• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Linus Tech Tips - Xbox One X vs. PS4 Pro vs. $500 PC

Lister

Banned
Only select games offer dynamic resolution scaling on consoles, not each and every title. Most top out at a sub-4K resolution or use checker board rendering to achieve that or 'full 4K'. A better technique for comparison would be to create custom resolution from a mid point of the scaling bounds on consoles where applicable.

Exactly. Some games do supprt dynamic resolutions, especially newer titles, but you can achieve a similar iq Pc by running at a lower resolution, instead of aiming for 4k, the exact same thing the consoles are doing.

Senua

Yea and these comparisons always leave out UHD drives and software to play it back.

Not everyone cares about UHD, I don't even have an optical drive in my PC any more.

Great, you built a gaming PC that still has a viable CPU, in this special case, you're better off upgrading your GPU, but this isn't something general, we're talking about maybe you just have a laptop to browse the web and you want to either build a gaming PC, buy a PS4 pro or an Xbox One X for your 4K gaming needs. The best and cheapest way would be to buy an Xbox One X and enjoy 4K blu-ray as well while you're at it.

Sure if dynamic and checkerboard "4k" is 4k enough for you.

Journey

Banned
Not everyone cares about UHD, I don't even have an optical drive in my PC any more.

Sure if dynamic and checkerboard "4k" is 4k enough for you.

If it's not good enough for you, then explain how you're going to get that consistently on a PC that cost you less than $600 to build. I guarantee you that you're not going be playing all games at 4K without compromising the framerate or detail settings pretty badly. You'll be getting 1440p at best.

Also, you make it seem like Dynamic is a bad thing when some of the games reviewed were running almost all the time at 4K with occasional drops in tough areas, the same would happen on PC except you'll drop framerate which is a worse experience.

Senua

If it's not good enough for you, then explain how you're going to get that consistently on a PC that cost you less than $600 to build. I guarantee you that you're not going be playing all games at 4K without compromising the framerate or detail settings pretty badly. You'll be getting 1440p at best.

Also, you make it seem like Dynamic is a bad thing when some of the games reviewed were running almost all the time at 4K with occasional drops in tough areas, the same would happen on PC except you'll drop framerate which is a worse experience.

4k gaming to me is 3840x2160 with no bullshit attached. Obvious you'll have to pay a lot more but you get the real deal, if resolution is all you care about, I prefer FPS.

And dude games like BF2 are constantly below 2160p, Forza 7 is the real 4k showcase on XB1 and you can run that at 8k 60fps on a Vega 64/1080ti lol.

TaroYamada

Xbox One X compares favorably here, PC upfront is usually more expensive so that's not surprising. But you gotta factor in the hidden costs, like Xbox Live vs. free online play on PC. Among other things.

It adds up.

Journey

Banned
4k gaming to me is 3840x2160 with no bullshit attached. Obvious you'll have to pay a lot more but you get the real deal, if resolution is all you care about, I prefer FPS.

And dude games like BF2 are constantly below 2160p, Forza 7 is the real 4k showcase on XB1 and you can run that at 8k 60fps on a Vega 64/1080ti lol.

Dude, I build my own PCs, my last build consists of Dual 1070's and a 7th gen Core i7, water cooled and overclocked, so I'm no stranger to this. We seem to be arguing different points. Are you talking about the best possible experience no matter the cost, or are we talking about the best possible experience at $500? because there's no point in talking about Ferrari's if we can't afford them. Like I said, at $500 you're much better off getting an Xbox One X, and no, Forza 7 is not the only true 4K experience and good for you if you don't care about UHD, that doesn't mean everyone else will not care, this thread is not about what's best for Senua lol.

shpankey

not an idiot
I've built gaming PC's and had one since Diablo / Tomb Raider days on the PC. There's a place for it and a place for console gaming. I do both and have times I want to do one or the other, but never both and never want to have to "chose" one over the other as a permanent and only solution.

Not sure what's up w/ all the gaf PC gamers going bonkers of late but there is no comparison to the value of a $500 XB1X by comparison at this point in time, not even close. No matter how many ways you change your argument for these specific one-off individual circumstances.

Senua

Dude, I build my own PCs, my last build consists of Dual 1070's and a 7th gen Core i7, water cooled and overclocked, so I'm no stranger to this. We seem to be arguing different points. Are you talking about the best possible experience no matter the cost, or are we talking about the best possible experience at $500? because there's no point in talking about Ferrari's if we can't afford them. Like I said, at $500 you're much better off getting an Xbox One X, and no, Forza 7 is not the only true 4K experience and good for you if you don't care about UHD, that doesn't mean everyone else will not care, this thread is not about what's best for Senua lol.

