• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of known resolutions for next-gen games

Biker19

Banned
PC:
BF4 4k
Cod Ghost 4k
Watch Dogs 4k
AC Black Flags 4k

lol who wins

Do you realize how much money that you have to spend on PC tech to even acquire 4K resolutions on PC, including spending money on a 4K resolution monitor? It's not possible.

nib95

Banned
Entrecôte;88553807 said:
If you have a $5k 4k monitor or a multi monitor solution yeah.

SLI 780 ti should hit that for the moment.

Firstly, I PC game on a 24" 1080p monitor (albeit a very good one, for graphics and media at least). So 4k is pointless for me, but SLI 780 Ti would probably set me back around £1000+. Yes, pounds sterling not US dollars. So...nope. Will stick to 1080p for now.

Firstly, I PC game on a 24" 1080p monitor (albeit a very good one, for graphics and media at least). So 4k is pointless for me, but SLI 780 Ti would probably set me back around £1000+. Yes, pounds sterling not US dollars. So...nope. Will stick to 1080p for now.

Would probably be nearer £1200, they're expensive. 290X crossfire might just about hit it as well ;)

There is only one consumer 4K monitor by Asus on the market now. I expect next year we'll see more and the price will start coming down slowly.

Putosaure

Played AC4 on PS4 at Paris Games Week expo last week... don't know why but it was definately not 1080p... 720p for sure....

Monocle

PC:
BF4 4k
Cod Ghost 4k
Watch Dogs 4k
AC Black Flags 4k

lol who wins
And all I need to do is shell out thousands of dollars to experience those games that way.

If only there were a $400, soon-to-be released entertainment device that provides stable midrange performance...

Timu

The resolution changes depending on whats happening on-screen, we still don't know how high/low the resolution goes.
Thanks to this I'll have to play the game in 720p to be safe, don't want to take blurry pics of the game.D=

KiraXD

I think calling it a 'filmic' effect is too vague. By nature, anything 16:10 or even 16:9 could be called that.

I think a more accurate description would be, they are really going for a Lawrence of Arabia -esque 'CinemaScope' effect; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CinemaScope

I think it's smart as it serves both the role of giving their visuals a more cinematic quality, as well as the obvious performance boost provided by the lower resolution without the problem of scaling artifacts. It will STILL turn some people off given the mandatory black bars, however, so it still represents a compromise.

This has pissed me off more than anything else with movies... why do we have "widescreen" HDTV's if 1 out of 100 movies use the full screen (16:9)

I get the whole film process and lens sizes and stuff... but i want the movie to display on the full real estate of my TV... if i wanted to watch movies on a 32" TV i wouldnt have paid for a 60".

But now theyre doing this with games? Eff that. Dragons Dogma (i believe this was strictly due to MTframework limitations as opposed to wanting a cinematic effect), Beyond Two Souls... i want information on the FULL SCREEN not 2/3 of it. Video games ARENT movies... and as such can actually be made SPECIFICALLY for HDTV's with 16:9 ratio. (movies couldnt do this since theres too much variety in cameras, movie screens, etc...)

To make a game "more cinematic" by removing 1/3 of the on screen information is retarded... might as well make games 720p because youre removing about the same amount of image info displayed. :/

coldfoot

Banned
I'm in favor of adding framerates, perhaps even such as stated vs. actual framerates but for now stated is enough, to the OP. So you should add 60fps for FIFA and 30fps for AC4, NFS, Infamous, Thief on PS4, and 60fps for Titanfall and FIFA on the Xbone. Don't know the frame rates of the F2P games.

It's all about that hardware "balance" and "secret sauce" dude.

It's almost sad that the knowledge of the power differential is becoming commonplace and accepted

Sad because I can't watch you argue specs with astroturfers in the edge thread any longer

Mael

Just looking at the OP, WiiU hold surprisingly well in comparison.
I really expected way worse!

So for actual next gen bump : pc or ps4 in that order....

All dem PS4 1920x1080s and then I scroll down to Xbox One...dayum.

Has Albert received his updated list?

PC:
BF4 4k
Cod Ghost 4k
Watch Dogs 4k
AC Black Flags 4k

lol who wins

Umm...no thats just stupid

Oh man. I was just looking at a thread similar to this on beyond3d for the current gen. Awesome thread. Subscribed!

Also agree about The Order. While not technically 1080p, for all of the merits one would want from 1080p (aliasing, scaling, etc) it is 1080p. It's essentially 1080p just with no rendering information in the top and bottom black bars.

It's like calling a 2.4:1 blu-ray "not 1080p".

Yeah the pixel density is the same as 1080p so it IS 1080p because all that matters is the pixel density

nib95

Banned
It's almost sad that the knowledge of the power differential is becoming commonplace and accepted

Sad because I can't watch you argue specs with astroturfers in the edge thread any longer

The amusing thing is, I think a lot of them weren't actually even astroturfers that I was debating with. I think a lot of people just genuinely fell for Microsoft, Agies, Digital Foundry, B3D, false insiders, random Microsoft forum devs (etc) PR, borked comparisons, inaccurate maths and misinformation campaigns.

It happens though. Nvidia really screwed up the hardware discussion at the PS3 launch as well with their grossly exaggerated GPU (RSX) numbers. But this time it was a much sillier affair, given we had accurate raw performance numbers from the same source for BOTH consoles...that source being AMD...

This thread is not good viewing for MS. Really good to see all but BF4 being 1080P on PS4 though.

I think the next concern for MS will be Assassins Creed: Black Flag. Good chance it will also be sub 1080P

Also, artist, if I can make a suggestion on presentation. These lists are just going to get longer, and the readability is starting to suffer a bit from the unaligned data and random order. I'd definitely suggest alphabetizing the lists. And might it be clearer to put them in [ code ] tags to monospace it? You can still link, and I think it'd make finding specific titles and comparing them much easier. Something like this:

Code:
[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4"]Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag[/URL]          1920x1080    30fps
[URL="https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/304534982460837889"]Knack[/URL]                                   1920x1080    30-60fps
[URL="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun"]Resogun[/URL]                                 1920x1080    60fps

Or if there's another way to make an aligned table maybe, just organizing alphabetically and in columns for clarity seems like it would really help.

Top Bottom