• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Listerine Zero cheek lining peeling problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
products-lzm_0.jpg

I grabbed some of this inadvertently thinking it was normal listerine. i figured it wouldn't be considerably different.

After using it for a few days, I had sheets of cheek lining peeling off the insides of my mouth. Never had this happen before during the past couple decades. I stopped using it and haven't had the peeling issue since.

Just a heads up

The ones that are advertised as alcohol free from major brands seem to always have something completely terrible as a substitute. I used a Crest variation last year that left me entirely unable to taste anything for around 16 hours after a single use. Never used it again.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I use regular listerine and this seems to happen every time, It feels like skin just accumulates until i can feel it, really nasty.

The ones that are advertised as alcohol free from major brands seem to always have something completely terrible as a substitute. I used a Crest variation last year that left me entirely unable to taste anything for around 16 hours after a single use. Never used it again.

Isn't that the same one that turns your teeth brown?

soco

is it actually living cheek lining cells? The times I've used the crest stuff, I've never noticed a problem with my lining, but there's always some weird residue that I just assumed was some dead cells anyway or some chemical reaction.

Ecto311

I have had this before with mouthwash that has peroxide in it. Feels like it sits there and cooks off dead shit while im sleeping. I think its for the best really.

DJ_Lae

I get this whenever I chew the inside of my cheeks, which admittedly isn't very often.

Had a medicated mouthwash that was probably the worst for that (also it tasted like hell).

Isn't that the same one that turns your teeth brown?

Yeah, seems that way. Has some chemical in it that is used in pesticides.

How the hell did that make it to the market and how is it not discontinued?

I haven't had issues with Listerine, but never tried this Zero variation. WTF is the FDA doing?

Bread

Banned
I get this from toothpaste in general. Someone online said Tom's of Maine doesn't have the ingredient that causes it but it didn't help.

big_z

the same thing can happen when you eat to much sour stuff. Don't know if its true but I've heard its due to cells being damaged so your skin shedding the dead layer. On the up side im sure any bacteria living in there is also dead.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I get this from toothpaste in general. Someone online said Tom's of Maine doesn't have the ingredient that causes it but it didn't help.

Same. I usually just spend extra time rinsing to make sure its gone.

I had this happen to me when I had too many cepacol lozenges, the skin in my mouth was melting off...
I had the same thing happen with (blue) Strepsils. A weird film seemed to form on the inside of my cheeks that easily peeled off when you rubbed your finger on it. It turned out it was blue skin, leaving my inner cheek sore and raw.

AlexMogil

The flesh sloughing means Listerine's active cleaning agents are doing their job!

And now try new Hidden Valley Ranch Fat Free flavored Listerine with Sloughing Agents!

*Listerine and Hidden Valley are trademarks of the GloboChemWorld Company

How the hell did that make it to the market and how is it not discontinued?

I haven't had issues with Listerine, but never tried this Zero variation. WTF is the FDA doing?

That Crest mouthwash has a small disclaimer that the organisms it kills can leave a non-permanent stain on your teeth. I never had this issue with Act, but my wife bought the Crest stuff cuz it was on sale. This was shortly after my teeth had been whitened and my braces removed, and I was pretty furious cuz it left brown stains in between my top front teeth where the retainer I wore at night for across.

Thankfully my orthodontist was able to scrape it off without issue afterward.

Friggz

i actually stopped using mouth wash altogther and switched to warm salt water. Does a much better job and doesnt irritate my gums

Kittygirl

I work for a dentist, and the pesticide referenced is called Triclosin. It's anti-bacterial and anti-viral. We DON'T recommend any products containing it.

That said, if you also want to develop Black Tongue, use their Whitening formula. If you don't, stick to salt water or hydrogen peroxide.

Also, sodium lauryl sulfate is a known cause of canker sores in some people.

Konka

Banned
I work for a dentist, and the pesticide referenced is called Triclosin. It's anti-bacterial and anti-viral. We DON'T recommend any products containing it.

That said, if you also want to develop Black Tongue, use their Whitening formula. If you don't, stick to salt water or hydrogen peroxide.

Also, sodium lauryl sulfate is a known cause of canker sores in some people.

What about vodka?

jwk94

I googled this last week and I found out that it's from something in your toothpaste. Not sure if that's correct though.

gcubed

the same thing can happen when you eat to much sour stuff. Don't know if its true but I've heard its due to cells being damaged so your skin shedding the dead layer. On the up side im sure any bacteria living in there is also dead.

I've had it happen after eating a whole bag of sour warheads when I was a kid (like 18 years ago so it was the real warheads, not the pussy shit they try to sell now)

Kittygirl

There's actually no evidence of this.

Really? Good to know. I'm not being sarcastic here. We have a few strident patients who have convinced my boss otherwise. Since she's the dentist, and I'm reception/office manager, etc. who only has a high school education (only 2 of us here), I stopped arguing with her over this issue. I thought it was bunk, but...

Don't piss off the person who's responsible for your raises, especially when I just don't care, but need to quote the party line.

akira28

green tea. it was good enough for Mao, it's good enough for you.
Plus impregnate 3 virgins every day before breakfast.

I had some mouthwash do that to me. It was really shitty. Had to get a dentist to get the stuff off. No amount of brushing would do it. And what was funny was that it was actually whitening mouthwash!

I used a mouthwash called TheraBreath and within two days I had two brown spots on my lower teeth. Stopped using it immediately.

lol

It's literally my job to process complaints like this about Crest and Oral-B stuff.

Your mouth is peeling because there's an agent in the product that accelerates the process of skin renewal. The peeling in your mouth is just a greater volume of dead skin coming away than you are used to, the process is harmless.

Also, I've seen people post about stuff like canker sores. There is no way to account for minor allergies. Some people have minor reactions to chemicals in the product and get symptoms like swollen lips or sores in the mouth. These people would never know they were allergic until they use the product.

But yeah if this ever happens contact the company. I see dozens of people being refunded with coupons of their choice.

Chojin

lol

It's literally my job to process complaints like this about Crest and Oral-B stuff.

Your mouth is peeling because there's an agent in the product that accelerates the process of skin renewal. The peeling in your mouth is just a greater volume of dead skin coming away than you are used to, the process is harmless.

Also, I've seen people post about stuff like canker sores. There is no way to account for minor allergies. Some people have minor reactions to chemicals in the product and get symptoms like swollen lips or sores in the mouth. These people would never know they were allergic until they use the product.

But yeah if this ever happens contact the company. I see dozens of people being refunded with coupons of their choice.

Yeah I thought it pretty much was dead cells. I mean if it was bleeding or something I'd freak out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom