• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List games with great art that are boring and games with great art that are exciting

Micerider

Great Art Boring :

Zeno Clash

Great Art / Boring & Awesome (yes, I like middle-grounds as well):

Darksiders II, some fantastic moments and some dull ones.
Gravity Rush

Great Art / Awesome :

Rayman Origin
Uncharted 2

Great Art/Boring
Bastion
Bit.Trip games
Botanicula
Flower
Okami

Great Art/Exciting
Brütal Legend
ICO
Iron Brigade
Pixeljunk Eden
Pixeljunk Shooter 1&2
Psychonauts
Rock of Ages
Shatter
Team Fortress 2
VVVVVV

Aguirre

great art / boring:
deus ex: human revolution
human-revolution.jpg

great art / exciting:
1.jpg

Ezalc

First page has people calling Metroid Prime and Okami boring. Haha, oh wow GAF. Anyways only thing I'll say is that yes Xenoblade's Satorl Marsh is a gorgeous view at night and the game is pretty cool.

Alrus

First page has people calling Metroid Prime and Okami boring. Haha, oh wow GAF. Anyways only thing I'll say is that yes Xenoblade's Satorl Marsh is a gorgeous view at night and the game is pretty cool.

But Okami's gameplay really is boring... Its characters and art/setting make up for it though.

Man guild wars 2 has some of the best art I have ever seen in a game.

guildwars2-27.jpg

This is just a simple google search as there are a lot better pictures of the art available. I find the game "exciting" but I feel a lot of people think MMOs are boring.

pringles

Also Wind Waker, DE:Human Revolution and Mirror's Edge are also apparently boring lol.

Bastion is a good pick for Great Art/Boring. That game didn't hold my attention at all.

Great Art/Exciting: Portal/Portal 2.

Great Art / Boring:

Brutal Legend - Started out great, amazing direction and world, but by the end of the game you are playing an average and uninspired RTS and all that hack'n'slash gameplay has been thrown out the window.

Final Fantasy XII - I love Final Fantasy XII. Love the direction of this one, but after about 30 hours, there's this point in the game I never seem to pass where there's just eight hours of constant fighting and no character development.

Mirror's Edge - Well, this is just a bad game in general. The art style could of been great if it weren't for the broke-ass controls and general suck of the story line.

Windwaker & Twilight Princess - Personally, I love these games, and they have some of the best elements in the series (TP's Snowpeak Ruins is the best dungeon in the series), but they have some of the most unbearable elements as well (the overworld was generally empty, some items lost any meaning and aren't used in any dungeon besides the one they were found in, or at least it felt that way, Ganondorf felt like he came out of nowhere at the end and Zant was far more interesting, wolf Link was handled poorly, and the beginning of the game was very boring). I honestly didn't get that far in WW (I beat TP btw) because I found sailing to be far too tedious, the dungeons I played weren't fun at all, and the storyline was uninteresting.

Final Fantasy Tactics - Maybe I'm not a fan of the tactical RPG genre or the iOS version is just garbage, but I find tactics to be very boring. Cool cut scenes and sprites though.

Great Art / Exciting:

Okami - A water color painting come to life. Even common fights feel different each time and there's a lot of Zelda-like puzzles everywhere.

Final Fantasy X - Can't even put into words what the direction of this game's unique scenery is (so colorful and new). The fighting system is the best in the series and characters are always getting swapped out. First FF I played, so I was kinda disappointed that the rest of FF are all active time or whatever.

Great Art / YMMV:

No More Heroes - Thought I'd add to this list. No More Heroes, in a sense, is intentionally boring. Suda51 gives us this large world to explore, only there's intentionally nothing to explore. The boss fights and the action make it very exciting, but the gameplay kinda gets old and there isn't really a reason to play it again imho.

Myriadis

How about having ugly art, but still being awesome?

Awesome art, boring

Final Fantasy X

Surely it looks very good, especially Besaid Island, but the gameplay itself is boring. Extremely linear game.

Awesome Art, Awesome Game

Mirrors Edge

I love the clean style of that town, and on top of that the game was fun enough to replay it again in a Pacifist Run.

Prince of Persia 2008

I don't care what the haters say, for me it is a good game.
Surely, it has some flaws, but it was a great experince for me. And the Artstyle is so great, the Prince never looked better and won't look better, if Forgotten Sands is any indication.

Ugly Art, Awesome Game

Psychonauts

I think everyone agrees that the game is very ugly. But the platforming gameplay, the variety of the game worlds and the craziness in general are absolutely awesome.

Wild Arms 3

The characters and most environments look like they came right from a PS1 game. This is a PS2 game. However, they did so many things right with this game, the dungeons are really excellent and the optional stuff is huge.

Yamibito

Ugly Art, Awesome Game

Psychonauts

I think everyone agrees that the game is very ugly. But the platforming gameplay, the variety of the game worlds and the craziness in general are absolutely awesome.

What the christ? The game is gorgeous.

Zia

So, boring = bad game, exciting = good game? Topic's a little confusing. There aren't too many games I find exciting, but many I find interesting or fulfilling. Here are some attractive games I found uninteresting:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Catherine
Valkyria Chronicles

And then there are games that are hailed for their art that I find ugly and uninteresting, like Ghost Trick, Murasma and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Great art / boring:

Killer7-1024x576.jpg

KILLER 7, one of the worst games I played on PS2.

Great art / exciting:

rage_2011_10_08_21_17_07_30.jpg

RAGE, a shooting game with great shooting, criticized for lacking open world quest bullshit.
and for having a shit story and ending. i know, i know.