What's the other native 4k experiences? Gears 4? honest question because I haven't kept up 100%. Yea if you're starting from scratch sure the Xbox is a good deal but for me and many PC gamers who still use their old ass CPU's a GPU is a better upgrade.

Not sure what's up w/ all the gaf PC gamers going bonkers of late but there is no comparison to the value of a $500 XB1X by comparison at this point in time, not even close. No matter how many ways you change your argument for these specific one-off individual circumstances.

Lol I feel like the only PC gamer left here apart from Lister. ATM it's just constant XB1 vs PS4Pro shit flinging.

rokkerkory

Xbox One X compares favorably here, PC upfront is usually more expensive so that's not surprising. But you gotta factor in the hidden costs, like Xbox Live vs. free online play on PC. Among other things.

It adds up.

Same can be said for PC or any other platform. KB, OS, etc. Even Switch where catridges may cost more than disks.

shpankey

not an idiot
Lol I feel like the only PC gamer left here apart from Lister. ATM it's just constant XB1 vs PS4Pro shit flinging.

You're not, there's plenty of us... just not ones that have the same views on the matter. There's lots of PC and console gamers here.

I can honestly say, no matter how you want to count things, PC gaming has sapped so much money from me over the years, even w/ the upgrade process you are speaking of, with many times very little benefits for the money that was spent.

Upgrading to a new fancy Power Supply
Upgrading to some new higher performance Ram (or more of it)
HDD or SSD upgrades
New GPU's every other year
Upgrading to a new same socket CPU or new CPU w/ a new MB
Eventually a new motherboard, which can bring on a LOT of other upgrades (CPU's, GPU's, Ram, Power Supplies).
Even peripheral upgrades (monitors, mice and keyboards and gamepads) and sometimes their connections (PS2 to USB to Bluetooth)

If you've been doing it long enough, you know what I mean with the change in sockets and slots and connections forcing matters (CPU sockets, PCI to AGP to PCI Express 1 to 2 to 3, Ram types, Sata 1 to 2 to 3 to M.2, etc, etc). Without question, it's a slippery slope and at some point in time, major upgrades will have to be made to keep up, you can't just indefinitely keep upgrading with the same components and even if you spread this cost out over years, the cumulative amount is so far in excess of consoles the comparison becomes invalid again. Hell, Intel just changed their socket again, so those of us w/ skylake's or kaby lake's can't upgrade to coffee lake's w/o another new MB, despite their being compatible on every other level (not happy about this myself).

PC gaming is fun and awesome and a learning experience I love. I've learned more about computers because of gaming than most regular (even professional) users will ever know or understand, and I love it and am grateful, but I just disagree that one should go to PC gaming for expense reasons or that it holds even close to the same value as a console.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Exactly. It seems like in every Xbox One X thread, either someone pops in to chime how $500 isn't worth it, or how you can always get that game on PC and it runs and looks better... yea but what kind of PC are we talking about here?

I could buy an old Dell and slap a 1060 in it. That'd probably come out about the same. That imposes a lot of potential QOL issues with the PC build that I'd rather not have to deal with in the long term tho.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/542780...HJoVMSHgjoQyEE9dgkoKd3z2z7a5_WXBoCgSQQAvD_BwE

Assuming I have an adequate PSU, it's off to the races.

TaroYamada

Same can be said for PC or any other platform. KB, OS, etc. Even Switch where catridges may cost more than disks.

OS is true, though you could stick to Linux gaming if you are ok with the reduced options. Keyboard is kind of a meh point, there's certain parts (like a monitor, mkb, TV, etc.) that most folks already have. Maybe it's not a great keyboard, or a FreeSync monitor, or whatever, but folks generally have some of the set-up already in place. Windows is a cost that folks usually forget about though, and it's pricey.

Have a good one.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
My lounge room is set up like a cinema. Comfy ass couch, sweet 5.1, 65" tv and that's where I like to do 99% of my gaming, I mean, who choses sitting at a desk over kicking back on the couch?

Now I know big picture mode exists but it's not the same. Having a little box that is plug and play, where I can put a disk in and go is the way to go for me.

Don't get me wrong, been a pc enthusiast for ever (I'm coming up on the big 40) but consoles are a different beast and are fucking awesome in their own right. I mean look at the one x! It's crazy how they packed all that power in there! The console is dope. Pc is also dope. Move on with your lives.

