• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/GambitiousInc/status/728552554360115201

ChxV0mTWUAAyZh9.jpg
ChxVzqpXIAA9_gq.jpg

Xeodrifter is pretty surprising. Kinda cool to see a really 3DS centric dev''s game get a physical Vita release. I still haven't played my digital copy of it, but I really liked Mutant Mudds.

CONFIRMED

May

- Futuridium LP (PS4 - LRG6)
- Futuridium LP (VITA - LRG7)

June

- Xeodrfter (PS4 - LRG8)
- Xeodrfter (VITA - LRG9)

TBA

- Cosmic Star Heroine (PS4/Vita - ???)
- Volume (Vita - ???)
- Y2K (PS4/Vita - ???)
- Soldner X2 (Vita - ???)
- Rainbow Moon (PS4/Vita - ???)
- Lost Sea (PS4 - ???)

I guess Soldner X-2 and Lost Sea are supposed to be in July:

https://youtu.be/lbVlKWkQ2xw?t=38m14s

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Not to mention that I've seen situations where companies would tease something before the announcement, websites would pick that up as a confirmation and that'd hurt the company.

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, but yeah I'm sure I've seen that happen a few times. For some reason the fans can feel "betrayed" but on false announcements, and towards the company too! I dunno...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
You know what game I would kill for as part of this? Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I'd pay like $60 for that on a disc.

Cheerilee

You know what game I would kill for as part of this? Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. I'd pay like $60 for that on a disc.

Wayforward just mentioned in their Half-Genie Hero Kickstarter that they're currently in talks with publishers about a possible physical release of Half-Genie Hero.

Yeah but it is an insanely expensive one so I would be all for it added.
Nintendo shut down GameBoy Color cartridge production a couple decades ago.

Is there a reason why LR hasn't done a PC release? I think there's some good games that could finally have physical copies. Games like:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Firewatch
Undertale

Even if it was just a USB stick and a box, it would still be cool

Is there a reason why LR hasn't done a PC release? I think there's some good games that could finally have physical copies. Games like:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Firewatch
Undertale

Even if it was just a USB stick and a box, it would still be cool

The main reason (other than them still being new and only having a few releases so far) is probably because there's just not a huge market for physical PC games anymore, unless it's some fancy CE, which wouldn't be something LRG could do. If all it would be is a disc or usb with the game files on it, that you then have to install to play, it really isn't much better than being given a code and told to download it on Steam. The box isn't the only thing physical collectors want from them, they want a disc/card that has more to it than just being a game install.

There's already one or more companies doing PC releases (Indiebox) and there's really no need for a seperate company really. Anyone can press/burn PC games, it doesn't require all the Sony paperwork and regulations that LRG is taking care of for the devs.

I'd prefer if LRG doesn't do PC games.

c-murph

Personally I think PC games have 0 collector's value.

Don't exactly follow logic but ok...

There's already one or more companies doing PC releases (Indiebox) and there's really no need for a seperate company really. Anyone can press/burn PC games, it doesn't require all the Sony paperwork and regulations that LRG is taking care of for the devs.

Well, that's just like your opinion man. Rogue Legacy would make a perfect LRG PS4/Vita release.

Well, that's just like your opinion man. Rogue Legacy would make a perfect LRG PS4/Vita release.

Huh? He was talking about PC physical releases, not whether or not they should do more Vita/PS4 games.

Don't exactly follow logic but ok...

Because the only real collectible part of a physical PC release are the boxes, that disc is easy enough that anyone can burn it and it has no purpose other than being a game install. Console games on the other hand actually have the game on the disc/cart in a playable format, that doesn't require installation.

Completely random and will never happen (because Konami lol)but I would love to see a physical release of the old X-men arcade game for PS4/Vita. Always wanted a home version as a kid and I do own the Xbox live digital version but the thought of a physical copy....Yeesh!

Huh? He was talking about PC physical releases, not whether or not they should do more Vita/PS4 games.

Because the only real collectible part of a physical PC release are the boxes, that disc is easy enough that anyone can burn it and it has no purpose other than being a game install. Console games on the other hand actually have the game on the disc/cart in a playable format, that doesn't require installation.

Completely ridiculous argument. There are plenty of PS4 and Vita games that require an update and at least some form of installation. It's also not easy to take an existing PC game that is only sold on services like Steam and burn it to a disc. PC games are also very collectible and popular as Indiebox has shown. Try looking up some completed auction prices for Indiebox games on Ebay and they make the resale value of the LRG games look positively tiny in comparison.

Completely ridiculous argument. There are plenty of PS4 and Vita games that require an update and at least some form of installation. It's also not easy to take an existing PC game that is only sold on services like Steam and burn it to a disc. PC games are also very collectible and popular as Indiebox has shown. Try looking up some completed auction prices for Indiebox games on Ebay and they make the resale value of the LRG games look positively tiny in comparison.

Ok? They also do full blown collectors editions for the games they do, quite a bit more than just a game in a box. All you would get from LRG is a game in a box, that's a far cry from what Indiebox does.