Korigama

Great Art/Boring Game
Odin Sphere (by comparison, I enjoyed both the art as well as the gameplay of Muramasa, the lack of hit-stun during combat in Odin Sphere being what wore out my patience)

Great Art/Exciting Game
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
And then there are games that are hailed for their art that I find ugly and uninteresting, like Ghost Trick, Murasma and Donkey Kong Country Returns.
Ugly is a really odd descriptor to use for something like Muramasa's art direction. Not to one's liking, fair enough, but ugly? Quite a weird thing to say.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
So, boring = bad game, exciting = good game? Topic's a little confusing. There aren't too many games I find exciting, but many I find interesting or fulfilling. Here are some attractive games I found uninteresting:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Catherine
Valkyria Chronicles

I think you pretty much have the exact opposite taste of me... Catherine and Valkyria Chronicles were 2 of the most original and interesting game concepts to come out of this gen (I am not familiar with Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet). And Ghost Trick/Muramasa/DKCR are all beautiful games. But you seem to have some strange hate for anything Japanese, while hailing quirky indie games with bland gameplay as the best thing ever (I remember you stanning hard for Fez when that whole controversy was going down), so what do I know?

Anyways.
Great art/boring game:
-FF8
-Eternal Sonata
-FF12
-Odin Sphere
-Bahamut Lagoon

Great art/great game:
-Rez
-Child of Eden
-Mirror's Edge
-Xenoblade
-Ico
-Shadow of the Colossus
-Seiken Densetsu 3
-Atelier Totori
-Baten Kaitos: Origins
-Dragon Quest VIII

Ugly art/boring game:
-Halo series
-Gears of War series
-Oblivion

Ugly art/great game:
-Planescape Torment

charsace

Great Art/Exciting
Deus Ex HR
Dead Space 1 and 2
Gears of War 1,2,3
Street Fighter 4
They Bleed Pixels
Shadowrun
Marc Ecko's Getting Up
Def Jam Vendetta

Can someone explain to me why Okami is a boring game? I remember there was a long (could of been ten minutes) intro with absolutely no gameplay and the characters had that animal crossing-gibberish which made dialogue kinda annoying (I could be wrong though, don't totally remember that), but I wouldn't say that made the game boring. As I stated before, each fight, even minor ones, felt different, and nothing felt reused. There was so many Zelda-like puzzles that are hidden in the environment.

HYDE

Banned
I want to love Vanillaware games because they're so beautifully drawn, but the lack of meaningful level design bores the hell out of me.

Rayman Origins on the other hand is brimming with great design choices to match the great art.

Can't believe I forgot to mention this, thank you kind sir. Also, Legends looks freakin' amazing too.

I think a lot of people are mistaking "great art" for "great visuals".

GTAIV and Skyrim don't have standout art in any way. Both are generic and photorealistic.

Great Art/Boring:

Zelda games
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Patapon
Little Big Planet
Most sprite-based puzzle platformers
Okami

Great Art/Exciting:

Rez
Bioshock
Persona 4
Yoshi's Island

Great art / boring:

Okami

Great Art / Boring

GTA4
Bastion
Fez
Okami

Great Art / Exciting

Catherine
Super Mario Galaxy
Mass Effect (yeah I know it's all completely derivative, but the atmosphere worked for me)

is okami really boring? Never played it before wanted to get the HD remaster :(

nluckett

I also found Okami really boring. I loved the art direction, but could never get into the gameplay. The mission structure is very vague, so I often had no idea what to do. And I also hated how the battles became this sectioned off fights (a weird mystical wall goes up and doesn't let you out until you beat everyone).

Great art no boring:

BUNCH OF IMAGES WITHOUT LABELS

Put some names next to those images so others can see what games you're talking about. I hate it when people do this shit.

Can someone explain to me why Okami is a boring game? I remember there was a long (could of been ten minutes) intro with absolutely no gameplay and the characters had that animal crossing-gibberish which made dialogue kinda annoying (I could be wrong though, don't totally remember that), but I wouldn't say that made the game boring. As I stated before, each fight, even minor ones, felt different, and nothing felt reused. There was so many Zelda-like puzzles that are hidden in the environment.
Yeah, the game had a pretty long-ass intro, but I liked it a lot. Wasn't boring for me at all. Some people say the game is too long. I think it has a satisfactory length.

Xero

Great art boring game
Odin Sphere ( i really wanted to like this one too, but I just couldn't do it anymore)
Okami (I think the big factor for this game is putting a good amount of time into it only to learn I was only half way through the game. I put the game down at that point.)
Dear Esther (Its kinda meant to be and I enjoyed it)
the void

Great art great game
Gears of war (I think some people just judge gears on its palette. The architecture of the world has always been beautiful though)
Deus ex human revolution
assassins creed series

Ugly art great game

conan
earth defense force

EDIT:

what you guys think about Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP?

I tried it after I got it in the humble bundle, and I beat the first part. I thought it was very boring, but I know a lot of people like it.

Skyzard

Banned
Mirrors Edge...boring? Perhaps the controls weren't good on consoles, and I agree story was poorly done...but hot damn was it exciting.

I mean you were jumping (with effort) over buildings in first person...just another day eh?

Great art, great games:

XIII: The Game

xiii1n.jpg

Alice: Madness Returns

alice-madness-returns-20110613060939017.jpg

Great art, boring games:

I'll second El Shaddai and for the 8th time or so Okami.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I'm amazed that almost zero actually boring games have been listed in this thread. It's 99% great art, great game.

Top Bottom