• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linus Tech Tips - Series X vs One X video comparison

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Dat face

giphy.gif

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
wow I didn't know quick resume was a thing even from a cold boot. How is that even possible :O

Hawk269

I remember loading Super Pipeline on C64 and it took 40 mins from a cassette.

Cold resume, the future has arrived.
Jeez...I had an Atari 800xl with a cassette drive and a friend had a 600xl. We would spend hours typing in code to make games...then at school we would bring copies to give to people. But damn, I remember how long it would take to load a game off of a cassette. A year later I got the Atari 1050 Disk Drive and thought I was in the future.

BTW...I still have and is currently connected my 800xl and 1050 Disk Drive!

JimboJones

It would be nice if you could reserve a part of the memory as a cache for older games stored on a usb harddrive like primocache just to automate the experience a bit for those games.
Probably not a thing in high demand and might be confusing for the average customer though.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Fun video with some fun quotes:
That was a lot faster than any gaming PC that I've ever used to go from not playing a game to playing a game.
I think a lot of people are gonna be replaying their favourites on the new console. This is a totally different experience.
Backwards compatibility was a really good move.
We've only got 9 games installed and we're using - pardon me - 28% of our storage? Is that with the extra 1tb storage stick in it? [Oh Yeah] Wow... and most of these games aren't even next gen games.
I'm impressed - this is a total experience changer.

Last edited:

Brofist

-PLAYS FFXV IN RESOLUTION MODE

-IS DISAPPOINTED THAT IT DOESN'T RUN AT 60FPS

I love it when channels that have no idea about video games do video game centric content 🙃

I'm sure he cares, he games on loaded 3090 PCs. Just having a little fun with the latest toy MS sent him.

ZehDon

Gold Member
-PLAYS FFXV IN RESOLUTION MODE

-IS DISAPPOINTED THAT IT DOESN'T RUN AT 60FPS

I love it when channels that have no idea about video games do video game centric content 🙃
To be fair, he's primarily a PC Gamer and PC Tech Enthusiast. In the PC space, you don't have a "resolution mode" or a "performance mode", so him not understanding that that is a thing isn't a huge sin in my eyes.

fersnake

love how now he said the ssd on the next gen consoles are better than any pc he tried, btw new next games doesnt matter now djfa;ldjfa;lk

dave_d

Jeez...I had an Atari 800xl with a cassette drive and a friend had a 600xl. We would spend hours typing in code to make games...then at school we would bring copies to give to people. But damn, I remember how long it would take to load a game off of a cassette. A year later I got the Atari 1050 Disk Drive and thought I was in the future.

Damn, I thought I was the only one that had that. Still have a ton of games for it on disk.(I bet most of them won't read anymore though.)

I used to get my mum to do it on the c64 😄, 9 times out of 10 they were really cral and it would take hours to type that shit up. Must have been several 100 lines of code per page.

LordOfChaos

To be fair, he's primarily a PC Gamer and PC Tech Enthusiast. In the PC space, you don't have a "resolution mode" or a "performance mode", so him not understanding that that is a thing isn't a huge sin in my eyes.

He gets plenty of details wrong on the PC side too, it's just not a very detail oriented channel and the videos are often fly by the seat of your pants kinds of things. Entertainment with some interesting topics, but verify your own details kinda thing.

Monster Hunter actually looks better on the Series X than One X.

Auto HDR is amazing for these titles :O

I hate that they cut the video to fucking Linus and the other dude on the couch instead of keeping the focus on the 2 TV's to see the loading in real time. I don't want to see these fucking guys. Show me the goddamn screens.

EDIT: From Final Fantasy to Doom in less than 17 seconds. That's fucking amazing

Last edited:
From the vid
Auto HDR is legit
Quick resume from cold boot is really impressive
Potentially faster loading than most PCs
Him saying Doom on XSX is now on par with PC is impressive considering there is no patch even
Playing FF in quality mode is 4k 30, he would have needed to put it on performance mode.

From the vid
Auto HDR is legit
Him saying Doom on XSX is now on par with PC is impressive considering there is no patch even
Playing FF in quality mode is 4k 30, he would have needed to put it on performance mode.
This is what i have been praying and hoping for since we learned about these next gen consoles. I want all current gen games to be running at PC high/ultra settings out of the box on both next gen consoles.

I play Division 2 every day and I drool over the PC version everytime i see it. Should be easy for Series X to hit PC Ultra settings.

LordOfChaos

From the vid
Auto HDR is legit

Doom use a dynamic renderer that moves asset quality up and down depending on if you're hitting 60fps, so that's one really cool way for a game to see an automatic upgrade on next gen, as long as it's running 60fps it keeps using the higher tier assets to the point where Linus says it looks like a high end PC version. Wish more games did that, pretty cool.

Last edited:

Kdad

From the vid
Auto HDR is legit
He played Doom at 8k 60fps HDR on on PC...maybe some hyperbole

dcx4610

DOOM might visually look as good as the PC but it's all about the frame rate and mouse/keyboard controls.

It's nice to see some games hit 60fps at 4k but high frame rate is still important for some games.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Srsly it loads faster..
is not a system seller when your fucking storage suddenly cost like 270 EUROS 🤣

Banned
Doom use a dynamic renderer that moves asset quality up and down depending on if you're hitting 60fps, so that's one really cool way for a game to see an automatic upgrade on next gen, as long as it's running 60fps it keeps using the higher tier assets to the point where Linus says it looks like a high end PC version. Wish more games did that, pretty cool.

the Forza series does this as well, but I don't know of any other game that does it besides these.

Top Bottom