• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lineage 2 Revolution, an actual mobile MMO, was the world's #2 mobile game in January

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought this was interesting given this is basically a straight up traditional MMO on a phone and being this hugely successful.

Starting gameplay: https://youtu.be/lbZxHH8W9MA
High-Level raid boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bbEomrexTM
1v1 PvP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK86qdEIgjI

Number 5 is also a mobile MOBA, so when we get to the worldwide market, it's not all gacha games, Clash of Clans, and match-3 titles.

Top Grossing Worldwide: https://www.appannie.com/indexes/all-stores/rank/overall/?month=2017-01-01&country=WW

mobilemmowdj5f.png

Screens:

Hastati

That's surprising because it seems counter to the short stretch gameplay most mobile games seem to focus on. Like if it's a traditional MMO how does that work for playing during a commute or during lunch break? Are people who don't own consoles or computers playing this on their phone at home? Sounds interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's surprising because it seems counter to the short stretch gameplay most mobile games seem to focus on. Like if it's a traditional MMO how does that work for playing during a commute or during lunch break? Are people who don't own consoles or computers playing this on their phone at home? Sounds interesting.

I would suspect that's the primary driver given we seem to see this type of game work most in Korea and China.

Lineage II was my first MMO ever (started during open beta in April 2004) and I absolutely loved it. I need to look into this.

Garlador

Hey hey! I actually played a bit of Lineage II back in the day.

It wasn't anything special, but it had some amazing visuals and art direction. I decided that I liked the art far more than the game and just bought the art books instead, but I can't say I hated the MMO.

Brings me back a bit.

Gutss

Played lineage back then on the pc, is there any english version available for this game? I hope my huawei Y6 ii can run this.

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
It doesn't. Longer sessions lead to higher revenue per player. MMO'S also have a high retention because they are very social. However the time investment does mean their target audience is way way way smaller than Games with shorter sessions. That is also why these game rank high on revenue, but not on total downloads or vitality. Without vitality and a huge user base these games will start to bleed users within a few months.

Hastati

The boss gameplay is pretty impressive, I wonder how much performance varies on different devices? Pretty sure my current phone would melt.

I wonder how painful the controls are, kind of want to try it.

Cels

the #1 title on that list, monster strike, has really really long "impossible" difficulty dungeons that take even longer if you do them in co-op, like 20+ minute dungeons where you can't disconnect or you lose all progress. i'm also sure there's a positive correlation between spending money and people who do complete those long dungeons

You think people don't play games on iPad at home, or only play while commuting?

H3xum

Man I used to love Lineage II

I remember preordering it from Best Buy and receiving the giant cardboard box that had a tiny code to let me play early.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So where is FFXI mobile reimagining....its been a while since we have heard from it.

Hastati

You think people don't play games on iPad at home, or only play while commuting?

No, I just incorrectly assumed that the top apps would be the ones that were the most accessible. I don't know much about the mobile market, it was just surprising that an MMO could be #2 because I thought most of the heavy hitters were broadly popular because of how easy it is to put them down.

Man I used to love Lineage II

I remember preordering it from Best Buy and receiving the giant cardboard box that had a tiny code to let me play early.
Yep, I bought my copy from Best Buy as well. Chaotic Chronicle.

Looked just like this:

cover.png

PC requirements:

reqs.png

I had a Pentium 4 2.0ghz and a Geforce 4 ti4200, which ran the game pretty solidly. I also had 512mb RAM, but the game had a severe memory leak which resulted in me having to upgrade that to 1GB RAM. Once I upgraded my RAM, the game ran great.

Top Bottom