Journey

Banned
I could buy an old Dell and slap a 1060 in it. That'd probably come out about the same. That imposes a lot of potential QOL issues with the PC build that I'd rather not have to deal with in the long term tho.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/542780...HJoVMSHgjoQyEE9dgkoKd3z2z7a5_WXBoCgSQQAvD_BwE

Assuming I have an adequate PSU, it's off to the races.

From experience, my brother bought an off the shelf Dell PC with a decent 6th gen Core i5 CPU, he then later tried to drop a decent GPU and the power supply could not handle it. I build my own PCs, so that's not an issue for me, but if you're buying a system, that's one of the things worth checking before buying.

Sepultura

From experience, my brother bought an off the shelf Dell PC with a decent 6th gen Core i5 CPU, he then later tried to drop a decent GPU and the power supply could not handle it. I build my own PCs, so that's not an issue for me, but if you're buying a system, that's one of the things worth checking before buying.
Thats the reason its never advisbale to buy pre-built PCs for gaming. Needless to say, Dell PCs like those are not meant for gaming in the first place.

Though you could get away with GTX 1050 Ti 4GB as it does not require any dedicated power input. And that GPU exceeds the PS4 Pro’s capabilitoes (even when paired with an i3 6th gen).

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Yeah, I had an old Dell I've been nursing along for years. It would take a 1050ti, but even with a quad core (LGA 775 chipset) it was bottlenecked quite a bit. Then the PSU started making noises, and since it was a slimline thing, the only replacements available were complete garbage.

A larger form factor one could potentially be made useful with a new PSU at least.

But if you wanted to generate a $500 build with adequate parts, modding a prebuilt would probably be the only viable option. Linus going at the Xbox One X with a 1050ti's not going to come close.

Thats the reason its never advisbale to buy pre-built PCs for gaming. Needless to say, Dell PCs like those are not meant for gaming in the first place.

Though you could get away with GTX 1050 Ti 4GB as it does not require any dedicated power input. And that GPU exceeds the PS4 Pro’s capabilitoes (even when paired with an i3 6th gen).

b4c1fcea-4063-401b-aj2z03.jpeg

Closer to a downclocked RX 470, but with more RAM, which even with the downclock, it’s still more than a 1050Ti.

Hardcore pc guys just can't wrap their heads around people that don't want to play on a pc

I don't think that's a difficult proposition for anyone to understand - whether you're a PC enthusiast or not.

The value proposition can still be contrary to what the market does, however.

Sepultura

b4c1fcea-4063-401b-aj2z03.jpeg

Closer to a downclocked RX 470, but with more RAM, which even with the downclock, it's still more than a 1050Ti.
jAAffnd.png

offering performance significantly ahead of PlayStation 4 and paired with a useful 4GB of GDDR5. GTX 1050 Ti can get you to 1080p60 in most titles with careful tweaking,
GTX 1050 Ti not only has the horsepower to comfortably exceed PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, but there's plenty of memory to spare too.
This is 1080p on Ultra settings. I have no doubts it will outperform Pro at higher res and a combination of Low, Mid and High settings.

belmonkey

jAAffnd.png

This is 1080p on Ultra settings. I have no doubts it will outperform Pro at higher res and a combination of Low, Mid and High settings.

Well I think there are some games where a 1050 ti can perform surprisingly close to a pro, but there is also some games where it does not and gets rekt.

Sepultura

Well I think there are some games where a 1050 ti can perform surprisingly close to a pro, but there is also some games where it does not and gets rekt.
Ive yet to see such examples where it gets rekt. The benchmarks show how it can handle modern games at Ultra above 30fps. The increase is resolution on the Pro is mitigated by lowering the settings to medium and high to match the Pro’s settings. Majority Pro patches have minor upgrade in settings over base version.

belmonkey

Well it's hard to compare a fair few games because they use checkerboard rendering that isn't available on PC. Quite a few of the games that render at 1440p on the Pro seem about within reach of a 1050 ti tho. Not so sure about Skyrim at 4k though.

Mohonky

Right... but the point is you can't just consider the GPU alone.

My build is an i7 4770k, 16gb DDR3 ram, 512gb SSD.

Atm I have a GTX970, but if I dropped the price of an X1X on a GPU alone, theb yeh, I'll be out front of the X1X by some margin.

Sepultura

Well it's hard to compare a fair few games because they use checkerboard rendering that isn't available on PC. Quite a few of the games that render at 1440p on the Pro seem about within reach of a 1050 ti tho. Not so sure about Skyrim at 4k though.
Ubisoft games like Rainbox Six Siege and Watch Dogs 2 do support CB. Titanfall 2 on PC does as well. Knowing the base resolution from which the game performs the pixel reconstruction is enough as a basis of comparison.

Top Bottom