Zhao_Yun

As you said, Indiebox already exists, so I don't see any reason why LRG should not focus on console games while Indiebox takes care of the PC part.
It's much harder to do small prints of console games because it has to go through the console manufacturer while you don't have that problem with PC games. I am happy that LRG is going through all the trouble to easen up the process for so many devs, so that these physical releases can actually happen, I therefore hope that they'll continue to focus on console releases since I don't see any other company which would be willing to go these lengths.

Shizuka

I agree, I'd rather have LRG doing platforms that other publishers aren't interested in instead of a platform that there are already enough cookies as it is.

Shizuka

If I could toss out a suggestion it would be Pier Solar for PS4...

If you guys arent familiar with it, its a kick ass 16 bit style rpg similar to Lunar or Phantasy Star. The guys over at Watermelon games released a physical Genesis/PC/Dreamcast version but no PS4.

http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/en/factory/shop/

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ects/cid=UP2122-CUSA00551_00-HDDBOOT000000001

Right, the company that announced a Vita port, received Vita devkits from Sony and years later told everyone that the Vita version was delayed indefinitely because they didn't have access to Vita devkits.

Right, the company that announced a Vita port, received Vita devkits from Sony and years later told everyone that the Vita version was delayed indefinitely because they didn't have access to Vita devkits.

Ya, I'm sure people would like this one, but supporting shady devs isn't exactly something that should be done here.

I would love Pier Solar for PS4/Vita but I wasn't aware of the developer being shady. Still that game would be an amazing addition to my collections.

I think Pier Solar is pretty mediocre at best. I bought it on PS4 day 1 but was very disappointed. The visual upgrades feel half-baked because only part of the game received an update, while the main characters etc. are still the sprites from the Mega Drive game. Also the game offers zero guidance, I remember being stuck in the first village forever because apparently I forgot to speak to one NPC.

On top of that the excuse with not getting any Vita devkits is a big joke, yes. They should have been honest about why they canceled the Vita version.

Would've bought the Japanese release. But no. They had to make one of them a gorram digital download
I was outright ready to move forward with an import as soon as I heard about its existence, but I wisely held out for any shortcomings and, sure enough, the sequel got botched as a voucher. Hopefully the impending success of Xeodrifter will open the floodgates for the Devolver catalog and Hotline becomes an easily negotiable item along with the possibility of reusing the Japanese cover art 'cause it's bloody awesome!

CONFIRMED
- Volume (Vita - ???)

RUMORED
- VA-11 HALL-A (Vita)
- Octodad (PS4/Vita)
- Skullgirls 2nd Encore (PS4/Vita)
Don't forget a PS4 version of Volume has been confirmed with a delayed release to follow after the launch of the handheld variant. Octodad appears pretty much locked with Father's Day in June so it's just a matter of Young Horses or LRG themselves making the official announcement. It additionally knocks out Skullgirls from the immediate future, to the best of my knowledge, given its rumored status was tied primarily to the "inked contract" remark for the aforementioned paternal game. However, I'm praying the fighter game will eventually receive a retail release down the road. I'd turn into the Cheshire Cat if VA-11 HALL-A becomes a truly done deal.

If I could toss out a suggestion it would be Pier Solar for PS4...

If you guys arent familiar with it, its a kick ass 16 bit style rpg similar to Lunar or Phantasy Star. The guys over at Watermelon games released a physical Genesis/PC/Dreamcast version but no PS4.
I can't believe I forgot about this title. It certainly would serve as a nice addition to the collection regardless of the disreputable handling of the Vita cancellation. Developers were probably immensely fatigued with the project after having spent half a decade in development with the remainder of the period invested in porting a "remastered" form across several retro platforms. I'd be down the grabbing a copy if it becomes realized.

The Pier Solar CE on Dreamcast is really slick, though. Watermelon certainly knows how to do physical right. IIRC the Dreamcast release made numerous improvements over the PS4/Wii U/Steam release. Not sure if the PS4 version was ever updated to reflect those changes.

They reached out to us early on - but they never followed up with me. I kind of expect them to do their own physical release if they have the funds.

We might do some very small run PC releases in the future but they won't be numbered as a part of the Limited Run Games Collection. There's an upcoming Japanese release that is PC only that we've tentatively (fingers crossed) been given the rights to.

Something to note: any PC releases would be actual discs with no DRM. No USB sticks (they're just not the same). These would ideally be old school "big box" style games. No frills. Disc, jewel case, manual, map, box.

Our focus and our bread/butter will always be consoles and handhelds. Any PC releases won't distract from that. :)

I can only see myself buying PC games if they are LE style and come with something special. Otherwise I don't see the point.

On the other hand "upcoming Japanese PC exclusive" made me think of Trails 3rd and I would probably buy that anyway

Clov

We might do some very small run PC releases in the future but they won't be numbered as a part of the Limited Run Games Collection. There's an upcoming Japanese release that is PC only that we've tentatively (fingers crossed) been given the rights to.

Something to note: any PC releases would be actual discs with no DRM. No USB sticks (they're just not the same). These would ideally be old school "big box" style games. No frills. Disc, jewel case, manual, map, box.

Our focus and our bread/butter will always be consoles and handhelds. Any PC releases won't distract from that. :)

If it's The Silver Case, I'd be there to buy it day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom