• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lionsgate Interested In ‘John Wick’ TV Series Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

http://www.slashfilm.com/john-wick-tv-series/

John Wick: Chapter 2 has yet to open in theaters, but we've already heard some rumblings of a potential third chapter. If we're lucky enough to see the third installment, director Chad Stahelski plans on bringing back Winston (Ian McShane), Charon (Lance Reddick), and Aurelio (John Leguizamo) with bigger roles to play in the story. The director has more than a few ideas for the future of John Wick, including a potential television show.

After speaking with both Stahelski and screenwriter Derek Kolstad at a recent press day for John Wick: Chapter 2, it was evident those two have nothing but stories to tell about John Wick. On the first movie, they had plenty of ideas they couldn't find the time for, and the same goes for Chapter 2. They want to explore the character and the world more in the future. Possibly on television, too.

Finding the right story to tell the second time around took time. They batted around all sorts of ideas, including a prequel showing the impossible task John completed to gain his freedom. That's a story Stahelski and all involved could dig more into with a John Wick TV series:

Well, we're not doing a prequel [with Chapter 2]. We wanted to, it just didn't fit quite where we're at....We basically almost have a prequel written, but we'd save that for other aspects of the property. Lionsgate is very interested in doing a John Wick TV show, and that seems very appealing to us, to give those creative ideas to that entity, because I think in TV you could really expand on what that is, and greater than we could in just a two-hour film. We'd like to wrap-up the story we're telling now and maybe save all our prequel ideas and impossible task ideas for that medium.

The story Stahelski and Kolstad are telling now has a clear beginning, middle, and end, according to the director, so it was the wrong time for a prequel. Saving that story for a television show is likely music to the ears for fans of the first movie. It's easy to imagine the potential in a series involving Wick, some of his early jobs, and what he had to do to get out. Depicting all of that bloody mayhem under certain TV restrictions does sound challenging, though.

John Wick: Chapter Two opens in theaters February 10th.

Didn't see any threads in this or mentioned in the recent RTTP.

I wonder if they pursue this, what it means for that other Keanu Reaves TV show that the same director(s) were working on based on that Spy(?) book series.

Ixzion

I really hope the actual second movie is good.

But if they do, then please let Netflix or HBO do it. It won't work otherwise.

Geist-

I'm surprised people don't like the idea, I for one think the assassin underground has a lot of potential for interesting stories. And if they got Ian McShane it would be more than enough to carry the show.

It's really weird seeing them drive so hard on John Wick considering the first one, while fucking awesome, only did ok

But they're all in on it it seems

Kalentan

Why do studios do this? I mean, I know it's for money, but there have to be a number of people who recognize these cash grabs as terrible ideas

Well to be fair, while Lionsgate was the one that brought the idea up of a prequel TV show to the directors, they weren't against it. In fact based on the quote they're intrigued at the prospect.

Plus, they're already working with Keanu on the TV mini-series, Rain. So it's not like they couldn't probably get Keanu to also do a prequel show.

gforguava

I'm surprised people don't like the idea, I for one think the assassin underground has a lot of potential for interesting stories. And if they got Ian McShane it would be more than enough to carry the show.
Yeah, I think this a potentially great idea, The Continental is basically a kickass show waiting to happen.

Plus we could some more Ms. Perkins and that is alright by me.

John Wick is about a career assassin who left the game behind for marriage. A series about a goddamn driven career assassin in my jam. Make it like Burn Notice.

This is nothing like the Taken TV series.

Yeah, I think this a potentially great idea, The Continental is basically a kickass show waiting to happen.

Plus we could some more Ms. Perkins and that is alright by me.

There certainly is a potential in the idea but I'm not entirely sold of the idea. If they can get a compelling story and someone to direct good actions scenes then I'll certainly be interested.

If they can't get Keanu, then they shouldn't use John Wick the character. But I am all for a TV show set in that universe to flesh it out. And yeah, they should get Ian McShane.

John Wick is about a career assassin who left the game behind for marriage. A series about a goddamn driven career assassin in my jam. Make it like Burn Notice.

This is nothing like the Taken TV series.

Yeah and the world has a shitload of intrigue with it too

They're totally going to Matrix this series, which is funny because Keanu. The first has just enough hints of lore and a mystery world we don't know about and the sequels are going to spell everything out step by step and ruin the magic.

Xe4

Banned
I'm cool with it. I think there's a lot of potential if done right, and there certainly doesn't have to be Keanu for it to be good.

Worst case scenario it sucks and I don't watch it. Oh no, the horror.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
This one I think has actual potential but given they probably can't get Keanu for the rigors of TV production, it would require the casting of the millennium to make it work.

Still, the fact that the boss's son in the first movie had never heard of John Wick, makes it seem as if John's original reign of terror was about 20 years ago. That's far back enough that an actor fit to look like a much younger John Wick could be believable in the role.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If its a prequel not focusing on John, but the world. I think I would like that.... with Ian McShane starring as Al Smidgen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom