Saoshyant

Have there been any news on the Skullgirls release since early February? It's a bit hard to navigate though Labzero's blog categories thing for some reason, so I'll assume I may have missed something.

Have there been any news on the Skullgirls release since early February? It's a bit hard to navigate though Labzero's blog categories thing for some reason, so I'll assume I may have missed something.

Lots of updates here and there. I think PS4 will ship in May, Vita a bit later. I can't remember if they have ever sent updates by email though.

I really wish such stuff gets communicated better, I had no idea there was a delay. :(

Considering this was said on the order page at the time people ordered it, people really should not be getting mad at them just because they didn't read the page.

Please note that production delays at Sony have delayed Flinthook by a few weeks. We hope to be shipping within 2 - 3 weeks. We will keep customers updated through email on the production and shipping schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom